[✔️] April 5, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Abrupt changes, Tipping points, Disinformation China, Google Insights, Wind turbine engineer, far right trend,

Wed Apr 5 07:22:45 EDT 2023

/*April*//*5, 2023*/

/[  Worsening weather from abrupt system change - video ]/
*Superstorms, Tornados, Hailstorms are worsening in USA from Abrupt
Climate System Change… SCIENCE*
Paul Beckwith
Apr 3, 2023
A new peer-reviewed scientific paper found that many very new and
significant changes are occurring to Supercell storms, severe Hail
storms, and Tornado behavior in the United States as a result of
anthropogenic climate change.

This paper used a very sophisticated Climate Earth System Model with a
very small grid size to get changes expected on the regional to local
scales.
Here are the main findings:

    - tornado alley is shifting eastward, to more densely populated and
    poorer regions, so there will be a lot more severe consequences to
    more vulnerable people

    - we can expect larger and much stronger outbreaks with massive hail
    and tornadoes as the climate continues to warm

    - we can expect a lot more extreme storms in March and April, not
    much change in May, fewer Supercell storms in June, July, and
    August, and more storms in the Autumn.

    - we can expect the storms to cluster more onto fewer tornado days,
    but the ones that occur will be much more numerous, and much more severe

    - we can expect more of the extreme Supercell storms to occur
    between 7 and 9 pm and less to occur between 4 and 7 pm. We expect
    more to occur after dark, which makes them much more dangerous since
    they cannot be easily seen after dark.

    - many of these changes have already happened, but will get much
    worse as the climate continues to warm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3tq-_Lx1V0

/[ Monthly webinar defines and discusses the gradual and the abrupt.
70 min video discussion ]/
*Climate Conversations: Tipping Points*
Mar 30, 2023
With continued climate change, elements of the Earth system may reach
tipping points of abrupt, dramatic change with irreversible
consequences, like the rapid collapse of ice sheets or dieback of the
Amazon rainforest. Tipping points also exist in human systems;
devastation from extreme weather and major stresses on food, energy, and
water could accumulate and tilt society into radically new dynamics such
as mass migration or major economic shifts. However, tipping points in
human systems can also be positive, and stem from rapidly spreading
norms, behaviors, and technologies, such as how battery storage could
tip the power sector irreversibly towards renewable energy. Laurie
Goering (Thomson Reuters Foundation) moderated a conversation between
Ilona M. Otto (University of Graz) and Rachael Shwom (Rutgers
University) about the tipping points we are approaching, how to prepare
for those we may reach, and how to encourage positive social tipping
points for action on climate change.

Climate Conversations: Pathways to Action is a monthly webinar series
from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine that
aims to convene high-level, cross-cutting, nonpartisan conversations
about issues relevant to policy action on climate change.

https://www.nationalacademies.org/event/03-30-2023/climate-conversations-tipping-points

/[  Disinformation words vs data -- 2 new coal plants per week -  video
report ]/
*China’s Building a Massive Number of New Coal Plants*
China Uncensored
3,987 views  Apr 3, 2023  #China
China says it wants to be a leader in green energy, but it's really
leading the world in black energy—specifically coal. In this episode of
China Uncensored, we look at China's massive buildup of its coal
infrastructure, why it sees coal as essential to its economic and
national security, and how its reliance on coal fits into its climate goals.
   YouTube demonetizes our channels, we need your support!
https://www.patreon.com/ChinaUncensored
https://chinauncensored.locals.com

/[Google tells us where to go, or lets us ask where to go ]/
*Preview Insights: Data Available for Everyone | Google’s Environmental
Insights Explorer*
Google Earth
140 views  Apr 4, 2023
Google’s Environmental Insights Explorer (EIE) has just released Preview
Insights. Now, everyone viewing a City Summary page can learn more about
a city’s Buildings data, Transportation mode split, or Rooftop Solar
Potential.

👉 Want to learn more? Read our blog: https://goo.gle/preview-insights

💻 Or, view Copenhagen in EIE: https://goo.gle/eie-copenhagen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEOkmoSs2KA

/[ lots of positive change Wind Turbine  -- ]/
*The Inevitability of a 100% Renewable Energy Supply with Rosie Barnes |
The Fully Charged Podcast*
Everything Electric Show
Mar 5, 2023  Fully Charged PODCAST
Robert is joined this week by Rosie Barnes, engineer, consultant,
speaker and creator-host of the popular EngineeringwithRosie YouTube
channel.

With many years experience as an engineer in the renewable energy
sector, especially wind turbines, Rosie takes Robert through her
journey, and the development and growth of wind turbines as a viable
solution for creating long lasting and reliable clean energy.

Rosie also recently presented an episode on The Fully Charged Show
channel all about Australia’s abundant renewables - this is a great
follow up episode to this fascinating podcast.
Find it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeUV7TbAhRE

/[ a radical message in a 20 min  YouTube video ]///
*The GOP, ESG, and the Willful Destruction of Planet Earth*
Stan Cox
April 2, 2023
- -
Newly passed anti-environmental laws have been put into action right
away. For instance, Riley Moore, West Virginia’s treasurer, took the
drastic step of announcing that his state would no longer enter into
contracts with Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Wells Fargo, and certain other
major banks, because those companies have stopped dealing with the coal
industry. When, on the heels of West Virginia’s ban, the Kentucky
legislature passed its own boycott bill, Moore issued a press release
congratulating his next-door neighbor, saying: “Kentucky joins our
growing coalition of states that have taken concrete steps to push back
against the woke capitalists who are trying to destroy our energy
industries.”

Nor does it stop with banks. The Texas legislature is, for instance,
gunning for insurance companies that refuse coverage to oil and gas
companies. Republican state Senator Bryan Hughes assured the Dallas
Morning News that “we’re pushing back hard” on any insurers that might
consider withdrawing coverage from polluting industries. “If they’re
gonna mess with money that belongs to Texas retirees and undermine the
very Texas economy,” he added indignantly, “we’re gonna teach them some
manners.”

*Who Writes These Extreme Laws?*
That so many states have been passing such legislation is anything but a
fluke. Like other retrograde measures enacted in GOP-controlled states,
those bills are based on “model legislation” drafted for legislators by
an outfit called the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). One
of that group’s model bills, the Eliminate Economic Boycotts Act, is
sweeping, if convoluted, in its language. It prohibits state governments
from investing in or dealing with any private company that “penalizes”
or “inflicts economic harm on” another company because it’s involved in
fossil-fuel extraction, logging, mining, or agriculture.
- -
“There are some indications that the conservative pushback [against
climate-friendly investing] is gaining traction. Vanguard, one of the
world’s largest investment firms, recently withdrew from the Net Zero
Asset Managers initiative, an effort intended to get institutional money
managers engaged in the fight against climate change.”

This is bad news. At the very moment when the world’s most knowledgeable
scientists are warning that an all-too-literal hell lies in store for
us, tinpot legislators in MAGA states are preparing to enforce the
dominance of a deeply fossil-fuelized version of capitalism. If so, the
repercussions won’t stay confined within any state’s borders. All 50
states will be affected. That means, in turn, that communities are going
to have to fight ever harder for the right of all of us to a livable
future. Meanwhile, purple- and blue-state legislatures need to pass
tougher laws that can help undermine the fossil-fuel industry. And the
rest of us will have to focus big time on how best to flush coal, oil,
and natural gas out of the economy for good before it’s too late.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_mUYi9Ptk

/[  A thoughtful political rant ]/
*Why You Can't Ignore This Far-Right Trend*
Our Changing Climate
186,146 views  Feb 10, 2023  #fascism #climatechange #politics
Get Nebula using my link for 40%
off:https://nebula.tv/videos/occ-why-climate-action-might-need-sabotage
Watch the full companion video on Jair Bolsonaro here:
https://nebula.tv/videos/occ-the-dark-cost-of-brazils-expresident

In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I look at the
rise of fossil fascism and ecofascism on the far right. As the world
gets warmer and fossil fuels become increasingly untenable there are now
glimpses of two trends within the far right that are a reaction to
climate change. Ecofascism and fossil fascism.

I leaned heavily on the book White Skin, Black Fuel which you can find
here: https://www.versobooks.com/books/3812...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGlrX6lA9O8

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*April 5, 2002*/
April 5, 2002: New York Times columnist Paul Krugman denounces White
House press secretary Ari Fleischer's "...use of a press conference on
the crisis in the Middle East to shill, once again, for the Bush energy
plan," observing:

    "Even if the United States weren't dependent on imported oil, the
    Middle East would still be a strategically crucial region, and the
    Israeli-Palestinian conflict would still be a world nightmare.

    "But to the extent that oil independence would help -- and it would,
    a bit, by reducing the leverage of Persian Gulf producers -- the
    Bush administration has long since forfeited the moral high ground.
    It has done so by vigorously opposing any serious efforts at
    conservation, which would have to be the centerpiece of any real
    plan to reduce oil imports.

    "There are many ways to make this case; here are two more. Even at
    its peak, a decade or so after drilling began, oil production from
    the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge would reduce imports by no more
    than would a 3-mile-per-gallon increase in fuel efficiency --
    something easily achievable, were it not for opposition from special
    interest groups. Indeed, the Kerry-McCain fuel efficiency standards,
    which the administration opposed, would have saved three times as
    much oil as ANWR might produce. Or put it this way: Total world oil
    production is about 75 million barrels per day, of which the United
    States consumes almost 20; ANWR would produce, at maximum, a bit
    more than 1 million.

    "Yet a few months ago, Republican activists ran ads with
    side-by-side photos of Tom Daschle and Saddam Hussein, declaring
    that both men oppose drilling in ANWR -- and Dick Cheney, when
    asked, stood behind those ads. Administration critics could, with
    rather more justification, run ads with side-by-side photos of
    George W. Bush and Saddam Hussein, declaring that both men oppose
    increased fuel efficiency standards. (Actually, I'm not aware that
    Iraq's ruler has expressed an opinion on either issue.) Of course,
    if such ads did run, there would be enormous outrage. After all,
    turnabout wouldn't be fair play because, well, just because."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/05/opinion/at-long-last.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli