[✔️] August 18, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Wildfires Canada, Fire information. Children's Court cases, Kurt Anderson 'Command Z. birthing, Battle against the Deserts, 2018 Trumps harms

Fri Aug 18 05:54:04 EDT 2023

/*August 18*//*, 2023*/

/[ Reuters report ]/
*Canada wildfire: all 20,000 Yellowknife residents evacuating*
By David Ljunggren
August 17, 2023
Aug 17 (Reuters) - Canadian fire crews on Thursday battled to prevent
wildfires from reaching the northern city of Yellowknife, where all
20,000 residents are leaving by car and plane after an evacuation order
was declared.

Water bombers flew low over Yellowknife as thick smoke blanketed the
capital of the vast and sparsely populated Northwest Territories.
Officials say the fire, which is moving slowly, is now 15 km (10 miles)
northwest of the city and could reach the outskirts by Saturday if there
is no rain.
"Very tough days ahead – with two days of northwest to west-northwest
winds on Friday and Saturday, which would push fire towards
Yellowknife," the territorial fire service said in a statement on Facebook.

In the Pacific province of British Columbia, which has suffered
unusually intense blazes this year, officials warned residents to
prepare for extreme fire conditions.

"This weather event has the potential to be the most challenging 24 to
48 hours of the summer from a fire perspective," wildfire service
director Cliff Chapman told reporters. "We are expecting significant
growth and we are expecting our resources to be challenged from north to
south."...
- -
Since 2009, Canada has been spending more on fighting and suppressing
wildfires than on maintaining its firefighting personnel and program.
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-wildfires-crews-battle-stop-blaze-yellowknife-evacuates-2023-08-17/

- -

/[ CNN news  ] /
*The entire capital city of Canada’s Northwest Territories has been
ordered to evacuate as hundreds of wildfires scorch the region,
officials say*
By Mitchell McCluskey, Aya Elamroussi and Alaa Elassar, CNN
August 17, 2023
Hundreds of wildfires burning in Canada’s Northwest Territories have
prompted emergency declarations and the evacuation of the capital city
of Yellowknife by road and air.

About 20,000 residents in Yellowknife are being urged to get out of the
way of fast-moving flames as more than 230 fires char the territory and
smoke creeps south, impacting air quality in the United States.
Yellowknife accounts for about half of the total population of the
remote territory, which sits north of Alberta and east of Yukon.

One of the wildfires burning west of Yellowknife is approximately
165,000 hectares, more than 600 square miles, and inching closer to the
community and main highway, according to Mike Gibbins, who manages
communications for Municipal Affairs Minister Shane Thompson’s office.

“We’re all tired of the word unprecedented, yet there is no other way to
describe this situation in the Northwest Territories,” Premier Caroline
Cochrane said in a statement Wednesday night.

“Residents living along the Ingraham Trail, in Dettah, Kam Lake, Grace
Lake and Engle Business District are currently at highest risk and
should evacuate as soon as possible. Other residents have until noon on
Friday, August 18, 2023 to evacuate,” Northwest Territories officials
said in a news release Wednesday.

“If you are able to evacuate by road, obey all warning signs, emergency
management officials, traffic control devices and posted speed limits,”
Cochrane added. “Do not make any rash decisions that can put other
people in danger.”

Those driving out of the Yellowknife area face a potentially perilous
journey through heavy smoke and fire. “There were patches of flames on
each side as we drove through,” Nadia Byrne told CNN, calling her
evacuation the most terrifying experience she’s had...

*British Columbia prepares for potentially catastrophic days ahead*
There are over 360 active fires burning in neighboring British Columbia,
where officials expect fire conditions to worsen as heat and lightning
are forecast to combine over the next few days.

“This weather event has the potential to be the most challenging 24 to
48 hours of the summer from a fire perspective,” Cliff Chapman, of the
British Columbia Fire Wildfire Service, said in a Thursday news
conference. “We are expecting significant growth, and we are expecting
our resources to be challenged.”

Chapman warned that high pressure has led to record-breaking heat and
that lightning is being forecast, which he said has been the “primary
ignition source for new fires.”...
- -
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/16/americas/canada-northwest-territories-wildfires-thursday/index.html

- -

/[  for information  ]/
*Canadian Wildland Fire Information System*
The Canadian Wildland Fire Information System monitors fire danger
conditions and fire occurrence across Canada. Daily weather conditions
are collected from across Canada and used to produce fire weather and
fire behavior maps. In addition, satellites are used to detect fires,
and reported fire locations are collected from fire management agencies.
This site is divided into the following main sections:

    The Background Information section contains links that provide
    details about the CWFIS and outline the processes used to derive the
    data.
    The Maps and Reports section presents the current and past days fire
    danger and fire occurrence in Canada.
    The National Wildland Fire Situation Report provides a summary of
    fire activity across Canada.
    The Historical Analysis section provides a fire danger climatology
    and fire history for Canada.
    The CWFIS Datamart provides access to various data products and
    services.

https://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/home

/[ Montana court victory now moves to Montana Supreme Court, and Our
Children's Trust-- Juliana v United States is the next case --  Biden
wants to restrict this - Audio ]/
*On this week’s episode of Lever Time, Julia Rock and Frank Cappello
speak with environmental lawyer Julia Olson to discuss a recent historic
win for young climate activists she represents in Montana.*
https://www.levernews.com/lever-time-montanas-monumental-climate-win/

A transcript of this episode is available here.
https://share.transistor.fm/s/802d6a4e/transcript

This past Monday, a judge in Montana ruled that young people are
entitled to a “clean and healthful” environment. The case, known as Held
v. Montana, included 16 plaintiffs ages 5 to 22 who testified that the
state government’s pro-fossil fuel policies were unconstitutional. Held
v. Montana was the first of several youth-led U.S. climate lawsuits to
make it to trial.

Olson is the executive director and lead counsel for Our Children’s
Trust, a nonprofit public interest law firm that represents plaintiffs
in a number of youth-led state climate cases as well as in a federal
lawsuit, Juliana v. United States. Julia and Frank spoke with Olson
about this historic win, how the case’s legal strategy can be applied
across the country, and why the Biden administration is attempting to
prevent other youth-led climate lawsuits from going to trial.
https://www.levernews.com/lever-time-montanas-monumental-climate-win/
https://share.transistor.fm/s/802d6a4e/transcript

/[ discussion with Kurt Andersen "It's a simple word, it's corruption" ]/
*Kurt Andersen on 'Command Z' and Why We Can Still Fix Things*
The Climate Pod
Aug 17, 2023  #climatechange #evilgeniuses #kurtandersen
#climatechange #evilgeniuses #kurtandersen #soderbergh #commandz

When Ty talked to Kurt Andersen back in 2020 upon the release of his
exceptional book Evil Geniuses, we never thought it would lead to a
sci-fi comedic series. Nevertheless, Andersen and Steven Soderbergh have
co-created and recently released a new series, Command Z, which is a
hilarious adaptation that addresses not only the major themes of Evil
Geniuses but also explores how we might all think about all types of
political action in 2023.

Kurt's back on the show this week to discuss why making Command Z was a
dream come true and what he wanted to explore with the series that he
couldn't with a nonfiction book. We also get his thoughts on how the
Inflation Reduction Act might be impacting our view on the role of
government and undoing some of the damage of the Evil Geniuses he
covered and what he thinks of the Federalist Society-approved,
conservative Supreme Court justices that continue to be awful.

Be sure to subscribe to The Climate Pod YouTube channel!

The Climate Pod is a weekly conversation on the latest climate issues
with the journalists, activists, academics, and artists at the center of
the story.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/climatepod
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/climatepod/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/climatepod/
Subscribe to our new Substack newsletter "The Climate Weekly":
https://theclimateweekly.substack.com/

Website: www.theclimatepod.com

The Climate Pod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6pTpOpfdo

/[ pondering the big issues ]/
*Is climate change really a reason not to have children? Here’s four
reasons why it’s not that simple*
Published: August 16, 2023
- -
Climate ethicists broadly agree that the climate crisis is unprecedented
and requires us to rethink what can be ethically demanded of
individuals. But proposing ethical limits on family size has struck many
as unpalatable due to a number of concerns...
- -
Philosophical arguments that we should have fewer children challenge our
understanding of what morality can demand in an age of climate change.
They also call into question whether the most meaningful choices we can
make as individuals are simple consumption choices (for example, between
meat and plant-based alternatives). But the philosophical debate about
whether there is a duty to have fewer children is complex – and remains
open.
https://theconversation.com/is-climate-change-really-a-reason-not-to-have-children-heres-four-reasons-why-its-not-that-simple-209013

/[ a superb documentary - ]/
*Battle against the Deserts | | Extra Long Documentary*
hazards and catastrophes

Jul 4, 2020  #china #europe #deserts
Deserts now cover more than a third of the Earth's surface, affecting
over 2.6 billion people in 110 countries. This program delves into the
global issue of desertification, with a focus on Asia and Europe.
Discover how desertification is altering the delicate balance of our
planet and the consequences it has on agriculture, ecosystems, and human
populations.

Part 1:
Did you know that China, despite being known for its vast landscapes, is
actually home to one of the world's largest deserts? With a staggering
third of its land area covered in useless sand, China faces significant
challenges in ensuring food security for its population. Join us in this
eye-opening documentary as we explore the impact of desertification on
China's arable lands and the measures being taken to combat it.

Part 2:
Discover the hidden deserts of Europe in this captivating documentary.
Contrary to outdated beliefs found in school textbooks, countries like
Portugal, Spain, Italy, and Greece have experienced severe
desertification, prompting their participation in the United Nations
Convention to Combat Desertification (CCD). Join us as we delve into the
environmental challenges faced by these EU nations and their battle
against the encroaching desert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcrq6ukeiZA

/[The news archive - looking back at the Trump destruction ]/
/*August 18, 2018*/
August 18, 2018:
The New York Times reports:

    “The Trump administration next week plans to formally propose a vast
    overhaul of climate change regulations that would allow individual
    states to decide how, or even whether, to curb carbon dioxide
    emissions from coal plants, according to a summary of the plan and
    details provided by three people who have seen the full proposal.

    “The plan would also relax pollution rules for power plants that
    need upgrades. That, combined with allowing states to set their own
    rules, creates a serious risk that emissions, which had been
    falling, could start to rise again, according to environmentalists.

    “The proposal, which President Trump is expected to highlight
    Tuesday at a rally in West Virginia, amounts to the administration’s
    strongest and broadest effort yet to address what the president has
    long described as a regulatory ‘war on coal.’ It would considerably
    weaken what is known as the Clean Power Plan, former President
    Barack Obama’s signature regulation for cutting planet-warming
    emissions at coal-fired plants.

    “That rule, crafted as the United States prepared to enter into the
    2015 Paris Agreement on global warming, was the first federal
    carbon-pollution restriction for power plants. In 2016, the Supreme
    Court temporarily blocked the regulation from taking effect while a
    federal court heard arguments from a coalition of coal states that
    sued to block the rule. It remains suspended.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/climate/trump-clean-power-rollback.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli