[✔️] May 4, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Disinformation uncovered, Children's rights stolen, Obsession with the present, obscured the future, Climate Comedy attempt, Heartland attack

Thu May 4 09:26:04 EDT 2023

/*May*//*4, 2023*/

/[ disinformation battle expose' ]/
*Oil Company Gave $200K to Group Accusing Pipeline Opponents of Taking
Secret Money*
Alberta-based Indian Resource Council quietly received funding from
CNRL, corporate documents reveal.
By Geoff Dembicki
May 1, 2023

A First Nations advocacy group whose leader has accused pipeline
protesters of being beholden to hidden financial interests has taken
hundreds of thousands of dollars from one of Canada’s top oil and gas
producers, newly reviewed corporate documents reveal.

Stephen Buffalo, CEO of the Alberta-based Indian Resource Council, is
one of the most outspoken Indigenous voices in favor of oil and gas
expansion, testifying several times to Canada’s federal government and
appearing frequently in mainstream media outlets.

On multiple occasions he’s used his platform to attack the credibility
of First Nations people and environmentalists who oppose new oil and gas
development, alleging they are being controlled by secretive funders and
one time asking “who’s really pulling the string here?”

But Buffalo’s organization has been quietly receiving contributions from
Canadian Natural (CNRL), one of the largest oil and gas producers in
Canada. That’s according to recent federal disclosures, which show that
CNRL gave $200,000 to the Indian Resource Council between 2020 and 2022.

Those disclosures are required under Canada’s Extractive Sector
Transparency Measures Act, an anti-corruption law requiring companies to
report payments to governments and other entities.

Neither CNRL nor the Indian Resource Council responded to detailed
questions about the contributions...
- -
“So, when you see this activism, it’s somewhat challenging because we
don’t know who’s speaking anymore,” Buffalo told APTN News. “The hard
part again is who’s really pulling the string here?”

Yet that same year the Indian Resource Council received a $100,000
contribution from CNRL, which describes itself as “a large producer of
natural gas in Canada with a vast land base, significant owned and
operated infrastructure and a deep inventory of drill to fill
opportunities.”

CNRL’s drilling rights in gas-rich regions of northwest Alberta and
northeast British Columbia are “one of the largest among our peers,” the
company says.

Chief Na’Moks said the only vested interest he has is ensuring the
health of the Wet’suwet’en people and the territory they’ve lived on for
thousands of years. “We look at the long term, we look centuries ahead,”
he said. “What we’re trying to do is protect what is left of the clean
water, the clean land, our access to the land.”
https://www.desmog.com/2023/05/01/oil-company-gave-200k-to-group-accusing-pipeline-opponents-of-taking-secret-money/

/[ Children should own their future, but they've been robbed ]/
*Protecting Children in a Warming World | Carter Dillard*
Planet: Critical
May 3, 2023  #politicalcrisis #climatecrisis #socialcrisis
The climate fight is a fight for children’s rights.

When Carter Dillard began researching family planning systems he found a
fallacy in international policy: The Children’s Rights Convention,
ratified by the UN, entitles children to health, education, well-being
and fulfilled potential—but no country implements family planning
systems around these rights. Family planning systems are based around
what parents want, not what children need. Every country, in effect, is
breaking the Children’s Rights Convention.

Why? For economic growth.

Carter’s research shows a series of policy interventions in the 20th
century made family planning a private matter. This absolved states of
the responsibility to invest in children and redistribute wealth, whilst
guaranteeing a boom in population to feed the economic machine.

“If we'd had to invest in children to give them everything they need to
ensure that children are born in what, in the conditions that comply
with the convention, we would not have had growth.”

Carter is the author of the Justice as a Fair Start in Life:
Understanding the Right to Have Children, and the Policy Director of the
Fair Start Movement, an organisation committed to raising awareness of
the Children’s Rights Convention. They are currently petitioning the UN
Human Rights Council claiming the UN has misinterpreted the right to
have children, and have forthcoming constitutional litigation in the
USA. He joins me to discuss this work, his research into the history of
family planning, and the impact of climate change on children. He also
provides a vision for reframing family planning reform as an active
climate policy which could advocate systemic change through one simple
message: that everybody deserves a fair start in life.
00:00 Intro
02:59 The Fair Start Movement
06:38 Population growth to create labourers & wealth
09:18 The Children's Rights Convention
11:57 Why parenthood became a matter of personal privacy
16:44 How nations are breaking the Children's Rights Convention
18:45 The impact of global warming on children
21:42 The myth of development
26:11 Direct Action to invest in children's futures
29:35 Litigation to force redistribution
35:31 When governments ignore pledges and conventions
42:26 Bilateral approach to financial redistribution
46:58 The planetary cost of large vs small families
55:10 A vision for a world which cares for children
01:01:01 Who would you like to platform?
01:02:15 Outro
🔴 Fair Start Movement: https://fairstartmovement.org/
🔴 Carter's book: – *Justice as a Fair Start in Life: Understanding the
Right to Have Children:* https://www.elivapress.com/en/book/book-2237832918/
🌎 Support Planet: Critical: https://www.patreon.com/planetcritical
🌎 Website: https://www.planetcritical.com/
🌎 Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetCritical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUsFE0RopWM

/[ "All Things Considered" Humans are ill-suited to this "problem from
Hell" ]/
*How our perception of time shapes our approach to climate change*
January 4, 2023
Heard on All Things Considered
Most people are focused on the present: today, tomorrow, maybe next
year. Fixing your flat tire is more pressing than figuring out if you
should use an electric car. Living by the beach is a lot more fun than
figuring out when your house will be underwater because of sea level rise.

That basic human relationship with time makes climate change a tricky
problem.

"I consider climate change the policy problem from hell because you
almost couldn't design a worse fit for our underlying psychology, or our
institutions of decision-making," says Anthony Leiserowitz, the director
of the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication.

*Our obsession with the present obscures the future*
Those institutions — including companies and governments that ultimately
have the power to dramatically reduce greenhouse gas emissions — can be
even more obsessed with the present than individuals are.

For example, says Leiserowitz, many companies are focused on quarterly
earnings and growth. That helps drive short-term behavior, such as
leasing new land to drill for fossil fuels, that makes long-term climate
change worse.

And there are also big incentives for political leaders to think
short-term. "The president gets elected every four years. Members of the
Senate get elected every six years. And members of the House get elected
every two years," Leiserowitz points out, "so they tend to operate on a
much shorter time cycle than this problem, climate change, which is
unfolding over decades."

There are deadlines looming for those elected leaders. The Biden
administration pledged to cut emissions in half by 2030. By 2050, humans
need to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions entirely in order to avoid
the most catastrophic effects of climate change later this century.

Fortunately, our collective focus on the present also offers hints,
psychologists say, about how to harness that hyperfocus on the present
to inspire action.

*To spur action, speed up the psychological rewards for addressing
climate change now*
For example, there are ways to highlight the quick payoff for addressing
climate change. In the political realm, that could mean that an elected
official gets more votes because they support policies that reduce
emissions. The promise of a benefit in the next election may be more
galvanizing than the goal of protecting future generations, even if the
latter has more moral weight.

"The benefits that we get today are more salient, and we want them more
than benefits that may be larger, but will accrue in the future,"
explains Jennifer Jacquet, a researcher and associate professor of
environmental studies at New York University who studies the psychology
of collective action, including on climate change.

Jacquet says the huge spending bill passed last year by Congress, called
the Inflation Reduction Act, is another example of using our focus on
the present to drive climate-conscious behavior. The bill includes
financial incentives for people who buy electric vehicles or install
solar panels.

"They're trying to speed up the benefits," says Jacquet. "That's smart.
That's good. That plays into how we think about things."

*Extreme weather is starting to catch everyone's attention*
In some ways, our focus on the present is less and less of a problem as
climate change makes itself more and more obvious today — in our daily
lives. Everyone on Earth is experiencing the effects of a hotter planet.
That makes it a problem of the present, not of the future.

That immediacy is already showing up in how Americans view climate
change, according to Leiserowitz, who has been leading an annual poll on
the topic for more than 15 years. As extreme weather is becoming more
common, he says support for climate policies is also growing, especially
at the local level.

For example, the vast majority of respondents in a September 2021 poll
said they support local governments providing money to help make homes
more energy efficient, to increase public transportation and to install
bike lanes. And the majority of respondents supported investments in
renewable energy.
*
**There's no time to waste*
Widespread public support for climate policies can help push politicians
and corporate leaders to act quickly – which is important, because
scientists warn that greenhouse gas emissions need to drop dramatically,
and immediately, to avoid runaway warming later this century.

"We have big societal choices to make," says Leiserowitz, and those
changes need to happen now. In the present. "People working together to
demand action by their leaders is going to be an absolutely critical piece."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/01/04/1139782291/time-perception-climate-change-risk

/[ local shows climate humor is rare and difficult ]/
*April 2023 FULL SHOW: CU Boulder Inside the Greenhouse climate comedy*
Climate Comedy
May 3, 2023 in Boulder, Colorado Friday, April 21 2023 with students
from Creative Climate Communication class performing and with
professional comedian Chuck Nice headlining & emceeing.
filmed by Tyler Graim and Carlos Malache
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydkw0WYClZQ

/[The news archive - looking back at Heartland attack ]/
/*May 4, 2012*/
May 4, 2012:  The Chicago-based climate-change-denial outfit known as
the Heartland Institute puts up, and quickly pulls down, a digital
billboard with an image of killer Ted

Kaczynski next to the words: "I still believe in global warming. Do
you?" The controversy surrounding the ad campaign prompts several major
corporations to wash their hands of Heartland, and also prompts several
Heartland employees to resign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V5Sx3A1Mxk

http://grist.org/list/heartland-institute-going-broke-due-to-dickish-billboard-campaign/

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/Felsenthal-Files/June-2012/Chicagos-Heartland-Institute-and-its-Unabomber-Billboards/

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

/ to explore the archive

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli