[✔️] Dec 30, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Henceforth we understand, Powerful storms. 7 Scientists speaking, 4 futurists speaking, Wildfire smoke, 2013 Daily Mail assailed

Sat Dec 30 07:37:40 EST 2023

/*December *//*30, 2023*/

/[ Our understanding came from looking backwards in a rear-view mirror.
“From this year onwards, we will understand..." the new record records ]/
*World will look back at 2023 as year humanity exposed its inability to
tackle climate crisis, scientists say*
Disastrous events included flash flooding in Africa and wildfires in
Europe and North America
Jonathan Watts Global environment editor
@jonathanwatts
Fri 29 Dec 2023
The hottest year in recorded history casts doubts on humanity’s ability
to deal with a climate crisis of its own making, senior scientists have
said.

As historically high temperatures continued to be registered in many
parts of the world in late December, the former Nasa scientist James
Hansen told the Guardian that 2023 would be remembered as the moment
when failures became apparent.

“When our children and grandchildren look back at the history of
human-made climate change, this year and next will be seen as the
turning point at which the futility of governments in dealing with
climate change was finally exposed,” he said.

“Not only did governments fail to stem global warming, the rate of
global warming actually accelerated.”

After what was probably the hottest July in 120,000 years, Hansen, whose
testimony to the US Senate in 1988 is widely seen as the first
high-profile revelation of global heating, warned that the world was
moving towards a “new climate frontier” with temperatures higher than at
any point over the past million years.

Now director of the climate programme at Columbia University’s Earth
Institute in New York, Hansen said the best hope was for a generational
shift of leadership.

“The bright side of this clear dichotomy is that young people may
realise that they must take charge of their future. The turbulent status
of today’s politics may provide opportunity,” he said.

His comments are a reflection of the dismay among experts at the
enormous gulf between scientific warnings and political action. It has
taken almost 30 years for world leaders to acknowledge that fossil fuels
are to blame for the climate crisis, yet this year’s United Nations
Cop28 summit in Dubai ended with a limp and vague call for a “transition
away” from them, even as evidence grows that the world is already
heating to dangerous levels.

Scientists are still processing data from this blistering year. The
latest to state it will be a record was the Japanese meteorological
agency, which measured temperatures in 2023 at 0.53C above the global
average between 1991 and 2020.

This was far above the previous record set in 2016, when temperatures
were 0.35C above that average. Over the longer term, the world is about
1.2C hotter than in preindustrial times.

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration previously
calculated that there was a “greater than 99% chance” that 2023 would be
the hottest year in its 174-year dataset. This followed six record warm
months in a row, including the northern hemisphere’s warmest summer and
autumn.

Driven by human-caused global heating and El Niño, the heat refused to
relent. In November, there was an even greater anomaly, with two days
warmer than 2C above the preindustrial average, according to Europe’s
Copernicus Climate Change Service.

It too has already confirmed the annual record, as has the World
Meteorological Organization. In December, many parts of the world
sweltered through the hottest-ever Christmas. With the new year
approaching, monthly temperature records were still being beaten in
central Asia, South America, Europe and Australia.

Berkeley Earth has predicted that average temperatures in 2023 will
almost certainly prove to have been 1.5C higher than preindustrial
levels. Although climate trends are based on decadal rather than annual
measurements, many scientists say it is probably only a matter of time
before the world overshoots the most ambitious of the Paris agreement
targets.

Veteran climate watchers have been horrified at the pace of change. “The
climate year 2023 is nothing but shocking, in terms of the strength of
climate occurrences, from heatwaves, droughts, floods and fires, to rate
of ice melt and temperature anomalies particularly in the ocean,” Prof
Johan Rockström, the joint director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate
Impact Research in Germany, said.

He said these new developments indicated the Earth was in uncharted
territory ​​and under siege. “What we mean by this is that we may be
seeing a shift in Earth’s response to 250 years of escalated human
pressures … to a situation of ‘payback’ where Earth starts sending
invoices back to the thin layer on Earth where humans live, in the form
of off the charts extremes.”

Rockstrom was among the authors of the 2018 “Hothouse Earth” paper,
which warned of a domino-like cascade of melting ice, warming seas and
dying forests could tilt the planet into a state beyond which human
efforts to reduce emissions will be increasingly futile.

Five years on, he said that what disturbed him most in 2023 was the
sharp increase in sea surface temperatures, which have been abrupt even
for an El Niño year.

“We do not understand why the ocean heat increase is so dramatic, and we
do not know what the consequences are in the future,” he said. “Are we
seeing the first signs of a state shift? Or is it [a] freak outlier?”

In the Antarctic, scientists have also been perplexed and worried by the
pace of change. The new Brazilian scientific module Criosfera 2, a solar
and wind-powered laboratory that collects meteorological information,
measured the lowest extent of sea ice in the region both for summer and
winter.

“This environmental alert is a sign of ongoing global environmental
changes and poses a daunting challenge for polar scientists to explain,”
said Francisco Eliseu Aquino, a professor of climatology and
oceanography at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul and the
deputy director of Brazil’s polar and climatic centre.

West Antarctica was affected by several winter heatwaves associated with
the landfall of atmospheric rivers. In early July, a Chilean team on
King George Island, at the northern tip of the Antarctic peninsula,
registered an unprecedented event of rainfall in the middle of the
austral winter when only snowfalls are expected.

In January, a massive iceberg, measuring about 1,500 sq km, broke off
from the Brunt ice shelf in the Weddell Sea. It was the third colossal
calving in the same region in three years.

Aquino said human influence – through the burning of fossil fuels – had
also created “frightening” dynamics between the poles and the tropics.
Cold wet fronts from the Antarctic had interacted with record heat and
drought in the Amazon to create unprecedented storms in between. Floods
in southern Brazil killed 51 people in early September and then returned
with similarly devastating force in mid-November.

Aquino said this “record record” was a taste of what was to come as the
world entered dangerous levels of warming. “From this year onwards, we
will understand concretely what it means to flirt with 1.5C [of heating]
in the global average temperature and new records for disasters,” he said.

This is already happening. This year’s deadliest climate disaster was
the flood in Libya that killed more than 11,300 people in the coastal
city of Derna. In a single day, Storm Daniel unleashed 200 times as much
rain as usually falls on the city in the entire month of September.
Human-induced climate change made this up to 50 times more likely.
Forest fires burned a record area in Canada and Europe, and killed about
100 people in Lahaina on Maui island, the deadliest wildfire in US
history, which happened in August. For those who prefer to calculate
catastrophe in economic terms, the US broke its annual record of
billion-dollar disasters by August, by which time there had already been 23.

Raul Cordero, a climate professor at the University of Groningen and the
University of Santiago, said the effects of this year’s heat were being
felt across South America in the form of unprecedented water stress in
Uruguay, record-breaking fires in Chile, the most severe drought in the
Amazon basin in 50 years, prolonged power shortages in Ecuador caused by
the lack of hydropower, and increased shipping costs along the Panama
canal due to low water levels.

Cordero said El Niño was forecast to weaken in the coming year, but
above average or record temperatures were likely to persist for at least
the next three months.

And, as science has proved beyond any doubt, global temperatures would
continue to rise as long as humanity continues to burn fossil fuels and
forests.

In the years ahead, the heat “anomaly” and catastrophes of 2023 would
first become the new norm, and then be looked back on as one of the
cooler, more stable years in people’s lives. As Hansen warned, unless
there is radical and rapid change, failure will be built into the
climate system.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/29/world-will-look-back-at-2023-as-year-humanity-exposed-its-inability-to-tackle-climate-crisis

/[ "Nothing to see here... move along,  everything's OK now..."]/
*Unusually large waves hit the coast of California amid powerful storms*
Guardian News
  Dec 29, 2023
The storms have left at least eight people needing hospital treatment.
Waves more than 20ft high poured over seawalls and the tops of low
cliffs along the Pacific coast, flooding nearby streets and leaving many
injured. In a video taken on Thursday morning, people are seen fleeing
Pierpont beach – just north of Los Angeles – as a rogue wave engulfs the
area

Eight people taken to hospital as huge waves pound California coast
Extreme weather is changing California. These road trips show how
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My41Mcwx4jg

/[ "action now"  - "remain hopeful"  - "fix leaks" - "adapt"  - "collect
data" ]/
*How 7 scientists feel after the hottest year on record*
What it’s like to study a world facing unprecedented changes.
By Umair Irfan  Dec 27, 2023,
Umair Irfan is a correspondent at Vox writing about climate change,
Covid-19, and energy

2023 is the hottest year in at least 174 years and recent months have
been the hottest in 125,000 years. All of that warming led to deadly
heat waves, disease outbreaks, floods, droughts, and record low ice
levels around Antarctica.
The extreme weather this year stems in part from natural variability,
including a powerful El Niño warming pattern in the Pacific Ocean that
reshaped weather around the world. But beneath these cycles, humanity’s
ravenous appetite for coal, oil, and natural gas is driving up
concentrations of heat-trapping gasses in the atmosphere to levels the
Earth hasn’t witnessed for 3 million years.

This year may be the first time that annual temperatures have risen 1.5
degrees Celsius, 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit, above the global average at the
dawn of the industrial revolution. Under the 2015 Paris agreement, just
about every country in the world agreed to keep the planet’s average
temperature from rising more than 2°C, striving to stay below 1.5°C. A
single year rising past this level doesn’t mean this target is toast,
but if people keep heating up the planet, a year like 2023 will become
one of the coolest we’ll experience in the rest of our lives.

Earlier this month, leaders from around the world wrapped the largest
climate conference in history aimed at preventing this outcome. The
COP28 meeting in the United Arab Emirates produced an agreement that
explicitly called on countries to reduce fossil fuel use for the first
time and provide more money to countries facing destruction worsened by
warming. But the commitments made so far are still not enough to limit
warming to 1.5°C, and greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise.

Half a world away, scientists who study this warming and its
consequences gathered at the American Geophysical Union conference in
San Francisco. Climate change is not an abstraction for these
researchers, and many are observing it in real time, often in areas that
have personal stakes for them. Looking back on the hottest year on
record and what little humanity has done about it, some are reckoning
with how their own work fits in. From the retreat of Arctic ice to
rising demand for air conditioning, scientists with their fingers on the
pulse of the planet are experiencing a mix of optimism, dread, and
urgency as they endeavor to make their research practical in the real world.

I spoke with seven researchers studying Earth’s changes from different
angles. Their comments below have been lightly edited.

Daniel Schindler at the University of Washington researches how climate
change affects aquatic ecosystems, including Alaska’s sockeye, chinook,
and chum salmon. He was one of several scientists presenting the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Arctic Report Card for
2023 at the conference. The Arctic has been warming four times faster
than the rest of the planet, and this year, the region saw its warmest
summer since 1900 (when record-keeping began), with knock-on effects
like Canada’s worst wildfire season on record. As negotiators in the
United Arab Emirates bickered over the future of the planet, Schindler
noted that the effects of climate change are underway now, and it’s
already reshaping ecosystems and human communities:

    I think the reality is, if you look at Western Alaska, climate
    change is not something that’s coming down the pipe somewhere in the
    future. It is happening now, it’s been happening for decades. And
    whether you’re talking about fish or people or birds, there are real
    impacts that we need to deal with right now.

    And when you hear about what’s going on at COP28, there may be a
    reason to be optimistic. But the reality is, we need action on the
    ground right now, not to necessarily turn around climate change
    immediately, but to deal with the fact that we’re going to be
    challenged by it, now and for decades to come, so we need action now
    at local scales.

Rick Thoman, who studies Alaska’s climate and weather at the University
of Alaska Fairbanks, echoed the call for more immediate steps to deal
with global warming, noting that the Arctic has been at the leading edge
of climate change long before it reached the extremes seen this year.
The communities there may have important lessons for the rest of the world:

    As Alaskans, as peoples in the Arctic, we are living this change
    every day. And we have no choice, no choice at all, other than to
    work with what’s happening. We need the big picture solutions, but
    everyone — Indigenous communities, all the people of the Arctic —
    are having to adapt right here, right now. It didn’t start today. It
    didn’t start yesterday. This has been ongoing for years. Listen to
    the elders. This change has been happening for decades,
    century-scale changes. And Arctic peoples are still here and we’re
    still going to be here.

Sarah Cooley, an assistant professor at the University of Oregon, is
studying how climate change is altering ice in places like coastal
Alaska and has found that when you zoom in, the way it affects people
can be quite complicated. How ice melts and the impacts it has on
communities can vary drastically, even in nearby regions. With COP28
still falling short of global climate goals, Cooley is also looking into
the way the success or failure of international negotiations will
manifest on the ground:

    In this broader context of warming climate, loss of ice, thawing
    permafrost, threats of coastal erosion, and sea level rise, that’s
    kind of this giant signal that each person experiences differently
    depending on their interaction with their environment.

    I get really excited about being able to do research that is locally
    relevant. One of the things we did in this project is we’re thinking
    about how Paris climate agreement targets translate to local
    on-the-ground experiences. If you tell somebody that the Earth is
    going to warm by 1.5°C or 2°C, that’s an incredibly abstract concept
    because the difference to us of two degrees doesn’t mean anything.
    But if you can translate that experience of two degrees warming to
    an actual on-the-ground experience that’s highly localized — so
    let’s say a loss of 30 days of ice versus 50 days of ice, which is a
    huge deal for someone living in the community to lose a month of ice
    versus losing two months of ice — that to me is really exciting work
    that we can kind of take large-scale big numbers that are really
    abstract and bring them down to a local experience.

Robert Green, a scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, is
leading a project to track mineral dust using instruments on the
International Space Station. This is an important mechanism that can
change air quality, the flow of nutrients across the planet, and the
amount of sunlight hitting the Earth, which can cool the planet. Green
is also keeping an eye on methane, a greenhouse gas with about 30 times
the warming potential of carbon dioxide. At COP28, countries made new
pledges to curb methane, and Green said scientists can help them meet
their targets:

    We can tell people where the point sources of methane are, where
    leaks are happening, and give people the information to address
    those leaks. And that’s something that is just so important to do.
    Nobody wants to waste money out of a leaking pipeline. Let’s go
    ahead and fix those leaks, and we also reduce the impact of methane
    for climate change.

    I’m excited to be making a difference. I’m an optimistic person, and
    we can work together to address this problem. It’s not an easy
    problem, but the pieces are coming together. So I’m going to remain
    hopeful.

Stepp Mayes, a doctoral student at the University of Southern
California, studies how people use electricity and the ensuing
consequences for the climate and for health. Lately he’s been examining
the growing demand for air conditioning as temperatures rise and the
stresses that imparts on the power grid. As temperatures go up, people
install more cooling systems, run them longer, and crank them up during
the hottest times of day. That’s often when the power grid is struggling
the most to provide electricity. The extreme heat this year coupled with
record-high energy demand signals that this work is only going to become
more important:

    It makes me nervous. There’s a big intersection because we’re all
    about looking at the relationship between temperature and AC use and
    AC penetration. I think that people are directly responding to
    increasing temperature, and I think we are going to see that
    continue as temperatures continue to rise, where our reliance on AC
    — as a public health issue, and as a grid issue — becomes larger and
    larger.

Aliyah Griffith, a doctoral student at the University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, studies coral reef infrastructure around places like
Barbados, from satellites and from the water. Griffith is also the
founder and CEO of Mahogany Mermaids, a nonprofit that works to
encourage women of color to pursue careers in science, particularly in
aquatic fields. The extreme temperatures this year, including heat waves
in the ocean, have renewed her determination:

    My family is from Barbados. Not only does that make me feel more
    driven to answer questions from a scientist’s perspective — how can
    we help the reefs? How can we understand what they need and what
    they’re facing? — but also: What do the communities need? How can we
    interact with their local governments, their local institutions, and
    understand where they can be elevated? You have to really respect a
    lot of the work and effort that they’ve already done to see what can
    change in the future.

Gordon Walker, a researcher at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa,
studies paleoclimate, particularly how past shifts in the climate and
weather influenced historical events. For instance, changing climate
conditions in Africa and the Caribbean were a factor in the slave trade
and may have played a part in uprisings. For Walker, the role of the
climate in historical periods of unrest is adding urgency for the need
to fill in data gaps as the climate breaches records, particularly in
regions experiencing the most acute impacts of warming today:

    For me — my focus being the Caribbean and Africa, and the
    transatlantic slave trade, and climate variability associated with
    those regions and the historical event of the trade — I think that
    it’s important for us to collect data on regions in the global South
    — the Caribbean, South America, Africa — because a lot of the
    science and research is focused on the global North.

    I think it’s imperative, especially in areas where we don’t have a
    lot of data, to start collecting data and applying the powers or the
    tools of analysis that we have for climate to the global South.
    Because a lot of countries in those regions are not necessarily
    resource-poor in terms of raw material but resource-poor in terms of
    economies and having the ability to respond to extreme climate. So I
    think the greater lead time we have with projections based on
    studying the past, the better for those countries to be able to
    respond, especially with limited economies, as compared to countries
    in the global North.

https://www.vox.com/24008047/2023-warmest-year-cop28-climate-change-science

/[ about future feelings and attitudes,  the facts of climate change are
not considered here - we must be positive about what our future is
available to our views ]/
*Debunking doomerism: 4 futurists on why we’re actually not f*cked |
Kevin Kelly & more*
Big Think
  Dec 22, 2023
Four visionaries—Kevin Kelly,  Peter Schwartz, Ari Wallach, and Tyler
Cowen—share their insights on the future, urging viewers to consider the
impact of their actions on future generations.
- -
  / @bigthink
- -
Explore the future with visionaries Kevin Kelly,  Peter Schwartz, Ari
Wallach, and Tyler Cowen.

While each is looking into the future through a different lens, they all
share a belief in the power of optimism and proactive engagement as
essential tools for overcoming today's challenges.

Wallach introduces "Longpath," urging long-term thinking, while Kelly
advocates for "Protopia," emphasizing gradual progress. Schwartz
highlights scenario planning's importance, emphasizing curiosity and
collaboration. Cowen reflects on America's progress and calls for urgency.

Together, they stress empathy, transgenerational thinking, and diverse
futures to collectively build a better tomorrow. The message: the future
is a continuous creation requiring proactive, collective action.
Read the video transcript ►
https://bigthink.com/series/the-big-think-interview/progress

► About Kevin Kelly:
Kevin Kelly is Senior Maverick at WIRED magazine. He co-founded WIRED in
1993, and served as its Executive Editor for its first seven years. His
newest book is The Inevitable, a New York Times and Wall Street Journal
bestseller. He is founder of the popular Cool Tools website, which has
been reviewing tools daily for 20 years. From 1984-1990 Kelly was
publisher and editor of the Whole Earth Review, a subscriber-supported
journal of unorthodox conceptual news. He co-founded the ongoing
Hackers’ Conference, and was involved with the launch of the WELL, a
pioneering online service started in 1985.

► About Peter Schwartz:
Peter Schwartz is an internationally renowned futurist and business
strategist, specializing in scenario planning and working with
corporations, governments, and institutions to create alternative
perspectives of the future and develop robust strategies for a changing
and uncertain world. As Senior Vice President of Strategic Planning for
Salesforce, he manages the organization’s ongoing strategic conversation.

Peter was co-founder and chairman of Global Business Network. He is the
author of several works. His first book, The Art of the Long View, is
considered a seminal publication on scenario planning. Peter has also
served as a script consultant on the films "The Minority Report," "Deep
Impact," "Sneakers," and "War Games." He received a B.S. in aeronautical
engineering and astronautics from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in
New York.

► About Ari Wallach:
Ari Wallach is an applied futurist and Executive Director of Longpath
Labs. He is the author of Longpath: Becoming the Great Ancestors Our
Future Needs by HarperCollins and the creator and host of the
forthcoming series on PBS A Brief History of the Future, which is being
executive produced by Kathryn Murdoch and Drake.

He has been a strategy and foresight advisor to Fortune 100 companies,
the US Department of State, the Ford Foundation, the UN Refugee Agency,
the RacialEquity 2030 Challenge and Politico’s Long Game Forum.

As adjunct associate professor at Columbia University he lectured on
innovation, AI, and the future of public policy. Wallach's TED talk on
Longpath has been viewed 2.6 million times and translated into 21
languages. Ari was the co-creator of 2008's pro-Obama The Great Schlep
with Sarah Silverman.

► About Tyler Cowen:
Tyler is the Holbert L. Harris Chair of Economics at George Mason
University and serves as chairman and general director of the Mercatus
Center at George Mason University. He is co-author of the popular
economics blog Marginal Revolution and co-founder of the online
educational platform Marginal Revolution University.

He graduated from George Mason University with a bachelor's degree in
economics and earned a Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University. He
also runs a podcast series called Conversations with Tyler. His latest
book Talent: How to Identify Energizers, Creatives and Winners Around
the World is co-authored with venture capitalist Daniel Gross.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuAwied4x2Q

/[  text or listen to the audio - generally must pay attention to what
we breathe ]/
*Wildfire smoke this year woke up places unaccustomed to its effects.
Now what?*
DECEMBER 29, 20235:00 AM ET
HEARD ON ALL THINGS CONSIDERED
By Alejandra Borunda
This summer, millions of people across the eastern U.S. woke up one June
morning to apocalyptic orange skies and thick, choking wildfire smoke.

Over the summer, massive Canadian wildfires blanketed central and
eastern North America with smoke that lingered on and off for months,
sending hundreds of people to the hospital. The unprecedented smoke,
which showed up in parts of the country where it had never before been a
problem, highlighted the growing and inescapable health risks from
climate-related issues. And it showed how far many places have to go to
help people protect themselves from the risks.
"The research coming out clearly shows that wildfire smoke is more toxic
than air pollution from other sources," says Kristi Ebi, a climate and
health expert at the University of Washington. This year, she says,
underscored the importance of understanding those risks, but also
exposed gaps in current understanding. For instance, it's still not
clear how heavy exposure can affect health years down the line.
The year of orange skies
In March, wildfires started to burn across Canada, and within months
burned through more than 45 million acres, the most ever recorded in the
nation.

The fires were likely pushed to those new extremes by human-caused
climate change. The hot, dry weather that settled in over the country,
increasing the risk of wildfires, was twice as likely because of climate
change, according to the World Weather Attribution group, researchers
who quickly assess the relationship between climate change and extreme
weather. In general, fossil fuel-driven climate change has made
wildfires bigger, more intense, and by extension, smokier.

Smoke from the Canadian fires spread as far south as Florida and
darkened skies in Iowa. In late June, the smoke's dregs floated as far
as Europe. Waves of smoke passed over North America for weeks, exposing
millions to a dangerous mix of tiny soot particles, ash, and noxious gasses.

"We all out here [in the West] have been keenly aware of wildfires for
some time now," says Scott Fendorf, a geoscientist at Stanford
University, who is based in California. But this year, he says, that
awareness spread to people in the middle of the country and the East
Coast. "They really understood what we're facing now–and that they're
not spared from it either."

*How bad is smoke?*
In early June, the air quality index in New York City hit 460 for the
whole-day average. Air quality indexes measure air pollution: the higher
the number, the worse the pollution. That number shocked doctors and
medical experts. The previous daily record, from 2003, was 86 – what the
EPA considers moderately unhealthy. But during the smoke event, New
York's air quality was nearly off the EPA's chart, well into the realm
it considers an "emergency."

The smoke sent hundreds of people to emergency rooms in New York and
beyond. Asthma-related visits across the state spiked by more than 80%
on June 7, the worst day of smoke; in New York City, emergency
departments took in 44% more respiratory patients than normal over the
course of the smokiest week.

Tiny pollution particles in smoke can be ten times smaller than the
width of a human hair, so small they can cross into people's bloodstream
once inhaled. Then, the body's immune system reacts, driving an
inflammatory response similar to that seen in cigarette smokers.

Smoke makes respiratory problems like asthma worse. But because the
minute particles in the smoke penetrate beyond the lungs, they can also
hurt other parts of the body. "The circulatory system can be affected.
You can get headaches,'' says Sam Heft-Neal, a scientist at Stanford
University who studies wildfire smoke effects. Heart attacks and strokes
are more common on smoky days. "And it's not just people with
preexisting conditions, although they're particularly vulnerable, as
well as children and pregnant women."
"It's really a health crisis," says Kai Chen, a climate and health
expert at Yale University, who led the New York emergency department
study that found increased visits during the smoky week.
The long-term effects of smoke exposure, or how much worse heavy smoke
is than mild conditions, are still open questions. But "we're slowly
moving towards the recognition that wildfires and wildfire smoke are
more hazardous to us than we had recognized," says Fendorf.

That toxicity is partly rooted in the changing composition of wildfire
smoke. Wildfires no longer remain solely in wooded areas or grasslands,
where they burn mostly vegetation. Now, as massive fires burn into human
communities, they burn synthetic materials like housing insulation,
plastics, or cars. Recent work from the EPA shows smoke containing those
materials drove more inflammation, lung problems, and gene mutations in
mice exposed to it.

Fendorf and his colleagues found traces of hexavalent chromium in
wildfire ash in Northern California from fires in 2019 and 2020. The
metal, known as the "Erin Brockovitch chemical," is a known carcinogen;
Brockovitch became famous in the 1990s for fighting a California utility
for polluting her town's groundwater with the cancer-causing metal.
Chromium occurs naturally in some rocks and soil, but when heated to
temperatures characteristic of intense wildfires, it converts to its
toxic form. The researchers say it's likely it was present in smoke
plumes breathed in by people across California during those fires.
Fendorf, an author of that December study, was alarmed by his own
findings. Before, he'd taken smoke risk lightly. He went running outside
when it was smoky, and didn't feel the need to put on a
particle-filtering mask unless the smoke was heavy. "Now, having new
knowledge of what's in that particulate matter, my calculus is totally
different," he says. "I'm going to be wearing a N95 mask much, much,
much earlier than I would have in the past."

The health risks of smoke are particularly high for children. They
breathe in more damaging smoke with every breath compared to adults. But
the long-term impacts on their growth and development are still unknown.
Given the developing science and the increased risks of wildfires and
smoke, Fendorf says it's time to think seriously about how to protect
people. In the short term, people can lower their personal risk by
wearing particle-filtering N95 masks and filtering their indoor air. But
longer term efforts to reduce the explosive, high-intensity
wildfires–the ones that produce the most smoke– are also necessary, he says.

Controlled burns, Fendorf says, could help reduce the extra burnable
material in forests, making explosive wildfires less likely. "If we're
really controlling severity, fire severity by doing control burns, that
could end up being a huge bonus in terms of our health ramifications,"
he says.

The other key strategy, he says, is stopping another intensifier of
wildfires: human-caused climate change.
https://www.npr.org/2023/12/29/1220114166/wildfire-smoke-this-year-woke-up-places-unaccustomed-to-its-effects-now-what

/[The news archive - MediaMatters assails UK Daily Mail  ]/
/*December 30, 2013 */
December 30, 2013: MediaMatters names the UK Daily Mail the "Climate
Change Misinformer of the Year."
http://mediamatters.org/mobile/research/2013/12/30/climate-change-misinformer-of-the-year-the-dail/197340

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli