[✔️] January 30, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Thwaites & tipping points, La Nina now, Risk communications, Info for Decisions..

Mon Jan 30 10:12:38 EST 2023

/*January 30, 2023*/

/[ Thwaiting time is over as open ocean pounds ice directly  ]/
*The news from Thwaites is getting grim; the open ocean is battering the
ice shelves.*
Sunday January 29, 2023 ·
Conditions at the Thwaites and Pine Island glaciers in West Antarctica
appear to be rapidly deteriorating. Satellite imagery shared by Kris Van
Steenbergen and Chris Cartwright on Twitter shows massive cracks and
iceberg calving along with the breakup of sea ice that has accelerated
since Iceberg B22A lifted off its sea mount and entered the open ocean.

The oceans are now the hottest they have ever been. Ever!
https://twitter.com/_OScience/status/1619248945833852928

The predicted fracturing of the marine extensions of the two enormous
marine-terminating ice streams reported last year that will occur in
three to five years is now happening. Faster than expected.

All pinning points are simultaneously collapsing. We are in unchartered
territory.

Antarctica is not waiting for us to get our shit together. Where is the
media?
Your daily #Thwaites update 28.01.2023
Check out the size of the latest crack  -WOW
More cracks appearing along the coastline
Luckily it is the end of the melting season
It happened before , to clarify.
But so much sea ice missing in 2023
https://twitter.com/ClimatChristo/status/1619336744087732226
https://twitter.com/ClimatChristo/status/1619336744087732226/photo/1
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/1/29/2149679/-The-news-from-Thwaites-is-getting-grim-the-open-ocean-is-battering-the-shelves

/- -
/

/[ foundational seminar on both positive and negative tipping points -
video 1:35 min ]/
*Changing Planet Seminar- Social, ecological and climate tipping points
by Tim Lenton*
Grantham Imperial
Feb 25, 2022  IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON
In this seminar, Professor Tim Lenton, Director of the Global Systems
Institute and Chair in Climate Change and Earth System Science at the
University of Exeter, will outline how tipping points can occur in
continuous dynamical systems and in networks, the causal interactions
that can occur between tipping events across different types and scales
of system – including the conditions required to trigger tipping
cascades, the potential for early warning signals of tipping points, and
how they could inform deliberate tipping of positive change.
In particular, the same methods that can provide early warning of
damaging environmental tipping points can be used to detect when a
socio-technical or socio-ecological system is most sensitive to being
deliberately tipped in a desirable direction. He will provide some
example targets for such deliberate tipping of positive change.

The Changing Planet seminar series is run by students and staff on the
Science and Solutions for a Changing Planet (SSCP) Doctoral Training
Program. It offers the chance to hear the latest in understanding,
adapting to and mitigating environmental problems, complementing the
diversity of environmental research at Imperial College London and beyond.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKjwc1mDao

.

/[  video recorded Dec 2022 -- 1:31]/
*A focus on the ongoing Triple La Nina event*
World Climate Research Programme
https://youtu.be/ks2VN3x5c_8?t=267/

/[  Climate risk communication  video ~56 min - Recorded a year ago
(maybe start 18 min in) ]/
*Day 3 Workshop p.1 - Why is risk communication difficult?*
Cambridge Zero
Feb 24, 2022  #cop26 #climaterisk
A multidisciplinary, interactive workshop on communicating climate risk,
created by the Analysis under Uncertainty for Decision-Makers Network
(AU4DM) and the UCL Climate Action Unit.

Introductory remarks:
00:00 Welcome by Alyssa Gilbert, Director of Policy Translation,
Grantham Institute for Climate Change and the Environment, Imperial
College London
01:25 Liz Bentley, Chief Executive, Royal Meteorological Society

07:10 Meet the workshop creators:
08:29 Agenda for the day
09:07 AU4DM: Martine Barons, Mark Workman, Polina Levontin, Jo Walton
10:28 UCL Climate Action Unit: Freya Roberts, Kris De Meyer, Lucy
Hubble-Rose

Presentations:
16:33 Mark Workman, 'Challenges in climate risk communication:
contextualising research in the decision value-chain'
38:31 UCL CAU, 'Risk for Elephants: insights from the sciences of brain
and mind'
This workshop was recorded on Day 3 of the Climate Risk Summit (1 Oct
2021), a virtual conference supported by the COP26 Universities Network.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUNbqpd1-8

- -
[ See also]
https://www.academia.edu/70357198/Communicating_Climate_Risk_A_Toolkit

/[  For this superb interview, it seems better to listen rather than
watch imperfect video //- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQIYOuelWX4 ]/
*William Rees - Measuring Our Ecological Footprint*
The Green Interview - Re-invent the world
1,898 views  Jul 26, 2022  #ClimateChange #TheGreenInterview
Dr. William Rees, who devised the famous “Ecological Footprint,” which
measures the proportion of the earth’s resources any group of people is
using – a single person, a village or region, or the entire human race.

Dr. William Rees has been a professor at the University of British
Columbia’s School of Community and Regional Planning (SCARP) since 1969.
He founded SCARP’s ‘Environment and Resource Planning’ concentration and
from 1994 to 1999 served as director of the School.

Born December 18, 1943, Bill Rees grew up on a farm in in southern
Ontario, and dates his environmental awakening to a boyhood day when “I
happened to glance down at my plate full of young new carrots, little
potatoes, fresh lettuce, and I realized that there wasn’t a single thing
on the plate that I hadn’t had a hand in growing. I suppose it was like
an epiphany kind of experience.”
--
This interview is part of The Green Interview, an archive of resources
pertinent to an understanding of the future of life on earth and

/[ brief video less than 4 mins ]/
*What is propaganda? | Jason Stanley | Explain It Like I’m Smart by Big
Think*
Big Think
81,671 views  Nov 4, 2021
What is propaganda? with Jason Stanley
Propaganda is ubiquitous, and everyone uses propaganda. It's a kind of
communication that makes a case for a goal, bypassing reason. Propaganda
is a method to urge you to mobilize towards something while concealing
from you things that you reasonably should think, should consider.

The word propaganda by itself is neither good nor bad because we talk of
abolitionist propaganda. We talk about the propaganda that people use in
social movements. Martin Luther King Jr. talked about the need for
propaganda because you need to get people to reconsider their racist
assumptions. The goal of propaganda is to connect neutral words to other
things.

Propaganda will always be here. Our words always have these
associations, any word I have. The goal is to have lots of different
ways of living and lots of different ways of thinking and to recognize
that we're not a threat to each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8L8tGErQPs

- -

/[ a longer video 11 mins ]/
*Introduction to Propaganda*
Academy of Ideas
475,994 views  Oct 6, 2013  In Pursuit of Liberty
In this lecture we investigate the nature of propaganda. We examine what
propaganda is, the difference between education and propaganda, the
history of propaganda, the nature of political propaganda, and the role
propaganda plays in modern democracies.
Support us on Patreon: http://patreon.com/academyofideas
Recommended Readings:
Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes by Jacques Ellul -
http://amzn.to/1sAJlpd (affiliate link)
Propaganda by Edward Bernays - http://amzn.to/1VjV7Ql (affiliate link)
Visit http://www.academyofideas.com for more videos, video transcripts
and more!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WpFzTplp28

/[ Time for words and music by Leonard Cohen ]/
*Everybody knows*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxd23UVID7k

    Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
    Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
    Everybody knows the war is over
    Everybody knows the good guys lost
    Everybody knows the fight was fixed
    The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
    That's how it goes
    Everybody knows

    Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
    Everybody knows that the captain lied
    Everybody got this broken feeling
    Like their father or their dog just died
    Everybody talking to their pockets
    Everybody wants a box of chocolates
    And a long-stem rose
    Everybody knows

    Everybody knows that you love me baby
    Everybody knows that you really do
    Everybody knows that you've been faithful
    Oh, give or take a night or two
    Everybody knows you've been discreet
    But there were so many people you just had to meet
    Without your clothes
    Everybody knows

    Everybody knows, everybody knows
    That's how it goes
    Everybody knows
    Everybody knows, everybody knows
    That's how it goes
    Everybody knows

    And everybody knows that it's now or never
    Everybody knows that it's me or you
    And everybody knows that you live forever
    When you've done a line or two
    Everybody knows the deal is rotten
    Old Black Joe's still picking cotton
    For your ribbons and bows
    And everybody knows

    And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
    Everybody knows that it's moving fast
    Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
    Are just a shining artifact of the past
    Everybody knows the scene is dead
    But there's gonna be a meter on your bed
    That will disclose
    What everybody knows

    And everybody knows that you're in trouble
    Everybody knows what you've been through
     From the bloody cross on top of Calvary
    To the beach of Malibu
    Everybody knows it's coming apart
    Take one last look at this Sacred Heart
    Before it blows
    Everybody knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxd23UVID7k

/[ I avoid facebook but some pages may be useful for climate doomers ]/
*Near Term Human Extinction SUPPORT Group*
Private group
6.7K members
Benjamin TheDonkey
posnteSodr
It’s All Over
However dissatisfying,
It’s over, except for the crying;
Denying and lying
Are less terrifying
Than knowing we’ll soon all be dying.
- -
Topics in this group
#climatechange
Pinned by admin • 333 posts
#EcologicalCollapse
Pinned by admin • 114 posts
#griefandcoping
Pinned by admin • 114 posts
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NTHESupportGroup/permalink/6093216744074066/

/[The news archive - looking back at how SCOTUS opened another door for
corp manipulation of Congress ]/
/*January 30, 1976*/
January 30, 1976: The US Supreme Court issues the Buckley v. Valeo
ruling, one of several controversial rulings that effectively allow
polluters to interfere with the US political process.

    *Justia Opinion Summary and Annotations*
    Annotation

    Primary Holding
    While the government can limit how much individuals contribute to
    political campaigns, it cannot place limits on campaign
    expenditures, expenditures by a candidate from personal resources,
    or independent expenditures by groups supporting the campaign. This
    is because the Court equated money with speech in this context, so
    the First Amendment applies.
    Facts
    In an attempt by Congress to control spending and contributions for
    political campaigns, Congress amended the Federal Election Campaign
    Act of 1971 three years after it was passed. Some of the key
    provisions included public financing for presidential elections,
    mandated disclosure for political contributions, limits on
    contributions to candidates for public office, limits on
    expenditures by candidates and their committees in most instances,
    limits on candidate expenditures from their personal funds, and
    limits on independent expenditures.

    The amendments also provided how the eight members of the Federal
    Election Commission would be appointed. Two would be the Secretary
    of the Senate and the Clerk of the House of Representatives, who
    would be non-voting members. Two would be appointed directly by the
    President. Two more would be appointed by the President pro tempore
    of the Senate after recommendations by its majority and minority
    leaders. The remaining two would be appointed by the Speaker of the
    House of Representatives after recommendations by its majority and
    minority leaders. Both Houses of Congress would be required to
    confirm each of the six voting members by a majority vote, and the
    three pairs of voting members needed to each contain a member from
    each political party.

    A group of plaintiffs, including Senator James Buckley, filed a
    claim in the District of Columbia court against Francis Valeo, who
    was the Secretary of the Senate and thus a non-voting member of the
    FEC. Their petitions for declaratory and injunctive relief under the
    First and Fifth Amendments were initially denied.
    Opinions
    Per Curiam

    In an opinion not authored by any individual Justice, the Court
    found that some of the provisions of the Campaign Finance Act were
    unconstitutional, while others were valid. In general, the
    provisions that were invalidated were those that:

    1) Limited expenditures by candidates from personal funds;
    2) Limited expenditures on campaigns by independent entities, who
    were neither candidates nor political parties; and
    3) Arranged a system whereby Congress could directly appoint FEC
    commissioners.

    By contrast, the provisions that were upheld were those that:

    1) Limited contributions to candidates;
    2) Required the disclosure and reporting of provisions (although the
    Court narrowed their applicability); and
    3) Created a system for voluntary government funding of campaigns
    and limited spending by candidates who used this funding.

http://www.fec.gov/law/litigation/Buckley.pdf

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli