[✔️] May 29, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Stefan Rahmstorf, tsunamis from the Antarctica, Submarine landslides, DeSantis confusion, Doomers, James Hansen, Pipeline, no moee lab grown meat, Obama and coal.

Mon May 29 12:03:22 EDT 2023

/*May*//*29, 2023*/

/[ top climate scientist reminds us of science insights since 1843 ]/
*Prof. Stefan Rahmstorf: Ocean Circulation, Tipping Points, and the
Public Climate Debate*
Earth System Analysis - Potsdam Institute
1,225 views  May 4, 2023
EPA Climate Change Lecture, Dublin Mansion House, April 19th 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkAYnkpYADs

/[ Did Charlton Heston leave any words on this? ]/
*Climate change could trigger gigantic deadly tsunamis from Antarctica,
new study warns*
By Ben Turner published about 10 hours ago
Slippages in sediment beneath the Antarctic seabed could spawn gigantic
tsunamis as oceans warm.
Climate change could unleash gigantic tsunamis in the Southern Ocean by
triggering underwater landslides in Antarctica, a new study warns.

By drilling into sediment cores hundreds of feet beneath the seafloor in
Antarctica, scientists discovered that during previous periods of global
warming — 3 million and 15 million years ago — loose sediment layers
formed and slipped to send massive tsunami waves racing to the shores of
South America, New Zealand and Southeast Asia.

And as climate change heats the oceans, the researchers think there's a
possibility these tsunamis could be unleashed once more. Their findings
were published May 18 in the journal Nature Communications...
https://www.space.com/climate-change-could-trigger-gigantic-deadly-tsunamis-from-antarctica

- -

/[ We refer to study in Nature Communications ]/
*Climate-controlled submarine landslides on the Antarctic continental
margin*
Jenny A. Gales, Robert M. McKay, Laura De Santis, Michele Rebesco, Jan
Sverre Laberg, Amelia E Shevenell, David Harwood, R. Mark Leckie, Denise
K. Kulhanek, Maxine King, Molly Patterson, Renata G. Lucchi, Sookwan
Kim, Sunghan Kim, Justin Dodd, Julia Seidenstein, Catherine Prunella,
Giulia M. Ferrante & IODP Expedition 374 Scientists
Nature Communications volume 14, Article number: 2714 (2023) Cite this
article
Published: 18 May 2023
3063 Accesses
427 Altmetric
Metricsdetails
*Abstract*

    Antarctica’s continental margins pose an unknown submarine
    landslide-generated tsunami risk to Southern Hemisphere populations
    and infrastructure. Understanding the factors driving slope failure
    is essential to assessing future geohazards. Here, we present a
    multidisciplinary study of a major submarine landslide complex along
    the eastern Ross Sea continental slope (Antarctica) that identifies
    preconditioning factors and failure mechanisms. Weak layers,
    identified beneath three submarine landslides, consist of distinct
    packages of interbedded Miocene- to Pliocene-age diatom oozes and
    glaciomarine diamicts. The observed lithological differences, which
    arise from glacial to interglacial variations in biological
    productivity, ice proximity, and ocean circulation, caused changes
    in sediment deposition that inherently preconditioned slope failure.
    These recurrent Antarctic submarine landslides were likely triggered
    by seismicity associated with glacioisostatic readjustment, leading
    to failure within the preconditioned weak layers. Ongoing climate
    warming and ice retreat may increase regional glacioisostatic
    seismicity, triggering Antarctic submarine landslides.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-38240-y?

/[ IN Santis-ty ]/
*DeSantis accused of ‘catastrophic’ climate approach after campaign launch*
Republican ‘trying to out-Trump Trump’ on climate, expert says, as
governor says he rejects the ‘politicization of the weather’
Oliver Milman  @olliemilman
Sun 28 May 2023
Ron DeSantis has been accused of a “catastrophic” approach to the
climate crisis after he launched his campaign for US president by saying
he rejects the “politicization of the weather” and questioning whether
hurricanes hitting his home state of Florida have been worsened by
climate change.

DeSantis, ... has previously dismissed concerns about global heating as
“leftwing stuff” and he expanded upon this theme during a Fox News
interview following his campaign launch...
- -
Michael Mann, a climate scientist at the University of Pennsylvania,
said that DeSantis’s stance towards climate science is “classic projection”.

“It is Ron DeSantis who is engaged in the ‘politicization of the
weather’ by denying basic, established science – the intensification of
tropical storms with human-caused warming of the oceans.”...
- -
...Bob Inglis, a former Republican congressman who now advocates for a
conservative response to the climate crisis....

“He’s done some things in Florida designed to address the problem of
climate change, he could’ve been the post-Trump successful governor, the
solver of problems,” said Inglis.

“But instead he’s choosing to be more of the anti-woke warrior than
Trump. He’s slugging it out in the Trump lane which is really a terrible
mistake. I’m hearing from Republicans in Florida ‘why is he choosing
this path?’

“He could’ve said, ‘Hey, we are dealing with this climate issue in
Florida, let’s lead the world on this.’ Instead he’s trying to out-Trump
Trump.”

Inglis said that while some senior Republicans fret they will lose out
on a younger generation of climate-concerned voters, they still risk
being beaten in primary races by candidates that back Trump’s ongoing
embrace of climate denialism.

“People like (House of Representatives speaker) Kevin McCarthy know that
young conservatives want action on climate change and even if Trump wins
he will be a lame duck by 2026 and the party could start moving on by
then,” said Inglis.

“The trouble is, the scientists say we don’t have the time to wait for
that. That really is the problem.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/28/ron-desantis-climate-crisis-campaign

/[ journalist examines the notion of doom "things are bad, we have to
feel the tension" ]/
*Are climate doomers right?*
DW Planet A
May 26, 2023  #Doomer #planeta
A growing number of people believe that humanity is doomed because of
climate change, while some are even full-blown preparing for a world
post-collapse. Like Ben Green, who calls himself a “happy doomer”. Join
me as I visit the old army barracks he calls home, to figure out if he’s
right to be preparing for such an eventuality.
Credits: