[✔️] February 14, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Restoring emotions, Moon dust, Senegal, Political ads, How Florida faces reality, Oreskes, 1979

Tue Feb 14 07:48:20 EST 2023

/*February 14, 2023*/

/[  better than chocolate? ] /
*Prescribing nature: the restorative power of a simple dose of outdoors*
The health benefits of green or blue prescriptions are many and there
are calls to integrate them more into routine care
Donna Lu Science writer
@donnadlu
Sat 11 Feb 2023
Being in nature, studies tell us, has significant positive effects on
our mental and physical health. Living close to green or blue spaces –
rural or coastal environments – has been linked time and time again to
reductions in the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and symptoms
of anxiety and depression. Access to green space has also been linked to
a reduced risk of loneliness and some have even suggested that
interacting with microbes in the environment may be beneficial for our
immune systems.

Overseas, the link between spending time in nature and wellbeing has led
to the rise of nature-based prescription programs, sometimes described
as “green prescriptions” or “blue prescriptions”. In 2020, the UK
government announced £4m for a two-year green prescription pilot in four
areas that had been hard hit by Covid. Since the beginning of 2022,
doctors in several Canadian provinces have been able to prescribe time
in nature to their patients, including a pass that gives access to the
country’s national parks. In Japan, health practitioners have
recommended shinrin-yoku – forest bathing, a practice that involves
connecting with nature through the senses – since 1982....
In Australia, nature prescribing is not yet commonplace, despite a
growing body of research pointing to both potential benefits and local
interest. Studies of nearly 47,000 Australians have found that in urban
areas, a threshold of at least 30% green space or tree canopy is
associated with health benefits, including lower odds of diabetes and
psychological distress...
A national survey Astell-Burt and Feng conducted during the pandemic
found that 82% of Australian adults would be interested in receiving a
nature prescription and that appetite was still high (76%) among those
who were spending the least amount of time – less than two hours a week
– in nature.

“There is no national or even state nature prescription program to which
health professionals could refer these individuals or any sort of
consistent guidelines that health professionals could follow in
Australia,” Astell-Burt says...

“We need to run high-quality randomised trials which show definitively
what types of nature prescriptions work where, when and for whom. We
can’t assume there’ll be a one-size-fits-all solution.”...

Experts suggest that spending time in nature may not have the same
barrier to uptake as exercise, which people might dread or avoid despite
knowledge of its benefits. The upside of a nature prescription is not
having to work up the motivation to, say, tackle a big run in the park,
Feng says. “You could just relax there, listen to birdsong, be with your
friends [or] even just have a small urban garden on your balcony.”

While “it’s not a silver bullet”, Feng suggests that nature
prescriptions could be integrated into the health system as part of
routine care. “[It] could have multiple benefits for people’s mental,
social and physical health and probably cost little to the individual
and the health system.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/12/prescribing-nature-the-restorative-power-of-a-simple-dose-of-outdoors

/[ Paul Beckwith Opinion on g//eo-engineering //- Shooting Moon Dust to
block the sun --37 min video ]/
*Far-Out Idea: Can we launch Moon Dust towards the Sun to Block 2% of
Sunlight to Stabilize Climate?*
Paul Beckwith
  Feb 12, 2023
Far-Out Idea: Can we launch Moon Dust towards the Sun to Block 2% of
Sunlight to Stabilize Climate?

A brand spanking new peer reviewed scientific paper just came out a few
days ago in a very reputable journal to examine the feasibility of this
very concept.

Clearly, many people, including scientists are having a lot of
existential angst these days. The more any of us learn about abrupt
climate system change and it’s near-term consequences, the more we
become concerned about the short-term viability of humanity on this
planet, let alone long term survival.

As a result, more and more people are thinking outside the box trying to
come up with schemes to save our souls on this planet. In this video I
discuss one such idea. Love it or hate it, you have to admit that it is
quite creative and has some definite advantages over other schemes that
have been examined previously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaRMd2-YNw

/[ NPR has a bit of visual media view of Senegal  ]/
*Disappearing Saint-Louis*
In Senegal, rising seas have led to devastating coastal erosion. If
there is a war against climate change, the UNESCO World Heritage city of
Saint-Louis is on the front lines. And the ocean is winning.
Published Feb. 13, 2023
https://apps.npr.org/saint-louis-senegal-climate-change/

/[ A fascinating discussion of the backroom media//, a video discussion ]/
*Rocky Talk Live: How Political Ads Are Made…and How They Can Get Better*
Dartmouth
Feb 13, 2023
Political consultant Andy Meyer gives a behind-the-scenes look at
political ads. Charles Wheelan '88 hosts.

Speaker: Andy Meyer
Partner, A-L Media

Host: Charles Wheelan ’88
Senior Lecturer and Senior Policy Fellow
Rockefeller Center, Dartmouth College

Lecture Info:
A conversation with a leading campaign strategist about how candidates
craft their messages and a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into the
making of modern political ads.

Andy Meyer, who lives in Hanover, will also answer questions about how
to build a career as a political consultant.

Speaker Bio:
Andy Meyer is an award-winning political ad-maker for leading Democratic
candidates and progressive organizations. Most recently, Andy led Sen.
Warnock’s digital advertising program during his historic victories in
2020 and 2022 and he’s helped make hundreds of TV and digital ads for
candidates from Maine to Hawaii.

Andy is a partner at the leading progressive media firm A L Media. He
lives in Hanover with his wife Emily, their two daughters and puppy who
can’t seem stay out of trouble.

Moderator Bio:
Charles Wheelan '88, Senior Lecturer and Senior Policy Fellow, was
formerly a senior lecturer in public policy at the Harris School at the
University of Chicago prior to returning to Dartmouth full-time in June
2012. He has also served as a correspondent for The Economist, and
written freelance articles for the Chicago Tribune, the New York Times,
and the Wall Street Journal. In addition to his work at Dartmouth, he
has spent time as a speechwriter, a Congressional candidate and in other
policy-related positions that inform his academic work. He has authored
four books: Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science, Naked
Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data, The Centrist Manifesto,
and Naked Money: A Revealing Look at What It Is and Why It Matters. He
is the author of The Rationing, a novel published in 2019 about the
politics of a pandemic. His most recent book is We Came, We Saw, We
Left, which is a family memoir describing a nine-month trip around the
world. Wheelan is the founder of Unite America, an organization working
to promote political change by re-empowering the political center. He
earned his B.A. from Dartmouth College, his M.A. in public affairs from
Princeton University, and his Ph.D. in public policy from the University
of Chicago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF3qvzYxRFU

/[ Notice how Florida faces their predicament ]/
*Sarasota Climate Conference Emphasizes Opportunities in a Growing Crisis*
Last week’s climate conference noted ways in which solving the climate
crisis is not only possible, it’s profitable.
By Bethany Ritz
February 13, 2023
At last Thursday’s climate conference, Sarasota’s Climate Adaptation
Center brought together what might initially seem like a strange group
of people: key business leaders, a paleontologist, scientists, an
insurance innovator, finance leaders, academics and philanthropists. The
topic of the day? “The Triple Threat of Water.”

The conference showed that community is crucial for adapting to and
mitigating climate crises, which require us to work together and learn
from each other to secure a livable future in which we all can thrive.
Every past success with climate issues—like the continued elimination of
ozone-depleting substances through the Montreal Protocol, which has
resulted in the ozone hole getting smaller over time—has come from this
kind of communal decision-making. And within every talk or panel
discussion at the conference, now in its third year, the phrase “we need
to work together” was used.

The main theme of the day: opportunities abound, from innovations in
insurance and academia to the ability for business leaders to profit
while also protecting the most vulnerable among us. While a single-day
event doesn’t solve every challenge we face when it comes to the climate
crisis, there was a sense of possibility in the air.

Often, the public discussion around the overheating of the planet can
leave us with a sense of overwhelm. When facing climate catastrophes,
how can we do anything but cower, avoid and deny? However, there is a
way through, as well as a way to find a sense of agency within the
urgency. The conference exhibited what that might look like. Here are
some key takeaways.
*
**The Bad News*
*The climate has already changed.*
It is no longer static or stable. We need to deal with the fact that
climate change is here. Plus, extreme climate events have doubled—and
will do so again by 2050.
*
**We’re going to overshoot the safe zone for climate overheating.*
An increase of 1.5 degrees globally is considered a safe zone—and yet,
based on current numbers, we’re going to overshoot that and reach a
2-degree increase by 2050 (which is why the extreme climate events are
going to double again).

*Nothing is going to stop the local impacts we’ll see in 2050.*
Between now and 2050, we’re not going to slow this down. What we do
today will be realized in 2050—in other words, there’s a lag in the
impacts of our behavior. “That’s the difference between climate and
weather,” Bunting explains.

*The response in every sector has been too slow.*
Local climate has changed, too, and we need both mitigation and
adaptation strategies to deal with those changes proactively instead of
retroactively.

*What We Can Do Right Now*
*Change the building codes with 2050 in mind.*
Current building codes are based on climate and weather expectations of
the 1990s. Instead of basing those codes on the past, basing them on
what we know we can expect from the future will help local communities
prepare for the change.
*Take advantage of tax credits both at home as well as in manufacturing.*
The Inflation Reduction Act offers tax credits for green building—and we
can take advantage of them. Entrepreneurs can get ahead of the curve,
since change breeds new demands for safer and climate-considered housing.

*Increase philanthropic focus on climate.*
Philanthropist Elizabeth Moore described the losses to her Myakka ranch
due to flooding during Hurricane Ian. The takeaway from the conference:
shift climate-related giving from 2 percent to 10 percent.
*
**“Climate screen” all projects.*
Every sector needs to screen its projects for potential climate
vulnerabilities to inform their decision-making. This will avoid partial
solutions and create more robust and longer-lasting projects.
*Here’s How These Insights Can Translate Locally*

    -- Knowing your elevation is crucial to surviving the next hurricane
    as well as knowing how to better prepare for the risks associated
    with your property.
    -- The road connecting the Ringling Causeway to the new Gulfstream
    roundabout was not raised during the project, which means this
    essential evacuation route will be underwater during storm surges
    and potentially unpassable for most cars.
    -- Is the plan for the new Sarasota Performing Arts Center
    considering the sea level rise we’ll have by 2050—or are those
    targets matching the old 1990 codes?
    -- Designated garages to house cars during evacuations. More than
    350,000 cars were lost during Hurricane Ian. Without proactive
    measures, such as designated spaces to park cars, those who live on
    barrier islands will need to relocate their vehicles along with
    themselves during a storm.
    -- Businesses and homeowners can consider using paint that reflects
    heat. This is not only a mitigation strategy, it’s an adaptation
    strategy. Heat-reflective house paint can reduce the impact of the
    hottest days that we’re going to see.

“It’s all about movement and traction—moving our energy into the
solution instead of complaining and denying it,” Bunting says. “We have
to decide this is an opportunity to lower risk and make money. We have
to be greedy.”

To get involved with the Climate Adaptation Center you can become a
member or visit their site to learn more about what you can do.
theclimateadaptationcenter.org
https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/home-and-real-estate/2023/02/sarasota-climate-conference-2023

- -

/[ pay attention because this Florida organization could exist anywhere ]/
*The Climate Adaptation Center*
The Climate Adaptation Center is a focal point for understanding
Florida’s evolving climate. We explore synergies among science, business
and government to help individuals and businesses to adapt and thrive in
a dynamic climate...
- -
*Our Mission*
The Climate Adaptation Center, Inc. (CAC) is an independent, non-profit
organization headquartered in Sarasota, Florida. CAC is bridging the gap
between state of the art scientific research and public sector
understanding of our changing climate. Founded in 2019 by Bob Bunting,
Chairman and CEO, CAC is led by a team of climate scientists, executives
and entrepreneurs.

The scope of the climate challenges faced by Florida and the rest of the
world are highlighted in this keystone article and this interview with
Bob Bunting on the eve of CAC’s website launch on October 30, 2020.

Our hope is to stimulate the creation of adaptation strategies and
actions to protect the Florida way of life in a time of global climate
change – Bob Bunting, CEO, Climate Adaptation Center

While international solutions to the global climate problem evolve in
the coming decades, we are focused on the immediate need to address
Florida’s present and future climate warming issues. Foremost among
these are sea level rise, hazards to human health, red tide, changing
hurricanes, and threats to the natural environment.

Our mission is to build CAC into a focal point connecting the scientific
community, the public sector and private enterprise to apply climate
science to solving Florida’s unique challenges, while engaging Florida
businesses in developing cost-effective adaptation strategies for Florida.

The images of Florida’s iconic Ponce de León Inlet lighthouse symbolize
the goals of the Climate Adaptation Center: to warn of climate hazards
and to help navigate the best course of action.

https://www.theclimateadaptationcenter.org/about-us/

/[ //Talking Points //Politco in Europe - Naomi Oreskes on scientific
uncertainty. ]/
*ORESKES ON WHEN — AND WHEN NOT — TO COMMUNICATE UNCERTAINTY: *What
ethical obligation do advocates for regulatory action have to
acknowledge scientific uncertainty, given that the evidence is pretty
much never 100 percent?

That was the question posed at a Corporate Europe Observatory seminar
last week to Naomi Oreskes. Her seminal book with Erik Conway,
“Merchants of Doubt,” documented how industries Big Tobacco and Big Oil
wielded and amplified scientific uncertainty about potential harms to
block restrictions that could protect human and planetary health.
*
**Don’t overdo it: *Sure, conveying what we know and what we don’t is
“important,” said Oreskes, appearing remotely. Scientists have to be
honest, of course.

The “mistake” some scientists make, she continued, is “trying to nail
down details that don’t really change what you need to do from a policy
standpoint.” Call it the “second decimal point problem.”
*
**Minimal factor: *A decade or two ago, researchers thought that if they
could get politicians to act if they could just “reduce the uncertainties.”

“We know now that that was entirely false,” she said. The real reasons
for inaction, Oreskes said, included “disinformation from the fossil
fuel industry” and “the legitimate” and “technological” challenges of
transitioning to a new economy. “The scientific uncertainty was the
least of it.”
https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/politico-eu-influence/meet-the-big-men-oreskes-on-uncertainty-meta-versus-2/

/[The news archive - looking back at time when we looked forward - it
was 44 years ago -  ]/
/*February 14, 1979*/
February 14, 1979: The New York Times reports: "There is a real
possibility that some people now in their infancy will live to a time
when the ice at the North Pole will have melted, a change that would
cause swift and perhaps catastrophic changes in climate."
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F60716FD3A5D12728DDDAD0994DA405B898BF1D3

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli