[✔️] Dec 13, 2023- Global Warming News Digest |COP out and done, Rees on human exceptionalism, Rogue wave record, 85 ft, Wyoming gov pushed, Svaldbard glacier, 2007 moral imperative

Wed Dec 13 08:17:46 EST 2023

/*December 13*//*, 2023*/

/[ Not surprising, not impactful ]/
*COP28 climate summit ends with deal to transition away from fossil fuels*
PUBLISHED WED, DEC 13 2023
KEY POINTS

    Government ministers representing nearly 200 countries on Wednesday
    agreed to a deal that calls for a transition away from fossil fuels,
    after a previous proposal was met with heated and widespread backlash.

    “With an unprecedented reference to transitioning away from all
    fossil fuels, The UAE Consensus is delivering a paradigm shift that
    has the potential to redefine our economies,” the summit’s UAE
    presidency said on social media.

    The latest proposal published by the UAE earlier on Wednesday called
    for “transitioning away from fossil fuels in energy systems, in a
    just, orderly and equitable manner, accelerating action in this
    critical decade, so as to achieve net zero by 2050 in keeping with
    the science.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/13/countries-agree-to-deal-at-cop28-climate-summit.html

/[ Human exceptionalism causes overshoot, and carrying capacity change
- audio ]/
*William Rees | Confronting Overshoot: Changing the Story of Human
Exceptionalism*
The Overpopulation Podcast
Dec 5, 2023
We chat with population ecologist, co-creator of the ecological
footprint analysis, and one of the world’s best big-picture ecological
thinkers, Dr. Bill Rees. Bill explains how our blind faith in human
exceptionalism, technological optimism, and neoliberal economics fooled
us into disregarding ecological limits and brought us into a state of
extreme overshoot. These same false stories enabled humans to use cheap
abundant energy to convert nature and nonhumans into human artifacts,
and rich nations to exploit the resources of other countries, while
degrading the biophysical basis of existence.

Continuing on this trajectory but with green-tinted glasses will be
catastrophic. Nothing short of a co-operative, well-planned, orderly
contraction of the human enterprise – economic activity, production,
consumption, and population – is needed to align with Earth’s productive
and assimilative capacity. But, as Bill concludes – that which is
“ecologically necessary is politically infeasible, while the politically
feasible is ecologically catastrophic”. Can communities like ours,
rooted in ecological wisdom and natural limits, act as lifeboats
paddling strongly away from the eddies of the sinking Titanic to prepare
for a post-industrial world?

See episode website for show notes, links, and transcript:
https://www.populationbalance.org/pod...

The Overpopulation Podcast features enlightening conversations between
Population Balance executive director Nandita Bajaj, researcher Alan
Ware, and expert guests. We cover a broad variety of topics that explore
the impacts of our expanding human footprint on human rights, animal
protection, and environmental restoration, as well as individual and
collective solutions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MVmkIYy9aI

/[ Surf's up! ]/
*Gigantic Wave in Pacific Ocean Was Most Extreme 'Rogue Wave' on Record*
NATURE
ByCARLY CASSELLA
- -
For centuries, rogue waves were considered nothing but nautical
folklore. It wasn't until 1995 that myth became fact. On the first day
of the new year, a nearly 26-meter-high wave (85 feet) suddenly struck
an oil-drilling platform roughly 160 kilometers (100 miles) off the
coast of Norway.

At the time, the so-called Draupner wave defied all previous models
scientists had put together.

Since then, dozens more rogue waves have been recorded (some even in
lakes), and while the one that surfaced near Ucluelet, Vancouver Island
was not the tallest, its relative size compared to the waves around it
was unprecedented.

Scientists define a rogue wave as any wave more than twice the height of
the waves surrounding it. The Draupner wave, for instance, was 25.6
meters tall, while its neighbors were only 12 meters tall.

In comparison, the Ucluelet wave was nearly three times the size of its
peers.
"Proportionally, the Ucluelet wave is likely the most extreme rogue wave
ever recorded," explained physicist Johannes Gemmrich from the
University of Victoria in 2022...

https://www.sciencealert.com/gigantic-wave-in-pacific-ocean-was-most-extreme-rogue-wave-on-record

- -

/[ Surf's up prediction above 85 feet - maybe 15% is related to global
warming ]/
*Projected 21st century changes in extreme wind-wave events*
ALBERTO MEUCCI
SCIENCE ADVANCES
Vol 6, Issue 24
DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aaz7295

    Abstract
    We describe an innovative approach to estimate global changes in
    extreme wave conditions by 2100, as a result of projected climate
    change. We generate a synthetic dataset from an ensemble of wave
    models forced by independent climate simulation winds, enhancing
    statistical confidence associated with projected changes in extreme
    wave conditions. Under two IPCC representative greenhouse gas
    emission scenarios (RCP4.5 and RCP8.5), we find that the magnitude
    of a 1 in 100-year significant wave height (Hs) event increases by 5
    to 15% over the Southern Ocean by the end of the 21st century,
    compared to the 1979–2005 period. The North Atlantic shows a
    decrease at low to mid latitudes (≈5 to 15%) and an increase at high
    latitudes (≈10%). The extreme significant wave height in the North
    Pacific increases at high latitudes by 5 to 10%. The ensemble
    approach used here allows statistical confidence in projected
    changes of extremes

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aaz7295

/[ Wyoming governor gets "Heat from the right"]/
*Republican Gov. Mark Gordon is telling the people of Wyoming that
climate change is real and it’s an urgent cris*is. He says he’s facing
pushback.
https://cbsn.ws/3NikTVJ
- -
[ CBS 60 MINUTES - NEWSMAKERS  ]
*Wyoming Gov. Mark Gordon pursues green, carbon-negative agenda in one
of the nation's reddest states*
60-minutes
BY BILL WHITAKER
DECEMBER 10, 2023 / 7:47 PM EST / CBS NEWS...
- -
Bill Whitaker: You first made this pledge of-- net negative CO2
emissions at a 2021 State of the State speech. How did that go over?

Gov. Mark Gordon: I think some people probably resented it. I think
generally it's been well-respected. It was, to-- to some degree, a bold
move, and-- and one that was intended to make a difference in that
discussion about energy in the future.

Wyoming innovates to combat climate change as part of Gov. Mark Gordon's
"all-of-the-above" energy policy
After Gordon repeated his net-negative emissions goal at an appearance
at Harvard in October, Wyoming's Republican party passed a vote of "no
confidence" in him. But he says heat from the right won't deter him from
pursuing what he calls an "all of the above" energy policy.

Gov. Mark Gordon: Whatever you're going to do in energy, probably you're
going have something to do in Wyoming. We have tremendous wind
resources. We have the largest reserves of uranium, important for
nuclear energy, the largest coal producer, we're number eight in oil,
number nine in natural gas. 83% of our energy is exported...
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wyoming-mark-gordon-energy-agenda-60-minutes-transcript/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7d&linkId=254254612

/[ do not walk on a warming glacier ]/
*The mysterious 'speeding up' glaciers of Svalbard*
by University of Aberdeen
DECEMBER 8, 2023
Spectacular Svalbard sits halfway between mainland Norway and the North
Pole and is one of the fastest warming places in the Arctic.
It is also home to glaciers which are, to use the words of Dr. Will
Harcourt, a glaciologist from the University of Aberdeen, "speeding up."

Dr. Harcourt and his colleagues spent two weeks on the archipelago in
the summer of 2023 studying these unusual glaciers from land, air and sea.

Dr. Harcourt explains, "One of the most significant things that are
changing in Svalbard are the glaciers. We want to try to understand how
fast they are melting, how fast they're pushing ice into the oceans and
by doing so, raising the sea levels. We also want to understand this
impact on the environment around them—marine ecosystems, people etc.

"The Borebreen glacier in Svalbard is doing something very
interesting—it's surging. Surging glaciers flow relatively slowly for
long periods of time and then suddenly, out of nowhere, they speed up
and we don't really understand why it's doing it. That was really the
core question as to why we were going there—why is it suddenly advancing
and speeding up?

"The problem is, we expect this glacier to stop speeding up and slow
down again. When that happens, all this ice has been pushed towards the
ocean, and because it's below the snow line, it's going to melt again
and retreat even further back than it was already. So we think these
glaciers are actually going to increase the amount of ice that is lost
from the archipelago of Svalbard."
Dr. Harcourt, and his fellow researchers use drones to capture images of
the ice that can be converted into 3D interactive models.

"We're really interested to see how the 3D geometry of the glaciers are
changing, particularly where the ice falls in—terminates—into the ocean,
because that is the place where we get icebergs 'calving' off the end of
a glacier and dumping ice into the ocean.
"That is the process that we really want to try and understand to see
how that is being impacted by climate change. We also look at past
changes by looking at the geomorphology in front of the ice. So this
tells us about past ice dynamics and how previous environments impacted
ice dynamics."

As well as studying the visible ice forms with drones and laser
scanners, Dr. Harcourt also looks at what is beneath the ice.

"We have seismometers that tell us something about activity at the bed
that also drive glacier flow. So at this particular glacier that we were
looking at, We know that there is meltwater at the bed, so we can use
seismometers to tell us how much meltwater there is and how that is
driving ice flow at this glacier."

While some aspects of glacier research can be conducted using satellite
imagery, on-location field work is critical to understanding the
evolving situation in the arctic.

"We may not have glaciers in some locations in the world in 100 years
time, so it's really important we understand them now when they're here,
how they're changing, and also try to understand if we can mitigate any
of the impacts of climate change on these regions."

Provided by University of Aberdeen
https://phys.org/news/2023-12-mysterious-glaciers-svalbard.html

/[The news archive - Climate is a moral imperative  ]/
/*December 13, 2007 */
December 13, 2007: At a Democratic presidential debate in Iowa, Illinois
Senator Barack Obama declares that the need to address human-caused
climate change "is a moral imperative. I've got a 9-year-old daughter
and a 6-year-old daughter. And I want to make sure that the planet is as
beautiful for them as it was for me.

"Now, what that means is, there are going to be some increases
initially, in electricity prices, for example, if we have a
cap-and-trade system.

"Over time, technology will adapt because investors and people who are
looking to make money will see that they can make money through green
technologies...but, in order for this to happen, we've got to be
courageous enough to not just talk about it in front of the Sierra Club,
or organizations that are already sympathetic to us...part of what the
next president has to do is not just tell the American people what they
want to hear; has to tell them what they need to hear."

http://youtu.be/bMVlhPIH_04

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli