[✔️] August 4, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Heat Deadly author, Talk about climate every day, Heat means more cooling demand, Far right battle plan, Bye bye bulbs, 2002 Al Gore

Fri Aug 4 03:26:41 EDT 2023

/*August *//*4, 2023*/

/[  author //interview //-- audio 50 min ]/
*Heat Is The Deadliest Type Of Weather*
The Lever
  Aug 3, 2023  Lever Time with David Sirota
On this week’s episode of Lever Time, David Sirota is joined by Jeff
Goodell, author of the new book The Heat Will Kill You First: Life and
Death on a Scorched Planet, to discuss recent deadly heat waves and how
they’re a prelude to dangers to come.

This past July was the hottest single month in recorded history. In the
United States, temperatures rose above 120 degrees in several regions of
the country, and ocean temperatures in parts of Florida reached 101
degrees, potentially shattering the world record for ocean heat.

It’s not just the temperature that’s rising. Over the past few months,
there has also been an increase in heat-related deaths and
hospitalizations, including for life-threatening burns people have
suffered from falling onto scorching concrete.

Heat is the deadliest type of weather, each year killing on average more
than twice as many people as tornadoes and hurricanes combined. Of
course, the groups that most acutely suffer from extreme heat events
tend to be the most vulnerable, like unhoused people, the elderly, and
those with pre-existing medical conditions.

To examine these problems, Sirota sits down with Goodell, a climate
journalist and bestselling author. Together they break down which
regions of the country will experience the most severe heat in the
future, the limitations of air conditioning as a potential solution, our
new geologic era, and how our concept of summer is set to drastically
change from fun to survival...

Lever Time with David Sirota
August 3, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpFUajqXVtU

/[  talk about it every day -- how to open a conversation ]/
*How to talk about climate change with friends and family*
It's not always easy, but an open, respectful conversation about climate
change is one of the most powerful things you can do. Here's how to do
it right.
Study after study shows that when it comes to making up their minds
about an issue, people trust their family and friends more than almost
any other source.

So although it’s not always easy, having an open, respectful climate
conversation is one of the most powerful things you can do. Here’s how
to do it right.

*1. Pick your moment, and take your time*
Generally we have our best conversations when we’re feeling positive,
and have the time and energy to do the topic justice. So if you’re
feeling tired, angry, rushed or anxious, save it for another day.

The same applies for the other person, of course. Are they in a position
to be thoughtful and open-minded right now? In certain situations or in
front of certain groups, people might feel they have to quickly shout
you down or change the subject so they don’t lose face.

*2. Don’t try to ‘win’*
It sounds strange, but often the best way to be persuasive is to stop
trying to persuade people. Trying to turn the whole room into die-hard
climate activists before lunch sets you up to fail, and sets everyone
else up to have a terrible time.

Rather than playing the advocate working to ‘get people on board’, be
the moderator: the one who gives people a chance to explore the issue in
their own way, without feeling judged or pressured. And this isn’t just
about changing minds and inspiring action. In an age of rising climate
anxiety, creating this space can really help people’s well-being.

And remember you don’t have to pack everything into one conversation.
It’s better to have an interesting, friendly exchange that leaves the
door open for next time, than to rush to a solid conclusion.

*3. Share your story*
Remember you’re talking to people who (hopefully) love and trust you,
and care about your life. So don’t be afraid to make it personal. Your
feelings, hopes, questions and experiences are more powerful than all
the stats and talking points under the sun.

Try telling the story of how you came to care about this issue. Talk
about what makes you feel afraid, frustrated or hopeful. Share your
experience of taking action, and ask for help or advice.

*4. Listen, and show you’ve heard*
Even if someone’s being critical, let them speak without interrupting.
Then rather than trying to immediately argue back, take your time to
really absorb what they’re saying. Sometimes it’s even worth
paraphrasing the person’s idea back to them.

For example, if someone is complaining about a proposed bike lane
causing traffic jams, chances are they already find getting around town
slow and frustrating. So say that! By showing that you understand where
they’re coming from, you’ll make the other person much more receptive to
whatever you want to say (or ask!) next.

This can be tricky, particularly if you disagree. But genuine listening
gives people space to explore their own potentially complicated and
negative thoughts.

*5. Ask questions*
Asking open questions gives people the space to reflect and feel heard.
And remember, you don’t have to have all the answers. Asking things like
“How could we change that?” or “What do you think should happen
instead?” can open up the conversation and stop it from feeling one-sided.

*6. Be kind to yourself*
Every conversation is worthwhile, even if it might not seem it
initially. You might not change someone’s mind on the spot, but you’ll
have given them a chance to think about things in a new way.

This guide is adapted from ‘How to talk about climate change‘ by the
brilliant climate change campaign Possible, and the Greenpeace action
sheet ‘Inspiring action through conversation‘. Content from Possible is
used under a Creative Commons Attribution license.

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/how-to-talk-about-climate-change-family-friends-conversation/

/[ From Climate Central  ]/
*Hotter Climate, Higher Cooling Demand*
KEY CONCEPTS

    As our climate gets hotter, cooling demand is rising quickly around
    the world.

    Annual cooling degree days—a measure of cooling demand—have
    increased since 1970 in 232 (97%) of the 240 U.S. locations analyzed
    by Climate Central.

    The observed rise in cooling demand is likely to continue as the
    planet warms.

    Access to cooling is critical to ensure health and safety in our
    rapidly warming world.

    But the increased energy use needed to meet rising cooling demand
    can drive up emissions, strain power grids, and worsen urban heat
    islands.

Solutions include cutting emissions to slow the rate of warming,
transitioning to renewable energy supplies, and adopting high-efficiency
cooling appliances such as heat pumps.

As the planet heats up, the demand for cooling has increased in 232 U.S.
locations since 1970. Keeping homes and offices cool in a warming world
comes at a cost to people and the planet.
https://bit.ly/hotter-climate-higher-cooling-demand-2023 #climatematters
via @climatecentral
https://www.climatecentral.org/climate-matters/hotter-climate-higher-cooling-demand-2023

/[ Politics meets global warming head on ]/
*The Far Right Has a ‘Battle Plan’ to Undo Climate Progress Should Trump
Win in 2024*
written by Kristoffer Tigue -  Inside Climate News
August 1, 2023
Far-right conservative groups are promoting a sprawling “battle plan” to
obstruct and undo the federal government’s efforts to tackle the climate
crisis, with hopes of quickly enacting a series of sweeping changes if
Donald Trump, or any other Republican, gets elected as president next year.

The 920-page proposal, if implemented, would not only undo any progress
the Biden administration has made to reduce emissions and fund clean
energy development and other climate-related efforts, but it would make
it far more difficult for a future administration to pursue any policy
that seeks to address global warming at all, according to a report last
week by POLITICO. The plan would even make it challenging for federal
agencies to carry out common environmental protections that have been
practiced in the country for more than 50 years.

Called Project 2025 and written by more than 350 right-wing
hardliners—including former Trump staffers—the plan would block wind and
solar power from being added to the electrical grid; gut funding for the
Environmental Protection Agency; eliminate the Department of Energy’s
renewable energy offices; prohibit states from adopting California’s
tailpipe pollution standards, transfer many federal environmental
regulatory duties to Republican state officials; and generally prop up
the fossil fuel industry.

“Project 2025 is not a white paper. We are not tinkering at the edges.
We are writing a battle plan and we are marshaling our forces,” Paul
Dans, director of Project 2025 at the Heritage Foundation, which is
leading the initiative, told POLITICO. “Never before has the whole
conservative movement banded together to systematically prepare to take
power day one and deconstruct the administrative state.”

While Republican and Democratic presidents have commonly rolled back
policies from rival administrations upon taking office, including
reversing executive orders and introducing new federal agency rules,
Project 2025 stands out for its aim to implement a systematic
conservative takeover of the federal government. For example, the plan
compiles a list of as many as 20,000 like-minded conservatives who could
serve in the next administration to carry out the kind of deregulatory
overhaul that became a hallmark of the Trump administration.

“In 2016, the conservative movement was not prepared to flood the zone
with conservative personnel,” Heritage Foundation President Kevin
Roberts told the New York Times. “On Jan. 20, 2025, things will be very
different. This database will prepare an army of vetted, trained staff
to begin dismantling the administrative state from Day 1.”

Andrew Rosenberg, who served as a senior official at the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration during the Clinton administration
and now works for the University of New Hampshire’s Carsey School of
Public Policy, told POLITICO that Project 2025 marks a fundamental
shift, where instead of federal agencies obliging their duty to public
health and environmental protection, they instead work to help the
industries they’ve been tasked with overseeing.

The proposal would be especially damaging for the EPA, the nation’s top
environmental and health regulatory agency and one of the most important
tools a president has to address climate change. It would eliminate the
EPA’s environmental justice and public engagement functions, drastically
slash the agency’s budget and terminate new hires in what the plan’s
authors refer to as “low-value programs.” The plan would also revive the
so-called “secret science” rule, a controversial proposal by the Trump
administration that would have severely limited how the EPA can use
scientific studies in its policy making.

“What this does is it basically undermines not only society but the
economic capacity of the country at the same time as it’s doing gross
violence to the environment,” Rosenberg said.

In fact, Project 2025 is part of a larger plan by Trump and his
far-right allies to greatly expand the president’s authority over every
part of the federal government. Their goals include ending the
post-Watergate practice of shielding the Department of Justice from
White House political influence; putting independent agencies like the
Federal Trade Commission, which enforces antitrust laws and consumer
protection rules, under direct presidential control; and reviving the
practice of refusing to spend money Congress has appropriated for
programs a president doesn’t like—a tactic lawmakers banned under
President Richard Nixon.

The plans add to the mounting evidence that signals the Republican party
is continuing to shift dramatically to the right—a change that only
accelerated during Trump’s time in office. Even as a growing number of
GOP lawmakers embrace well established climate science and admit that
humans are, in fact, rapidly warming Earth’s atmosphere, Trump’s grip on
the party is forcing conservative leaders in Congress to take radical
positions on many culture-war topics, including climate change.

It’s a problem that some prominent Republicans say must be addressed
going into next year’s presidential election. But many worry that the
party has been taken hostage by Trump and similar lawmakers in Congress
who have adopted the former president’s bravado and propensity for fear
mongering and populist, inflammatory rhetoric.

“As Donald Trump is the near presumptive nominee of our party in 2024,
it’s going to be very hard for a party to adopt a climate-sensitive
policy,” Sen. Mitt Romney, a Republican from Utah, told CNN. “There are
a number of states, like mine, that are concerned about wildfires and
water.”

“I think the evidence so far is that the West is getting drier and
hotter,” the former Republican-endorsed presidential candidate added.
“That means that we’re going to have more difficulty with our crops,
we’re going to have a harder time keeping the rivers full of water. The
Great Salt Lake is probably going to continue to shrink. And
unfortunately, we’re going to see more catastrophic fires. If the trends
continue, we need to act.”
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/01082023/far-right-battle-plan-to-undo-climate-progress-trump-win-2024/

/[ Oh, by the way.  AP]/
*Prepare to flick off your incandescent bulbs for good under new US
rules that kicked in this week*
BY DAVID HAMILTON
August 2, 2023
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Get ready to say goodbye to the once ubiquitous
incandescent light bulb, pioneered by Thomas Edison more than a century
ago. You can thank — or blame — new federal energy efficiency
regulations that went into full effect Tuesday. Quite possibly without
you even noticing.

The Energy Department rules, which date back to the Obama
administration, have been whipsawed in the political process for years.
Some conservatives and Republican lawmakers long denounced them for
interfering with consumer choice and placing undue burdens on business.
Under former President Donald Trump, the Energy Department scrapped them
in 2019; the Biden administration subsequently revived them.

Yet by the time Aug. 1 rolled around, the critics had gone quiet,
possibly because companies and consumers have already started voting for
better lighting efficiency with their wallets...
- -
*SO DO I HAVE TO THROW AWAY MY OLD INCANDESCENTS?*
Fortunately not. The rules don’t affect bulbs that you already own; they
also exempt special purpose incandescents such as those used inside ovens.

But suppose you discard — or give away — your halogen and incandescent
bulbs. Odds are good that replacing them with LED bulbs could save you a
fair amount of money.

As the rules reinforce existing market changes, the Energy Department
believes that U.S. consumers can save almost $3 billion annually on
their utility bills. Similarly, it projects that the rules could cut
carbon emissions by 222 million metric tons over the next 30 years.
https://apnews.com/article/incandescent-light-bulb-led-federal-energy-efficiency-rules-950ca7bd90453a5bde277f3002e67d83

/[The news archive - looking back at when we forgot to act forcefully ]/
/*August 4, 2002 */
August 4, 2002: In a New York Times op-ed, Al Gore notes:

"I believe Bill Clinton and I were right to maintain, during our 1992
campaign, that we should fight for 'the forgotten middle class' against
the 'forces of greed.' Standing up for 'the people, not the powerful'
was the right choice in 2000. And, in fact, it is the Democratic Party's
meaning and mission. The suggestion from some in our party that we
should no longer speak that truth, especially at a time like this,
strikes me as bad politics and, worse, wrong in principle.

"This struggle between the people and the powerful was at the heart of
every major domestic issue of the 2000 campaign and is still the central
dynamic of politics in 2002. The choice, not just in rhetoric but in
reality, was and still is between a genuine prescription drug benefit
for all seniors under Medicare -- or a token plan designed to trick the
voters and satisfy pharmaceutical companies. The White House and its
allies in Congress have just defeated legislation that would have
fulfilled the promises both parties made in 2000.

"The choice was and still is between a real patients' bill of rights --
or doing the bidding of the insurance companies and health maintenance
organizations. Here again: promise made, promise broken. The choice was
and still is an environmental policy based on conservation, new
technologies, alternative fuels and the protection of natural wonders
like the Alaskan wilderness -- or walking away from the grave challenge
of global warming, doing away with Superfund cleanups and giving in on
issue after issue to those who profit from pollution."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/04/opinion/broken-promises-and-political-deception.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli