[✔️] April 25, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Tech & climate activism, deep philosophical dive, SCOTUS turns back oil companies, geological records, unhinged rant $, Gore

Tue Apr 25 08:41:42 EDT 2023

/*April*//*25, 2023*/

/[ an important consideration - Amanpour report ]/
*How Crypto & Emerging Technologies are Blind Spots for Climate Activism
| Amanpour and Company*
Amanpour and Company
Apr 21, 2023  #amanpourpbs
A U.N. agency has today revealed that global sea levels are rising at
double the previously recorded rate. The World Meteorological
Organization’s report, released ahead of Earth Day on Saturday, also
shows Antarctica’s sea ice receding to record lows last year, with ocean
temperatures the warmest on record. As the Biden administration commits
another $1 billion to the international effort to fight climate change,
Hari asks climate activist John Oppermann if there is still hope of
averting disaster.
Originally aired on April 21, 2023.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwQjSVVL_0

- -

/[ this is a deeper consideration of the dire and dangerous aspects of
global AI systems - start about 50 mins in - try to skip or ignore the
commercial interruptions - this is a philosophical dive that is worth
the effort to hear - also note the chapter sections ]/
*Misalignment, AI & Moloch | Daniel Schmachtenberger and Liv Boeree*
Liv Boeree
Mar 30, 2023
A deep dive into the game theory and exponential growth underlying our
modern economic system, and how recent advancements in AI are poised to
turn up the pressure on that system, and its wider environment, in ways
we have never seen before. Not a conversation for the faint hearted, but
crucial nonetheless.

Daniel Schmachtenberger is a founding member of The Consilience Project,
aimed at improving public sensemaking and dialogue around global
catastrophic risks and technology.

    Chapters:
    00:00 Introduction
    03:21 Moloch Framework
    13:20 Meta Crisis
    27:52 Bad People or Bad System?
    32:13 Capitalism & Moloch
    40:12 Misalignment
    52:35 Incentive Pressures Driving Misalignment
    58:02 Moloch Driving AI Development
    01:01:54 AI Risks Pre AGI
    01:08:35 AI Accelerates Existing Systemic Issues
    01:16:39 Social Media
    01:20:09 Alternative Goals
    01:25:00 Cooperation on AI
    01:29:20 Call to Action

This video is part of a series on game theory, civilizational risk, and
Moloch: the God of unhealthy competition. It is the bad guy of
humanity’s story, and time is running out for us to figure out how to
defeat it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSsKV5F4xc

/[ here is a shock, SCOTUS pushes back at the fossil fuel industry ]/
*US Supreme Court rebuffs Exxon, Chevron appeals in climate cases*
By Clark Mindock and Nate Raymond

April 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear
bids by Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N), Suncor Energy Inc (SU.TO), Chevron
Corp (CVX.N) and others to move lawsuits filed by state and local
governments accusing the oil companies of worsening climate change out
of state courts and into federal courts.

The justices turned away five appeals by the oil companies of lower
court decisions that determined that the lawsuits belonged in state
court, a venue often seen as more favorable to plaintiffs than federal
court. The lawsuits were filed by the state of Rhode Island and
municipalities or counties in California, Colorado, Hawaii and Maryland...
- -
Numerous state and local governments have pursued litigation against oil
companies seeking climate-related damages. A separate appeal filed by
the oil companies challenging lower court decisions in cases out of New
Jersey and Delaware is still pending before the Supreme Court.

Theodore Boutrous, an attorney for Chevron, expressed confidence that
the cases will be dismissed in state court. Boutrous said the lawsuits
are an issue of "national and global magnitude" that require a
coordinated federal response, "not a disjointed patchwork" of actions
from numerous state courts.

"These wasteful lawsuits in state courts will do nothing to advance
global climate solutions, nothing to reduce emissions and nothing to
address climate-related impacts," Boutrous added...
- -

In that 7-1 ruling, the justices concluded that a federal appeals court
had not correctly analyzed whether a lawsuit filed by the city of
Baltimore against companies including Chevron, Exxon and BP Plc (BP.L)
should be heard in federal court.

That decision prompted other federal appeals courts to reconsider
whether they should send similar lawsuits by state and local governments
back to state courts.

Those cases included one filed in 2018 by the city of Boulder and by
Colorado's San Miguel and Boulder counties against Exxon and Suncor. The
lawsuit said the companies created a public and private nuisance and
violated state consumer protection laws, with the jurisdictions seeking
to force Exxon and Suncor to pay for their costs of adapting to climate
change. The oil companies have denied the allegations.

The Denver-based 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2022 concluded
that the lawsuit did not belong in federal court because none of the
grounds cited by the companies to change the venue supported giving
federal courts jurisdiction. Four other appeals courts reached similar
conclusions in the lawsuits by Rhode Island and jurisdictions in
California, Colorado, Hawaii and Maryland.

President Joe Biden's administration in March urged the justices not to
take up the appeal by Exxon and Suncor, arguing that no federal
questions had been raised. That marked a reversal of the position taken
by former President Donald Trump's administration when the Supreme Court
last considered the issue.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-supreme-court-rebuffs-exxon-chevron-appeals-climate-litigation-2023-04-24/

/[  for your general geological foundation - maybe reassuring that
humans don't always cause extinctions ]/
*Mass Extinction Causes Nobody Talks About! (& Addressing Comments ;) |
GEO GIRL*
GEO GIRL
Apr 23, 2023
I recently posted a video about the Top 3 Mass Extinction causes (

  • The Major Causes ...  ), and I got a lot of comments on that video
mentioning other potential causes. In this video, I talk about all the
lesser known mass extinction causes and I address a lot of the comments
from that previous video. The top 3 I discussed in the previous video
include global warming, CO2 increase & associated ocean acidification,
and ocean anoxia. The other non-top 3 but still quite devastating causes
of mass extinctions include SO2 and ash-caused global cooling, SO2 and
CO2 caused acid rain, HCl and HF caused acid rain, Cl and CH4 caused
ozone destruction, toxic substances like Hg or H2S released by volcanos
or produced by bacteria during ocean anoxic events, and astronomical
effects like nearby supernovae or gamma ray bursts. I hope you enjoy
learning about what triggers these conditions and how they affect life
on Earth during mass extinction events!
- -

    0:00 List of Mass Extinction Events
    2:48 Top 3 Mass Extinction Causes
    3:46 Warming vs Warmth Clarification!
    4:52 Top 2 Mass Extinction Triggers
    5:35 Extinction Causes Nobody Talks About
    6:43 Response to Comments About Cooling
    8:20 SO2 Caused Cooling
    12:02 CO2 & SO2 Caused Acid Rain
    13:14 HCl & HF Caused Acid Rain
    14:20 Cl & CH4 Caused Ozone Destruction
    16:25 Toxic Substances (H2S, Hg, etc.)
    18:42 Direct Impact Effects (e.g., Wildfires)
    21:12 Global Cooling
    21:58 Gamma Ray Bursts or Supernovae
    23:20 Related Videos!

- -
*Non-textbook books I recommend: *

    Oxygen by D. Canfield: https://amzn.to/3gffbCL
    Brief history of Earth by A. Knoll: https://amzn.to/3w3hC1I
    Life on young planet by A. Knoll: https://amzn.to/2RBMpny
    Some assembly required by N. Shubin: https://amzn.to/3w1Ezm2
    Your inner fish by N. Shubin: https://amzn.to/3cpw3Wb
    Oxygen by N. Lane: https://amzn.to/3z4FgwZ
    Alien Oceans by K. Hand: https://amzn.to/3clMx1l
    Life's Engines: https://amzn.to/3w1Nhke

*Tools I use as a geologist/teacher/student: *

    Geology field notebook: https://amzn.to/3lb6dJf
    Geology rock hammer: https://amzn.to/3DZw8MA
    Geological compass: https://amzn.to/3hfbdLu
    Geological hand lens: https://amzn.to/3jXysM5
    Camera: https://amzn.to/3l6fGRT
    Carbon-neutral pencil bag: https://shrsl.com/3cvjv
    Carbon-neutral backpack: https://shrsl.com/3cvkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA3iG8MPrl8

/[ opinion - is affluence harmful?  This is an unhinged rant ]/
*Are Rich People Okay? – SOME MORE NEWS*
Some More News
Apr 5, 2023  Billionaires Are Not Your Friends
Hi. In today's episode, we look at what being rich does to your
perception of yourself and others, the eccentricities of the super
wealthy, how they use their money to hold influence over our political
systems, and the dystopian future they envision for all of us.

Executive Producer - Katy Stoll
Directed by Will Gordh
Written by Jonathan Harris
Edited by Gregg Meller
Produced by Jonathan Harris
Associate Producer - Quincy Tucker
Post-Production Supervisor - John Conway
Researcher - Marco Siler-Gonzales
Graphics by Clint DeNisco
Head Writer - David Christopher Bell

Check out our MERCH STORE: https://www.teepublic.com/stores/some...
SUBSCRIBE to SOME MORE NEWS: https://tinyurl.com/ybfx89rh
Please fill out our SURVEY: https://kastmedia.com/survey/

Subscribe to the Even More News and SMN audio podcasts here:
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast...
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6ebqego...
Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/show/even-mo...

Follow us on social media:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SomeMoreNews
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/SomeMoreNews/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SomeMoreNews/
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@somemorenews

Chapters:
00:00 - Intro
03:20 - Are Rich People Okay?
17:55 - Lifestyles of the Rich & Shameless
27:43 - Monopoly Monomania and The Luck of the Draw
36:26 - Rich Pricks and Politics
41:43 -The Pronatalist Movement aka Rich People Eugenics
47:47 - Longtermism and The Afflu-ends-a Times
58:55 - To Infinity and Beyond Selfish
01:02:43 - How Do We Address The Super Rich Without Breaking Society?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP2EKTCngiM

- -

/[ some wisdom for the affluent -  Is any affluence a burden? ]/
*How To Prioritize Individual Giving and Raise 5 and 6-Figure Gifts
Regularly, Without Asking*
Positive Equation | Dana Snyder | Keynote Speaker
219 views  Streamed live on Oct 6, 2021
Giving season is here. Are you hearing crickets in your inbox from your
asks?

Let this session be your pep talk with some actionable steps to raise 5
and 6-figure gifts regularly with fundraising consultant Julie Ordonez.

We'll chat about:
- Keys to a culture of generosity
- What should fundraisers & development teams be focused on right now
when it comes to individual giving
- How to arrange a powerful donor meeting via Zoom
And much more!

MASTERCLASS: If you want to learn how to attract new donors and raise
more funds with social media ads, join my FREE masterclass:
https://positiveequation.com/masterclass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZ-wJI3ZUg

/[The news archive - looking back at bias ]/
/*April 25, 1999*/
April 25, 1999: Reviewing former ABC News correspondent Bob Zelnick's
book "Gore: A Political Life" (which was published by the right-wing
outfit Regnery), the New York Times' Richard L. Berke notes that the
book does a hatchet job on the Vice President's climate advocacy:

"For example, while some environmentalists describe Gore's book 'Earth
in the Balance' as an impressive work that incorporates his knowledge of
global warming and other issues, Zelnick dismisses it as 'pathetically
one-dimensional in its view of Western civilization, shabby in its
ignorance of economics, simplistic in its approach to problem solving.'"

http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/04/25/reviews/990425.25berket.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli