[✔️] September 13, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Tue Sep 13 09:51:18 EDT 2022

/*September 13, 2022*/

/[ my local chaos - Seattle area video ]/
*Washington Wildfires: Bolt Creek Fire burning more than 7,600 acres |
FOX 13 Seattle*
Sep 12, 2022  The fire has burned about 7,600 acres and is 2% contained.
One structure has been damaged. Officials said Monday that more than 680
homes and more than 100 structures are threatened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjQDA_JhpNc

/[ DeSmog reports disappointments about Prime Minister Truss of England ]/
*Liz Truss Campaign Funded by Donors From Pro-Fracking Groups and
Climate Denier*
Two are advisors to a well-connected "forum" set up by the BP-funded
Institute of Economic Affairs that wants to see UK fracking regulations
relaxed.
By Clare Carlileon -- Sep 9, 2022
- -
Two days after taking office, Truss gave the green light for new
fracking projects, putting her at odds with the Conservatives’ 2019
manifesto pledge and preempting a much-awaited report by the British
Geological Survey on the safety of fracking.

The party said it would not support the controversial technology until
it is shown “categorically” that the process can be done safely,
something that has yet to happen.

A total of £30,000 was given by individuals who steer an influential
Tory-aligned group pushing for fracking to be restarted and which
recently suggested that the UK’s climate targets could be watered down
in favour of “energy security and affordability”.

Support for transport costs was also provided by the trustee of an
Exxon-backed think tank that has proposed fracking across Europe as a
partial solution to the ongoing energy crisis.
https://www.desmog.com/2022/09/09/liz-truss-campaign-funded-by-donors-from-pro-fracking-groups-and-climate-denier/

/[  California innovation report video and text - LA Times reporter
Sammy Roth ]/
*Wall Street hits back at GOP in ESG war*
BY TOBIAS BURNS - 09/09/22
Wall Street giants are defending a widespread initiative to invest in
companies with environmentally friendly policies, moving away from
investment in the fossil fuel industry following attacks on the practice
from GOP leaders...
- -
Asset management giant BlackRock wrote a letter to GOP states that are
trying to curtail a social movement in the financial sector known as
Environmental and Social Corporate Governance (ESG), which seeks to move
the U.S. economy away from the fossil fuels that contribute to global
temperature rise.
https://thehill.com/policy/3635067-wall-street-hits-back-at-gop-state-officials-over-esg//

/[ retain reference to this high impact academic paper ] /
*Climate Endgame: Exploring catastrophic climate change scenarios*
Edited by Kerry Emanuel, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
Cambridge, MA;
August 1, 2022
119 (34) e2108146119
https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2108146119

    *Conclusions*
    There is ample evidence that climate change could become
    catastrophic. We could enter such “endgames” at even modest levels
    of warming. Understanding extreme risks is important for robust
    decision-making, from preparation to consideration of emergency
    scenarios but also the potential for climate change impacts to
    contribute to systemic risk and other cascades. We suggest that it
    is time to seriously scrutinize the best way to expand our research
    horizons to cover this field. The proposed “Climate Endgame”
    research agenda provides one way to navigate this under-studied
    area. Facing a future of accelerating climate change while blind to
    worst-case scenarios is naive risk management at best and fatally
    foolish at worst.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2108146119

- -

[ discussion of this paper ]
*Climate Endgame*
Aug 14, 2022  Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith and Regina Valdez discuss
a new PNAS perspective paper called ‘Climate Endgame: Exploring
catastrophic climate change scenarios’, which was published on August
1st, 2022.
This video was recorded on August 10th, 2022, and published on August
14th, 2022.  Some of the topics discussed:

    - How the paper represents a breakthrough from the point of view of
    providing a peer reviewed perspective on the catastrophic risks of
    the climate emergency.
    - The importance of knowing what could happen so that if it does
    happen, we can choose to be better prepared.
    - The four main questions that are brought forth in the paper.
    - The things the paper mentions that the IPCC tends to avoid.
    - How the paper states there's ample evidence that climate change
    could become catastrophic.
    - How the paper, from the point of view of the climate activist
    community does not really state anything new.
    - The discussion highlights the fact we are already experiencing
    many of the conditions the paper mentions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x6Xx4zZJyE

/[ DW documentary of serious studies  - 50 min video ]/
*Nature’s survivors: The adaptability of wildlife | DW Documentary*
Sep 10, 2022  Extreme weather events are nothing new. Many creatures
have had to adapt to big changes, over millions of years. But the
climate crisis is putting flora and fauna under unprecedented pressure.

Some animals can sense imminent natural catastrophes and take the
necessary steps to protect themselves. Over the millennia, fires,
flooding and storms have compelled these creatures to develop survival
strategies - and in some cases, even learn to take advantage of
catastrophes. There are many examples. Take, for example, the island of
Puerto Rico. It’s home to ants that survive floods by forming compact
rafts that can keep them afloat for weeks. And Australian flora and
fauna have adapted to the annual bushfires on their continent: certain
species of bird benefit from the blazes, which make their prey easier to
find.

But current pace of climate change, which has been accelerating since
industrialization, is very fast, giving animal species little time to
adapt. The rise in sea levels and the increasing frequency of
destructive hurricanes and large-scale forest fires exceed anything seen
on the planet thus far. Scientists are concerned by the rapidity of
change, and uncertainty of what awaits us in future. It’s impossible to
predict how far creatures will be able to adapt effectively to the
changes in store in the decades to come.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khccMa8IPKU

/[ Radical change should be expected -- even demanded  ]/
*‘A new way of life’: the Marxist, post-capitalist, green manifesto
captivating Japan*
Kohei Saito’s book Capital in the Anthropocene has become an unlikely
hit among young people and is about to be translated into English

The climate crisis will spiral out of control unless the world applies
“emergency brakes” to capitalism and devises a “new way of living”,
according to a Japanese academic whose book on Marxism and the
environment has become a surprise bestseller.

The message from Kohei Saito, an associate professor at Tokyo
University, is simple: capitalism’s demand for unlimited profits is
destroying the planet and only “degrowth” can repair the damage by
slowing down social production and sharing wealth.

In practical terms, that means an end to mass production and the mass
consumption of wasteful goods such as fast fashion. In Capital in the
Anthropocene, Saito also advocates decarbonisation through shorter
working hours and prioritising essential “labour-intensive” work such as
caregiving.

*‘I was as surprised as everyone else’*
Few would have expected Saito’s Japanese-language solution to the
climate crisis to have much appeal outside leftwing academia and
politics. Instead, the book – which was inspired by Karl Marx’s writings
on the environment – has become an unlikely hit, selling more than half
a million copies since it was published in September 2020.

As the world confronts more evidence of the effects of climate change –
from floods in Pakistan to heatwaves in Britain – rampant inflation and
the energy crisis, Saito’s vision of a more sustainable, post-capitalist
world will appear in an academic text to be published next year by
Cambridge University Press, with an English translation of his
bestseller to follow...
- -
“It is broadly about what’s going on in the world … about the climate
crisis and what we should do about it,” Saito said in an interview with
the Guardian. “I advocate for degrowth and going beyond capitalism.”

The mere mention of the world degrowth conjures negative images of
wealthy societies plunged into a dark age of shrinking economies and
declining living standards. Saito admits that he thought a book that
draws on strands of Marxism as a solution to modern-day ills would be a
tough sell in Japan, where the same conservative party has dominated
politics for the best part of 70 years.

“People accuse me of wanting to go back to the [feudal] Edo period
[1603-1868] … and I think the same sort of image persists in the UK and
the US,” he said. “Against that background, for the book to sell over
500,000 copies is astonishing. I was as surprised as everyone else.”

The 35-year-old needn’t have worried about using the language of radical
change; as the world emerges from the pandemic and confronts the
existential threat posed by global heating, disillusionment with the
economic status quo has given him a receptive audience.

The pandemic has magnified inequalities in advanced economies, and
between the global north and south – and the book struck a nerve with
younger Japanese...
- -
“Saito is telling a story that is easy to understand,” says Jun Shiota,
a 31-year-old researcher who bought Capital in the Anthropocene soon
after it was published. “He doesn’t say there are good and bad things
about capitalism, or that it is possible to reform it … he just says we
have to get rid of the entire system.

“Young people were badly affected by the pandemic and face other big
issues such as environmental destruction and the cost of living crises,
so that simple message resonates with them.”

Saito agrees that growing inequality has given his writing more
immediacy. “Many people lost their jobs and homes and are relying on
things like food banks, even in Japan. I find that shocking. And you
have essential workers who are forced to work long hours in low-paid
jobs. The marginalisation of essential workers is becoming a serious issue.”

The response to Covid-19 had shown that rapid change is not only
desirable, but possible, he says.

“One thing that we have learned during the pandemic is that we can
dramatically change our way of life overnight – look at the way we
started working from home, bought fewer things, flew and ate out less.
We proved that working less was friendlier to the environment and gave
people a better life. But now capitalism is trying to bring us back to a
‘normal’ way of life.”...

*‘Marx was interested in sustainability’*
Saito is deeply sceptical of some widely accepted strategies for
tackling the climate emergency. “In my book, I start a sentence by
describing sustainable development goals [SDGs] as the new opium of the
masses,” he said in reference to Marx’s view of religion.

“Buying eco bags and bottles without changing anything about the
economic system … SDGs mask the systemic problem and reduce everything
to the responsibility of the individual, while obscuring the
responsibility of corporations and politicians.”

“I discovered how Marx was interested in sustainability and how
non-capitalist and pre-capitalist societies are sustainable, because
they are realising the stationary economy, they are not growth-driven,”
Saito said.

Since the book was released, Saito has made Japan noticeably less
squeamish about the German philosopher’s ideas.

The conservative public broadcaster NHK gave him four 25-minute segments
to explain his ideas for its Masterpiece in 100 Minutes series, while
bookshop chains cleared space for special displays of revivalist Marxist
literature.

Now he hopes his message will appeal to an English-language readership.

“We face a very difficult situation: the pandemic, poverty, climate
change, the war in Ukraine, inflation … it is impossible to imagine a
future in which we can grow the economy and at the same time live in a
sustainable manner without fundamentally changing anything about our way
of life.

“If economic policies have been failing for 30 years, then why don’t we
invent a new way of life? The desire for that is suddenly there.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/09/a-new-way-of-life-the-marxist-post-capitalist-green-manifesto-captivating-japan

- -

/[ documentary about global use of water - ]/
*How The Rich Are Hoarding The World's Water | A World Without Water |
Spark*
2,030 views  Sep 11, 2022  Businesses all over the world are now buying
up water supplies and now one of the most important resources for our
survival is becoming a commodity. 'A World Without Water' tells of the
personal tragedies behind the mounting privatization of water supplies
around the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JudeyfiAL0

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*September 13, 2015*/
September 13, 2015:
The Los Angeles Times reports on the fossil fuel industry's role in
sabotaging a bill to reduce petroleum consumption in California.

"In the end, it wasn’t doubts about the global dangers of climate change
that scuttled the gasoline target, but questions of who would get to
pull the strings in Sacramento."

http://www.latimes.com/local/politics/la-me-pol-sac-brown-legislature-20150913-story.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*