[✔️] April 27, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Senator mouths off, CO2 delusion, China wants climate talks, Farm Bill wishes, Critical of medic, Koch tax in 2014

Thu Apr 27 06:39:53 EDT 2023

/*April*//*27, 2023*/

/[  Senator rants - video babble] /
*Ron Johnson: Climate change is bad in Africa, but U.S. in ‘good shape’*
04/26/2023
https://www.politico.com/video/2023/04/26/ron-johnson-climate-change-is-bad-in-africa-but-u-s-in-good-shape-898674

/[ CO2 delusion warning ]/
*John Kerry: relying on technology to remove carbon dioxide is ‘dangerous’*
Exclusive: US climate envoy says existing measures, such as shift to
renewable energy, must be deployed faster to stop global warming
- -
The US president, Joe Biden, has come under severe criticism from
climate activists, despite his green investment push, for pressing ahead
with investment in fossil fuels.

In recent weeks, he approved an area of the Gulf of Mexico amounting to
about 73m acres, roughly the size of Italy, for drilling for oil and gas
wells. A fortnight before that, he approved the Willow project, a
drilling site in Alaska that is expected to produce 600m barrels of oil
over its lifetime. Further licences are also possible, and the US is
looking to expand its shale gas production and export to Europe under
Biden’s watch.

Kerry robustly defended these actions, on the grounds that more fossil
fuels were needed temporarily because of the war in Ukraine, and said
some oil and gas expansion could occur within climate limits,
particularly if carbon capture and storage, or other ways of reducing
the impact of the fossil fuels, could be used.

“Gas usage is an automatic 30-50% reduction over oil and coal. It’s not
clean, it’s cleaner,” he said. “So now the question is, can carbon
capture and storage be deployed at a scale that makes it possible to
meet our goals?”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/25/john-kerry-relying-technology-remove-carbon-dioxide-dangerous

/[ Who or why the change in attitude? ]/
*Despite Taiwan and spy balloon tensions, China invites US for climate
talks*
Published on 25/04/2023, 3:27pm
China’s climate envoy Xie Zhenhua invited his US counterpart to China to
discuss cooperation on tackling climate change
- -
Compared to geopolitics, intellectual property and other controversies,
climate is considered a relatively easy issue for the two sides to discuss.

Greenpeace East Asia advisor Li Shuo told Climate Home: “If both
countries can’t talk on such an issue with shared interest then I don’t
know what else is there for the bilateral relationship.”

Woodroofe said that, if the US and China are going to cooperate, it has
to be now. Kerry has talked about retiring soon, Xie is unwell and there
may be a Republican in the White House next year, he noted...
https://www.climatechangenews.com/2023/04/25/despite-taiwan-and-spy-baloon-tensions-china-invites-us-for-climate-talks/

/[  No, too set in ways....]/
*Climate Change Is Walloping US Farms. Can This Farm Bill Create Real
Solutions?*
Although it seems like everyone in D.C. is buzzing about a “climate farm
bill,” some of the most impactful changes, including crop
diversification and shifting diets from meat toward plants, are barely
on the negotiating table.

BY LISA HELD
APRIL 26, 2023
- -
In the end, there’s only so much money to go around, so tackling these
big food-system climate issues will be a matter of lawmaker priorities.
However, many of the people pushing more of those lawmakers to move
climate to the top of their lists, are optimistic.

“I’m encouraged by the common denominators,” says EWG’s Scott Faber.
“We’re no longer arguing about whether . . . our conservation programs
should reduce greenhouse gas emissions. We’re no longer arguing about
whether farmers are a source of greenhouse gas emissions. You hear some
[lawmakers] saying, ‘Well, we don’t want the conservation title to
become a climate title.’ To me, [the fact that we’re having] that
conversation is a sign we’re headed in the right direction.”
https://civileats.com/2023/04/26/climate-smart-farm-bill-heat-flooding-resilience-policy-conservation/

/[   Interview  ]/
*The Media's Role in the Crisis | Lucy McAllister*
Planet: Critical
Apr 26, 2023  #politicalcrisis #climatecrisis #socialcrisis
Which papers are telling the truth? And which are giving inches to
climate skeptics?

In this episode, Lucy McAllister, Assistant Professor in Environmental
Studies at Denison University, explains how journalism's obsession with
"balance" causes bias in climate reporting. She walks us through new
research which shows how climate coverage accuracy has improved since
the initial findings in 2004, but that there is still a significant
divide between left-leaning and right-wing papers, specifically those
owned by Rupert Murdoch.

She also reveals how the tactics of muddling the discourse has become
more sophisticated, with column inches now being given to climate
skeptics or discourses of delays. Combatting this is critical, Lucy
says, pointing to solutions journalism as critical in the fight to
"reframe" narratives to empower communities around the world.
00:00 Intro
04:49 Balance As Bias
06:37 How Papers Cover Climate Change
14:07 Discourses of Delay
17:03 Denialism is Anglophone problem
22:02 Difference between left-wing and right-wing papers
25:05 Why climate change coverage was accurate in the nineties
28:43 Tactical framing by the media
30:40 The role of cynicism
32:29 How media needs to change
37:04 What stories do we need?
42:30 How media fails to communicate the crisis
50:36 Who would you like to platform?
🔴 Lucy McAllister: https://denison.edu/people/lucy-mcall...
Referenced Papers/Articles:

Balance as Bias: global warming and the US prestige press:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science...
Balance as bias, resolute on the retreat? Updates & analyses of
newspaper coverage in the United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand,
Australia and Canada over the past 15 years:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...
Tactical Framing around the Green New Deal:
https://www.vox.com/videos/2019/3/12/...
Positive, global, and health or environment framing bolsters public
support for climate policies: https://www.nature.com/articles/s4324...
Discourses of Climate Delay: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journa...
Media Representations of Climate Change: A Meta-Analysis of the Research
Field: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...
The International Reporting of Climate Scepticism:
https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:65c...
The 2021 report of the Lancet Countdown on health and climate change:
code red for a healthy future: https://www.thelancet.com/article/S01...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMarTsZS3w

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*April 27, 2014*/
April 27, 2014:
The New York Times editorial page observes:
"At long last, the Koch brothers and their conservative allies in state
government have found a new tax they can support. Naturally it’s a tax
on something the country needs: solar energy panels.

"For the last few months, the Kochs and other big polluters have been
spending heavily to fight incentives for renewable energy, which have
been adopted by most states. They particularly dislike state laws that
allow homeowners with solar panels to sell power they don’t need back to
electric utilities. So they’ve been pushing legislatures to impose a
surtax on this increasingly popular practice, hoping to make installing
solar panels on houses less attractive."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/opinion/sunday/the-koch-attack-on-solar-energy.html?hp&rref=opinion

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli