[✔️] March 5, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Survival of the Richest - Douglas Rushkoff

Sun Mar 5 11:39:34 EST 2023

/*March 5, 2023*/

/[ The origins of his book - he has some great and important rants in
this video - worth hearing  ]/
*Douglas Rushkoff | Survival of the Richest: Escape Fantasies of the
Tech Billionaires*
Author Events
Sep 26, 2022
Recorded September 20, 2022
In conversation with Kevin Werbach

Acclaimed for their intersectional explorations of cyberculture,
religion, currency, and politics, Douglas Rushkoff’s 20 bestselling
books include Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus, Program or Be
Programmed, Present Shock, and Media Virus. He also is the host of the
Team Human podcast, writes a column for Medium, and created the PBS
Frontline documentaries Generation Like, The Persuaders, and Merchants
of Cool. A professor of media theory and digital economics at City
University of New York, Queens College, he was selected as one of the
world’s 10 most influential intellectuals by MIT, was the first winner
of the Neil Postman Award for Career Achievement in Public Intellectual
Activity, is a recipient of the Marshall McLuhan Award, and has received
many other accolades. In Survival of the Richest, Rushkoff reveals the
flawed mindset that has led out-of-touch tech titans to prepare for a
societal catastrophe they could simply avert through practical measures.

Chair of the Department of Legal Studies and Business Ethics at the
University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, Ken Werbach is the author
of For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business and
The Blockc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gec4TXdSwM

- -

/[ New book reviewed in a video opinion by Beckwith ]/
*The Billionaire Mindset to Survive Global Societal Collapse like Abrupt
Climate System Change*
Paul Beckwith
1,272 views  Mar 4, 2023
Over the last week or so I read the new book by Douglas Rushkoff called
“Survival of the Richest: Escape Fantasies of the Tech Billionaires”.

The book gives many fascinating insights into the Mindset of many
billionaires, their worldview that we are heading to societal collapse,
and how they are hoping to survive in bunkers or on remote islands in
the event of global catastrophe.

The core of the book is how Rushkoff was invited to an exclusive resort
in the middle of the desert, for one-third his annual professor salary,
to what he thought was a talk to a hundred of the wealthiest people.
Instead, he met with five billionaires and peppered with questions such
as “New Zealand or Alaska?”; what’s the best place to be to survive
climate catastrophe causing societal collapse.

I found the book fascinating, so I chat about the ideas and thoughts of
the super elite, who are much more concerned about saving their own
hides than they are about the well-being of the people on the planet;
they just want to escape. They make little effort to “save humanity” and
are absolutely certain societal order and civilization will soon
collapse. The more money and power they accumulate, the less empathy
they have for others, borne out by studies measuring brain activity
patterns.

I have often said that we need to take the entire military budget of the
USA (about 800 Billion $ for 2023) and use it to fight climate change
for a few years. That’s a tough sell, but one billionaire near the top
of the heap has about one third of that amount, so the top three or four
billionaires could match that amount. Utopian, I know, but times are
getting very desperate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU0c1oKyauQ

- -

/[ Get it... this is e//ditors' pick  Best Books of 2022//  - Amazon site ]/
*Survival of the Richest: Escape Fantasies of the Tech Billionaires
Hardcover – September 6, 2022*
by Douglas Rushkoff  (Author)
Editors' pick  Best Books of 2022
Named One of the Most Anticipated Books of 2022 by Kirkus and Literary Hub

The tech elite have a plan to survive the apocalypse: they want to leave
us all behind.

Five mysterious billionaires summoned theorist Douglas Rushkoff to a
desert resort for a private talk. The topic? How to survive the “Event”:
the societal catastrophe they know is coming. Rushkoff came to
understand that these men were under the influence of The Mindset, a
Silicon Valley–style certainty that they and their cohort can break the
laws of physics, economics, and morality to escape a disaster of their
own making―as long as they have enough money and the right technology.

In Survival of the Richest, Rushkoff traces the origins of The Mindset
in science and technology through its current expression in missions to
Mars, island bunkers, AI futurism, and the metaverse. In a dozen urgent,
electrifying chapters, he confronts tech utopianism, the datafication of
all human interaction, and the exploitation of that data by
corporations. Through fascinating characters―master programmers who want
to remake the world from scratch as if redesigning a video game and
bankers who return from Burning Man convinced that incentivized
capitalism is the solution to environmental disasters―Rushkoff explains
why those with the most power to change our current trajectory have no
interest in doing so. And he shows how recent forms of anti-mainstream
rebellion―QAnon, for example, or meme stocks―reinforce the same
destructive order.

This mind-blowing work of social analysis shows us how to transcend the
landscape The Mindset created―a world alive with algorithms and
intelligences actively rewarding our most selfish tendencies―and
rediscover community, mutual aid, and human interdependency. In a
thundering conclusion, Survival of the Richest argues that the only way
to survive the coming catastrophe is to ensure it doesn’t happen in the
first place.

https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Richest-Escape-Fantasies-Billionaires/dp/0393881067/ref=sr_1_1

- -

/[The news archive - looking back at moments of transformation ]/
/*March 5, 2014*/
March 5, 2014:
MSNBC's Ed Schultz declares that he was wrong to support the Keystone XL
pipeline.

http://www.msnbc.com/the-ed-show/watch/i-was-wrong-ed-says-dont-build-pipeline-183554627935

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli