[✔️] August 7, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | CBS Heatwave, Satellite view of methane, Ocean heating, China floods, We're screwed, Pumped storage, Climate migration, 2003 Gore

Mon Aug 7 10:45:19 EDT 2023

/*August  7*//*, 2023*/

/[  A decent report on heatwaves  -- CBS /SUNDAY MORNING  YouTube/video  ] /
*Extreme heat, the most lethal climate disaster*
BY DAVID POGUE
AUGUST 6, 2023
The last eight years have been the hottest years ever measured on the
planet, according to the World Meteorological Organization; July was the
hottest month ever recorded; July 6 was the hottest day. All over the
planet, the heat broke temperature records, including in Siberia, where
the thermometer hit 103 degrees!

More than half the U.S. population was subject to heat warnings in July.
In Phoenix, Arizona, the heat has broken all kinds of records, including
the longest streak of consecutive days (31, from June 30 to July 30)
where the temperature hit 110 degrees or hotter.

The hottest July: Inside Phoenix's brutal 31 days of 110-degree heat
And it's not just the hot air that's dangerous; it's the surfaces. Using
a non-contact infrared thermometer, Pogue measured the temperature of
the steering wheel of a car: 162.5° Fahrenheit. A sidewalk was 144°F –
hot enough to burn your dog's paws in 60 seconds. And a playground slide
for children was 182.8°F.

"I actually have mittens in my car so that when the steering wheel gets
really hot, I put my mittens on, and that's how I drive," said Melissa
Guardaro, an extreme-heat researcher at Arizona State University.

Pogue said, "You know you're living in a hot place when you have to keep
oven mitts in your glove compartment!"

Even for people who have conditioning, not everyone can afford to use
it; the average monthly bill for A/C in Phoenix is more than $450 a
month. Guardaro said, "We have a group of people who have to make very
difficult choices. Do I pay for air conditioning, or do I pay for my
rent? This kind of heat wave is bringing up all the chinks in the
infrastructure."

Last month, President Biden announced some small steps toward adapting
to dangerous heat, like expanding access to drinking water, improving
weather forecasts, and setting up a heat alert system. But Guardaro
maintains that there's much more to be done. City planners should
develop heat infrastructure (like cooling centers and strategic
greenery), and the federal government should start taking heat as
seriously as it treats other climate disasters. For example, FEMA has
never declared extreme heat as a disaster.

Pogue asked, "So, flooding and hurricanes, all those things would be
designated federal disaster areas, but not heat?"

"Not heat," Guardaro replied. "Standing up more cooling centers,
providing greater services for people – that is not reimbursed by the
government, because there has never been a FEMA extreme-heat-declared
disaster.

"Extreme heat is the climate disaster that kills the most people," she
said. "In fact, it kills more people than all of the other disasters
combined. And we kind of have a joke here that we show a picture of
before a heat wave, and then we show a picture after a heat wave, and
it's the same picture. And that's part of the problem, because people
see tornadoes and houses are upended and hurricanes and trees and
utility poles. [Heat] is this invisible killer."

Of course, heatwaves aren't the only result of the warming planet. Heat
also dries out vegetation, and we get fires. Heat evaporates the land,
so we get droughts. Heat evaporates the oceans, so we get hurricanes.

The Nature Conservancy's Becca Benner cautions us not to think of this
summer's heat as something freakish and rare; it's the new normal. "It
is no longer a future threat; we are living this now," she said. "So,
whether your basement just flooded, whether you just had to evacuate for
a fire, whether it's too hot for you to go outside and enjoy yourself,
that means we are now experiencing some of the impacts of climate
change. We have to reduce emissions. And we have to do it immediately,
and faster."...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/extreme-heat-the-most-lethal-climate-disaster/

/[ techno innovation helps somewhat ]/
*Satellite supergroup spots methane super-emitters with “staggering”
accuracy*
SUSTAINABILITY - The combination of satellites allows the identification
of major sources of greenhouse gas and is a crucial development for
climate change mitigation efforts.
NEWS
Thanks to a new combination of connected satellites, the world’s methane
super-emitters can be spotted with “staggering” accuracy and almost
real-time. This is a crucial new step in the global fight against
climate change. Methane is responsible for a quarter of human-induced
global warming and provides a short-term lever on climate change because
it remains in the atmosphere for a much shorter time than CO2.

Using a combination of satellites, researchers can now detect methane
super-emitters globally with great accuracy and almost in real time.
This allows the identification of major sources of this potent
greenhouse gas and is a crucial development for climate change
mitigation efforts.
The tiered approach moves from low-resolution global scans by
Sentinel-5P to pinpointed spotting of emitters by Sentinel-3 and
Sentinel-2 with increasing spatial resolution...

https://innovationorigins.com/en/satellite-supergroup-spots-methane-super-emitters-with-staggering-accuracy/

/
//[  German news -- predicament explained in a video 10 min  ]/
*Ocean warming: The dramatic impact on the environment | DW News*
DW News
Aug 4, 2023  #ocean #climatechange #globalwarming
The world's oceans are warmer than ever. The past month's been the
hottest on record with the average temperature reaching 21 degrees Celsius.

Data from research institutes in the United States and Europe show
record temperatures of 38 degrees off the coast of Florida. Waters in
the North Atlantic near the North Pole are also much warmer than normal
at this time of year. Scientists are unsure about the causes - but warn
the effects will be felt across the world.

Martin Visbeck is an oceanographer at the GEOMAR Ocean Research Center
in the German city of Kiel. We asked him to explain what is happening
there and why we’re getting these record temperatures now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12hp4qIuGlQ

- -

/[  Oceans heating --  new changes explained ]/
*Oceans have been absorbing the world's extra heat | WION Pulse*
WION
Aug 4, 2023  #globalwarming #ocean #WION
Day after day, country after country, the world is experiencing
record-breaking rainfall while temperatures are rising. Extreme weather
has now become the new normal. To know more watch this interview with
the Senior Strategist for the Center for Climate & Security Sherri Goodman.
#globalwarming #ocean #WION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc9vq3vQReo

/[ News, China has problems with flood control - ]/
- -*
**Bridge destroyed, China are under water! River overflow causes damage
in Beijing*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAy31V6P0zQ
- -
*The World is in shock!! Beijing is flooded! Record rainfall in 140 years!*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6IqPXmumXc
- -
*Flood Destroys City after City in China! People fleeing floods on
rooftops in Hebei province*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na0L0N4kEl0

/[ this classic video was recommended by some old folks -- 1:43 video
discussion needs updating   ]/
*Topic: CLIMATE CHANGE:
*

    *We’re screwed, *
    *It’s our fault, *
    *It’s going to get worse, *
    *There’s nothing we can do about it!*

Jun 30, 2021
Guest speaker:  Dr. Adam Fenech

Dr. Fenech has worked extensively in the area of climate change since
the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change First Assessment Report in
1988.

He has edited 8 books on climate change, most recently on Global Climate
Change, Biodiversity and Sustainability in the Middle East.

Dr. Fenech has worked for Harvard University researching the history of
the science/policy interfaces of climate change. He has represented
Canada at international climate negotiating sessions; written climate
policy speeches for Canadian Environment Ministers; and authored
Canadian reports on climate change to the United Nations.

Dr. Fenech has taught at the University of Toronto as well as the
Smithsonian Institution for over 20 years, and lectures regularly at
universities across Canada and around the world.

Dr. Fenech shared in the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his work with the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

He is presently the Director of the University of Prince Edward Island’s
Climate Research Lab that conducts research on the vulnerability,
impacts and adaptation to climate change, where his virtual reality
depiction of sea level rise has won international awards including one
from MIT for communicating coastal science.

He maintains the largest fleet of drones at a Canadian university
including the largest drone in the country with a four metre wingspan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDjjX4v6Ds

/[ clean energy from gravity ]/
*The insane potential of Pumped Storage Hydropower.*
Just Have a Think
Jul 30, 2023
Pumped Storage Hydro had, until recently, been all but written off as a
fully exploited dead-end for energy storage expansion. According to new
research though, it turns nothing could be further from the truth! It
could literally be the lynch pin to get us to 100% renewable global
electricity grids without having to pillage the earth (and deep seabed)
of critical minerals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-cOgrBIAuc

/[ Understanding Climate Migration YouTube 1:18 video  ]/
*Climate Migration and the Nomad Century with Gaia Vince, journalist and
author of Nomad Century*
World Michigan
Mar 20, 2023
We welcome Gaia Vince, U.K. journalist (BBC and The Economist) and
author of Nomad Century
https://wanderinggaia.com/about-me/

As climate change accelerates, people in affected regions must uproot
themselves and seek safety elsewhere. Vast numbers of people may be
driven from their homes in the coming decades—the coming climate
migration will require global cooperation. Yet, migration offers
opportunities for the people migrating and the host countries that
receive them.

This presentation is part of the Great Decisions Global Discussions
series. Great Decisions is America's largest discussion program on world
affairs. The program provides background information and policy options
for the eight most critical issues facing America each year and serves
as the starting place for dialogue and discussion within the community.
These topics are selected by the Foreign Policy Association (FPA) each
year and the World Affairs Council of Western Michigan develops a
discussion series that complements the FPA.

It is our longest-running and largest community program on global
issues. For more information about the World Affairs Council of Western
Michigan visit: https://www.worldmichigan.org/about

For more information on the Foreign Policy Association visit:
https://www.fpa.org/about/

Special thanks to Series sponsor, Wolverine Worldwide
https://www.wolverineworldwide.com/ab...

Special thanks to Media sponsors, WGVU and Grand Rapids Community Media
Center https://www.wgvu.org/ https://grcmc.org/about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBdcwvvSt0k&

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*August 7, 2003*/
August 7, 2003: In a speech at New York University, Al Gore condemns the
Bush administration's dishonesty on climate policy and foreign policy.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?177732-1/former-vice-president-speech

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli