[✔️] May 24, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Predicting human costs, modern slavery, Oreskes, book 'the Big Myth', Heat island deaths, Heat Islands, Dolly Parton sings. release, recall Al Gore - Inconvenianet truth.

Wed May 24 07:52:50 EDT 2023

/*May*//*24, 2023*/

/[ Significant studies will lead to predictions  ]/
Published: 22 May 2023
*Quantifying the human cost of global warming*
Timothy M. Lenton, Chi Xu, Jesse F. Abrams, Ashish Ghadiali, Sina
Loriani, Boris Sakschewski, Caroline Zimm, Kristie L. Ebi, Robert R.
Dunn, Jens-Christian Svenning & Marten Scheffer
Nature Sustainability (2023)Cite this article
635 Altmetric
*Abstract*

    The costs of climate change are often estimated in monetary terms,
    but this raises ethical issues. Here we express them in terms of
    numbers of people left outside the ‘human climate niche’—defined as
    the historically highly conserved distribution of relative human
    population density with respect to mean annual temperature. We show
    that climate change has already put ~9% of people (>600 million)
    outside this niche. By end-of-century (2080–2100), current policies
    leading to around 2.7 °C global warming could leave one-third
    (22–39%) of people outside the niche. Reducing global warming from
    2.7 to 1.5 °C results in a ~5-fold decrease in the population
    exposed to unprecedented heat (mean annual temperature ≥29 °C). The
    lifetime emissions of ~3.5 global average citizens today (or ~1.2
    average US citizens) expose one future person to unprecedented heat
    by end-of-century. That person comes from a place where emissions
    today are around half of the global average. These results highlight
    the need for more decisive policy action to limit the human costs
    and inequities of climate change.

/[ Correlation, not causation -  cultural, scientific, equity and the
morality of trade ]/
*How Modern Slavery Impacts the Environment with Kevin Bales*
May/5/2023
There are 45 million enslaved people in the world today. The links
between slavery, conflict, environmental destruction, economics and
consumption began to strengthen and evolve in the 20th century. The
availability of people who might be enslaved dramatically increased in
line with population growth. According to Kevin Bales, professor of
contemporary slavery and research director of the Rights Lab at the
University of Nottingham, the large and negative environmental impact of
modern slavery is just now coming to light.

Slave-based activities, like brick making and deforestation, are
estimated to generate 2.54 billion tonnes of CO2 per year – greater than
the individual emissions of all the world's nations except China and the
U.S. Globally, slaves are forced to do work that is highly destructive
to the environment. This work feeds directly into global consumption in
foodstuffs, in minerals – both precious and for electronics –
construction materials, clothing, and foodstuffs. Most of this work is
unregulated leading to extensive poisoning of watersheds, the
clear-cutting of forests, and enormous and unregulated emissions of
carcinogenic gases as well as CO2. Political corruption supports this
slave-based environmental destruction and its human damage.
                        [ or see on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW8nZG_eePs  ]
Kevin Bales, CMG, FRSA is Professor of Contemporary Slavery and Research
Director of the Rights Lab, University of Nottingham. He co-founded the
American NGO Free the Slaves. His 1999 book Disposable People: New
Slavery in the Global Economy has been published in twelve languages.
Desmond Tutu called it "a well researched, scholarly and deeply
disturbing expose of modern slavery." The film based on Disposable
People, which he co-wrote, won the Peabody Award and two Emmys. The
Association of British Universities named his work one of "100
World-Changing Discoveries." In 2007 he published Ending Slavery: How We
Free Today's Slaves (Grawemeyer Award). In 2009, with Ron Soodalter, he
published The Slave Next Door: Modern Slavery in the United States. In
2016 his research institute was awarded the Queens Anniversary Prize,
and he published Blood and Earth: Modern Slavery, Ecocide, and the
Secret to Saving the World. Check out his TEDTalk. Recorded on
3/14/2023. (#38614)
Sponsor(s): UC Berkeley Graduate Lectures
https://www.uctv.tv/shows/38614

/[ WBUR interviews Naomi Oreskes ]/
*The Big Myth' explores the belief that free markets are a fundamental
American right*
March 03, 2023
Scott TongEmiko Tamagawa
Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway know a provocative subject. Their
best-selling 2010 book "Merchants of Doubt" explored how four physicists
laid the groundwork for climate change denial by arguing against
government regulation and in favor of the free market.

The idea of a pure, unadulterated free market and how it came to be is
the story in their new book, "The Big Myth: How American Business Taught
Us to Loathe Government and Love the Free Market." The book acknowledges
a useful nature of market forces to set prices and reward work. The myth
referenced in the title is market fundamentalism, says Oreskes, a
science historian at Harvard Univerisity.

“What we're trying to show in the book is how an ideal of the free
market in the singular was put forward by business interests in the
United States,” Oreskes says, “as a way to fight back against regulation
of the workplace, to fight back against people who are trying to limit
child labor and to persuade the American people that government
regulation of the marketplace was not in our interest.”

Market fundamentalism plays out in Republican opposition to action on
climate change and regulation of drugs like opioids, Oreskes says, as
well as tax cuts for the rich and income inequality. The latter come
from the idea that letting the rich do business will benefit everyone,
but evidence shows that’s not true.

“Not too many people today would stand up in public and say greed is
good. But people do continue to say that self-interest is good, that
self-interest drives entrepreneurs, it drives people to invent things
and be creative,” she says. “And that's true up to a point. But we also
know that self-interest has to be tempered against the common good, and
that when we have inadequate regulation of markets and workplaces,
people get hurt.”
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2023/02/28/big-myth-book-business

- -

/[ promoting the Big Myth ]/
*Book excerpt: 'The Big Myth: How American Business Taught Us to Loathe
Government and Love the Free Market'*
By Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway
Over the past several decades, American business has manufactured a myth
that has held us in its grip: the idea of “the magic of the marketplace.”

Some people call it market absolutism or market essentialism. In the
1990s, George Soros popularized the name we find most apt: market
fundamentalism. It’s a quasi-religious belief that the best way to
address our needs—whether economic or otherwise—is to let markets do
their thing, and not rely on government. Market fundamentalists treat
“The Market” as a proper noun: something unique and unto itself, that
has agency and even wisdom, that functions best when left unfettered and
unregulated, undisturbed and unperturbed. Government, according to the
myth, cannot improve the functioning of markets; it can only interfere.
Governments therefore need to stay out of the way, lest they “distort”
the market and prevent it from doing its “magic.” In the late twentieth
century, market fundamentalism was cloaked in the seemingly ancient
raiment of received wisdom.

Classical liberal economists—including Adam Smith—recognized that
government served essential functions, including building infrastructure
for everyone’s benefit, and regulating banks, which left to their own
devices could destroy an economy. They also recognized that taxation was
required to enable governments to perform those functions. But in the
early twentieth century, a group of self-styled “neo-liberals” shifted
economic and political thinking radically. They argued that any
government action in the marketplace, even well intentioned, compromised
the freedom of individuals to do as they pleased—and therefore put us on
the road to totalitarianism. Political and economic freedom were
“indivisible,” they insisted: any compromise to the latter was a threat
to the former—any compromise at all, even to address obvious ills like
child labor or workplace injury. Why did we ever come to accept a
worldview so impervious to facts? A worldview Smith himself, often
thought of as the father of free-market capitalism, would have rejected?

Between us we have been to all fifty states and lived in twelve,
including wilderness Alaska and a dying mill town in northern New
Hampshire. On our travels, we have found that market fundamentalism is
widespread in “blue” and “red” states alike, and that some version of it
underlies most climate change skepticism. Many people seem to take
Ronald Reagan’s view that “the government” is the problem, as it stands
ready to steal both their money and their freedom. When asked why they
hold these views—why they are skeptical that climate change is man-made
or that government can do anything about it—they often point to articles
they read in Fortune, Forbes, or the Wall Street Journal. As one of our
students put it, the most common answer, whether in Massachusetts or
Montana, was “markets, markets, markets.” Thus emerged the question that
we have spent the past decade studying: How did so many Americans come
to have so much faith in markets and so little faith in government?

Market fundamentalism is not just the belief that free markets are the
best means to run an economic system but also the belief that they are
the only means that will not ultimately destroy our other freedoms. It
is the belief in the primacy of economic freedom not just to generate
wealth but as a bulwark of political freedom. And it is the belief that
markets exist outside of politics and culture, so that it can be logical
to speak of leaving them “alone.”

As George Soros has summarized, “the doctrine of laissez-faire
capitalism holds that the common good is best served by the uninhibited
pursuit of self-interest.” That’s the core argument Adam Smith made in
1776 and contented capitalists have accepted ever since. Market
fundamentalists, however, depart from Smith by insisting there is no
“common good,” merely the sum of all the individual private goods. For
this reason, they reject government’s claims to represent “the people”:
there are only individuals who represent themselves, and they do this
most effectively not through their governments, even democratically
elected ones, but through free choices in free markets. Milton Friedman,
America’s most famous market fundamentalist, went so far as to argue
that voting was not democratic, because it could too easily be distorted
by special interests and because in any case most voters were ignorant.
But rather than consider how special interests might be mitigated or how
voters could be better informed, he maintained that true freedom was not
expressed in the voting booth. “The economic market provides a greater
degree of freedom than the political market,” Friedman said in South
Africa in 1976, as he encouraged the citizens of that country not to
fuss over apartheid, but to preserve and expand their market-based economy.

Friedman’s argument works when we are talking about the freedom to buy,
say, shoes of any type. But it fails when we consider the larger
picture, including deceptive advertising, aggressive and misleading
public relations campaigns, and what economists call “external costs”:
costs that are invisible to or misunderstood by the shoe buyers, or that
accrue to people who didn’t buy those shoes at all. Pollution is an
external cost. What happens when the shoe manufacturer dumps toxic
chemicals behind the plant and hides that fact from its workers,
investors, and customers? Friedman downplayed the problem by giving it
the friendly label of “neighborhood effects,” and claimed that any
remedy would almost always be worse than the disease, because of the
loss of freedoms or compromises to property rights typically associated
with government regulations. In some cases, he may have been right.
Regulations do compromise someone’s freedom in order to protect the
freedom (and welfare) of others. When it comes to pollution, the
“freedom” of factories to dump toxic wastes has been rightly rejected.
When it comes to climate change, the “freedom” of corporations to sell
oil, gas, and coal jeopardizes the rest of us. This creates a
fundamental dilemma for the fundamentalists. But rather than rethink
their arguments, market fundamentalists protect their worldview by
denying that climate change is real or asserting that somehow “The
Market” will fix it, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Like all good myths, the myth of the magic of the marketplace has a
kernel of truth. As any economist could tell you, markets can
efficiently allocate resources. Markets are good for getting productive
uses out of the inputs that create wealth. They are also good for
amassing information. Markets reveal a lot about what people want, how
far they are willing to go to get it, and how much they are willing to
pay for it. If efficiency were our only goal, then market fundamentalism
might make sense. But efficiency is a tool, not an end.

This raises a profound question: Is capitalism itself to blame for
climate change, as critics such as Naomi Klein and Andreas Malm argue?
Or the opioid crisis? Or the lack of affordable housing? We argue no:
the culprit is how we think about capitalism, and how it operates. The
culprit is market fundamentalist ideology, which denies capitalism’s
failures and refuses to endorse the best tool we have to address those
failures, which is democratic government. It also fails to acknowledge
the role of other tools available to us, like corporate governance.
Market fundamentalism touts the benefits and virtues of deregulation and
the value of economic freedom to the near eclipse of other concerns.

A group of individuals and institutions worked to make people believe
they had to choose between “The Market” and “The State,” between
unconstrained capitalism and Soviet-style centralized planning. But
there are all kinds of alternatives, and one important one is to see
governments and markets as complementary, not as opposing camps. Adam
Smith and other foundational thinkers understood their field of study as
one integrated discipline—political economy—yet today we (wrongly) treat
politics and economics as separate spheres.

Market fundamentalism perpetuates a mistake in categories, conflating
capitalism, which is an economic system, with democracy, which is a
political system. We think that the properly framed choice is not
capitalism versus tyranny; it is democracy versus tyranny, and
well-regulated capitalism versus poorly regulated capitalism. Whether
its advocates were cynical or sincere, market fundamentalism has hobbled
our response to a host of problems that face us today, threatening our
wellbeing and even the prosperity that markets are designed to deliver.
The rhetoric of the magic of the marketplace made meaningful
alternatives disappear.

This myth powers the enormous wealth gap between the top one percent and
the rest of us. It has been used to justify a sharp decline in the
safety and stability of the work most of us do to get by. It has blocked
the efforts we must take to reverse the heating of our planet and
protect the very existence of the world as we know it. The big myth’s
expiration date is long past due. Our futures depend on rejecting it.

 From "The Big Myth: How American Business Taught Us to Loathe
Government and Love the Free Market" by Naomi Oreskes & Erik M. Conway,
out now from Bloomsbury Publishing. Copyright © 2023 by Naomi Oreskes &
Erik M. Conway. All rights reserved.
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2023/02/28/big-myth-book-business

/[ it's warfare by any other name.   Once a group is defined, it gets
certified - from ClimateNexus ]/
*Climate Change and 'Heat Islands' Are Killing People Of Color:* Extreme
heat fueled by climate change kills more people in the US than any other
weather-related event each year, and those who are at the greatest risk
of dying are Black and brown people. People who die from extreme heat
are typically older, have underlying health conditions, and don’t have
access to air conditioning or any greenspace in their neighborhood. A
2021 study of the 175 largest urban areas in the US found that people of
color were more likely than white people to live on what are called
“heat islands,” where the buildings, roofs, roads, sidewalks, and
parking lots absorb and radiate the sun’s heat, while not providing any
trees, parks, ponds, or lakes that naturally cool the surrounding
landscape. Black people in New York City are twice as likely to die from
heat than their white counterparts, as there’s a 35-degree difference on
a hot day in the South Bronx compared to the Upper West Side. (The Root,
Derrick Z. Jackson column)
https://newsletter.climatenexus.org/heatislands

- -

/[ Anyone spending more than a few days in a city will be able to
certify this -- feeling different heat on their skin according to
neighborhood  ]/
*How Climate Change and 'Heat Islands' are Killing Black People*
The nation’s history of redlining and other forms of housing
discrimination means that climate change and the Black community are on
a deadly collision course.
By Derrick Z. Jackson
May 22, 2023
If the late Marvin Gaye could add climate change to his ecological
masterpiece “Mercy, Mercy Me,” he might ask: Where did all the cool
nights go? Heatwaves in the ‘hood, no shade from the sky, no AC to keep
grandma from dying.

Why might the late Motown crooner sing that? Because on Wednesday, the
World Meteorological Organization announced that Earth will almost
assuredly see its warmest average temperature yet over the next five
years. To that end, there is a better-than-even chance that one of those
next five years will see the planet temporarily breach limits set by the
Paris climate accords to avoid the catastrophic effects of climate
change. The Paris Agreement recommended that nations reduce greenhouse
gas emissions to hold Earth’s warming to 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1.5
degrees Celsius) over preindustrial levels.
The heat is already on this year, with the onset of summer still a month
away. Las Vegas had a record day of 93 degrees in April. Seattle and
Portland, which broke summer records two years ago with 108 and 116
degrees respectively, set new May records in the 90s. Globally, new
spring records up to 114 degrees Fahrenheit were set across Portugal,
Spain, Morocco Algeria, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand.

Temperatures like that mean death. Extreme heat kills more people in the
United States annually than any other weather-related event, such as
hurricanes, floods, or tornadoes. In North America, the most recent
searing evidence of that was the more than 1,400 deaths under the “heat
dome” in 2021 that suffocated Oregon, Washington state, and western Canada.

Because of the demographics of that part of North America, most of the
victims of that historic heatwave happened to be white. But close
attention to the key factors associated with the deaths in Vancouver,
British Columbia, Portland and Seattle, reveals threads all too common
with the day-in, day-out conditions of many African Americans.
Typically, the victim was a socially and materially deprived elder, had
underlying health conditions, and possessed no air conditioning in
neighborhoods lacking the cooling effects of greenspace.
Black people share those conditions to the level of being
disproportionately sealed under the dome of a hotter world, with dire
consequences likely if the nation does not fight climate change.
According to a 2021 study of the nation’s 175 largest urban areas,
people of color in the U.S. were more likely than white people to live
on what are called “heat islands.” This is the modern term for the
“concrete jungle,” referring to parts of cities where the concentration
of buildings, roofs, roads, sidewalks, and parking lots relentlessly
absorb and radiate the sun’s heat. Such neighborhoods are often marked
by a lack of trees, parks and ponds, creeks, and lakes that naturally
cool and moisten the landscape.

Black people, according to the study of 175 cities, have the highest
surface urban heat island exposure of any racial or ethnic group, with
Hispanics coming in second. It is not an issue of poverty. The nation’s
history of redlining and many other forms of housing discrimination in
neighborhoods that white interests see as cooler—figuratively, and now,
literally—have resulted in Black people being marooned on heat islands
regardless of their income.

No one yet knows what that means in actual number of deaths. The federal
government says about 700 people die annually in the U.S. from
heat-related illnesses, but a 2020 study estimated that number is much
closer to approximately 5,600 deaths a year. A Los Angeles Times
analysis calculated that California alone suffered 3,900 heat-related
deaths from 2010-2019.

What we do know is that Black people are being disproportionately
affected. In New York City, where the health department says 370 people
die annually from heat-related causes, Black people are twice as likely
to die from heat stress than their white counterparts. A 2021 New York
Times story found a 35-degree difference on a blazing day in August
between the 119-degree sidewalk temperature on a tree-less section of
the South Bronx and the 84-degree sidewalk temperature on the
thickly-treed Upper West Side near the urban forest of Central Park.

In California, racial disparities have been bubbling up like lava from a
volcano. From 2005 to 2015, the rate of emergency room visits for
heat-related illnesses soared by 67 percent for African Americans, 63
percent for Latinos, and 53 percent for Asian Americans. It should be
noted that the rate of Black emergency room visitors was more than twice
the 27 percent increase for white Californians.

Technically, these disparities in heat risk are not new. In the 1995
Chicago heatwave that killed more than 700 people, Black residents had
an age-adjusted death rate that was 50 percent higher than white
residents. The highest risk was for Black seniors, who had a death rate
nearly double that of white seniors.

Worse, it’s not like Black people don’t know they are in the crosshairs
of a sizzling climate. A 2020 poll commissioned by the Harlem-based WE
ACT for Environmental Justice and the Environmental Defense Fund found
that 52 percent of Black respondents were “very concerned” about
heatwaves, nearly double the 28 percent of white respondents who were
very concerned.

The question is this: Will the part of our nation that enjoys the
cooling cross breeze under an oak canopy ever sweat enough to care about
climate change? Or even hear the S.O.S. from our blistering heat
islands? Mercy, mercy me. Things ain’t what they used to be. What about
this overheated land? What more abuse from man can she stand?
/Derrick Z. Jackson is a former Boston Globe columnist and a finalist
for the Pulitzer Prize in commentary./
https://www.theroot.com/the-heat-is-on-1850462642

/[ Some hot music - https://youtu.be/0QJXsmDBS8k  (I recall the original
lyrics: "pants on fire") ] /
*Dolly Parton - World On Fire (From The 58th ACM Awards)*
Dolly Parton official “World On Fire” Lyrics:

    Liar, liar the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down
    Fire, fire burning higher
    Still got time to turn it all around

    Now I ain't one for speaking out much
    But that don’t mean I don’t stay in touch
    Everybody’s trippin’ over this or that
    What we gonna do when we all fall flat

    Liar, liar the world’s on fire
    What we gonna do when it all burns down

    I don’t know what to think about us
    When did we lose in God we trust
    God Almighty, what we gonna do
    If God ain’t listenin’ and we’re deaf too

    Liar, liar the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down
    Fire, fire burning higher
    Still got time to turn it all around

    Don’t get me started on politics
    Now how are we to live in a world like this
    Greedy politicians, present and past
    They wouldn’t know the truth if it bit ‘em in the ass

    Now tell me what is truth
    Have we all lost sight
    Of common decency
    Of the wrong and right
    How do we heal this great divide
    Do we care enough to try

    Liar, liar the world’s on fire
    What we gonna do when it all burns down

    Billy got a gun, Joey got a knife
    Janey got a sign to carry in the fight
    Marching in the streets with sticks and stones
    Don’t you ever believe words don’t break bones

    Oh, can we rise above
    Can’t we show some love
    Do we just give up
    Or make a change

    We know all too well
    We’ve all been through hell
    Time to break the spell
    In heaven’s name

    Liar, liar the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down
    Fire, fire burning higher
    Still got time to turn it all around

    Liar, liar the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down
    Fire, fire burning higher
    Still got time to turn it all around

    (Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down
    Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down)
    Show some love
    (Liar, liar, the world’s on fire,
    Still got time to turn it all around)
    Let’s rise above
    (Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down)
    Let’s make a stand
    (Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down)
    Let’s lend a hand
    (Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Still got time to turn it all around)
    Let’s heal the hurt
    (Liar, Liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down)
    Let kindness work
    (Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down)
    Let’s be a friend
    (Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down)
    Let hatred end
    (Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do)
    Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down
    Liar, liar, the world’s on fire
    Whatcha gonna do when it all burns down

Music video by Dolly Parton performing World On Fire (From The 58th ACM
Awards) (From The 58th ACM Awards). © 2023 Butterfly Records, LLC under
exclusive license to Big Machine Label Group, LLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJXsmDBS8k

- -
/[  Interviewed on the Today show -- video ]/
*Dolly Parton opens up about the shift in tone in her new music*
TODAY <https://www.youtube.com/@TODAY>
190,710 views  May 15, 2023  #dollywood #dollyparton #music
Music superstar Dolly Parton opens up about her new rock anthem, "World
On Fire" in which she speaks out against the politics of today and talks
about the major shift in tone and sound of her new album of covers. She
also walks through Dollywood with NBC’s Jacob Soboroff and shows off her
new roller coaster — and shares why she won’t ride it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9ib0aLYcA

/[The news archive - looking back at an important show. ]/
/*May 24, 2006*/
May 24, 2006: "An Inconvenient Truth" is released in the United States.
Box Office Guru.com's Gitesh Pandya notes:

    "Setting the limited release box office on fire was the global
    warming documentary 'An Inconvenient Truth' which opened in only
    four theaters but grossed a hefty $367,311. That gave the Al Gore
    pic a stunning average of $91,827 per location over four days.
    Distributed by Paramount Vantage, the new incarnation of Paramount
    Classics, Truth collected $281,330 over the Friday-to-Sunday portion
    averaging a scorching $70,332. Total since Wednesday stands at
    $490,860. Opening this weekend on multiple screens at a pair of
    theaters in both New York and Los Angeles, Truth will add about 60
    more playdates on Friday and expand throughout June hoping to become
    the dominant doc of the summer."

(Al Gore and director Davis Guggenheim would appear on the June 2, 2006
edition of "EcoTalk" on Air America to discuss the film.)
http://youtu.be/8ZUoYGAI5i0
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/052906.htm
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2006/06/al_gore_about_a.html
http://blogsofbainbridge.typepad.com/ecotalkblog/2006/06/davis_guggenhei.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

/ to explore the archive

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli