[✔️] July 6, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | WFLA summary, Dave Roberts AI help, Jem Bendell, Explaining a wavy Jet stream, 2010 WAPO

Thu Jul 6 03:30:30 EDT 2023

/*July*//*6, 2023*/

/[ an excellent report in the style of TV news ... weeks ago, still
current https://youtu.be/9ryhkEqIvZk ]/
*Ocean heat spike stuns scientists: Did we breach a climate tipping
point? | Jeff’s Climate Classroom*
WFLA News Channel 8
Jun 15, 2023
Global oceans are so hot right now, scientists around the world are
struggling to explain it. WFLA Chief Meteorologist Jeff Berardelli
discusses whether the surge is evidence that human-caused heating has
pushed the climate past a tipping point.

Listen on Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3NzR9UY
Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/43OtjdO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhkEqIvZk

/[ Dave Roberts --- pep talk how AI helps humans in climate survival -
audio interview of the basics ]/
*How can AI help with climate change?*
A conversation with MIT's Priya Donti.
As you might have noticed, the world is in the midst of a massive wave
of hype about artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) —
hype tinged with no small amount of terror.

Here at Volts, though, we’re less worried about theoretical machines
that gain sentience and decide to wipe out humanity than we are with the
actually existing apocalypse of climate change.
Are AI and ML helping in the climate fight, or hurting? Are they
generating substantial greenhouse gas emissions on their own? Are they
helping to discover and exploit more fossil fuels? Are they unlocking
fantastic capabilities that might one day revolutionize climate models
or the electricity grid?

Yes! They are doing all those things. To try to wrap my head around the
extent of their current carbon emissions, the ways they are hurting and
helping the climate fight, and how policy might channel them in a
positive direction, I contact Priya Donti, an assistant professor at MIT
and executive director of Climate Change AI, a nonprofit that
investigates these very questions...
https://www.volts.wtf/p/how-can-ai-help-with-climate-change

- -

/[ links referenced above ]/

https://www.climatechange.ai/

https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3485128

/[ harsh language from a writer ] /
*Airpocalypse: David Wallace-Wells on Red Skies, Raging Wildfires &
Pollution Link to Climate Crisis*
Democracy Now!
Jun 8, 2023  Latest Shows
Record-breaking Canadian wildfires continue to fill skies across much of
North America with smoke, putting about 100 million people under air
quality alerts. New York City recorded the worst air quality of any
major city in the world as a result of the haze. Around the world, air
pollution is already responsible for as many as 10 million deaths per
year, and the problem is likely to get worse, says New York Times
opinion writer David Wallace-Wells. He explains how today's smoky skies
are a glimpse of our future in the climate crisis, when warmer
temperatures and dry conditions will continue to increase the size and
severity of wildfires across the globe. "It's not just that we're
getting more fires, and it's not even that they're getting larger.
They're also getting much more intense, which means that they are
cooking much of the landscape," says Wallace-Wells, author of The
Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming. We also hear from
Cree/Iroquois/French journalist Brandi Morin, who just returned from
reporting on the wildfires raging in the remote Indigenous community of
Fort Chipewyan in Canada's North, which she calls the "epicenter of the
effects of climate change because it's downstream from one of the
largest oil production developments in the world, Alberta's oil sands."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OWYgOzEduE
Transcript https://www.democracynow.org/2023/6/8/wildfires_climate_crisis

/[ Jem Bendell ]/
*Conversation with Jem Bendell, part 1: is industrial capitalism coming
to an end?*
Lowimpact TV
Jun 23, 2023
This is the first part of a conversation between Dave Darby of
Lowimpact.org and Jem Bendell, professor of sustainability leadership at
the University of Cumbria, and author of the now famous 2018 Deep
Adaptation paper that claimed that we’re on an inevitable path to
civilisational collapse.

Transcript of interview, with links to organisations and information
mentioned in the video:
https://www.lowimpact.org/posts/conversation-with-jem-bendell-part-1-is-industrial-capitalism-coming-to-an-end

We’re interviewing key players in the new economy, to: a) bring their
work to a wider audience b) try to find ways to co-ordinate their
efforts c) stimulate debate d) help to build the new economy.

Lowimpact.org: https://www.lowimpact.org/

JemBendell.com: https://jembendell.com/

Breaking Together:
https://schumacherinstitute.org.uk/product/jem-bendell-book/

Deep Adaptation: https://jembendell.com/2019/05/15/deep-adaptation-versions/

Here’s what we mean by new economy:
https://www.lowimpact.org/categories/low-impact-economy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPjMWBEAm3M

/[ Becwith explanins some recent papers ]/
*Crazy Wavy Greenland Jet Stream Blocking Results from Extensive Snow
Cover Melt over North America*
Paul Beckwith
Jul 4, 2023
The jet stream waviness these days is utterly insane, and causing huge
negative consequences for humanity.

The main purpose of this video chat is to discuss a brand new peer
reviewed paper just released last week that connects a huge high
pressure dome that occurs often in summer months over Greenland with the
ever increasing rapid snow cover melt over North America in the spring
months, mostly May and June. The jet streams basically form an omega
block, with exceptional high pressure, cloudless skies, and heat over
Greenland, and extreme weather events associated with this jet stream
pattern at lower latitudes.

Arctic Temperature Amplification has greatly increased, and now main
stream scientific papers and articles are saying it is 4x (they
incorrectly said, en masse, that it was 2x for many years). One of the
jet stream patterns that commonly establishes now is an omega block with
a high pressure region over Greenland. Not only does this pattern lead
to surface ice melt on Greenland doubling over the rates used in the
large scale sophisticated climate models, but it is warming a large
region of the North Atlantic Ocean, which is seeing SST’s (Sea Surface
Temperatures) 5 to 6 C above previous highs, which is basically off the
scale.

With jet streams being much wavier and setting up persistent blocks, we
are seeing very intense, widespread heatwaves around the planet, for
example in Mexico and Texas, where temperatures have reached about 50 C
and temperature/humidity conditions have essentially briefly reached wet
bulb uninhabitable states. Heatwaves are occurring in numerous other
places like China and India. Much of the boreal forest regions in Canada
have had heatwaves resulting in uncontrollable unprecedented wildfires
burning over 8 million hectares, or about 3% of Canada’s boreal forests.

In the southern hemisphere, wavy jet streams are bringing extensive heat
down to Antarctica, and sea ice extent has dropped off a cliff by 4 or 5
standard deviations below previous record lows.

Add an El Niño to the equation, and it is obvious that numerous climate
records will be obliterated over the next few years, and humanity is in
for a very precarious and rough ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6o6nma12vY

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*July 6, 2010 */
July 6, 2010: Washington Post writer Ezra Klein observes:

    "There's a range of likely outcomes from a tax on carbon, and we can
    handle most of them. There's also a range of outcomes from radical
    changes in the planet's climate, and we've really no idea which we
    can handle, and which we can't. We don't even really know what that
    range looks like. And although a tax can be undone or reformed,
    there's no guarantee that we can reverse hundreds of years of rapid
    greenhouse gas buildup in the atmosphere. If you want proof, look at
    our inability to deal with an underwater oil spill, and consider how
    much more experience we have repairing oil rigs than reversing
    concentrations of gases in the atmosphere.

    "One of the oddities of the global warming debate, in fact, is that
    the side that's usually skeptical of government intervention is
    potentially setting up a future in which the government is
    intervening on a planetary scale. I don't think of myself as
    particularly skeptical of the feds, but I'm a lot more comfortable
    with their ability to levy a tax than their capacity to reform the
    atmosphere. That's why, when faced with the choice between being
    risk averse about a tax or about the planet, I tend to choose the
    planet."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/07/the_case_for_being_careful_wit.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli