[✔️] July 24, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Inslee. "fuse burning", Wildfires in Rhodes, Arctic heat coming, New Normal, Greenland heatwave, Nick Breeze treaty,

Mon Jul 24 16:34:36 EDT 2023

/*July*//*24, 2023*/

/[  He's my governor -- video interview
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/earth-screaming-us-gov-inslee-calls-climate-action/story?id=101581760
] /
*'The Earth is screaming at us': Gov. Inslee calls for climate action
amid record heat*
Washington state's leader said voters must reject "climate deniers" like
Trump.
By Caleigh Bartash
July 23, 2023,

"The fuse has been burning for decades, and now the climate change bomb
has gone off. The scientists are telling us that this is the new age.
This is the age of consequences."

Earth's 20 hottest days ever recorded have all occurred this July, amid
scorching heat impacting hundreds of millions of people around the
world. In the United States, cities in the South and Southwest have
experienced record streaks of high temperatures, including Phoenix,
which has had 23 consecutive days when the temperature reached at least
110 degrees.

Despite this unprecedented heat wave, the "good news," Inslee said on
"This Week," is "we can do this. We're electrifying our transportation
fleet. We're electrifying our homes."...
"This is a solvable problem. But we need to stop using fossil fuels,"
Inslee said. "That is the only solution to this massive assault on
humanity."

He touted Washington state's record on the issue: "This is not just
something for the federal government. States can act." Embracing
alternative fuels, battery production and more has financial as well as
moral value, Inslee said, describing it as "inventing a new economy."

But there is no time to waste, he contended. When pressed by Raddatz on
how to persuade climate change skeptics like Trump and his supporters,
who dismiss the scientific consensus about what's happening, Inslee said
the solution was simple.

"We can't wait for Donald Trump to figure this out. We don't have time
to mess around to wait for this knucklehead to figure this out," he
said. "We just got to make sure he's not in office. And the way we do
this is vote against climate deniers. Vote against people who refuse to
assist this moral and economic crisis that we have."...
- -
Inslee also slammed Florida's Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who like
Trump is running for president in 2024. Inslee referenced unusually high
water temperatures off the coast of Florida, which could significantly
affect marine life in coral reefs, according to the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration...
- -
"When Ron DeSantis wants to go swim, he can't because the water is like
a sauna," Inslee said.

Raddatz pressed him on how to get other countries, such as China -- the
No. 1 emitter of carbon dioxide -- invested in climate change as a
worldwide issue, given that officials have acknowledged any truly
effective solution must be collective.

In a separate appearance on "This Week," Republican Rep. Michael McCaul
of Texas agreed that the warming climate is concerning but said China
must be pushed to do its fair share.

"Time is running out. ... So what do you do? How do you bring others
together?" Raddatz asked Inslee.

"We need to lead. And we need to lead not just from a moral standpoint
but from our self-interest standpoint," Inslee said. "We need to build
these jobs here and build these economies here."
Cities like Palm Springs, California, have been feeling the effects of
the extremely high temperatures in the South and Southwest U.S.

In a "This Week" interview on Sunday, Palm Springs Mayor Grace Elena
Garner said hot weather is not unusual for her desert city in the
Coachella Valley.

But as a lifelong resident, Garner said the extended period of
triple-digit days is less typical and more dangerous.
- -
"We have workers who are outside every day doing gardening, working on
A/C repair -- and then, of course, our unhoused -- and those populations
are really getting the brunt of this impact," she said.

Firefighters and the local hospital have also had to respond to more
heat-related emergencies, she said.
"What I'm concerned about is the rest of the country, the rest of the
world, who is experiencing this extreme heat for the very first time,"
Garner said. "When your body isn't used to these high temperatures, it
can go into a shock."

Her city is monitoring the potential stress on its electrical grid and
is working to provide cooling centers and shelters for people without
homes while creating more shaded public areas, Garner said.

Still, "we absolutely need more support," she said, such as funding for
electric vehicles, more shade construction and more housing.

"We need to reduce the impacts of climate change," Garner said. "We are
just going to see this get worse and worse."
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/earth-screaming-us-gov-inslee-calls-climate-action/story?id=101581760

/[ sort of a disaster movie - from Reuters  ]/
*Rhodes wildfire forces thousands of evacuations, tourists flee*
By Fedja Grulovic
July 23, 2023

    -- Greece moves 19,000 people to safety, some by boat
    -- Tourists flee hotels, gather on beaches
    -- "We went from paradise to hell," tourist says
    -- Operators cancel flights to Rhodes
    -- Climate change exacerbates heat waves

RHODES, Greece, July 23 (Reuters) - Thousands of tourists and residents
fleeing wildfires on the Greek island of Rhodes took refuge in schools
and shelters on Sunday, with many evacuated on private boats as flames
threatened resorts and coastal villages.

Thousands spent the night on beaches and streets during what Greece said
was its biggest safe transport of residents and tourists in emergency
conditions.

Some 19,000 people were moved from homes and hotels overnight as fires
burning since Wednesday gathered pace, tearing through forests until the
flames reached coastal resorts on the island's south-eastern coast...
Some holidaymakers said they walked for miles in scorching heat to reach
safety. The fires left trees black and skeletal. Dead animals lay in the
road near burnt-out cars.

Rhodes is a hugely popular holiday destination, particularly with
visitors from Britain.

Tour operators Jet2, TUI and Correndon cancelled flights leaving for
Rhodes, which lies southeast of mainland Greece and is famous for its
beaches and historic sites...
- -
Coastguard vessels and private boats carried more than 3,000 tourists
from beaches on Saturday. Many people fled hotels when huge flames
reached the seaside villages of Kiotari, Gennadi, Pefki, Lindos, Lardos
and Kalathos. Crowds gathered in streets under a red sky while smoke
hung over deserted shorelines.

Pictures and videos posted by tourists on social media showed local
residents using their own cars or bundling tourists into trucks and
pick-ups to take them to safety.

In Lindos, famed for an acropolis on a massive rock within medieval
walls, a blaze charred the hillside and buildings.

Thanasis Virinis, a vice mayor of Rhodes, told Mega television on Sunday
that between 4,000 and 5,000 people were in temporary accommodation.

Evacuees were taken to conference centres and school buildings, where
they were given food, water and medical assistance, authorities said...
- -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlXACucYz4

/[ The flow of major oceanic currents - and SSP --  12 min video ]/
*Arctic heat is coming our way. And fast!*
Just Have a Think
Jul 23, 2023
Arctic temperatures are rising at least three times faster than the
global average. That's causing a whole raft of very unwanted
consequences in our global climate system. Now a new research paper has
analysed the fundamental long term changes in the way heat is carried
into the Arctic Ocean from the much warmer Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
And it's not great news!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8erFXZmp7fo

/[ 16 min video -- "Normal" climate now means relentless incremental
heat and destabilization ]/
*The new normal: Extreme temperatures in Europe | ARTE Europe Weekly*
ARTE.tv Documentary
Jul 23, 2023  #arteeuropeweekly #temperatures #wildfireseason
Temperature records 🌡 are being smashed across Europe 🇪🇺– and it is
going to get hotter. Greece 🇬🇷 is hoping to recruit more volunteer
firefighters 👩‍🚒 to tackle its increasingly long wildfire 🔥 season,
while city authorities look to urban design and green innovation 💚 to
confront climate change ☀️.
The new normal: Extreme temperatures in Europe | ARTE Europe Weekly
  🗓  Available until the 21/08/2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlXACucYz4

/[ Greenland is melting - Ice scientist explains where and why ]/
*record setting July 2023 Greenland heatwave alert*
**Jason Box
Jul 23, 2023
a data dive reveals parts of Greenland have record setting melt losses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nagmRzCMEVM

/[ Discussing the need -- no longer a denial.  Every nation wants to use
the last barrel ]/
*Summary Version: A Treaty To End Fossil Fuels - Tzeporah Berman 1*
Nick Breeze ClimateGenn
Premiered 7-23-2023  ClimateGenn #podcast  produced by Nick Breeze
Join Via Youtube or Patreon.com/genncc to get full interviews ahead of
the public scheduling.
A fossil fuel non-proliferation treaty is exactly what is needed to
switch off the fossil fuel pipelines that are driving crazily hot
temperatures, flash flooding, and droughts that directly threaten the
global food production system.

In this ClimateGenn episode I speak with the Chair of the Fossil Fuel
Non-Proliferation Treaty, Tzepora Berman. Tzepora and her colleagues are
designing the framework by which we can begin to switch off the fossil
fuel supply that is the root cause of what is a real-time climate emergency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcI2HkVFWtM

/[The news archive - looking back when we were living on the "Planet of
the Year"]/
/*July 24, 1988*/
December 24, 1988: TIME Magazine names "Endangered Earth" its "Planet of
the Year" for 1988, citing in part rising concerns over global warming.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/28176/TIME-MAGAZINE-PICKS-EARTH-IN-LIEU-OF-MAN-OF-THE-YEAR.html

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19890102,00.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli