[✔️] April 29, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Coffee first, PBS and NOVA chase carbon , It's only a movie, Uncharted territory , When Jack Kemp sold out

Sat Apr 29 09:11:45 EDT 2023

/*April*//*29, 2023*/

/[  first thing, brew some coffee ] /
*What Climate Change Could Mean for the Coffee You Drink*
As global warming threatens the two main varieties, coffee growers in
Uganda are betting on a type that can stand up to heat, drought and pests.
- -
While Arabica and robusta are the two widely cultivated species of
coffee, more than 100 species grow in the wild. One Liberica variety has
been farmed in Southeast Asia for a century.

Another variety is Liberica excelsa, the one that is native to the
lowlands of Uganda. Compared with robusta, which is also native to
Uganda and the dominant coffee species grown in the region, Liberica
takes longer to mature and produce fruit.

Libericas tower over robustas. Each tree can grow to a height of eight
meters, so farmers need to hoist themselves up on bamboo ladders to
harvest them. Or else they need to prune the trees so their branches
grow wide and not up.

Around 200 farmers have been growing Liberica in small pockets, selling
it to local traders together with their robusta harvest, and getting
robusta prices. Dr. Kiwuka said she felt as though the farmers “were
cheated.”...
- -
Exports are expected to be lower this year, compared with last year,
according to the Uganda Coffee Development Authority. Drought and pests
are to blame. Had he relied on robusta alone, Mr. Ocheng said, “I would
have been in extreme poverty.”

Thankfully, he had another two acres of Liberica.

How does Liberica excelsa taste when it’s dried, hulled and roasted? Dr.
Davis called it “smooth” and “easy drinking.” It is heavy in aroma,
lower in caffeine than robusta.

“It’s the Beaujolais nouveau,” he said. “It’s very soft.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/28/climate/coffee-liberica-uganda.html

/[ PBS and NOVA video 53 min ]/
*Chasing Carbon Zero | Full Documentary | NOVA | PBS**
*NOVA PBS Official
Premiered Apr 26, 2023  #novapbs #windfarm #geothermal
Here’s how the U.S. could reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.
Official Website: https://to.pbs.org/41x4kKm |  | #novapbs
The U.S. recently set an ambitious climate change goal: zero carbon
emissions by 2050. And to achieve that, slash emissions in half by 2030.
Is it possible? And what kind of technology would it take? Meet
scientists and engineers who are convinced we can achieve carbon zero in
time to avoid the biggest impacts of climate change.
For more videos related to climate science and the environment, check
out PBS's Earth Month playlist:
  • Climate, Nature a...
Chapters:

    00:00 Introduction
    02:47 Making the Ford F-150 into an Electric Vehicle
    05:49 How Far Are We From Reaching Net Zero Carbon Emissions?
    09:11 Heat Pumps Replacing Gas Furnaces in Buildings
    15:22 Induction Stoves Replacing Gas Stoves in Industrial Kitchens
    21:38 Sensing Sources of Excess Methane in the Air
    27:37 Off-Shore Floating Wind Farms
    31:50 Iron-Air Batteries as Energy Source
    37:20 Geothermal Electric Power Plants
    43:46 The Challenges of Driving an Electric Vehicle
    48:56 The Road to Net Zero
    © 2023 WGBH Educational Foundation

All rights reserved
This program was produced by GBH, which is solely responsible for its
content.
This program is made possible by viewers like you. Support your local
PBS station here: https://pbs.org/donate/
Enjoy full episodes of your favorite PBS shows anytime, anywhere with
the free PBS App: https://to.pbs.org/2QbtzhR
Stay up to date on the latest science discoveries, full episodes,
articles, videos, and more by signing up for NOVA's newsletter here:
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/newslet...
FOLLOW US:
NOVA
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NOVApbs  ​
Twitter: https://twitter.com/novapbs ​
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/novapbs/
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@novapbs

PBS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PBS/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PBS/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/PBS/
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@pbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN-P4ilk7Iw

/[ //Story time - a climate heist and revenge movie  ]/
*‘How to Blow Up a Pipeline’ stands firm in its sympathetic framing of
its protagonists, and then asks you to evaluate yourself.*
Taylar Dawn Stagner
April 28, 2023
How to Blow Up a Pipeline asks you to think about what a reasonable
response to climate change looks like. Released this month, the movie
follows a grindhouse, Ocean’s Eleven–type heist in which a group of
people fed up with fossil fuels plan to place homemade bombs at key
points along a pipeline in Texas.

The pace and editing at the beginning of the film builds a momentum that
propels the viewer into the stories of the main characters. Scenes are
punctuated with doors slamming and shoes dropping as a group of
activists prepares to travel out into the arid Texas desert.

The group slowly starts to take shape.

The ringleader is a young college dropout, Xochitl, who just lost her
mother in a heat wave. She has a friend from college, Shawn, a clean-cut
young student who is disillusioned with the slow pace of institutional
action against climate change. Xochitl’s best friend is Theo, who has
leukemia; she grew up near an oil refinery — the apparent cause of her
cancer — and describes dancing in acid rain when she was young. Theo’s
girlfriend, Alisha, works in a local soup kitchen, and is the voice of
skepticism in the group as Xochitl develops their plan.

Xochitl also draws in people from outside her social circle. Michael is
a young, Indigenous bomb expert from North Dakota, who picks fights and
is fed up with the lack of opportunity surrounding him. Dwayne is a
Texas local who joins up with the group after the federal government
takes the land that has belonged to his family for generations, the same
land that the pipeline in question is now occupying. With a kid on the
way and court fees piling up due to fighting the federal government on a
legal level, he scouts the area for the best places to kick the
government where it really hurts. Finally, there are Rowan and Logan, a
pair of young disruptors who are horny for each other and have a history
of getting into trouble. Xochitl collects friends, internet strangers,
and people from the fringe of society in her effort to broadcast a
message that’s hard to ignore. It’s a heist movie in which everyone
involved has banded together for a different reason, and throughout the
film layers peel back to reveal how deep (or not) each person’s
commitment is to the cause...
- -
The film stands firm in its sympathetic framing of the actions of the
group, but it is also a revenge movie. Xochitl lost her mom to cancer,
and is now losing her best friend, Theo; Micheal is dealing with
disillusionment in the face of colonialism; Dwayne wants his family’s
land back; and Rowan and Logan simply have an anarchic modus operandi.
The primal rage felt by these people comes from witnessing the havoc
wrought by the overuse of fossil fuels—seeing the health of loved ones
torn asunder by our collective reliance on the energy resources that are
slowly heating up our planet. They manifest the frustration and rage of
people who have no other options.

The mission of blowing up the pipeline is personal for the characters in
ways that might resonate for viewers as well. Personally, as I look
around at the effects of climate change, what I see influences my
outlook on life and even my desire to have children. What does the
future look like for my loved ones and potential children in the face of
such overwhelming circumstances? Having experienced these feelings
myself gave me a sense of connection to the characters.

What does the future look like for my loved ones and potential children
in the face of such overwhelming circumstances?
The film also makes us think about how climate change intersects with
class. People struggling to make ends meet can’t just move away from
their homes when they become uninhabitable. As the world gets hotter and
more dangerous, those with fewer resources are the ones who will be most
affected. But these upheavals will come for everyone eventually.

The film maintains snappy dialogue and quick pacing, but it also takes
the time to slow down and reveal the details of the characters’ lives.
In this way, we see the effects of climate change from  many different
perspectives, making it hard to ignore the experiences of those most
impacted...
- -
Anticipating what many viewers might be thinking, the film presents
arguments against eco-terrorism. Alisha, Theo’s partner, says that
damaging the pipeline will spike gas prices for low income people, but
Xochitl justifies the decision: We have to do something. Alisha also
argues that they could be spending their time and energy doing important
community work, such as working at a soup kitchen like she does. Why not
do more building up than tearing down? Xochitl encounters similar
arguments in the scenes set during her time in college. When she says
there is no time to sit around and wait for institutional change on
climate change, she is met with shrugs. These are big systems, others at
the college tell her, and most move at a snail’s pace. She is told that
change is slow.

The group Xochitl goes on to assemble is made up of radicals who are
looking at the clock, comparing the pace of change to the time we have
left to avert catastrophe, and realizing that the math isn’t adding up.
This is especially clear when seen through the lens of protagonists who
are people of color, since they represent the communities that will be
most harmed. To judge the actions of the group too harshly is to
disengage with the justifiable rage that blooms in us as we see our
planet slowly being squeezed of oil and sold back to us at a premium.

Taylar Dawn Stagner is a writer and audio journalist who’s an editorial
intern for the Indigenous Affairs desk at HCN. She’s Arapaho and
Shoshone and writes about racism, rurality, and gender. Email her at
taylar.stagner at hcn.org or submit a letter to the editor. See our letters
to the editor policy.
https://www.hcn.org/articles/ideas-review-a-climate-heist-and-revenge-movie

/[ different headlines for the same news April 26, 2023 ]/
*Record ocean temperatures put Earth in ‘uncharted territory’, say
scientists*
‘Unprecedented’ warming indicates climate crisis is taking place before
our eyes, experts say
- -
Warming oceans are a concern for many reasons. Seawater takes up more
space at higher temperatures, accelerating sea level rise, and warmer
water at the poles accelerates the melting of the ice caps. Hotter
temperatures can also be dire for marine ecosystems, as it can be
difficult or impossible for species to adapt. Corals in particular can
suffer devastating bleaching.

Some scientists fear that the rapid warming could be a sign of the
climate crisis progressing at a faster rate than predicted. The oceans
have acted as a kind of global buffer to the climate crisis over recent
decades, both by absorbing vast amounts of the carbon dioxide that we
have poured into the atmosphere, and by storing about 90% of the excess
energy and heat this has created, dampening some of the impacts of
global heating on land. Some scientists fear we could be reaching the
limit of the oceans’ capacity to absorb these excesses...
- -
Mark Maslin, professor of Earth system science at University College
London, said the climate crisis was taking hold before our eyes.
“Climate scientists were shocked by the extreme weather events in 2021,”
he said. “Many hoped this was just an extreme year. But they continued
into 2022 and now they are occurring in 2023. It seems we have moved to
a warmer climate system with frequent extreme climate events and
record-breaking temperatures that are the new normal. It is difficult to
see how anyone can deny climate change is happening and having
devastating effects around the world.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/26/accelerating-ocean-warming-earth-temperatures-climate-crisis

/[The news archive - looking back at when Jack Kemp sold out ]/
/*April 29, 1999*/
April 29, 1999: The ExxonMobil-funded Competitive Enterprise Institute
names former Rep. Jack Kemp (R-NY) its first "Distinguished Fellow." Two
years later, in a Washington Times op-ed, Kemp asserts that the
scientific evidence pointing to human-caused climate change is inconclusive.

http://cei.org/news-releases/jack-kemp-named-distinguished-fellow-competitive-enterprise-institute

http://cei.org/op-eds-and-articles/warming-diplomacyat-what-cost

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli