[✔️] August 2, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Disinfo to kids, Australian sarcasm, PBS housing bubble, Heat death tolls, Climate Adam, Potholer54, 2006 when Republicans saw reality

Wed Aug 2 05:34:04 EDT 2023

/*August  2*//*, 2023*/

/[ disinformation battlegrounds -  the hard lesson for kids is to be
kind and joyful and try to know our predicament ]/
*Mike Huckabee’s “Kids Guide to the Truth About Climate Change” Shows
the Changing Landscape of Climate Denial*
Producers of climate misinformation are targeting kids and families,
delivering an updated message that acknowledges global warming, but
minimizes the influence of human emissions.
By Keerti Gopal
July 31, 2023
- -
“It’s highly slanted with a clear ideological message, and it’s very
unreliable as a guide to climate change for kids.”...
- -
“There’s not enough truth mixed in with the lies for me to even think
that something like this should be published,” Grimmett said...
- -
“Of course we need to protect our home,” the guide remarks on page four
in an acknowledgement of environmental responsibility that advocates for
recycling and energy conservation. But when it moves on to describing
climate change, it asserts that “the climate has always changed — long
before humans walked the earth — and it continues to change.” Such
rhetoric, a hallmark of many media campaigns that minimize the severity
of climate change, ignores the scientific consensus that temperatures in
the past century rose almost 10 times faster than the average warming
after ice ages during the past million years, and that the increasing
heat correlates with global carbon emissions, which are higher than
they’ve ever been in human history. Warming during the next century is
projected to progress 20 times faster than it did in the last two
million years.
- -
The Kids Guide series is being marketed to parents as an alternative to
mainstream education, which Huckabee’s ads claim will send their
children into a false panic about climate change. Branch said the guide
ignores key scientific advances and uses factual information in a
misleading way—on one page, it notes that China’s greenhouse gas
emissions are 2.5 times higher than the U.S., ignoring the fact that per
capita emissions in the U.S. are actually close to twice those in China,
and that the U.S. remains the largest historic emitter of climate
warming gasses.
- -
“They’re not just trying to create climate skeptics,” Fisher said.
“They’re actually eroding trust in science and the scientific community.”..
- -
Huckabee’s guide acknowledges the warming effects of CO2, but argues
that its fluctuation is natural and that the U.S., “thanks to
capitalism, free thinkers and investors,” has “helped turn the climate
tide.”

The U.S., which houses a little over 4 percent of the world’s
population, has contributed 20 percent of global emissions since 1850.

As book banning and partisan calls to censor current and historic events
from public school curriculums grow, climate misinformation is only one
piece of a broader politicization of information in education. Grimmett,
who returned The Kids Guides to her coworker after looking through them
at home, said it makes her fearful for her son’s generation.

“So much of my heart and hope is hanging on the kids,” Grimmett said.
“These materials…will make that generation be just as split as we are now.”

Mike Huckabee’s office and Ever Bright Media did not respond to multiple
requests for comment.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/31072023/huckabees-kids-guide-to-climate/

/[ Australian sarcasm 4 min video ]/
*Honest Government Ad | COP31 Australia & the Pacific**
*thejuicemedia
Aug 1, 2023
The Australien Government made an ad about its bid to host the 2026 UN
Climate Summit (COP31) with the Pacific, and it’s surprisingly honest
and informative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBjyxA-wYS4

/[ PBS public service tell us how to improve housing  12 min video ]/
*Will Climate Change Pop the Housing Bubble?*
PBS Terra
Aug 1, 2023
Remember the 2008 Financial Crisis? Experts warn that the same thing may
be happening again, but this time, CLIMATE CHANGE is the culprit.
Increasing natural hazards, from wildfires and hurricanes to rising sea
levels and catastrophic flooding are threatening the very foundation of
our real estate system in huge swaths of the country. State Farm, All
State and Farmers Insurance all stopped writing new policies in the
entire state of California. And we're seeing similar stories unravel in
other states due to different threats, like in Florida and Louisiana.
Could the real estate bubble be popping? Where else might be affected?

Weathered is a show hosted by weather expert Maiya May and produced by
Balance Media that helps explain the most common natural disasters, what
causes them, how they’re changing, and what we can do to prepare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej94dKmo4Vw

/[ Some counts await investigation ]/
*‘Silent killer’: experts warn of record US deaths from extreme heat*
Fears of new high death toll this year as prolonged heatwave causes
spike in hospitalizations from people who work outside

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/01/heat-related-deaths-us-temperatures-heatwave

/[ video 14 mins ]/
*Climate scientists debunk denial myths ft. @ClimateAdam*
Dr Gilbz
Jul 26, 2023  #ClimateChange #CO2 #ClimateDenial
Today we’re playing a game. A fun game. It’s called Quickfire Climate
Denial and it involves debunking some of the deniers' favourite myths.
It was such fun hanging out with Climate Adam IRL. And I reckon it shows.
If you aren’t subscribed to Adam’s channel, make sure you change that
ASAP. You can do it by heading over here:
/ climateadam

    Contents
    00:00 OK, so what are we doing?
    00:30 “Climate change isn’t happening”
    00:59 “Climate change is natural”
    01:34 “CO2 is only 0.04% of the atmosphere”
    02:56 “CO2 is plant food”
    04:00 “Climate has always changed”
    06:11 “Climate change isn’t a problem”
    08:00 “It’s snowing in MY garden”
    09:07 “Climate models are wrong”
    10:31 “Greenland was green”
    11:46 “Antarctica is gaining ice”
    12:50 “Some crackpottery for luck”

#ClimateChange #ClimateDenial #CO2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojSYeI9OQcE

/[ Potholer54 is Peter Hadfield (journalist) explaining how we know
this science 13 min video ]/
*This 4-minute video got climate "denialists" very excited (and doesn't
say what they think it says!)*
potholer54
110,172 views  Jun 3, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9zAtqrDpzY

- -

/[ Commentary -- renewable success story 13 min video ]/
*A clean energy solution embraced by both sides of politics*
potholer54
Oct 30, 2021
Health in Harmony...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vInH3MqiaC8

/[The news archive - looking back at a passing moment before Republicans
unified against global warming. ]/
/*August  2, 2006 */
August 2, 2006: Republican televangelist Pat Robertson calls for action
on human-caused climate change, a position he would abandon several
years later.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2006/08/03/6719/robertson-global-warming/

http://youtu.be/zxT0Nug1XqY

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli