[✔️] May 26, 2023 - - Global Warming News Digest, Heatwaves defined, Poems from AI Chat-GPT, Isolation precedes floodings, Climates and Conflict, DeSantis dumb, First IPCC report 1990

R.Pauli Richard at CredoandScreed.com
Fri May 26 09:04:22 EDT 2023

/*May*//*26, 2023*/-.

/[ Ask the Economist magazine  - 13 min video ]/
*Heatwaves: how hot can it get?*
The Economist
May 25, 2023
Heatwaves are becoming more frequent, more intense and more deadly. But
what is a heatwave, why are they so dangerous and how are they affected
by climate change?

    00:00 - What are heatwaves?
    01:40 - How do heatwaves form?
    05:28 - How heatwaves kill
    08:40 - How to prepare for heatwaves
    10:17 - What is the impact of climate change?

Sign up to The Economist’s daily newsletter: https://econ.st/3QAawvI

Can Kolkata’s street life survive India’s record-breaking heatwaves?
https://econ.st/3BufiFh

How to predict record-shattering weather events: https://econ.st/3Og1juG

Cell block hot: how prisoners are facing rising temperatures:
https://econ.st/3Ol0QY9

Heatwaves and floods around the world may be a taste of years to come:
https://econ.st/3IhJzLz

Heatwaves kill more Americans than hurricanes, tornadoes and floods:
https://econ.st/3MxdHoM

In art, as in life, boundaries blur when a heatwave strikes:
https://econ.st/457QgcC

A changing climate is bad news for a continent that doesn’t like change:
https://econ.st/3Myima3

July’s heatwave may have killed thousands of Britons:
https://econ.st/44ZcJc5

A rising share of people are exposed to dangerously high temperatures:
https://econ.st/3MvKBWy

Our hottest hour: sweat, toil, tears and more sweat:
https://econ.st/3W7HmYy

The increase in simultaneous heatwaves: https://econ.st/3IfYpSI

Some don’t like it hot: melting roads, raging wildfires and an energy
crunch: https://econ.st/3MukorE

Heat and humidity are putting millions of Indians in peril:
https://econ.st/41BQsy4

How can India cope with heatwaves?: https://econ.st/3o0HlcC

Parts of Antarctica have been 40°C warmer than their March average:
https://econ.st/42GSKNK

Debate over air conditioning in American prisons will heat up:
https://econ.st/3W8w9Hi

Watch the first episode in our ‘Weather Essentials’ series:
https://econ.st/40OkEW6
Watch the second episode in our ‘Weather Essentials’ series:
https://econ.st/3ByYld3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNrtArLJJw

/[ I asked AI to write some poems  ]/
AI Chat GPT
*"Using the poetry style of the Burma Shave signs - compose a 4 or 5
line poem about climate change"*

    Ice caps melting, seas grow warm,
    Climate change, a brewing storm.
    Nature's warning, loud and clear,
    Act now, or future's bleak, I fear.
    Earth's plea: "Save me, my dear."

2 / 2

    Melting ice, rising seas,
    Nature's plea, a gentle breeze.
    Plant the seeds of care and love,
    For a world we're part of, and dream of.
    Climate change, let's rise above.

3 / 3

    Ice caps melting,
    Oceans are rising,
    Nature's plea,
    Humans, start compromising.
    Save our Earth, don't let it fade.

*"Using the poetry style of the Burma Shave signs- compose a 4 or 5 line
poem about global warming."*

    Sun's rage intensifies the heat,
    Global warming, a challenge we meet.
    Carbon footprint, we must reduce,
    For Earth's survival, it's our truce.
    Cooler planet, our love's produce.

https://chat.openai.com/?model=text-davinci-002-render-sha

/[Hakai magazine ]/
*Rising Sea Levels Will Isolate People Long Before They’re Underwater*
Time and tide wait for no man. Neither does sea level rise.
by Brian Owens
May 25, 2023
The Chignecto Isthmus—the low marshy strip connecting New Brunswick and
Nova Scotia—may be one of the most vulnerable places in Canada to sea
level rise. At just 21 kilometers wide, the interprovincial land bridge
is battered on its southwestern flank by the famously extreme tides in
the Bay of Fundy. Protected by a network of earthen dikes first
constructed in the 1600s, “the tops of the dikes are only a little
higher than the spring high tides,” says Jeff Ollerhead, a coastal
geomorphologist at Mount Allison University, located in Sackville, New
Brunswick, at the western end of the isthmus. “If we have a big storm,”
he says, “water will go over the dikes.”

When scientists and the public fret about sea level rise, they mostly
focus on when and where communities will be permanently flooded. But
there’s another consequence of rising seas that will affect many more
people much sooner: getting cut off from roads and other critical
infrastructure. It’s a threat that society has not paid nearly enough
attention to, says Allison Reilly, a civil engineer at the University of
Maryland.

The flood-prone Chignecto Isthmus shows what’s at stake. Hidden behind
the barely sufficient dikes are reams of vital infrastructure: the
Trans-Canada Highway, a Canadian National Railway line, multiple
electrical transmission lines and fiber-optic cables, a wind farm, and
agricultural land.

Though it’s unlikely the Chignecto Isthmus will be fully flooded any
time soon—a disastrous outcome that would sever the link between New
Brunswick and Nova Scotia—disruptions from storm-related flooding are
becoming more common. That’s bad news for people like Ollerhead, who
frequently cross the isthmus to get to medical appointments, access the
international airport in Halifax, Nova Scotia, or even take shopping
trips to Ikea. At a broader scale, temporary flooding of the highway or
rail line could disrupt activity in the Port of Halifax, a major
economic driver for the region.

In a new paper, Reilly and her colleagues show the breadth and pace of
the isolation threat. Inspired by her work on the eastern shore of
Maryland, where people already need to adjust their travel and work
schedules to account for tides that frequently swamp roads, Reilly and
her colleagues calculated that, with one meter of sea level rise, twice
as many people across the coastal United States will be isolated than
will be inundated. “People who live [three meters] above sea level,
their house might be okay,” she says. “But that doesn’t mean they will
be reliably able to get to the grocery store.”...
- -
While sea level rise is often considered a problem for the far future,
Reilly says people will start getting isolated much sooner. “It’s very
possible that we could see that in our lifetimes.”

Worse still, many places currently considered at low risk of sea level
rise suddenly become much more vulnerable when isolation is taken into
account, Reilly says. While planners know that low-lying Florida will be
severely inundated, Maine, with its high rocky coasts, is generally
thought to be at low risk. But Reilly’s work shows many Mainers are
vulnerable to being cut off by flooding in coastal communities and river
valleys.

This far more immediate effect of rising seas needs to become part of
the broader planning process, says Reilly—both in terms of the
adaptations and protections we build and also in how we prepare for the
pending wave of climate migrants as people leave places where the
quality of life has become too burdened by sea level rise.

That kind of planning is starting to happen around the Chignecto
Isthmus, where the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia governments are
considering a variety of plans to raise or replace the dikes. For
Ollerhead, that work can’t start soon enough.

“It will take a lot of sea level rise before Nova Scotia becomes an
island, but you could have a storm that cuts off the major
transportation links for days, weeks, or months,” he says. “It’s nearly
impossible to predict when, but it will happen eventually.”
https://hakaimagazine.com/news/rising-sea-levels-will-isolate-people-long-before-theyre-underwater/

/[ Promotion for a data service  ]/
*Climate Change and Conflict*
International Crisis Group
Nov 17, 2021
The relationship between climate change and deadly conflict is complex
and context-specific. Climate change affects every aspect of life,
damaging food systems, displacing millions, and shaping the future of
conflict.

It is undeniable that climate change is a threat multiplier that is
already increasing food insecurity, water scarcity and resource
competition, while disrupting livelihoods and spurring migration. In
turn, deadly conflict and political instability are contributing to
climate change.

As this introductory video lays out, Crisis Group’s work on climate
change and conflict relies on field-based research and analysis to
provide insights into how policymakers might best influence and respond
to these complex changes to mitigate conflict risks. Find our work on
climate and the future of conflict here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQP_UcU5Xfs

/[ Dangerous ignorance  ] /
*DeSantis dismisses climate change, calling it ‘politicisation of weather’*
Florida governor repeats common misconception about climate change and
fierce storms
May 25, 2023
John Bowden
Washington DC
Ron DeSantis began a whirlwind media tour around the launch of his 2024
presidential campaign with an interview on Fox News on Wednesday evening
when the governor outlined his misconceptions about climate change....
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/desantis-climate-change-fox-news-b2345966.html

/[The news archive - looking back at the first IPCC report ]/
/*May 26, 1990*/
May 26, 1990: The New York Times covers the release of the First
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report:

"A panel of scientists warned today that unless emissions of carbon
dioxide and other harmful gases were immediately cut by more than 60
percent, global temperatures would rise sharply over the next century,
with unforeseeable consequences for humanity.

"While much of the substance of the report has already been disclosed,
the report had immediate political consequences. Prime Minister Margaret
Thatcher of Britain, breaking with the Bush Administration's skepticism
over the need for immediate action, said today that if other countries
did their part, Britain would reduce the projected growth of its carbon
dioxide emissions enough to stabilize them at 1990 levels by the year 2005."

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/26/world/scientists-urge-rapid-action-on-global-warming.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

/ to explore the archive

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli