[✔️] January 5, 2023- Global Warming News Digest - storms, overshoot, time,

Thu Jan 5 08:49:03 EST 2023

/*January 5, 2023*/

/[ California deluges ]/
*How Climate Change Is Shaping California’s Winter Storms*
So far, the downpours are largely in line with past storms, an official
said. But their quick pace is testing the limits of the state’s
infrastructure.
By Raymond Zhong
Published Jan. 3, 2023...
- -
Michael Anderson, California’s state climatologist. “This is where we’re
getting hit this year: We’re seeing a lot of big storms fairly quickly.”
- -
Scientists are also studying whether global warming might be shifting
the way winds carry moisture around the atmosphere, potentially
influencing the number of atmospheric rivers that sweep through
California each year and how long they last. They have not yet come to
firm conclusions on these questions, though.
“The dominant thing that’s happening is just that, in a warmer
atmosphere, there’s exponentially more potential for it to hold water
vapor,” said Daniel L. Swain, a climate scientist at the University of
California, Los Angeles. “And that exerts a really profound influence on
things.”
- -
It is still unclear how global warming might be affecting the likelihood
for atmospheric rivers to crash into California in rapid-fire clusters.
Another study last year found that in nearly four out of five years
between 1981 and 2019, half or more of all atmospheric rivers that
affected the state were part of an atmospheric river “family,” or a
rapid parade of storms...
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/03/climate/california-flood-atmospheric-river.html

/[ time and political structures of our predicament ]/
*How our perception of time shapes our approach to climate change*
January 4, 2023
REBECCA HERSHER...

- -

Most people are focused on the present: today, tomorrow, maybe next
year. Fixing your flat tire is more pressing than figuring out if you
should use an electric car. Living by the beach is a lot more fun than
figuring out when your house will be underwater because of sea level rise.

That basic human relationship with time makes climate change a tricky
problem.

"I consider climate change the policy problem from hell because you
almost couldn't design a worse fit for our underlying psychology, or our
institutions of decision-making," says Anthony Leiserowitz, the director
of the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication.

*Our obsession with the present obscures the future*
Those institutions — including companies and governments that ultimately
have the power to dramatically reduce greenhouse gas emissions — can be
even more obsessed with the present than individuals are.

For example, says Leiserowitz, many companies are focused on quarterly
earnings and growth. That helps drive short-term behavior, such as
leasing new land to drill for fossil fuels, that makes long-term climate
change worse.
And there are also big incentives for political leaders to think
short-term. "The President gets elected every four years. Members of the
Senate get elected every six years. And members of the House get elected
every two years," Leiserowitz points out, "so they tend to operate on a
much shorter time cycle than this problem, climate change, which is
unfolding over decades."
There are deadlines looming for those elected leaders. The Biden
administration pledged to cut emissions in half by 2030. By 2050, humans
need to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions entirely in order to avoid
the most catastrophic effects of climate change later this century.

Fortunately, our collective focus on the present also offers hints,
psychologists say, about how to harness that hyperfocus on the present
to inspire action.

*To spur action, speed up the psychological rewards for addressing
climate change now*
For example, there are ways to highlight the quick payoff for addressing
climate change. In the political realm, that could mean that an elected
official gets more votes because they support policies that reduce
emissions. The promise of a benefit in the next election may be more
galvanizing than the goal of protecting future generations, even if the
latter has more moral weight.
"The benefits that we get today are more salient, and we want them more
than benefits that may be larger, but will accrue in the future,"
explains Jennifer Jacquet, a researcher and associate professor of
environmental studies at New York University who studies the psychology
of collective action, including on climate change.
Jacquet says the huge spending bill passed last year by Congress, called
the Inflation Reduction Act, is another example of using our focus on
the present to drive climate-conscious behavior. The bill includes
financial incentives for people who buy electric vehicles or install
solar panels.

"They're trying to speed up the benefits," says Jacquet. "That's smart.
That's good. That plays into how we think about things."

*Extreme weather is starting to catch everyone's attention*
In some ways, our focus on the present is less and less of a problem as
climate change makes itself more and more obvious today — in our daily
lives. Everyone on Earth is experiencing the effects of a hotter planet.
That makes it a problem of the present, not of the future.
That immediacy is already showing up in how Americans view climate
change, according to Leiserowitz, who has been leading an annual poll on
the topic for more than 15 years. As extreme weather is becoming more
common, he says support for climate policies is also growing, especially
at the local level.

For example, the vast majority of respondents in a September 2021 poll
said they support local governments providing money to help make homes
more energy efficient, to increase public transportation and to install
bike lanes. And the majority of respondents supported investments in
renewable energy.

*There's no time to waste*
Widespread public support for climate policies can help push politicians
and corporate leaders to act quickly – which is important, because
scientists warn that greenhouse gas emissions need to drop dramatically,
and immediately, to avoid runaway warming later this century.
"We have big societal choices to make," says Leiserowitz, and those
changes need to happen now. In the present. "People working together to
demand action by their leaders is going to be an absolutely critical piece."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/01/04/1139782291/time-perception-climate-change-risk

/[ NYTimes Magazine - a persistent climate conjecture  -- text and
listen to the article ]/
*Has the Amazon Reached Its ‘Tipping Point’?*
Some Brazilian scientists fear that the Amazon may become a grassy
savanna — with profound effects on the climate worldwide.
By Alex Cuadros
Jan. 4, 2023
- -
A growing number of scientists worry that one tipping point can trigger
another. In some cases the influence is direct. If Greenland’s ice sheet
disappears, the circulation of Atlantic seawaters could be drastically
altered, which would, in turn, wreak havoc on weather patterns across
the globe, making Scandinavia uninhabitably cold, warming the Southern
Hemisphere, drying out forests. The impact of Amazon dieback would be to
release tens of billions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere — which
is more diffuse, but no less dangerous. When Lenton and his colleague
David Armstrong McKay recently compiled the latest evidence on an array
of global climate thresholds, they found that even a very optimistic 1.5
degrees of warming since preindustrial times may be enough to trigger
the gradual but irreversible melting of ice sheets in Greenland and West
Antarctica, and to thaw methane-trapping permafrost.

It is difficult to predict how all these shifts might interact, as most
models assume, for example, that Atlantic seawaters will always
circulate according to known patterns. But in a 2018 paper, Lenton and
the American Earth system scientist Will Steffen warned that a
dominolike “tipping cascade” could push the global climate itself beyond
a critical threshold, into an alternate feedback loop called “hothouse
Earth,” with hostile conditions not seen for millions of years. It can
feel like doom-mongering to contemplate such a scenario. There is no way
to put a number on it. Even if it is improbable, however, Lenton argues
that the consequences would be so dire that it must be taken seriously.
He sees it as a “profound risk-management problem”: If we focus only on
the most likely outcomes, we will never predict anomalies like 2021’s
unprecedented “heat dome” in the Pacific Northwest. Or last year’s
winter heat wave in Antarctica, when temperatures jumped 70 degrees
Fahrenheit above the average. Or, for that matter, the proliferation of
wildfires in the world’s largest rainforest.

Berenguer wanted to show Gatti how the 2015 megafires had altered
forests in the northeastern Amazon. So Xarope picked us up from the
research base in the morning, and we got back onto the BR-163. Here and
there along the highway, Berenguer pointed out “tree skeletons” — dead
trees whose sun-bleached branches poked from the otherwise lush green
canopy of the Tapajós. Fire did not always kill them right away. When
Berenguer was back in Britain, her assistants would send her updates by
WhatsApp. You know Tree 71? one message might say, referring to a
centuries-old specimen in one of her plots. So, it just died. It could
take a few years more for it to fall to the ground. Some of the carbon
in Gatti’s air samples, then, could be a delayed consequence of past
fires. But as we would see inside the living forest, something stranger
was happening, too.

Eventually we exited the highway for an unmarked dirt track that ended
in a wall of vegetation. Machete in hand, Berenguer led us onto a tight
path. Just a few days earlier, she and her assistants spent hours
clearing the way for us, but new vines were already reclaiming the
space. “You can see it’s a mess,” Berenguer said. An impassable thicket
of reedy bamboo hemmed us in on either side; the canopy was low above
our heads. To me it looked normal enough, as far as jungle goes. In
reality, though, a healthy rainforest should be easy to walk through,
because the largest trees consume so much light and water that the
understory lacks the resources to grow very dense.

We walked over fallen trunks. Unlike in the southeastern Amazon,
Berenguer still saw no evidence of savannalike vegetation moving in. But
the balance of native species was now out of whack, as opportunistic
“pioneers” occupied the spaces left by dead giants. In some areas,
fast-growing embaúba trees stood so uniformly that they resembled the
stems of a wood-pulp plantation. In others, hundreds of newborn lianas
formed a kind of snake nest. (Berenguer’s team had to measure each one
individually, a hellish task.) She pointed to a tall, proud tree that
had somehow survived the blaze. Because all of the other nearby
individuals of its species had been killed, it was unlikely to
reproduce; Berenguer called it a “zombie.”

A University of Birmingham researcher named Adriane Esquivel-Muelbert
has found similar changes across the Amazon. Even in the absence of
actual “savannization,” trees that can withstand drier conditions are
proliferating, while those that need more water are dying in greater
numbers. The dominance of embaúba is particularly worrisome because the
trees are hollow, storing far less carbon than a slower-growing species
like mahogany. Their life cycle is also relatively short, leaving more
frequent gaps in the canopy. The end result of this transformation is
unclear, but Gatti’s numbers have only continued to get worse. According
to her latest five-year averages, the Brazilian Amazon is already giving
off 50 percent more carbon than it was in the first five years of her
project — and even the historically healthier western forests are
sometimes emitting more than they absorb.

Eventually we came into a clearing. I began to sweat. The sun was
searing hot; Berenguer said that unshaded ground can reach 176 degrees
Fahrenheit here. Clearings are a natural part of the Amazonian cycle, as
large trees inevitably die and other species gradually take their place.
But even logging could not match the power of fire to turn the forest
into “Swiss cheese.” Berenguer never used to need sunscreen because the
canopy was so thick; now she gets sunburned here. And the profusion of
holes sets off a vicious cycle. The sun dries out the vegetation; trees
shed leaves to preserve water; the litter becomes fuel for the next
fire. The gaps also create a “wind corridor,” allowing strong drafts to
penetrate deep into the forest during storms. Perversely, with their
heavy trunks, the largest, oldest trees are especially vulnerable to
being knocked over...
- -
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/04/magazine/amazon-tipping-point.html?unlocked_article_code=XrpG1MMfJ4f3xb-CBKskYr-b-8wQqxURNMzJTAdJG8P3k8tj0qHoo7b8ewRnQe4qdDqL2AUMu4-kX4UdE6Jk38IlvMT2cRf-rmh8u0RiGk1YR4lSK9S92SqpkWgTmYDOkKM_JlJpGjVlaIvpQByzOvELUQRM6TW49jevHvrejrpjGajoMfi2RVFrWdJAIio2xoYPJ2qRHz5aWr5ZQseRzH2yyp_mOg32RvfsVbWm0lJQmbKmdBTUQ6NM9QtGLgtwu4mlpBDGAPvHNnxHwXCCa53sqfvlN_9-wAfr46b9q9kRcITDRznDz4giV9E9rEIX0yppIbHJq9_DHYJh-8Ei&smid=share-url

/[ A 6 year old video that explains transformation - 5 mins video ]/
*The Climate Crisis with Naomi Oreskes and Nicholas Stern*
World Economic Forum
Mar 9, 2016
The Climate Crisis
Naomi Oreskes, Harvard University, USA
Nicholas Stern, The British Academy, UK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOyZYK4xGyA

/[ Taking actions now to make impacts forever ]/
*5 doable resolutions for US climate policy in 2023*
The US can tackle methane emissions and deliver on global financing.
By Rebecca Leber at rebleberrebecca.leber@vox.com
Dec 30, 2022
- -
There’s much more that can be done in 2023, and the US has a particular
role to play. Historically the world’s biggest polluter, the US is
finally gearing up for its biggest realignment yet on climate change.
The country has a chance to slash its climate pollution and protect the
population from the effects of extreme weather. And there are also
actionable steps people can take in their own lives and communities to
make a difference.

Here are five things the US could resolve to do in 2023:

*1) Slash methane emissions from the oil and gas sector*
Next year has the opportunity to be a turning point in the
second-biggest contributor to climate change, methane. Methane is
responsible for only 30 percent of climate change, a smaller share than
carbon dioxide, but it is also much more capable of trapping heat...
The EPA would require companies to regularly monitor pollution coming
from their oil and gas wells, as well as limit companies from burning
off the excess gas. And the Bureau of Land Management rule specifically
targets public and tribal lands by setting monthly limits on burning off
excess gas and having operators submit a waste minimization plan with
any permit application...
- -
*2. Mainstream heat pumps, induction stoves, and electric vehicles with
the Inflation Reduction Act*
The Inflation Reduction Act passed by Democrats in Congress this summer
includes $369 billion to push American consumers and industry away from
relying on fossil fuels. The utility payments in the law will ensure
that renewables will be cheaper than building new coal and gas power
plants. And the tax credits and rebates aim at helping consumers make
the leap to renewable and energy-efficient technologies. Some of these
technologies are familiar, like rooftop solar and insulation, but some
will be newer to Americans, including heat pumps, induction stoves, and
plug-in electric vehicles...
- -
*3. Take extreme heat as seriously as the cold*
We learned some important lessons about the power grid this year. After
repeated close calls around the country this year during high demand
times, California and Texas narrowly averted mass power outages only
when consumers helped to reduce the load on the grid, through small
actions like changing the thermostat.

These events averted mass blackouts during unusual heat waves. If the
power did go out, millions could have been exposed to potentially
dangerous temperatures. Everyone has different tolerances to heat, and
in a heat wave, the elderly tend to be the most vulnerable well before
the thermostat hits triple digits...
- -
*4. Deliver on global climate financing*
The US still hasn’t delivered on its original Paris climate agreement
pledge in 2015 to deliver $3 billion to the Green Climate Fund. The fund
is meant to help with clean energy financing in developing countries, in
recognition of rich countries’ lopsided blame for causing climate
change. While Biden secured $1 billion from Congress this year, it’s
unclear where the remaining $2 billion will come from, especially given
Republican control of the House next year...

The US has other obligations on top of the Green Climate Fund. Biden
also pledged $11 billion to developing countries. That’s on top of the
White House’s announcements of joint energy partnerships with South
Africa, Indonesia, Vietnam, and the EU. Some of this funding can come
from agencies’ discretionary budget, but Biden will need to depend on
Congress for the rest.

The US also has a new kind of climate commitment to deliver on. At the
recent international climate conference in Egypt, the world committed
for the first time to recognizing the loss and damages suffered by
developing countries for a crisis they played a negligible role in creating.

The US has long been wary of agreeing to pay for any losses and damages,
worried it will open up a flood of lawsuits and claims against the
world’s historically biggest polluter, but did agree to a basic
framework in Egypt. It’s not clear yet what that will translate to in
dollars...

*5. Get personal and political*
In 2023, Americans will have more personal control over the kind of
carbon footprint they have than ever before. They’ll be able to take
control over the “mini fossil fuel plants” people run in their homes
every day for their heating, cooking, and driving...

The incentives available under the Inflation Reduction Act will finally
make it more financially affordable to go electric. There’s money for
rooftop solar; electric vehicles, clothes dryers, stoves, and ovens;
heat pumps for heating, cooling, and hot water; electric panels and
wiring. The law also includes programs that cover the costs of
insulation and weatherization to cut a building’s energy usage.
It’s also important to get outside the mindset that the only impact you
can have on climate change is in the ways you consume, eat, and live.
There’s more you can do. Action can mean thinking about your identities,
your workplace, your networks, and your privileges, but also, a little
more abstractly, understanding what sorts of action lead to policy
change. All this will help you identify the appropriate community to
link up with. In other words: You can always do more by not acting alone.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/23511257/how-us-fight-climate-change-2023

/[ intensifying climates means Increasing need for mental health - 24
min video presentation ]/
*Gary Belkin - The Social Crisis in the Climate Crisis*
The International Initiative for Mental Health Leadership (IIMHL) is a
unique international collaborative that focuses on mental health and
addictions. IIMHL is a collaboration of seven countries: Australia,
England, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, Scotland and USA.
IIMHL organizes structured staff exchanges, systems for international
networking, innovation sharing and problem solving across countries and
agencies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kua-pE9kH8

/[  maybe the real predicament is population overshoot ]/
*Welcome to a new year on a warming planet, now with 8 billion people*
Joan Meiners
Arizona Republic
Jan 4, 2023
We start 2023 sharing the planet with 8 billion other people.

The United Nations' global population counter clicked passed this
estimated milestone in mid-November. In the context of climate change,
what that means is that roughly 8 billion humans now aspire to own a
smart phone, a tablet, a television, an automobile, a house connected to
power and more. Approximately 27,000 first-time internet users come
online every hour, according to a 2016 analysis by Our World in Data.
And the number of global airline flights, a major contributor to the
release of heat-trapping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, is on
track to surpass pre-pandemic levels this year.

Meanwhile, manufacturing of screens and the transition to renewable
energy sources is limited by processes in minerals mining, the grid is
not yet outfitted to fully support electric utilities or transportation
and concern about fossil fuel reliance grows each day. With this
backdrop, the idea of more and more people seeking to increase their
quality of life, as we all do, by tapping into a fixed set of global
resources may feel overwhelming.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2023/01/02/PPHX/b8e36233-db8a-44e2-92d8-9d4b7567c128-Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousand-BCE.png?width=1320&height=930&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

This topic seems to have already been on your minds. Looking over emails
from readers regarding our weekly climate series, a theme emerged:
Despite 2022's political, technological and social progress to address
warming trends and the challenges in those areas that remain, what many
of you are thinking most about is overpopulation.

This concern is so common that, halfway through writing this story, I
noticed that environmental writer Jonathan Thompson recently wrote a
similar response to his readers in High Country News highlighting key
stats on how the crisis is largely created by rich people specifically.
Overpopulation also got airtime on the first "60 Minutes" broadcast of
2023, with famed Stanford biologist Paul Ehrlich, who was one of the
first to raise the alarm about climate change and is also credited with
"inciting a worldwide fear of population," talking about how an
unsustainable number of humans is driving the ongoing extinction crisis
(a major problem since we can't survive on a planet of only humans).

One Republic reader was so distressed that he took the time to print and
mail graphs to our newsroom meant to illuminate the similarities between
curves charting both the rising concentration of greenhouse gases in the
atmosphere and the global population over time. Both show the classic
"hockey stick" shape that tracks slow, steady, mostly-horizontal
increases across early human history (the straight, longer part of the
hockey stick the player holds), followed by rapid, exponential,
nearly-vertical increases in recent decades (the sharp bend leading to
the part of the hockey stick that delivers the devastating puck
acceleration).

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2023/01/02/PPHX/fc094972-4669-4588-afe4-b7308c942595-climate-change.png?width=1320&height=932&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

But while the two curves are undeniably similar, the problem is arguably
more of a chicken-or-the-egg scenario. Did greenhouse gas emissions rise
to dangerous levels strictly because we allowed global population to get
out of control, in some kind of equation where more people inexorably
equals more energy? Or, amid population growth typical of a flourishing
species, have we increasingly indulged in excessively energy-rich ways
of life?
As far as the exact human causes of the ways we're seeing nature respond
to warming temperatures and how best to respond to ensure our own
survival, in this case, there are some other ideas.

Manfred Laubichler is a professor of Theoretical Biology and the History
of Biology as well as the director of the School of Complex Adaptive
Systems and the Global Biosocial Complexity Initiative at Arizona State
University. Those titles are a mouthful, but his work boils down to
thinking about the what the evolutionary history of both nature and
knowledge might teach us about possible life hacks moving forward. In
even simpler terms, he studies our biological past for tips on how to
live our best future.

The Arizona Republic reached him in Berlin, where he spent time between
semesters working with collaborators at the Max Planck Institute for the
History of Science, to discuss his views on how population is not the
problem and might even be a solution to the climate crisis, with more
brains giving rise to more ideas on how to adapt. The conversation,
including some controversial concepts he explained in more depth than we
could include, has been necessarily edited for length and clarity.

https://twitter.com/RARohde/status/1160925986868858880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1160925986868858880%7Ctwgr%5E8da0429560c4155ad04c70b8edc7d6b4e83f99a4%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.azcentral.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Farizona-environment%2F2023%2F01%2F04%2Fis-climate-change-fueled-by-overpopulation-what-is-the-solution%2F69765023007%2F

*I’ve been getting emails from people telling me that whatever I'm
writing regarding climate change doesn't matter because the real problem
is overpopulation. And while I recognize that overpopulation is
certainly a parameter here, it's not something that can just be fixed in
any kind of ethical way. So, I thought it might be interesting for my
readers to hear from you about what else overpopulation might mean for
us as a global society coping with a dangerously warming climate.*

*M.L.: *As you said, yes, population is a major contributing factor (to
climate change). It is not one that can be solved overnight. And the
absolute numbers are actually only a very small part of the story. What
we did in our work is to try to take that deep history approach and say,
“When did this dynamic that we are currently experiencing really start?”

You have to go back several thousand years, to the early Neolithic. We
had enough people that had enough experience about their environment
that they extracted the knowledge necessary to start agriculture. Once
that happened, then we see what we call the "Anthropocene engine"
beginning to run. And that is basically a positive feedback loop between
population size, knowledge generation and energy use. So it’s when
enough people produce more and more knowledge that allows them to
extract more energy which supports more people, and you see how this is
going and going and going.

This is more or less an inevitable process if our species behaves like
any other biological species, using whatever it’s got to increase its
numbers. For a long time, we were limited in our growth potential
because we experienced regulatory feedback from the environment. But our
species is unique because we extracted knowledge that allowed us to
basically emancipate ourselves from a lot of those regulatory controls
as part of what you can call the process of civilization. And now we
have created a mess.

*Human limits of modern agriculture: *Climate change could push produce
prices higher, slowing the fight for food justice

At the same time, we have enough knowledge that we actually know what to
do. What we have not figured out is how to implement that knowledge as a
society because, in many ways, what we have to do is create regulatory
structures as a civilization, meaning rules for a different type of
economic system or application of technologies that are more circular
and non-extractive.

So that's where the target is. And at ASU, that is exactly the focus of
the Global Futures Laboratory: to understand and then implement
solutions for “how do we actually shape the world of societies to do
something differently?”

*What would that look like, to evolve as an intelligent civilization to
live smarter instead of just bigger?*

Ten thousand years ago, every human on this planet had an average daily
energy use of about 90 watts. Today, everyone uses about 11,000 watts.
That's a more than 104-fold increase. So we are no longer just a
biological species. We are this socio-technological species. The
biological part of what we need to survive is a very small part of our
daily energy use...

Even if we would reduce our numbers, our infrastructure won't go away. A
lot of our energy use actually goes to maintaining and expanding our
technological infrastructure in a way that makes the relationship
between population size and environmental footprint more complicated. So
controlling populations right now doesn't really help us. Because what
you're saying is you want to go back and use less energy, which nobody
wants to do.

We need to redesign and transform our infrastructure to make it less of
a burden on the environment. Right now we have a linear extractive mode
of production: We mine something, then we turn it into some products and
then we throw them away. If you would close those material flows, we
would eliminate a lot of the negative footprint on the environment. It's
a question of applying a different set of behaviors.

*For sure. If we could recycle more, use less, be more efficient, that
would be great. But those redesigns cost money. And, under capitalism,
people tend to think that we should let economics dictate our decisions.
So I know you're not a behavioral scientist, but how do we bridge that gap?*

The solution is not about challenging the existence of markets and
competition. It is about having real markets and real competition,
because our current system operates under the assumption that the
profits get privatized and the costs get basically externalized to the
society at large...
If companies can produce whatever they want but are responsible for the
lifecycle of their products, that's a simple regulation that would
change the economics and make modes of production that incorporate a
circular system much more competitive. And I would say many people
actually are very willing to support that, if they would be given the
option. But that only gets us so far, because they do not really have
fair alternatives to purchase products that (align with these) values
because those are currently not competitive in this marketplace that
does not reflect the true (environmental) costs of products.

The global fossil fuel industry is corrupt and subsidized, to a degree
that is more costly than what it would take to transition to renewable
energy sources. But this is not something that individual consumers or
citizens can easily influence. What we really would need to have is some
global regulation that allows everybody to benefit from what those
companies have to offer without being exploited and subjugated to
whatever else they're doing.

This is something that I see can happen. But (with the slow pace of
progress at COP meetings, for example) I don't know on what timescale it
can happen, or what it would take for those necessary transformations to
actually materialize. And the problem is time is what we don't have. We
are running out of time.

*Ok so if capitalism can work within environmental bounds as long as
companies are responsible for the lifecycle of their products, do we do
that on the front end by pricing items according to their true
environmental cost and improving how we factor cleanup expenses into
permitting? Or is the idea to expand company operations where if Apple
wants to make new iPhones that only last two years, for example, then
they need to be responsible for retrieving all the old iPhones and
recycling those materials back into circulation?*

Well, I think what we need is both. There's a saying in evolutionary
biology that you cannot put up a sign "Closed for reconstruction." Every
step in an evolutionary transformation has to work and I think the same
applies to our economy. We can't shut everything down and start from
scratch because we need to continue to function on a day-to-day basis.
So we have to find strategies of transition that actually work.The
question is, what are the right kind of incentives? If you try to
prescribe all of that upfront, that might not work. But if the framework
is that companies (gradually) adapt to whatever the rules are, then the
ones that are successful will be the ones that survive. Others that
can't adapt will go out of business. That will be the transition phase.
But we need fair playing fields for the market to work, and values that
impose almost a Hippocratic oath in business: Your products are not
allowed to do harm and if you sell a product that ruins the environment,
you get sued...

*I think you'd get a lot of people who would say that anything made from
plastic, for example, is harmful, which could create a different kind of
harm if it limits production of things like medical devices. How do we
navigate those kinds of considerations?*

That's a good point but, as I said, we don't lack knowledge. Certain
types of plastics are clearly necessary. In other areas, plastic is just
convenient, for packaging and things. We do know that there are
alternatives which are currently not cost effective, including some new
innovations where you have versions of plastic that are biodegradable.

If you imposed regulations that say that anything that ends up in a
landfill or pollutes the environment must fulfill certain beneficial
functions and the impacts are priced into your product, but you have to
use materials that are biodegradable for everything else, you can close
that cycle. So we don't have to over-regulate, we just need the right
kind of smart regulations, because for many of the downstream
consequences, I think market mechanisms are quite effective. They have
been effective in building up our current society and our current range
of products. And they can be effective if we change the regulatory
parameters.

*It'll be an interesting year of complex considerations ahead. To end
our conversation back on the idea of overpopulation, is there a number
you think really is unsustainable, if 8 billion isn't it?*

We know that we are currently in what's called the Great Acceleration of
the Anthropocene, where everything is growing exponentially, and that is
clearly not sustainable. The models of population growth are such that
we will plateau at between 9 and 10 billion people globally over the
next few decades.

The question is the following: how can we influence the shape of this
curve? We know exactly what we have to do to bend that population curve
down faster. And that is very simple: Educate women globally, to slow
reproduction.

Joan Meiners is the Climate News and Storytelling Reporter at The
Arizona Republic and azcentral. Before becoming a journalist, she
completed a doctorate in Ecology. Follow Joan on Twitter at @beecycles
or email her at joan.meiners at arizonarepublic.com.

Support climate coverage and local journalism by subscribing to
azcentral.com at this link.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-environment/2023/01/04/is-climate-change-fueled-by-overpopulation-what-is-the-solution/69765023007/

/[The news archive - looking back ]/
/*January 5, 2000*/
January 5, 2000: During a Democratic Presidential debate with former New
Jersey Senator Bill Bradley, Vice President Al Gore notes that as a
Congressman, "...I decided to take on the issue of global warming and
make it a national issue, when everybody was saying 'You know, you're
going to run a lot of risk there. People are going to think that that's
kind of off the edge there.' Well, now more and more people say, 'Yes,
it is real,' and the next president has to be willing to take it on."

(29:28-29-50)

https://c-spanvideo.org/program/DemocraticCandidatesDebate10
/[ this link does not work to play the video - check other sources ]/

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli