[✔️] September 4, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Sun Sep 4 09:23:28 EDT 2022

/*September 4, 2022*/

/[ fire started in a lumber mill in Siskiyou County ]/
*Fast-moving California wildfire prompts evacuations of thousands of
residents*
By Kanishka Singh
Sept 3 (Reuters) - A rapidly moving fire in Northern California had
burned about 4,000 acres (1,620 hectares) of land by Saturday morning
and prompted evacuations of thousands of residents, some of whom were
also injured.

The blaze, called the Mill Fire, started on Friday nearly 230 miles (370
km) north of Sacramento. By Saturday morning it was about 20% contained,
according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
About 100 homes and buildings were reported destroyed by the fire,
authorities said.

California Governor Gavin Newsom proclaimed a state of emergency for
Siskiyou County...
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/fast-moving-california-wildfire-prompts-evacuations-thousands-residents-2022-09-03/

/[ it's more of a direct causation, but the BBC explains what they mean
by "linked" ]/
*How Pakistan floods are linked to climate change*
By Georgina Rannard - August 2, 2022
BBC News Climate and Science
- -
The science linking climate change and more intense monsoons is quite
simple. Global warming is making air and sea temperatures rise, leading
to more evaporation. Warmer air can hold more moisture, making monsoon
rainfall more intense.

Scientists predict that the average rainfall in the Indian summer
monsoon season will increase due to climate change, explains Anja
Katzenberger at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.

But Pakistan has something else making it susceptible to climate change
effects - its immense glaciers.

The northern region is sometimes referred to as the 'third pole' - it
contains more glacial ice than anywhere in the world outside of the
polar regions...
- -
"This is a different type of animal - the scale of the floods is so high
and the rain is so extreme, that even very robust defences would
struggle," Dr Saeed explains from Islamabad, Pakistan.
- -
Dr Saeed says the floods are "absolutely a wake-up call" to governments
globally who promised to tackle climate change at successive UN climate
conferences.

"All of this is happening when the world has warmed by 1.2C - any more
warming than that is a death sentence for many people in Pakistan," he adds.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62758811

/[ Heatwave news beat shows inequity - video ]/
*Low-Income Communities Hit Hardest By Los Angeles Heat Wave*
Sep 2, 2022  A heat wave is causing severe health problems in the Los
Angeles area—  disproportionally impacting low-income communities. Gadi
Schwartz reports.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMZiMzrBLCA

- -

/[ ABC10 - Local news talks about the impact of heatwaves -- generic
weather report ]/
*Dangerous record-breaking heat in Northern California | Sacramento Heat
Wave*
30,775 views  Aug 30, 2022  A heat wave in Northern California is
looking to break records across the Sacramento region, bringing
dangerous triple-digit temperatures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfDPpz99EY0

[ NPR delivers mental health messages ]
*Stressed out about climate change? 4 ways to tackle both the feelings
and the issues*
September 3, 2022
LISA DOGGETT

A heat wave is smothering much of the Western region including Los
Angeles. Worrisome weather trends like this can contribute to climate
stress.
Eric Thayer/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Climate change has caused more intense wildfires, heat waves, floods and
hurricanes, lengthened allergy seasons and inflicted other forms of
tangible harm. But an oft-overlooked consequence — one that warrants
urgent attention and creative problem-solving — is worsening mental health.

The COVID pandemic has been a time of enormous suffering. According to
the World Health Organization, the prevalence of depression and anxiety
increased 25% globally during the first year of the pandemic. We are
bruised and vulnerable, struggling to right ourselves after a tumultuous
two and a half years.

But the daily reminders of global warming, including extreme heat, water
rationing and parched landscapes, are threatening to worsen the
situation, and we don't have medications or vaccines to save us.

*Climate change has direct effects on mood*
Heat itself is associated with mental illness. Mood disorders, anxiety
and aggressive behavior have been linked to higher temperatures. A 2019
study published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, found that
violent crime in Los Angeles increased by 5.7% on days when temperatures
rose above 85 F compared to cooler days.

Authors of a 2018 study in the journal Nature predicted warmer
temperatures could lead to as many as 40,000 additional suicides in the
U.S. and Mexico by 2050.

"There is a direct link, and mental health and psychosocial well-being
will decline as climate change pressures increase," said Kerry Wangen, a
psychiatrist in private practice in Southern California.

People who face climate-related natural disasters frequently struggle
with mental health problems. Hurricanes and wildfires lead to deaths and
property destruction in the short-term. But they also contribute to
depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder and suicidal thoughts.

Droughts can disrupt food and water supplies and lead to loss of
livelihood, which can push families and whole communities into poverty,
a risk factor for mental illness. According to a Washington Post
analysis, more than 40% of Americans live in a county that experienced
an extreme weather event in 2021.

Climate change also leads to the displacement of populations, as parts
of the globe become uninhabitable due to sea-level rise, drought and
other weather events. The result is more conflict and stress, both of
which increase the odds of mental health problems.

*Grappling with pervasive fears*
The existential fear of climate change is a more pervasive concern, even
if it is more subtle and less disabling than mental illnesses triggered
by acute events. Fear of global warming leaves many of us feeling
hopeless and powerless, dreading what is to come and sensing it is
inevitable.

"Although I've never had a patient present primarily for climate-related
anxiety, it's common to discover that it's there alongside other social
and societal fears," said Daniel Hochman, an Austin-based psychiatrist.

A 2020 poll by the American Psychiatric Association found that 67% of
Americans are somewhat or extremely anxious about the effects of climate
change, and 55% are worried about its impact on their mental health.

According to Hochman, climate anxiety — also referred to as "climate
distress," "climate grief" or "eco-anxiety"— can manifest as dysthymia,
in which people are sad for the state of the world, and contribute to
generalized anxiety disorder major depressive disorder, panic disorder
and insomnia.

For children and young adults, aware that they have the most to lose,
the climate crisis is a common source of distress. In a global survey,
published in The Lancet in December, nearly 60% of the 16- to
25-year-old respondents reported they were "very" or "extremely" worried
about climate change. An additional 25% admitted feeling "moderately"
worried. Over 45% said climate change has a negative impact on their
daily lives.

*What you can do about it*
During this summer of record-breaking heat, efforts to combat climate
change have seen failure and triumph. On June 30, the U.S. Supreme Court
undercut the Environmental Protection Agency's ability to regulate
carbon emissions. Last week, however, Congress passed legislation that
will provide nearly $400 billion in tax credits for clean-energy
projects to slow global warming.

As we move to address the palpable effects of climate change, we'd do
well to follow the WHO's recommendations to include mental-health and
psychosocial support. We also need to boost funding for mental health
and climate-change mitigation.

Bob Doppelt, coordinator of the International Transformational
Resilience Coalition and author of the forthcoming book Preventing and
Healing Climate Traumas: A Guide to Building Resilience and Hope in
Communities, laments the inadequacies of our "crisis- and
illness-focused" mental health, social service and disaster-response
systems.

To address the "climate mega-emergency," he calls for a public health
approach to prevent and heal trauma and is working on federal
legislation to support community mental health and resilience.

For those, like me, who often stare at the weather forecast with a sense
of doom, Wangen recommends channeling our concern into positive change.
Here are a few ideas:

*1) Get involved locally*
"Find ways to do something, however small, to make an impact locally
and/or on a bigger scale," Wangen said. Increase stress-reduction
practices, such as meditation and prayer, and focus "on the present day
to keep perspective in the here and now where change can be made, and
life can be lived."

*2) Focus on small signs of progress*
Doppelt encourages people to "get engaged in an existing neighborhood or
community-based coalition or join with friends and colleagues to form a
new one that strengthens the entire population's capacity for mental
wellness and transformational resilience for accumulating adversities."
Small signs of progress, he said, help create a sense of hope.

*3) Join the conversation*
Other innovative strategies for addressing personal eco-anxiety include
attending a Climate Café, which encourages climate conversations and
political engagement. The Good Grief Network is another option that
seeks to build resilience and encourages meaningful action.

*4) Keep things in perspective*
Hochman also reminds us to get some perspective. Compared to 30 years
ago, extreme poverty and famine are lower, he points out. Prior to the
pandemic, life expectancy hit an all-time high. Energy and clean water
are more accessible.

"Despite climate change, this is by far the safest and best time to
live," he said.

This story was produced by Public Health Watch.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/09/03/1120756615/stressed-out-about-climate-change-4-ways-to-tackle-both-the-feelings-and-the-iss

/[  US Government resettling domestic climate refugees ]/
*In US, First Climate Refugees Find Safe Haven In Louisiana*
Since the 1930s, Isle de Jean Charles has lost "about 90 percent" of its
surface area...
- -
Schriever: Joann Bourg stands in front of her new home, about an hour's
drive from the low-lying Louisiana island where she grew up -- an area
gradually sinking into the Gulf of Mexico.
"I'm very excited. I can't wait to just move on in," Bourg told AFP.
"I've been waiting for this day forever."

Bourg is one of about a dozen Native Americans from the Isle de Jean
Charles who have been relocated to Schriever, less than 40 miles (60
kilometers) to the northwest -- the maiden beneficiaries of a federal
resettlement grant awarded in 2016.

They are the first so-called "climate refugees" in the United States,
forced from their homes due to the consequences of climate change...
- -
"The house we had back there on the island -- well, that has been home
forever. Me and my siblings all grew up there, went to school down
there," Bourg recalls. "It was peaceful."

But the family home -- as with many others on the island -- was destroyed.

There is only one road connecting Isle de Jean Charles to the mainland,
and it is sometimes impassable due to high winds or tides.

Residents are mainly of Native American descent -- several tribes sought
shelter on the island from rampant government persecution in the 1800s.

But climate change has transformed the island into a symbol of the
scourge that plagues much of hurricane-prone Louisiana -- coastal erosion.

90 percent under water

Eventually, 37 new homes will be built in Schriever to accommodate about
100 current or former residents of Isle de Jean Charles, thanks to a $48
million federal grant initially allocated in 2016.

"This is the first project of its kind in our nation's history," state
Governor John Bel Edwards, who was on site to see the residents close on
their new properties, told AFP.

"We've had people over the years that we would buy their homes out and
move them. But we've not done whole communities like this and moved them
to one place before because of climate change."
- -
[...]

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/climate-change-in-us-first-climate-refugees-find-safe-haven-in-louisiana-3308578

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*September 4, 2001*/
September 4, 2001: In the Boston Globe, Theodore Roosevelt IV--the
great-grandson of President Theodore Roosevelt--declares:

    "We Americans are heading into a carbon-constrained, ecologically
    fragile future for which we are ill prepared. Under the present
    leadership we are dragging our feet, willing to sacrifice vital
    natural resources instead of making real investments in current
    efficiency and future energy technologies. This is hardly a
    conservative agenda.

    "Moderate Republicans, and I am one, are distressed that an
    administration that strenuously claims to be conservative is instead
    intent on maintaining undisciplined and wasteful consumption. This is
    unsustainable public policy, and I doubt that it will go far in
    achieving victory in the midterm elections. Bad public policy and bad
    politics are a lethal combination."

http://web.archive.org/web/20020619223452/http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0904-01.htm

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*