[✔️] January 3, 2023- Global Warming News Digest

Tue Jan 3 07:52:31 EST 2023

/*January 3, 2023*/

/[ shift in activist tactics ]/
*Extinction Rebellion announces move away from disruptive tactics*
Climate protest group says temporary shift will ‘prioritise
relationships over roadblocks’
Robert Booth Social affairs correspondent
The climate protest group Extinction Rebellion is shifting tactics from
disruptions such as smashing windows and glueing themselves to public
places in 2023, it has announced.

A new year resolution to “prioritise attendance over arrest and
relationships over roadblocks”, was spelled out in a 1 January statement
titled “We quit”, which said “constantly evolving tactics is a necessary
approach”.

The group admitted the move would be controversial. Other environmental
protest groups, such as Just Stop Oil, have stepped up direct actions,
notably throwing paint at art masterpieces...- -
- -
Meanwhile, dire warnings about global heating continue: 2022 was the
warmest on record in the UK, the Met Office has said, and the 10 warmest
years on record have all occurred since 2003. The UN secretary general,
António Guterres, has warned: “We are headed for economy-destroying
levels of global heating.”

XR is calling for 100,000 people to “leave the locks, glue and paint
behind” and surround the Houses of Parliament on 21 April.

“What’s needed now most is to disrupt the abuse of power and imbalance,
to bring about a transition to a fair society that works together to end
the fossil-fuel era,” the XR statement read. “Our politicians, addicted
to greed and bloated on profits, won’t do it without pressure.”...
The government has said that “over recent years, guerrilla tactics used
by a small minority of protesters have caused a disproportionate impact
on the hard-working majority seeking to go about their everyday lives,
cost millions in taxpayers’ money and put lives at risk”.

XR also called for greater collaboration between different protest
groups while admitting this may be “uncomfortable or difficult”.

“The conditions for change in the UK have never been more favourable –
it’s time to seize the moment,” it said. “The confluence of multiple
crises presents us with a unique opportunity to mobilise and move beyond
traditional divides.

“No one can do this alone, and it’s the responsibility of all of us, not
just one group … As our rights are stripped away and those speaking out
and most at risk are silenced, we must find common ground and unite to
survive.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/01/extinction-rebellion-announces-move-away-from-disruptive-tactics

/- -/

/[ New activist organizations take over ]/
*Insulate Britain and Just Stop Oil vow to continue disruptive action*
Commitment to ‘civil resistance’ comes after Extinction Rebellion said
it would prioritise ‘relationships over roadblocks’
Damien Gayle
Mon 2 Jan 2023
Insulate Britain and Just Stop Oil have doubled down on their commitment
to disruptive climate “civil resistance” after Extinction Rebellion
announced new tactics prioritising “relationships over roadblocks”.

“It’s 2023 and XR has quit,” Just Stop Oil said in a statement. “But
it’s 2023, and we are barrelling down the highway to the loss of ordered
civil society, as extreme weather impacts tens of millions, as our
country becomes unrecognisable … there is now a need to face reality.

“We must move from disobedience into civil resistance – this is what the
nurses and paramedics are doing. They are on the frontline of the harm
being wreaked on us and have said no more.”
Insulate Britain said its supporters remained prepared to go to prison.
“Insulate Britain supporters remain committed to civil resistance as the
only appropriate and effective response to the reality of our situation
in 2023,” its statement said.

“In the UK right now, nurses, ambulance drivers and railway workers are
on strike because they understand that public disruption is vital to
demand changes that governments are not willing or are too scared to
address.”...
- -
One activist who has campaigned with both XR and Just Stop Oil said he
was conflicted about XR’s announcement, which may attract more
supporters but at the risk of effectiveness. “My concern is our lack of
time,” he said. “If we don’t actively, noisily push for change now,
later may prove way too late to save anything.

Another said it appeared XR was repositioning itself as a more moderate
group, as flank groups such as Just Stop Oil monopolised and radicalised
more extreme direct actions.

James Ozden, the director of Social Change Lab, said XR’s repositioning
could allow it to take advantage of awareness raised by radical
protests, without being implicated in their unpopularity. “As Just Stop
Oil continues to organise more disruptive protests, it’s likely we’ll
see a radical flank effect, whereby radical tactics increase support for
more moderate groups, such as Extinction Rebellion.

“This synergistic relationship is likely to benefit the overall climate
movement, as people can join groups that appeal most to them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/02/insulate-britain-and-just-stop-oil-vow-to-continue-disruptive-action

/[ 48Hills news]/
*Is SF ready for climate change? A flooded city seemed unprepared*
Why did city officials wait until the intersections were impassible to
put out warnings and close streets?
By TIM REDMOND
JANUARY 1, 2023
San Francisco has a detailed climate change and resilience plan. Local
officials know that it will take hundreds of millions of dollars to
prepare for what is now inevitable.

We got just a tiny taste of it this weekend—and the city seemed pretty
badly unprepared.

I was out in the torrential rain, riding in a cab along Cesar Chavez
Street; a bad idea in retrospect, but when we left home it seemed fine.
It was raining hard, but whatever; we had raincoats, and the driver was
happy to pick us up and head toward King Street.
Then, in a ten-minute ride, I saw freeway intersections completely
flooded and cars inundated. At the Pennsylvania Street intersection,
cars were plowing, sometimes without success, through two feet or more
of water. When we got to Illinois, another flood put the cab under; the
driver was able to make it half a block to higher ground, and we were
all fine (just a bit wet as we walked to the T-Third) but his Prius was
shot.

Six hours later, I got an email from Sup. Shamann Walton telling me to
stay home because the roads weren’t safe. That’s the only message I got
from any city agency warning about road conditions (and I am on
everyone’s email list). (Sup. Catherine Stefani went to twitter to urge
us all to clean out our storm drains.)...
- -
Why didn’t the cab companies or Uber or Lyft, which are so tech-wired,
warn their drivers to stay out of low-lying areas?
https://48hills.org/2023/01/is-sf-ready-for-climate-change-a-flooded-city-seemed-unprepared/

[ DW news is based in Germany ]
*How can we stop the super-rich from polluting the planet?*
Ajit Niranjan
Jan 2, 2023
 From Roman Abramovich's yacht and Taylor Swift's private jet to the
sprawling warehouses of Jeff Bezos' Amazon, the lifestyles and business
interests of billionaires are baking the planet.
The fury came fast when makeup mogul Kylie Jenner posted a photograph
last July of her and her boyfriend Travis Scott flanked by two private
jets and captioned "you wanna take mine or yours?"

"Europe is on fire, meanwhile Kylie Jenner is taking 15-minute trips in
her private jet," wrote eating disorder campaigner Cara Lisette in just
one of the many viral tweets about Jenner's post. "I could recycle
everything, buy all my clothes second hand, compost and grow my own food
for the rest of my life and it wouldn't even begin to offset the
footprint from one of her flights."

Jenner's Instagram post brought to the surface some of the resentment
brewing among young people in rich countries who feel pressured to cut
their carbon footprints. It showed the disconnect between the world's
biggest polluters and a generation terrified by climate change, angry
about injustice and reluctant to give up the unsustainable parts of
their own lifestyles.

"This is literally why I stopped trying," wrote one 24-year-old Twitter
user.
- -
Recently, private jets owned by celebrities like Taylor Swift and Kim
Kardashian have flown distances that could have been driven in a few
hours. Their journeys spewed more carbon dioxide in a matter of minutes
than the average Indian emits in a year. Flight data shows that one
night in early December, the private jets of Kylie Jenner and Travis
Scott took the same journey, landing at Van Nuys airport in California,
US, just 5 hours apart.

Even then, celebrity emissions in the air are a fraction of those at
sea. Mega yachts — like Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich's
162-meter-long boat that comes with two helipads and a swimming pool —
emit several times more CO2 than most mansions, planes and limousines
combined. A study published in 2021 estimated that Abramovich's yacht
emitted more carbon dioxide in 2018 than Tuvalu, a pacific island nation
of 11,000 people.

"This is particularly sad," said Beatriz Barros, a researcher at the
University of Indiana who led the study, "because the island nations are
also the ones who are more at risk of consequences of climate change
like rising sea levels."
- -
*'Ridiculous' levels of carbon pollution*
The biggest inequalities in carbon emissions have for decades been
between rich and poor countries. Now, inequalities within countries
explain more of the gap between clean and dirty lifestyles. The top 1%
of global earners — somebody earning a yearly salary of about €124,000
($132,000) — are responsible for one-fifth of the growth in carbon
pollution in the last 30 years. They live in cities from Miami to Mumbai.

"The top 1% use basically a similar amount to the bottom 50% of humanity
— and so obviously that, just in terms of scale, is a ridiculous
proportion of the carbon budget," said Anisha Nazareth, a scientist at
the Stockholm Environment Institute studying emissions inequality.

People who fall into that top income bracket do not lead the lavish
lifestyles of billionaires. But while private jets and mega yachts are
on the extreme end of the scale, cruise ships and commercial passenger
planes are close behind.
- -
Flying, for instance, is one of the most polluting activities in the
world. Though aviation makes up about 3% of global carbon dioxide
emissions, it is the biggest source of pollution for those who fly.
Experts estimate just 2-4% of the global population gets onto a plane
each year.

In the same way billionaires burn more fossil fuels than almost anyone
else, "there are people in the world who would rightly see us in the
same relative light," said Ketan Joshi, an independent writer and
consultant on clean energy, referring to middle-class people in rich
countries. "You are someone's Kylie Jenner."

*'Surprising support' for wealthy lifestyles*
Researchers have explored ways to fix this. By raising taxes, closing
legal loopholes and cracking down on tax havens, policymakers could stop
the wealthiest funding the carbon-intensive excesses of their lavish
lifestyles. It would also free up more money to invest in clean energy
infrastructure needed to stop the planet heating.

But policies to raise taxes often face fierce opposition — even from
those who would benefit from them. "In reality, we see a surprising
support of the lifestyles of the very wealthy," said Stefan Gössling, a
professor at Lund University in Sweden who has studied inequalities in
flight emissions. People brought up in cultures that idolize the rich
often oppose policies to restrict their lives.
- -
The burden of a flight tax, for instance, would mainly hit richer people
— particularly business travelers. In the EU, half the spending on air
travel comes from the richest 20%. In the US and Canada, the 19% of
adults who take more than four flights a year account for 79% of the
flights. Some scientists and politicians have called for a frequent
flyer levy, where each extra flight a person takes carries a higher cost.

These inequalities mean policies to tax flights could generate vital
revenue from those most able to pay. A study published in October by the
International Council on Clean Transport, an environmental think tank,
found that a global frequent flyer levy could generate the $121 billion
needed in investments each year to decarbonize aviation through 2050.
Frequent fliers who take more than six flights per year — and make up
just 2% of the population — would pay 81% of it.

Policymakers could also curb emissions from the very richest by banning
private jets that run on kerosene. Such a ban would hit only a small
percentage of flights but could push billionaires with cash to spare to
invest in clean technologies that are needed for greener ways of flying.
Experts say early investments like this would help advance sustainable
aviation fuels and electric flights for everybody, scaling them up
sooner and bringing costs down faster.

Researchers also stress that the top 1% of earners — and even the top
10% making €37,200 a year — should not limit climate action to what they
purchase.
- -
A study published in the journal Nature in 2021 found rich people have a
major role in slowing climate change as consumers, investors, role
models, organizational participants and citizens. That could mean taking
savings out of banks that lend to fossil fuel companies, campaigning for
public transport at a local council meeting, or pressuring their company
management to replace business flights with virtual meetings.

"If these people in the top tier of society, measured in income and
influence, actively went for this, we would see changes happening much
quicker than what we see today," said Kristian Nielsen, a climate
scientist and lead author of the study. "This is not available to the
average person."

But it also works the other way. Some of the world's richest people and
companies have poured money into lobbying against policies that threaten
fossil fuels. For the richest, said Nazareth from the Stockholm
Environment Institute, "a bigger problem is really the way they exert
political influence through campaign donations — and influence in
general on the lifestyles of everybody else."
https://www.dw.com/en/rich-people-billionaires-emissions/a-64146449

/[  in the Kansas City Star,  - text and audio ] /
*Is climate change linked to gun violence? A new study shows how KC area
is impacted *
BY KATIE MOORE
JANUARY 2, 2023
On the hottest day of 2022 in Kansas City, three people were shot and
killed. Three more were shot and survived, the Kansas City Police
Department said. The temperature clocked in at 101 degrees on July 23,
according to Jared Leighton, a lead forecaster with the National Weather
Service in Kansas City. With 171 homicides, this year became the second
deadliest on record in Kansas City — and some of those fatal shootings
may be linked to an unexpected cause: climate change...
- -
Researchers analyzed more than 116,000 shootings in 100 cities and found
that nearly 7% could be attributed to days with above-average
temperatures, not only in the summer, but also at other times of the
year when it was unseasonably warm. In Kansas City, Missouri, the
percentage of shootings tied to days with above-average temperatures was
6.13%, while in Kansas City, Kansas, it was 7.86%, according to the
study published last month in the Journal of the American Medical
Association.
- -
Dr. Marvia Jones, director of the Kansas City Health Department, said
the study’s findings aren’t surprising, but do “gives us a little bit
more of a guide, I would say as to how we need to align our efforts.”
She reiterated the importance of trees, calling it a “dual purpose
intervention.” The health department and other local organizations are
also working together to get an early start on programming for young
people to ensure they “have access to positive things to do over the
summer,” Jones said, adding that efforts are focused on underserved
areas. Eighteen of the 2022 homicide victims in Kansas City were 18
years or younger and several juveniles were arrested in connection with
murders this year in the metro.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article270358682.html

- -

/[ Oh it could be any city - says Journal of the American Medical Society ]/
*Analysis of Daily Ambient Temperature and Firearm Violence in 100 US
Cities*
December 16, 2022
Vivian H. Lyons, PhD, MPH1,2; Emma L. Gause, MS, MA3,4; Keith R.
Spangler, PhD, ScM4; et alGregory A. Wellenius, ScD, MSc4; Jonathan Jay,
DrPH, JD5
JAMA Netw Open. 2022;5(12):e2247207. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.47207
*Key Points*

    *Question*  Are higher temperatures associated with increased risk
    of a firearm shooting?

    *Findings * In this cross-sectional analysis of the 100 cities with
    largest burden of firearm shootings in the US, 6.85% of all
    shootings were associated with above-average temperatures.

    *Meaning*  These findings indicate a need for heat adaptation
    strategies for mitigation of risk of firearm shootings.

*Abstract*
Importance  Firearm violence is a leading public health crisis in the
US. Understanding whether and how ambient temperature is associated with
firearm violence may identify new avenues for prevention and intervention.

Objective  To estimate the overall and regional association between
hotter temperatures and higher risk of firearm violence in the US.

Design, Setting, and Participants  This cross-sectional study used
distributed lag nonlinear models, controlling for seasonality and
long-term time trends by city and pooled results overall and by climate
region. The most populous cities in the US with the highest number of
assault-related firearm incidence (ie, shootings) from 2015 to 2020 were
analyzed. Data analysis was performed from October 2021 to June 2022.
Exposures  Maximum daily temperature by city.

*Main Outcomes and Measures *The primary outcome was the number of
assault-related firearm shootings by city.

Results  A total of 116 511 shootings in 100 cities were included in
this analysis. The pooled analysis estimated that 6.85% (95% CI,
6.09%-7.46%) of all shootings were attributable to days hotter than
city-specific median temperatures. This equates to 7973 total shootings
(95% CI, 7092-8688 total shootings) across the 100 cities over the
6-year study period, although the number of total persons injured or
killed would be higher. Estimated risk of firearm incidents increased
almost monotonically with higher temperatures, with a local peak at the
84th percentile of the temperature range corresponding to a relative
risk of 1.17 (95% CI, 1.12-1.21) compared with the median temperature.
However, even moderately hot temperatures were associated with higher
risk of shootings. Although significant, there was low heterogeneity
between cities (I2 = 11.7%; Cochran Q test, P = .02), indicating
regional or climate-specific variation in the daily temperature and
incident shootings relationship.

*Conclusions and Relevance * These findings underscore the importance of
heat adaptation strategies broadly throughout the year to reduce
shootings, rather than focusing on only the hottest days...
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2799635?resultClick=1

/[ Says the website OilPrice.com   ]/
*The Oil Market Crisis Sparked By Russia’s Invasion Is Nearing Its End*
By Alex Kimani - Jan 02, 2023
-- Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sparked a major market crisis, sending
oil and gas prices to multi-decade highs and causing the Euro to crash
below parity with the dollar.
-- Today, energy prices have fallen back to pre-war levels, driven lower
by fears of a global recession and weak oil demand in China due to Covid
outbreaks.
-- Analysts remain divided regarding oil prices in 2023 however, with
some analysts believing the return of China and the lack of Russian
energy will send prices soaring.
- -
*Analysts Are All Over the Place*
In this market, however, there are just as many bulls as bears, and the
handle on the future is slippery, at best.

Some predict that global oil demand could soar as much as 4% in the
coming year if the world manages to fully emerge from Covid restrictions.

Hedge fund trader Pierre Andurand has told Bloomberg that oil demand may
increase by 3 million to 4 million barrels a day in 2023 helped by a
switch to oil from gas.

Likewise, some analysts believe that many of the headwinds that have cut
short the oil price rally this year, including China’s zero-Covid policy
and the coordinated SPR releases by several governments, will no longer
be there in 2023. Coupled with sanctions on Russia’s oil and gas, this
should elevate oil prices. He has also predicted that the energy sector
will continue to outperform other market sectors due to the high demand
for oil and gas stocks.
By Alex Kimani for Oilprice.com
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Oil-Market-Crisis-Sparked-By-Russias-Invasion-Is-Nearing-Its-End.html

/[The news archive - looking back at when the Republican party "stepped
off the cliff" ]/
/*January 3, 2011*/
January 3, 2011: Steve Benen of the Washington Monthly notes that
Republican presidential candidates who now try to deny the existence of
human-caused climate change will have to figure out a way to rewrite
history:

    January 3, 2011
    THE NEW LITMUS TEST.... A whole host of Republicans will launch
    their presidential campaigns fairly soon, and they'll do so knowing
    that the party's voters have a variety of litmus tests in mind.

    For example, if a candidate supports abortion rights, there's no
    real point in even trying to win the nomination. If he or she
    believes someone, at some point, might need to see a tax increase by
    some amount, he or she will almost certainly lose. GOP presidential
    hopefuls who are respectful of gay rights should expect to do very
    poorly.

    And in advance of 2012, it's probably time to add a new issue to the
    list of litmus tests: only climate deniers need apply. The
    Republican tent, apparently, is only big enough to hold
    anti-science, anti-evidence leaders.

    For some very likely presidential candidates, that's a real problem.

        It may be heresy to conservatives, but a trip down memory lane
        shows nearly all of the top-tier Republican presidential
        contenders want to save the planet from global warming.

        On the campaign stump, in books, speeches and
        nationally-televised commercials, aspiring GOP White House
        candidates such as Tim Pawlenty, Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney
        have warned in recent years about the threats from climate
        change and pledged to limit greenhouse gases. Some have even
        committed the ultimate sin, endorsing the controversial
        cap-and-trade concept that was eventually branded "cap and tax."

        Now, as they prepare for a wide-open primary season, many of the
        Republicans are searching for ways to explain themselves to a
        conservative voting base full of hungry tea party activists and
        climate skeptics who don't take kindly to environmental issues
        so closely linked with Al Gore.

        "They're in an odd place," Grover Norquist, president of
        Americans for Tax Reform, told POLITICO. "They better have an
        explanation, an excuse or a mea culpa for why this won't happen
        again."

    Yes, in Republican circles in 2011, those who don't reject the
    scientific consensus on the climate crisis will be rejected out of
    hand. Those who've been even somewhat reasonable on the issue in
    recent years should expect to grovel shamelessly -- a trait that's
    always attractive in presidential candidates.

    The number of likely GOP candidates who've actually said out loud
    that the planet is warming and that human activity is responsible
    is, oddly enough, larger than the number of consistent climate
    deniers. Sarah Palin has said pollution contributes to global
    warming and "we've got to do something about it." Romney has said he
    believes the planet is warming and at least used to support
    cap-and-trade. Huckabee and Pawlenty have backed cap-and-trade --
    which was, originally, a Republican idea, by the way -- in recent
    years. Even Newt Gingrich used to demand "action to address climate
    change," and participated briefly with Al Gore's Repower America
    campaign.

    This wasn't a problem up until very recently. John McCain's 2008
    presidential platform not only acknowledged climate change, it
    included a call for a cap-and-trade plan -- and he won the
    nomination fairly easily. As recently as 2006, rank-and-file
    Republican voters, by and large, believed what the mainstream
    believed when it came to climate science: global warming is real,
    it's a problem, and it requires attention.

    But that was before the GOP fell off the right-wing cliff. Now every
    Republican who was even remotely sensible on this "better have an
    explanation, an excuse or a mea culpa for why this won't happen again."

    —Steve Benen

/[
https://web.archive.org/web/20110106033122/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2011_01/027356.php/

        /[ Archived comment from Jan 3, 2011:]/

        I have believed that the repuke party, in its current existence,
        CAN ONLY nominate an insane person or a totally obvious liar in
        2012.

        In other than the reddest of red states, there will not be
        enough crazies to carry their state for the crazy who will be
        nominated by the repukes. Hell, in 2008 even in this f*cked up
        state of Indiana the idiots realized how horrible a McCrap/Palin
        election would be! The 2012 repuke ticket will be even crazier.

        Which is why Obama will get reelected and progressives actually
        have a chance against Citizens United Not Timid vs FEC money!

        I just hope that the dumbocrap party does not become the
        repuke-lite/DLC/DINO party for all nominations to congressional
        and senate seats./

        Posted by: HappyOldVet on January 3, 2011 at 2:14 PM | PERMALINK

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli