[✔️] September 2, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Fri Sep 2 11:59:09 EDT 2022

/*September 2, 2022*/

/[  Book review of a modern message  ] /
*‘We’re going to pay in a big way’: a shocking new book on the climate
crisis*
In An Inconvenient Apocalypse, authors Wes Jackson and Robert Jensen
write that society needs to be better prepared for an inevitable collapse
Veronica Esposito
An An Inconvenient Apocalypse, authors Wes Jackson and Robert Jensen
style themselves as heralds of some very bad news: societal collapse on
a global scale is inevitable, and those who manage to survive the mass
death and crumbling of the world as we know it will have to live in
drastically transformed circumstances. According to Jackson and Jensen,
there’s no averting this collapse – electric cars aren’t going to save
us, and neither are global climate accords. The current way of things is
doomed, and it’s up to us to prepare as best we can to ensure as soft a
landing as possible when the inevitable apocalypse arrives.

“The book tries to be blunt and honest about the depth of the crisis,”
said Jensen, “and to be blunt and honest about the current solutions,
which do nothing to deal with the depth of the crisis.” Jackson added:
“Now humanity is on a whole different journey than a gathering-hunting
society. I saw that we were going pay for this some day, and we’re going
to pay in a big way.”
Jackson and Jensen make for an interesting pairing. The former is an
agronomist, having spent his career studying the problem of soil erosion
and developing The Land Institute, which seeks to develop grains that
can be used for sustainable agriculture. For his efforts he has garnered
a MacArthur “genius” grant and a Right Livelihood Award, among other
honors. Jensen is a longtime journalist who has written books on
ecology, masculinity and radical feminism. He has received backlash for
propounding exclusionary and harmful views against transgender people,
specifically targeting transgender women, and in response to the
criticism he has doubled down on these viewpoints, continuing to
promulgate them.

In Jackson and Jensen’s view, the dawn of agriculture represents
something like original sin. This is what got humanity on to the course
of increasing energy use and material wealth that has brought us to the
current ecological crisis. Via this reading of human history, the
authors seem to be arguing that our trajectory as a technological
species capable of high energy use and large-scale agriculture is a
mistake that has taken us to a place we never should have been, and has
doomed us. In conversation Jackson endorsed this viewpoint, telling me
that our way of life has us “caught in a big Ponzi scheme that we’ve
probably had for 10,000 years. We know how Ponzi schemes tend to end.
They’re not nice things to have to deal with.”

The answer to this Ponzi scheme involves shrinking humanity from the
current 7.7 billion people to a more sustainable 2 or 3 billion. An
Inconvenient Apocalypse doesn’t describe how exactly this decline in
population will occur, nor reckon with the enormous trauma that the
elimination of the majority of humanity will inflict on humans and our
societies. Although the book is nominally oriented toward social
justice, the authors make no effort to address the fact that such a
population decline would probably be an absolute disaster for
marginalized ethnicities and sexualities, those who are disabled or
mentally unwell, and basically anyone not deemed fit for survival in the
new world. In conversation, Jensen offered this explanation:

    “A lot of past talk of population control has been based in white
    supremacy, but that doesn’t mean we can ignore the question of
    what’s a sustainable population. That’s the kind of thing that
    people have bristled against. We don’t have a solution. But the fact
    that there aren’t easy and obvious solutions doesn’t mean that you
    can ignore the issue.”

According to Jackson and Jensen, once the collapse occurs and the
Earth’s population declines, it is up to humans to figure out how to
live in a “low-energy” future – that is, one where fossil fuels are no
longer used and we essentially are back to relying on our own muscles
and those of beasts of burden. In terms of what that low energy world
might look like, An Inconvenient Apocalypse articulates an ethos that
might be summed up as the paleo diet, but for society. Because 10,000
years of so-called progress has left us in “dire straits”, the answer
involves looking back to the prehistoric millennia before humans
developed agriculture, began writing down their history, and built
societal hierarchies. Insofar as An Inconvenient Apocalypse describes
how this future could look, it involves tradespeople and agricultural
workers elevated to the high-status ranks of society, the affluent
getting taken down some notches, a wholesale elimination of the
cosmopolitan, consumerist world, and religion playing a prominent role.
One is tempted to sum it up as “make the Earth great again”.

The world of An Inconvenient Apocalypse is a very bleak one, and also
one with no middle ground. The authors write that “the future of
continued endless expansion that we have long imagined is over and a new
future defined by contraction is coming”. Any attempt to find some kind
of middle way through these two poles is simple “denying, minimizing and
ignoring” a problem that we must all face. The emphasis on this book is
on being blunt and stating truths that the authors believe to be
self-evident – there is little effort by Jackson and Jensen to argue
their case or to convince others. To be fair, Jackson and Jensen seem to
be aware that their style will put off many, stating their expectation
that many readers will simply abandon their book. Jensen said: “We set
out to write a book that, in some sense, everybody will have a reason to
dislike.”

For a book predicting the mass death of most of humanity and the end of
life as we know it, An Inconvenient Apocalypse is chillingly cerebral.
There is virtually no room for acknowledging – much less processing –
the emotional toll that such a message will take on both the authors and
their readers. That can make the book feel cold and condescending. In
conversation, Jensen showed more vulnerability, offering some of the
feelings that his vision for humanity raised within himself. In this
reader’s opinion, letting this vulnerability through more often in An
Inconvenient Apocalypse would have made for a more relatable and
ultimately more compelling read.

“I’ve wrestled with what this means in everyday life,” and Jensen, “and
these are distressing questions. It’s about wrestling with that sense of
grief, rather than trying to avoid it. And when you wrestle with that,
it means you don’t wake up every day on the sunny side of the street.
It’s weighing on a lot of us. My goal is just try to open up space for
people to say what’s on their mind.”
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/aug/31/an-inconvenient-apocalypse-climate-crisis-book

- -

/[ $24 - from an online book vendor ]/
*An Inconvenient Apocalypse: Environmental Collapse, Climate Crisis, and
the Fate of Humanity *
by Wes Jackson (Author), Robert Jensen  (Author)
Confronting harsh ecological realities and the multiple cascading crises
facing our world today, An Inconvenient Apocalypse argues that
humanity’s future will be defined not by expansion but by contraction.

For decades, our world has understood that we are on the brink of an
apocalypse―and yet the only implemented solutions have been small and
convenient, feel-good initiatives that avoid unpleasant truths about the
root causes of our impending disaster. Wes Jackson and Robert Jensen
argue that we must reconsider the origins of the consumption crisis and
the challenges we face in creating a survivable future. Longstanding
assumptions about economic growth and technological progress―the dream
of a future of endless bounty―are no longer tenable. The climate crisis
has already progressed beyond simple or nondisruptive solutions. The end
result will be apocalyptic; the only question now is how bad it will be.

Jackson and Jensen examine how geographic determinism shaped our past
and led to today’s social injustice, consumerist culture, and
high-energy/high-technology dystopias. The solution requires addressing
today’s systemic failures and confronting human nature by recognizing
the limits of our ability to predict how those failures will play out
over time. Though these massive challenges can feel overwhelming,
Jackson and Jensen weave a secular reading of theological concepts―the
prophetic, the apocalyptic, a saving remnant, and grace―to chart a
collective, realistic path for humanity not only to survive our
apocalypse but also to emerge on the other side with a renewed
appreciation of the larger living world.

    *Editorial Reviews*
    Review
    “An Inconvenient Apocalypse pulls no punches. Wes Jackson and Robert
    Jensen, in this work of Anthropocenic soul-searching, offer an
    honest, accessible, and ruefully playful look at their own lives and
    at the predicament of human civilization during this century of
    upheaval and denial.” ―Scott Slovic, co-editor of Ecoambiguity,
    Community, and Development

    “The problematic human/earth relationship will not be resolved
    anytime soon, and Jackson and Jensen’s book makes an important
    contribution to assessing our situation and envisioning a way
    forward. Anyone who has a nagging feeling that something is wrong
    and doesn’t understand the breadth and depth of the problem or how
    to grapple with it should read this book.” ―Lisi Krall, author of
    Proving Up

    "While making no religious claims, Jackson and Jensen engage the
    core questions that religious people must ask, if their own witness
    is to be credible: Who are we, and where are we in history? Do we
    have the capacity to make drastic change for the sake of a decent
    human future? Can we live with humility and grace instead of
    arrogance and an infatuation with knowledge devoid of wisdom? Read
    and consider." ―Ellen F. Davis, author of Scripture, Culture, and
    Agriculture

    "With intrepid honesty, tenderness, and grace, Jackson and Jensen
    lay out a clear framework for making sense of the most elusive
    complexities of climate crisis. Through kindred reflections and
    incisive analysis, they boldly enlighten readers of the probable and
    the possible in the decades to come. An affirmation and solace for
    the weary. A beacon for those seeking courage and understanding in
    unsettling times." ―Selina Gallo-Cruz, author of Political
    Invisibility and Mobilization

    "The nature of all living organisms, so this book argues, is to go
    after 'dense energy,' resulting eventually in crisis. If that is so,
    then the human organism is facing a tough question: Can we overcome
    our own nature? Courageous and humble, bold and provocative, the
    authors of An Inconvenient Apocalypse do not settle for superficial
    answers." ―Donald Worster, author of Shrinking the Earth

    "This is one of the most important books of our lifetime. An
    Inconvenient Apocalypse can help us face the difficult choices that
    confront us all and enable us to acknowledge the urgency of our
    current circumstance." ―Frederick L. Kirschenmann, author of
    Cultivating an Ecological Conscience

    "Wes Jackson and Bob Jensen have written Common Sense for our time.
    This book might be the spark that catalyzes the American Evolution."
    ―Peter Buffett, co-president of the NoVo Foundation

    “In this essential contribution to the public debate, Wes Jackson
    and Robert Jensen critique the capitalist forces accelerating the
    climate crisis and the intellectual-activists who have balked at
    calling for the radical changes in human behavior that could
    mitigate, if not prevent, environmental and societal collapse. Their
    contribution will prove as enduring as it is timely.” ―Jason
    Brownlee, author of Authoritarianism in an Age of Democratization

    “If you’re already concerned about our species’ survival prospects,
    this book will take you to the next level of understanding. Jackson
    and Jensen are clear and deeply moral thinkers, and their assessment
    of humanity’s precarious status deserves to be widely read.”
    ―Richard Heinberg, author of Power

    "Jackson and Jensen take a hard look at the near future as climate
    change intensifies and predict looming crises will lead to human
    suffering and radical changes. . . . [The authors] cut through
    pervasive denial about humanity's destiny in a more hostile
    environment. As in an effective seminar, they posit a situation and
    then raise questions that will resonate with readers." ―Library Journal

    "Harrowing and accessible, this is just the thing for readers
    interested in a sociological or philosophical examination of the
    climate crisis." ―Publishers Weekly

    "Climate disasters may render hope for the future tenuous, but the
    philosophical book An Inconvenient Apocalypse asserts that working
    toward social justice is still purpose-giving." ―Foreword Reviews
    (starred review)

    *About the Author*
    Wes Jackson is cofounder and president emeritus of The Land
    Institute in Salina, Kansas. A 1992 MacArthur Fellow, he is the
    author and co-author of numerous books, including Hogs Are Up:
    Stories of the Land, with Digressions and New Roots for Agriculture.

    Robert Jensen is professor emeritus in the School of Journalism at
    the University of Texas at Austin. He is the author of many books
    including The Restless and Relentless Mind of Wes Jackson: Searching
    for Sustainability and Plain Radical: Living, Loving, and Learning
    to Leave the Planet Gracefully.

https://www.amazon.com/Inconvenient-Apocalypse-Environmental-Collapse-Humanity/dp/0268203660/ref=sr_1_1

/[ The Big Book speaks -- a spiritual expansion of global warming
discussion ]/
*Bible demands action on climate change, Evangelicals say in new report*
By Jack Jenkins
August 30, 2022
The National Association of Evangelicals has unveiled a sweeping report
on global climate change, laying out what its authors call the “biblical
basis” for environmental activism to help spur fellow evangelicals to
address the planetary crisis...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2022/08/30/evangelicals-climate-change-bible/
- -
[ download the full report - The National Association of Evangelicals
PDF https://signup.e2ma.net/signup/1792452/1750437/?v=a ]

*Loving the Least of These*

Record-breaking heat waves, widespread wildfires and other extreme
weather events capture our attention. While the environment affects us
all, the most profound impacts are on those in poverty. “Loving the
Least of These: Addressing a Changing Environment” is an updated report
showing how climate change impacts the world’s most vulnerable.

As evangelicals, we believe that caring for creation is part of our
calling as stewards of God’s creation. We also believe that caring for
the most vulnerable is central to the way of Jesus. “Loving the Least of
These” explores the biblical basis for Christian engagement, the science
of climate change, how climate change affects the poor, and practical
ways to move forward. We hope this report will equip the Church with a
greater understanding and resolve to care for creation and love the most
vulnerable around the world.
https://signup.e2ma.net/signup/1792452/1750437/?v=a
*DOWNLOAD THE EXECUTIVE SUMMAR*Y
https://www.nae.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Loving-the-Least-of-These_Executive-Summary.pdf
*READ SECTION 1: A BIBLICAL BASIS FOR CHRISTIAN ENGAGEMENT*
https://www.nae.org/biblical-basis-christian-engagement/
https://www.nae.org/loving-the-least-of-these/

/[ clips from 60 Minutes reports ]/
*The Grid HD 60 Min (2022) Part Two*
  Aug 30, 2022  this giant mirror  https://www.meer.org/ will stop the
fires floods and hurricanes immediately
But those aren’t what scientists are really afraid of..  im not a
scientist so here I will let Exeter University Professor Peter Cox
Explain the urgency of this situation
https://youtu.be/_QKUO0B24PE

/[The news archive - a classic interview -- video recording ]/
/*September 2, 2005*/
September 2, 2005: Climate scientist Stephen Schneider appears on
"Real Time with Bill Maher" to discuss climate change's role in
Hurricane Katrina.

http://youtu.be/H9mWZZ2U6EQ

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*