[✔️] February 27, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Al gore rants big, Ten cities most vulnerable, Katharine Hayhoe, Christians in Oregon, Yes! 10 Optimism 2021

Mon Feb 27 06:09:05 EST 2023

/*February 27, 2023*/

/[ VP Al Gore lets loose a great rant  - at the World Economic Forum -
video 7 mins]/
*'We Are Still Failing Badly': Al Gore Delivers Fiery Remarks On Climate
Change Dangers*
Forbes Breaking News
41,339 views  Jan 18, 2023
https://youtu.be/4-br-n9xTOc?t=91

/[ check your city on the list from CNBC ]/
*Here are the U.S. cities most vulnerable to climate change, according
to Moody’s*
FEB 24 2023
Emma Newburger
@EMMA_NEWBURGER

    --Climate change poses a significant threat to the economies of U.S.
    cities, with metro areas like San Francisco, New York City and
    Phoenix among the most at risk of sea-level rise, extreme heat and
    water stress, according to a Moody’s Analytics report.

    -- The report calculates its forecasts based on two different risk
    categories — the long-term exposure to drought, extreme heat and
    sea-level rise as well as the short-term exposure to hurricanes,
    wildfires and floods.

    -- “Absent policy changes, large coastal states like California,
    Florida and New York are especially vulnerable, while more inland
    northern economies will emerge only slightly worse off,” wrote Adam
    Kamins, senior director at Moody’s.

The report, which assesses which cities are most vulnerable or resilient
to climate change, calculates its forecasts based on two different risk
categories — the long-term exposure to drought, extreme heat and
sea-level rise, and the short-term exposure to hurricanes, wildfires and
floods.

“Absent policy changes, large coastal states like California, Florida
and New York are especially vulnerable, while more inland northern
economies will emerge only slightly worse off, with a handful of small
metro areas possibly benefiting slightly,” wrote Adam Kamins, senior
director at Moody’s and author of the report.

Among the metro areas that are the worst off are San Francisco,
California; Cape Coral, Florida; New York City, New York; Long Island,
New York; Oakland, California; and Phoenix, Arizona, the report found.

    1 .  San Francisco, Calif.
    2 . Cape Coral, Fla.
    3 .  New York, N.Y.
    4 .  Long Island, N.Y.
    5 .  Oakland, Calif.
    6 .  Phoenix, Ariz.
    7 .  Tucson, Ariz.
    8 . Wilmington, Del.
    9 .  West Palm Beach, Fla.
    10 .  North Port, Fla.

San Francisco is not especially susceptible to any one hazard, but
above-average risk from each category makes it the single-most exposed
large metro area, the report said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/24/us-cities-most-vulnerable-to-climate-change-according-to-moodys.html

/[ emotions are a rational response  ] /
*Katharine Hayhoe in Conversation with Paul Beckwith*
Climate Emergency Forum
Jan 14, 2023
Katharine Hayhoe, who is a Canadian atmospheric scientist, chief
scientist for the Nature Conservancy, and a distinguished professor in
the political science department of Texas Tech University, joins Paul
Beckwith in a discussion that took place at the recent United Nations
CBD-COP15 event in Montréal, Quebec, Canada.
This video was recorded on December 16th, 2022 and published on January
14th, 2022.

*Some of the topics discussed:*
- Climate anxiety and strategies to deal with it and what gives
Katharine cause for hope.
- How we hold the future in our hands and if we allow ourselves to be
overwhelmed on a regular basis such that we don't do anything about the
climate and biodiversity situation, the worst case scenario will happen.
But if we fight with everything we have for that small chance of a
better future, that fight is what will give us that chance.
- The examples from the work of the Nature Conservancy.
- Developments in the measurement of biodiversity through DNA samples
collected from water and on land and its benefits in terms of our
understanding of life on our Planet.
- A very helpful analogy is described of the atmospheric predicament we
face, which was created by our greenhouse gas emissions, and how it
helps to clarify what actions must be taken.
- How the urgency of our situation with respect to climate change
necessitates the need to improve scientific communication in terms of
facilitating access to scientific information in poorer countries who
lack the financial means and how this sharing can provide a catalyst for
change.
- The need to use information from trusted sources, but also who are
telling compelling stories that connect our heads to our hearts, to our
hands.
- How all of us have stories to tell about how climate change is
affecting us if we open our eyes to it.
- And much more
Links:
- Katharine Hayhoe http://www.katharinehayhoe.com/
- The Nature Conservancy https://www.nature.org/en-us/
- Nature United https://www.natureunited.ca/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msgxHtoKYWY

/[ Your Sunday topic from Oregon OPB ]/
*The Christian case for fighting climate change is being tested in
Eastern Oregon*
By Antonio Sierra (OPB)
Feb. 25, 2023
Like many Christian stories, the origin of Climate Vigil began with an
awakening.

Peter Fargo, who founded the group, traces the idea back to the birth of
his son in 2019.

“There was something about that moment with our newborn son that I
needed to get my attention,” he said. “That was when I said yes to that
calling in my heart and soul.”

God was calling Fargo to an uncommon type of missionary work. He left
his job to dedicate himself to fighting climate change full-time. And
from his home in Baker City, Fargo plans to spread his message across
Eastern Oregon.

Science and religion are often depicted as opposing forces in the debate
over climate change, but Fargo isn’t afraid to make an explicitly
Christian argument for environmentalism that he believes can capture
hearts and minds.

In conservative Eastern Oregon, which has been battered by wildfires,
floods and decades of drought, he’s counting on his message being
especially relevant. And researchers are watching Oregon, and rural
America at-large, to see if these types of arguments will break through
in communities where these issues can sometimes carry political baggage.

*Psalms and prayers*
When Fargo thinks about the moral justification for fighting climate
change, he turns to his faith.

He thinks about the Bible’s Book of Psalms: “The earth is the Lord’s and
all that is in the world, and all who live in it.”

For Fargo, there’s something inspiring about thinking of the planet —
the air people breathe, the food they eat, the shelter they take — as
belonging to God. He describes it as an inspiration and a responsibility.

“The beauty and the glory of a mountain landscape of the communities
that are nestled between mountains and valleys here in Eastern Oregon
are just part of God’s creation,” he said. “And we have a part to play
in that.”

This is one of the passages Fargo was wrestling with when his son was
born. Four years prior, he and his family had moved from Colorado to
Baker City, where Fargo worked as a public affairs officer for the U.S.
Forest Service. He had already begun talking about the issue with his
pastor, but something clicked when he looked at his son...
- -
A few years after his son’s birth, Fargo quit the Forest Service to
dedicate himself to Climate Vigil, a religious organization dedicated to
raising awareness and fighting climate change through public events,
media productions, and eventually, political action. He wrote a book
called “A Million Prayers to Solve our Climate Crisis” making a
Christian argument for addressing global warming.

He also tapped into a pre-existing community that recognized an
intersection between Christianity and environmentalism. Fargo worked
with a group of Christian artists to release an album called “Climate
Vigil Songs,” a collection of hymns meant to raise awareness of the
climate crisis in communities less focused on the issue.

Fargo announced the album in Glasgow, Scotland, while he was attending
the United Nations Climate Change Conference. At the 200-year-old St.
George’s Tron Church, he took part in a candlelight vigil for the climate.

As much as he’s worked toward connecting with like-minded people, Fargo
is also trying to persuade fellow Christians to care about climate
change. In the deeply conservative community of Baker City, Fargo said
the conversations he’s had have been productive.

It’s a conversation pastor Wes Sheley was willing to participate in, if
not exactly make his top priority

Sheley has preached all around the country for the past 26 years and is
now the associate pastor at Pendleton First Assembly of God. He said his
congregation has a diverse set of political beliefs and ways of
worshiping, but explicit discussions about the environment aren’t common.

“I wouldn’t say that we have a lot of conversations about the
environment, but we do talk about creation and how God created
everything,” he said.

Sheley agreed that Christians have a duty to take care of the planet,
but added that his work is also concerned with life beyond the “sliver
of time” people had on Earth. Even a long life is temporary, Sheley
said, but eternity is forever.

“God will return someday and restore his creation back to its original
creation,” he said. “We are still mandated as we live here to take care
of His creation, but also take care of our neighbors as well.”

While Fargo views fighting climate change as a struggle to save God’s
creation for future generations, for Sheley, Earth’s ultimate redemption
will arrive in God’s second coming.

*Patriot Planet*
Finding ways to make discussions around climate change more appealing
and less politically fraught in conservative parts of Oregon isn’t
limited to the church.

Less than a half-mile from Interstate 84 and above a vacant mini-mart in
Pendleton, a billboard displays a picture of Earth cradled in a pair of
hands. To the left of the globe and underneath a segment of the American
flag, the billboard blares its message in all capital letters: “FOR GOD,
COUNTRY AND PLANET.”

In a conservative community like Pendleton, the basic message and
presentation doesn’t look that different than the nearby billboard
rented by the anti-abortion group Pendleton Right to Life. But the
purpose becomes much clearer once readers visit the website advertised
on the billboard.

The homepage for Patriot Planet introduces visitors to Western
Washington University journalism professor Derek Moscato, who is
conducting a survey on “environmental protection and green advocacy.”

“This survey is interested in hearing from you about the relationship
between environmentalism, patriotism, and faith, particularly as they
relate to bipartisanship in rural and nonurban regions of the U.S.,” the
website states.

Survey takers are asked whether they agree with statements like,
“Protecting the environment is a patriotic duty — we all have a role to
play” and “I am willing to come together with Americans of all faiths to
protect the environment.” It also asks them to rate the quality of the
billboard’s slogan, a message meant to convey “patriotism, faith and
protecting the environment.”

In an interview, Moscato said he’s studied previous environmental
campaigns like “Clearcut Oregon,” a series of billboards from
environmental group Oregon Wild, which spotlighted the timber industry’s
clearcutting practices. Moscato decided to put together his own
billboard messages to see if this type of campaigning could not only
attract attention in Eastern Oregon, but also persuade.

Moscato chose Pendleton to pilot the study because it met the
requirements for the type of community he wanted to study.

“It’s a community that really connects to a lot of rural issues (and)
has sort of a great tradition of farming, agriculture, natural
resources. So it hits a lot of those issues that a lot of communities in
the inland Northwest or the Pacific Northwest are contending with when
it comes to that interplay of rural issues and environmental issues.”

The professor said the website hasn’t collected enough data yet to reach
any statistical conclusions, but some of the early returns show
residents are interested in issues like sustainability, wildlife
conservation and clean air. Survey respondents also said they wanted
more attention from the urban part of the state.

“I think one of the ways to really get at ecological protection across
the board is to take down those partisan barriers and to really drive
these issues at the local and hyperlocal level,” Moscato said.

He said he doesn’t expect the billboard to stay up much longer, but his
long-term goal is to expand the billboards across the rural Northwest
and into the Great Plains...
- -
*The climate, Christians and rural America*
Pro-environment stances aren’t uncommon in religious and spiritual
traditions outside Christianity. When the Episcopal Diocese of Eastern
Oregon turned over stewardship of some land in Union County to tribal
members from the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation,
their conservation work was guided by the tribes’ creation story, which
places water at the center.

Research on Christians’ relationship with environmentalism has produced
mixed results. Early studies suggested Christians followed the idea of
“dominion over nature,” meaning God created the Earth explicitly to
serve mankind. More recent studies have shown a “greening of
Christianity’' as adherents have become more environmentally aware over
time. But a 2017 study pushed back against this trend, stating that the
data showed little evidence Christians were more concerned about the
environment than in decades past and may actually be less.

Journalist Meera Subramanian found conflicting thoughts on climate and
the environment from Christians through her own work as a freelance
reporter. Subramanian went on to co-found the Religion & Environment
Story Project, a group focused on the intersections between religion and
the environment.

Following the 2016 presidential election, Subramanian traveled through
the rural U.S. to gather environmental viewpoints from conservative
communities, places at the “frontlines of the climate crisis,” as a part
of a series of stories she wrote for Inside Climate News.

Her stops included Wheaton College, an Evangelical liberal arts college
in Illinois, where students openly supported action against climate
change but also found themselves as awkward fits in the political
landscape. In rural West Virginia, a deadly flood killed eight people in
a small town, but some residents more easily understood the storm as a
sign of biblical revelation than an indicator of climate change.

“There’s all these gradations,” she said. “I think that’s where we
really need to recognize that white evangelicals – who often the
conversation revolves around when talking about resistance to climate
action in this country – that there’s a whole spectrum of responses that
can happen.”

*Turning words into action*
In a country where politics and religion were traditionally considered
taboo subjects for polite conversation, Fargo has noticed that talks
about climate change can also be considered uncomfortable and impolite.

It’s something he wants to change by making an argument that could
appeal to Eastern Oregonian’s politically conservative side: In a region
that’s seen some of its hottest years on record over the past decade,
action is needed to protect farming, fishing, hunting and the rural way
of life.

“It’s one thing to acknowledge that intellectually, and to see it on a
piece of paper or projected up on a slide,” he said. “It’s another thing
to have a conversation about that and what it means for us as a community.”

Quitting full-time work to pursue a life of climate activism hasn’t come
without its life changes.

Fargo said Climate Vigil is operating on a “song and a prayer,” and is
being supported by his family’s savings. The organization is also
getting help from his church, the First Presbyterian Church, and the
body that oversees it, the Presbytery of Eastern Oregon.

Fargo’s early work took on a wide focus but a grant he’s getting from
the church will help him hone in on Eastern Oregon this year.

He’s planning a series of Climate Vigil events, not only close to home
in Baker City, but also in La Grande and Pendleton. Fargo will bring his
Christian perspective to the events but said he wants them to be open to
all people regardless of their faith.

He will also be working with other groups to look ahead to November
2024, when they want to put a measure on the ballot codifying the right
to a safe climate in the Oregon Constitution. Supporters expect this
ballot measure would legally compel the state to reach “net zero” –
establishing a balance between emitting the greenhouse gasses warming
the atmosphere and those being taken out – by 2050. That target would
align Oregon with the standard set by the United Nations and would up
the ambition compared to the previous climate goals set by the state.

“When we think about the Declaration of Independence, many of us think
about the unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of
happiness,” Fargo said. “To have life, liberty and the pursuit of
happiness, we’re going to need a safe, stable climate (and) temperatures
within a range that we’ve enjoyed as humans, as communities, since we
planted the first seed in the first farm.”

Fargo said the exact language of the measure is still “under
construction” but he thinks it could be a model for states across the
country regardless of a person’s political or religious beliefs, should
it pass.

The ambitions are large, but Fargo needed both the science and his
religion to push him forward.

“We have scientific, engineering, economic, political challenges that
we’re all wrestling with,” he said. “But unless I can get out of my head
and access the power of the heart, there’s not enough motivation for me
to respond, to change, to do what I can do.”

https://www.opb.org/article/2023/02/25/testing-christian-case-for-fighting-climate-change-eastern-oregon/

/[  A classic from 2 years ago -- YES! magazine's generalizations seem
valid still ] /
*10 Reasons to be Optimistic (Without Being Naive) About Climate Change*
These are dark times, but hope is not lost nor foolish, and change has
already begun.
BY JEFF GOODELL
NOV 5, 2021
The 26th U.N. Climate Change Conference got underway in Glasgow this
week, and it already looks like a slow-motion train wreck. The leaders
of three of the biggest polluting nations—Russia, Brazil, and
China—aren’t there. The national pledges that have already been made to
cut emissions won’t be met—and even if they were, they aren’t enough to
avoid catastrophic warming. Rich nations of the world are woefully
behind in their commitment to pay $100 billion a year into the Green
Climate Fund to help poor nations adapt to climate impacts and
transition to clean energy. The conference runs through Nov. 12 and new
deals and commitments will emerge. But right now, given the scale of the
crisis we face, signs of urgency, ambition, and leadership are hard to find.

As Rob Larter, a scientist with the British Antarctic Survey, put it in
a tweet: “I think that in the main what’s going on is a lot of
politicians from many countries are trying to work out how they can come
out of it looking good without really committing themselves to doing much.”

But the climate fight is a big and complex war that’s being carried out
on many fronts.  Even for experienced climate warriors, it’s hard to
keep the whole picture in your head at once.  The apathy and
self-dealing in Glasgow are obvious.  What’s less obvious are signs of
real progress.

    Here are ten reasons for optimism:
    *1. The worst-case scenarios for climate warming have so far been
    averted.* It’s often argued that the nearly 30 years of climate
    talks since the Rio Earth Summit in 1992 have led to nothing. But
    that’s not true.  A decade ago, we were heading for a world 4°C (or
    more) warmer by 2100, which would have been catastrophic for life as
    we know it. But now, with the policies that are already in place,
    we’re heading for just under 3°C, perhaps a little lower. With the
    official pledges updated last month—if successfully translated into
    effective policies—we would limit warming to around 2.5°C. And since
    then, another 25 countries have updated their pledges. 2.5 C of
    warming is still horrific, but it’s far less horrific than 4 C.

    *2. The price of clean energy is falling fast. *A decade ago, the
    virtue of coal was that it was cheap and plentiful. No more.
    Utility-scale solar power declined in cost by 90% between 2009 and
    2021. The cost of onshore wind power declined by 70% over the same
    period. Even in Big Coal states like Ohio, electricity from solar
    power will overtake coal by the end of the decade.

    *3. The Age of Accountability for Big Oil has begun.* Last week, the
    U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Reform grilled Big Oil CEOs
    for knowingly spreading lies about the risks of climate change.
    Republicans on the committee, led by James Comer of Kentucky,
    trotted out 30-year-old myths about energy independence and how
    fossil fuels are the elixir of working families. But Democrats were
    merciless. Kati Porter of California used M&Ms and bags of rice to
    make a point about how much land the oil companies have tied up in
    land leases. New York’s Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was typically sharp
    about the dangers of life in a rapidly warming world: “Some of us
    have to actually live the future that you all are setting on fire
    for us.” The CEOs squirmed, fidgeted, and blustered. Maybe it was
    all theater. Or maybe it was a foreshadowing of climate
    accountability to come.

    *4. President Biden’s climate agenda is big, smart, and serious*.
    It’s been downsized and cut up. It’s been ransacked and shanghaied
    by West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin. But Biden’s Build Back Better
    Act, which includes $500 billion for climate funding, would still be
    the biggest investment in clean energy and climate adaptation the
    U.S. has ever made. It includes investments for virtually every
    aspect of the economy, from clean energy transmission and storage to
    tax credits for electric vehicles and the production of low-carbon
    steel.  Can Biden get it through congress?  That remains to be seen,
    especially after the drubbing Democrats took in this week’s
    elections.  The good news is that the U.S. is pressing forward on
    other fronts, including new rules to limit methane emissions, a
    potent greenhouse gas. Thanks in part to a big push from the U.S.,
    more than 100 nations signed a Global Methane Pledge in Glasgow,
    vowing to cut methane emissions by 30% by 2030.

    *5. Scientists are getting their game on.* Michael Mann, Katharine
    Hayhoe, Gavin Schmidt, Andrea Dutton and Andrew Dessler are all top
    climate scientists who have a knack for calling out bullshit when
    they see it. And they’re calling it out more and more. Mann has been
    particularly aggressive. “Look no further than Australia, a country
    that deserves better than the feckless coalition government that
    currently reigns,” he wrote in The Los Angeles Times last week. As
    Mann points out, Australia’s commitment to reduce carbon emissions
    by 26% to 28% by 2030 is half what other industrialized nations such
    as the U.S. and the European Union have committed to. Mann also
    roasted Saudi Arabia and Russia for making a mockery of the Glasgow
    negotiations by agreeing to “a laughably delinquent” date of 2060
    for reaching net zero emissions.

    *6. The fossil fuel divestment movement is snowballing. *As activist
    and writer Bill McKibben noted in The New York Times last week, $40
    trillion in endowments and portfolios has vowed to abstain from
    investing in coal and gas and oil. “That’s bigger than the GDP of
    China and the U.S. combined,” McKibben wrote.  There is still a lot
    of money sloshing around out there for fossil fuel development, but
    slowing the flow from the spigot sends a powerful signal. Here’s one
    sign of how well divestment campaigns are working: the West Virginia
    Coal Association called divestment “the dumbest movement in history.”

    *7. Increased focus on the link between the climate crisis and
    public health*. A rapidly warming world, researchers wrote in The
    Lancet, a prestigious British medical journal, is exposing humans to
    searing heat and extreme weather events; increasing the transmission
    of infectious diseases; exacerbating food, water and financial
    insecurity; endangering sustainable development; and worsening
    global inequality. “Health is the vector for climate action,” Johan
    Rockstrom, the director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact
    Research, said in Glasgow. “It is what people care about, and what
    motivates them to take action.”

    *8. The war on coal is getting serious. *China has vowed to stop
    funding new coal plants abroad. Billionaire Michael Bloomberg just
    launched a new crusade to shut down coal plants in 25 countries.
    Bloomberg has already waged war against coal in the US, helping to
    shut down 280 plants. Coal’s demise can’t happen fast enough, but it
    is happening.

    *9. Climate justice takes center stage.* What do the rich polluters
    owe the poor who are suffering the worst climate impacts?  This has
    always been an issue at previous climate talks. In Glasgow, it’s the
    issue. And climate justice leaders, who see their very existence at
    stake in these negotiations, are in no mood to play footsie with the
    leaders of rich nations. As Fiji’s Prime Minister, Voreqe
    Bainimarama put it: “We Pacific nations have not travelled to the
    other end of the world to watch our future to be sacrificed at the
    altar of appeasement of the world’s worst emitters.”

    *10. Writers and artists are finding their voices. *“Nothing will be
    saved without you.”  That’s the first line of a poem by Yrsa
    Daley-Ward, a writer of mixed Nigeria-Jamaican heritage, which she
    read in the opening ceremony in Glasgow. If there’s a better
    one-sentence call to action for the climate movement, I haven’t
    heard it.

https://www.yesmagazine.org/environment/2021/11/05/climate-change-optimism

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*February 27, 2009*/
February 27, 2009: MSNBC's Keith Olbermann leaves some clean coal in Fox
News Channel host Glenn Beck's stocking:

    "The runner-up, Glenn Beck.  We all laughed the first time he
    attacked the carbon capture projects in the stimulus package,
    branding them 'earmarks,' and saying, 'I don‘t even know what the
    hell that is.'  But he's done it again, derisively saying: 'The
    spending bill, 'clean' of earmarks, has $800 million for carbon
    capture projects.'

    "Glenn, carbon capture projects...that‘s clean coal technology.
    Last June, you claimed that Democrats, 'controlled by the radical
    environmental special interest groups,' were blocking clean coal
    technology.  You support clean coal technology, nit wit!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUdgQXOwCLQ

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli