[✔️] November 1, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Rad politics, Weather extremes reported, Rahmstorf, Students complain, Mikey Johnson cuts funding, 2012 Romney interrupted

Wed Nov 1 07:45:29 EDT 2023

/*November *//*1, 2023*/

/[ Out of control -- says famous radical -  be sure to hear the last 15
mins of video ]/
*Andreas Malm: "Overshoot: Climate Politics When It's Too Late"*
Futures of Sustainability, Universität Hamburg
Oct 25, 2023
Annual Conference 2023 "THE FAILURE OF GREEN CAPITALISM: FINDINGS,
OBJECTIONS, ALTERNATIVES"
Chair: Sighard Neckel (Spokesperson DFG Humanities Centre for Advanced
Studies "Futures of Sustainability")
Keynote Lecture by Andreas Malm (Lund University): "Overshoot: Climate
Politics When It's Too Late"

/[ Beckwith reads and comments on a 3 page letter of where our climate
is now ]/
*Role of Thermodynamic and Dynamic Effects in Weather Extremes within
our Climate System: Review*
Paul Beckwith
Oct 30, 2023
A few weeks ago Stefan Rahmstorf who heads the very famous “Potsdam
Institute for Climate Impacts” co-authored a letter of weather extremes:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/acfb23

The main point is that extreme weather is greatly increasing in our
climate system and is due to both thermodynamic effects AND dynamic
effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-By5xQ1di0

- -

/[ Highly respected climate scientist Stefan Rahmstorf recent
Environmental Research Letters ]/
*Extreme weather in a changing climate*
Giorgia Di Capua3,1,2 and Stefan Rahmstorf2

Published 6 October 2023 • © 2023 The Author(s). Published by IOP
Publishing Ltd
Environmental Research Letters, Volume 18, Number 10
15 years of Environmental Research Letters
Citation Giorgia Di Capua and Stefan Rahmstorf 2023 Environ. Res. Lett.
18 102001
DOI 10.1088/1748-9326/acfb23
Abstract

    Extreme weather events are rising at a pace which exceeds
    expectations based on thermodynamic arguments only, changing the way
    we perceive our climate system and climate change issues. Every
    year, heatwaves, floods and wildfires, bring death and devastation
    worldwide, increasing the evidence about the role of anthropogenic
    climate change in the increase of extremes. In this viewpoint
    article, we summarize some of the most recent extremes and put them
    in the context of the most recent research on atmospheric and
    climate sciences, especially focusing on changes in thermodynamics
    and dynamics of the atmosphere. While some changes in extremes are
    to be expected and are clearly attributable to rising greenhouse gas
    emissions, other seem counterintuitive, highlighting the need for
    further research in the field. In this context, research on changes
    in atmospheric dynamics plays a crucial role in explaining some of
    these extremes and more needs to be done to improve our
    understanding of the physical mechanisms involved.

[ a 3 page PDF file
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/acfb23/pdf ]
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/acfb23

/[ Activism reported in the Guardian ]/
*US students file complaints against six universities over fossil fuel
investments*
Students say that by investing in fossil fuels their schools are
violating commitments to the public interest
Dharna Noor
Mon 30 Oct 2023
Students at six universities filed legal complaints on Monday accusing
their colleges of breaking a little-known law by investing in
planet-heating fossil fuels, the Guardian has learned.

Campus organizers from the University of Pennsylvania, the University of
Chicago, Tufts University, Pomona College, Washington University in St
Louis and Pennsylvania State University wrote to the attorneys general
of their respective states to ask officials to scrutinize their
universities’ investments. Each filing elicited signatures of support
from dozens of faculty and staff members, alumni and local, national and
international climate-focused groups.

The students argue that by investing in coal, oil and gas, the schools
are violating their obligations as non-profit organizations to
prioritize the public interest.

“Fossil fuel companies have long engaged in a well-documented campaign
to undermine climate science and distort public debate about how to deal
with the climate crisis – including through efforts targeting Penn
scientists and researchers,” University of Pennsylvania students wrote
in their filing. “The industry’s spread of scientific misinformation
undermines the work of Penn faculty and students who are researching and
designing solutions for a sustainable future.”

The filings estimate that each of the schools has tens or even hundreds
of millions of dollars invested in fossil fuels.

“If universities say, ‘We’re climate leaders, we stand for justice,’ but
then on the other hand financially contribute to the climate crisis, we
just see that as unacceptable,” said Moli Ma, an undergraduate student
at Tufts, who helped lead the complaint against her university. “There’s
an incongruence there. It doesn’t match up.”

The six complaints follow more than a dozen similar initiatives at
colleges around the US, beginning with Boston College in 2020. The
filings were written with help from the Climate Defense Project, a
non-profit environmental law organization.

State officials have not affirmed any of the legal filings, but several
schools – including Harvard, Cornell and Stanford – said they would
divest from fossil fuels shortly after complaints against them were filed.

“We feel like this might have been the last straw that really pushed
Harvard’s administration over the edge on divestment,” said Ma, who is
part of the Tufts Climate Action student group. “We wanted to replicate
the success that happened there.”

Four of Monday’s filings allege that schools breached the Uniform
Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act, a law adopted by 49
states requiring non-profit institutions to consider their “charitable
purposes” in their investments and to do so with “prudence” and “loyalty”.

Pennsylvania has not passed such a law, so students’ legal complaints
against the University of Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania State
University are based on similar regulations that fall under the state’s
Decedents, Estates, and Fiduciary Code.

In interviews, the student organizers noted that the climate crisis had
wreaked havoc on each of their universities’ home states, whether
through more frequent and severe wildfires in Pomona College’s
California or more devastating heatwaves in Washington University in St
Louis’s Missouri. Those disasters often disproportionately harm youth,
poor communities and people of color, the complaints note.

Another key argument in each complaint: investing in fossil fuel stocks
not only harms the climate and threatens human health, but also creates
financial risk.

“We make the case that fossil fuels from a purely financial point of
view are a very bad investment,” said Ted Hamilton, a lawyer with the
Climate Defense Project who has worked on each of the legal filings.
“This sector is very volatile. It’s been underperforming lately, and
especially for long-term institutional investors like universities, it
has a very bad value thesis [for] the coming decades.”

The complaints build on pre-existing fossil fuel divestment efforts at
each of the six universities. Students said they had heard college
officials defend their continued financial backing of fossil fuels in
various ways, from touting their existing efforts to clean up
investments to arguing that investment should not be governed by
specific political agendas.

“Investing in fossil fuels is a political statement,” said Clara Dutton,
a student organizer at Washington University in St Louis. “And it’s a
hypocritical one.”

Bill McKibben, the veteran environmental activist and author, supports
the students’ efforts.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/30/us-universities-fossil-fuel-investments-students-complaints

/[ politics  ]/
*House Speaker Mike Johnson’s First Big Bill Cuts Biden’s Climate Change
Funding*
-- Measure would end rebates for energy-efficient appliances
-- Slashes funds for other programs to counter climate change
The first major legislation House Republicans passed under newly
installed Speaker Mike Johnson would cut billions of dollars in consumer
rebates for energy efficiency upgrades included in President Joe Biden’s
signature climate law.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-26/speaker-mike-johnson-s-first-big-bill-cuts-biden-climate-change-funding#xj4y7vzkg

/[The news archive -  manipulation from audience boos (not booze)  ]/
/*November 1, 2012*/
November 1, 2012:  At a campaign rally in Virginia, Republican
presidential contender Mitt Romney is interrupted by a protester who
faults him for not addressing climate change. The right-wing audience
boos the protester.
http://youtu.be/SGxSnaC1qcU

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli