[✔️] May 22, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Home battery, How to quit cars, US water low estimates, Gaps in Assessments, Joplin tornado of 2011

Mon May 22 09:56:04 EDT 2023

/*May*//*22, 2023*/

/[ Electric power inside the home --  video ] /
*Solid state energy storage for your home. Really?*
Just Have a Think
May 21, 2023
Solid state batteries? When will they ever actually arrive? Well,
according to a Florida based start up called Amptricity, they have
arrived already and they are available right now for delivery to your
home in 2023. So has this news caused Elon Musk to quake in his
entrepreneurial boots, or is the marketing hype getting a little ahead
of its skis? Lets take a look.
AMPTRICITY WEBSITE https://www.amptricity.com/
Video Transcripts available at our website http://www.justhaveathink.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcmC_BI_noE&t=4s

/[ The New Yorker has poetic insight ]/
*How to Quit Cars*
They crowd streets, belch carbon, bifurcate communities, and destroy the
urban fabric. Will we ever overcome our addiction?
By Adam Gopnik
May 15, 2023...

    The grip of the car as a metaphor for liberty is as firm as that of
    guns, if perhaps with similarly destructive results. Consider the
    paranoia unleashed when urban planners recently disseminated the
    benevolent idea of the “fifteen-minute city.” The model is based on
    places such as New York and Paris, where most goods, from groceries
    to haircuts, can indeed be found within a fifteen-minute walk of
    your home—in many New York neighborhoods, it’s closer to five, and
    in some Paris neighborhoods closer to two. Yet its enemies decried
    an anti-car conspiracy led by statists who wanted to force citizens
    into tiny, concentration-camp-like areas from which they would have
    no exit. The French academic Carlos Moreno, the most recent
    proponent of the fifteen-minute ideal, has had to deny being in any
    way anti-car. (He is anti-car, but in a gentle, vehicle-reducing
    manner, not a vehicle-eliminating one.)...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/22/carmageddon-daniel-knowles-book-review-paved-paradise-henry-grabar

/[ Inside Climate News ]/
*Water, Water Everywhere, Yet Local U.S. Planners Are Lowballing Their
Estimates*
A study finds that more than half of American communities are basing
their long-term preparations for coastal flooding on numbers that
underestimate future sea level rise.
By Charlie Miller
May 20, 2023
Communities across the U.S. are underestimating future sea level rise,
according to a study published in Earth’s Future, a journal from the
American Geophysical Union. The study found that more than half of the
54 surveyed locations in the U.S. underestimate the upper end of future
sea level rise, compared to regional projections from the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

“Our goal was to understand how well scientific advances in
understanding sea-level rise are being incorporated into the local
assessment reports,” said lead author Andra Garner, assistant professor
at Rowan University in New Jersey. ​The answer in the report? Not very
well...
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/20052023/sea-level-rise-underestimates/

- -

/[ Here's the research paper ]/
*Evaluating Knowledge Gaps in Sea-Level Rise Assessments From the United
States*
Andra J. Garner, Sarah E. Sosa, Fangyi Tan, Christabel Wan Jie Tan,
Gregory G. Garner, Benjamin P. Horton
First published: 23 January 2023 https://doi.org/10.1029/2022EF003187
*Abstract*

    There have been many scientific advances regarding future sea-level
    projections, however it is unclear if these have been transferred to
    assessment reports used by stakeholders. Here, we present a
    first-of-its-kind comprehensive analysis of regional sea-level rise
    (SLR) assessments for the United States (U.S.). We identify
    variations in time horizons over which regions plan for SLR, with 25
    projections from the U.S. Northeast and West that extend to 2150 or
    beyond, but no projections from the U.S. South beyond 2100. The
    majority of 2100 projections from the U.S. Northeast (77%) and West
    (83%) include ranges of future SLR, while 88% of projections from
    the U.S. South include only single estimates. At least 56% of U.S.
    communities in the database underestimate the upper end of future
    SLR compared to the regional projections of the Intergovernmental
    Panel on Climate Change Sixth Assessment Report.

*Key Points*
More than half of communities in the United States (U.S.) underestimate
the upper end of future sea-level rise (SLR) compared to projections
from the most recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report

There are no long-term (beyond 2100) projections of SLR from assessment
reports in the U.S. South

Most projections from the U.S. Northeast and West use ranges of SLR;
projections from the U.S. South often use single estimates

*Plain Language Summary*
It is unknown if scientific advances are readily incorporated into local
SLR assessments used by the public for decision making. To better
understand where knowledge gaps exist in SLR assessments, we construct
and analyze a database of the most recent local assessments for the
United States (U.S.). We find differences in assessments among regions,
including the time horizons used for future projections, and varying
preferences for single values of SLR versus ranges that better capture
uncertainty. Over half of U.S. communities included in our analysis
underestimate the high end of future SLR compared to the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Sixth Assessment Report...
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2022EF003187

/[ The news archive - looking back at a powerful tornado ]/
/*May 22, 2011 */
May 22, 2011: 158 people are killed after a severe tornado in Joplin,
Missouri.

    Joplin, a city of about 49,000 people, sits at the edge of the Ozark
    Mountain region.

    Mr. Bettes, the meteorologist, said that the storm that hit Joplin
    had been hard to read — which was why his crew was willing to travel
    so close to it. “It was a rain-wrapped tornado,” he said. “When it
    is obscured by rain, you can’t tell what the danger is.”

    One Joplin resident, Donald Davis, described to The Springfield
    News-Leader driving through the city, saying that Joplin High
    School’s windows were broken out and part of its roof was missing. A
    church across the street was demolished, he said. He also described
    damage to a grocery store and a large apartment building.

    “They’re flattened,” Mr. Davis said. “You just can’t believe it.
    There must have been 150 units. One lady had a bathrobe around her.
    Others just had blankets around them.”

    The scene at St. John’s hospital was equally overwhelming. “I spoke
    to a couple of nurses who were on the sixth floor,” said Mike
    Jenkins, a senior producer at Weather Channel who was with Mr.
    Bettes at the hospital. “They told me they received a warning, that
    a tornado or possible tornado was 20 minutes away. They took their
    precaution, ran through their steps, and five minutes later the
    windows were blown out, people were blown across the hall.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/23/us/23tornado.html?_r=0

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

/ to explore the archive

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli