[✔️] Dec 18, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | pseudo-children's story, Sabine's climate, Aussi crocks in floods, Iraq dry, 2014 Putin's fuels.

Mon Dec 18 10:28:22 EST 2023

/*December 18*//*, 2023*/

/[ Just Have a Think - video - misuse of children's stories and some
positive comment from COP28 ] /
*The INSANE numbers of a global climate conference!*
Just Have a Think
Dec 17, 2023
What a super Christmas gift! Our global leaders all gathered in one of
the biggest oil producing nations on the planet to discuss with more
than two thousand oil industry lobbyists exactly how they should
legislate to protect our children and grandchildren from the worst
effects of global warming in the coming decades. What could possibly go
wrong?

    **NOTE : If you are not on YouTube premium you might see ads on
    today's video. Please be assured that I have NOT monetized this
    video ( I NEVER monetize any of my videos). It appears that one of
    the pieces of 'Royalty Free' music on the animation sequence has a
    copyright claim on it. The owner of that music therefore has the
    right to monetize the whole video if they so choose. There is
    nothing I can do to prevent this. Apologies if this affects you.

    COP28 Global Stocktake FINAL DRAFT (21 pages)
    https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/cma2023_L17_adv.pdf

    Beyond Oil & Gas Alliance
    https://beyondoilandgasalliance.org/

    Fossil Fuel Non-proliferation treaty
    https://fossilfueltreaty.org/

https://www.creationeffects.com/custom-3d-book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9l2ZDYFTMg

/[ Why the wait?  video 15 min ]/
*Sabine Hossenfelder's shocking predictions on climate action*
Mallen Baker
Dec 11, 2023
Sabine Hossenfelder is one of YouTube's foremost science communicators.
Recently, she made some very specific predictions about what the human
race really will do - and not do - about climate change. They managed to
upset both sides, so that made it a natural topic of conversation for
this channel! In this video, we cover the prediction, why it's
interesting, and what I think of it.
      Sabine Hossenfelder's channe/  @sabinehossenfelder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfAsdI9uEU

/[ Down Under dramatic images    ]/
*Queensland floods: Airport submerged and crocodiles seen after record rain*
17th December 2023
By Tiffanie Turnbull
BBC News, Sydney
Thousands of people have been evacuated but others remain stranded.
Extreme weather driven by a tropical cyclone has dumped a year's worth
of rain on some areas.
Images from the region show planes submerged at Cairns airport, a
crocodile seen in the middle of a town, and people fleeing homes in boats.
- -
So far no deaths or missing people have been reported.
Intense rainfall is expected to continue for another 24 hours.
Hundreds of people have been rescued - with many homes inundated, power
and roads cut off and safe drinking water dwindling.
The city of Cairns has received more than 2m of rainfall since the
weather event began.
Queensland Premier Steven Miles told the Australian Broadcasting
Corporation the natural disaster was "about the worst I can remember".
- -
"I have been talking to Cairns locals on the ground... and they say they
have never seen anything like it," he said.
"For someone from far north Queensland to say that, that is really
saying something."
He said the immediate concern was getting those trapped in rising waters
to safety, like those in the remote town of Wujal Wujal, about 175km
(110 miles) north of Cairns.
Nine people - including a sick child - spent the night on the roof of
the hospital after emergency crews were unable to reach them.
The group on Monday were relocated to another spot, but Mr Miles said
the entire town would now need to be evacuated...
- -
"After that, we have concerns about drinking water, about sewerage,
power and telecommunications, the roads - many of the roads are blocked
and we can't get aerial support in."
Forecasters said the torrential rain would continue for most of Monday
and coincide with a high tide, intensifying the impact on low-lying
communities.
While the rain is expected to begin easing on Tuesday, rivers are yet to
peak and will remain swollen for days...
- -
Several rivers are expected to break records set during a mammoth flood
event in 1977. The Daintree River, for example, has already exceeded the
previous record by 2m, after receiving 820mm of rain in 24 hours...
- -
State officials estimate the toll of the disaster will top A$1bn
(£529,000; $670,000).
Eastern Australia has been hit by frequent flooding in recent years and
the country is now enduring an El Nino weather event, which is typically
associated with extreme events such as wildfires and cyclones.
Australia has been plagued by a series of disasters in recent years -
severe drought and historic bushfires, successive years of
record-breaking floods, and six mass bleaching events on the Great
Barrier Reef.
A future full of worsening disasters is likely unless urgent action is
taken to halt climate change, the latest UN Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change (IPCC) report warns.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-67740978

/[ Parts of Iraq are drying up ]/
*‘Everyone is leaving’: water scarcity and displacement in Iraq*
Dec. 17, 2023
Abdullah Omar Yassen
As the country rebuilds from almost 20 years of conflict, Iraq is
increasingly facing the impact of a climate changing at whirlwind pace.
The United Nations estimates upwards of 130 thousand people have been
displaced by drought, and our latest report indicates the rate of this
displacement may be increasing.
- -
This year, 60 per cent of farmers across Anbar, Kirkuk, Nineveh and
Salahaddin told NRC they were forced to cultivate less land or use less
water. 4 in 5 in farming communities in Nineveh and Kirkuk used less
money for food. As Haleema, a single mother from Basra told me, “There
is very little for us here but hardship, and with each year, it gets
worse. Even the water we drink is not safe. It feels like nobody cares
for us anymore.”

While everyone across Iraq is impacted, our report finds the Nineveh
Plains might be an emerging hotspot. One in five people we spoke to in
Baaaj linked climate change to increased social tensions, and one in
four are thinking of moving because of drought. One in four farmers in
Sinjar and Baaj reported being forced to give up farming in 2023, and
almost 40 per cent had to reduce expenditure on food. The people of
Nineveh witnessed some of the worst impacts of war and decided to remain
or return home. Now, in 2023, it is the climate that might force them to
move...
- -
To mitigate the rapidly increasing risks of climate change, NRC
recommends that Iraq swiftly establish monitoring systems to track
levels of rainfall, river and groundwater to better inform regulation
and allocation of water resources. Second, the development of Iraq’s
Green Paper -which seeks to outline the country’s climate ambition and
mobilize cross-sectoral collaboration - should be hastened. Given the
pace at which the climate is changing in Iraq, the longer policies take
to be developed, the faster they will become outdated. Lastly, we urge
international financial institutions to take notice and step-up both
technical and financial support. The future of millions across Iraq hang
in the balance.

Abdullah Omar Yassen is the Advocacy Adviser for the Norwegian Refugee
Council (NRC) in Iraq.
https://www.rudaw.net/english/opinion/17122023

/[ The news archive Putin and the GOP  ]/
/*December 18, 2014 */
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow observes that Russian President Vladimir Putin has
damaged his country by making its economy overdependent on fossil
fuels...Russian President Vladimir Putin's marathon press conference,
the love he enjoys from American conservatives and the dire economic
straits he has run his country into.

http://on.msnbc.com/16xIDy9

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli