[✔️] November 8, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Mecca floods, Climate Justice discussed, Food security, DayBreak game, 1989 Margaret Thatcher at the UN

Wed Nov 8 06:42:17 EST 2023

/*November *//*8, 2023*/

/[Flooding in Saudi Arabia - YouTube video  ]/
*Heaven's punishment hit Saudi Arabia! The worst flood and storms in Mecca*
Painful Earth Shorts
  Nov 7, 2023  МЕККА
Heaven's punishment hit Saudi Arabia! The worst flood and storms in Mecca..
- -
Mecca, one of Islam's holiest cities, is facing nature's wrath as severe
storms descend upon the region.
Thunderstorms have unleashed their fury, with thunder and lightning
lighting up the sky, causing alarm among the city's inhabitants.
Local authorities are working tirelessly to respond to the emergency,
with emergency services on high alert.
The rainfall has been incessant, leading to flash floods that have
inundated streets and caused widespread disruption.
Many historic sites in Mecca, including the Grand Mosque, are now at
risk of damage due to the flooding.
Pilgrims who had come to Mecca for religious reasons are being affected
by the inclement weather, causing further concern for the city.
Roads and transportation have been severely impacted, with many streets
impassable and public transportation services suspended.
The heavy rainfall is causing rivers to swell, exacerbating the flooding
situation and posing additional challenges for rescue and relief efforts.
Local residents have been advised to stay indoors, and authorities have
opened emergency shelters to accommodate those displaced by the floods.
Power outages are also reported in several areas, causing additional
difficulties in communication and response.
Saudi Arabia's meteorological agency has issued warnings for further
rainfall and storms in the coming days, compounding the urgency of the
situation.
Aerial surveys are being conducted to assess the extent of the damage
and to identify areas in most urgent need of assistance.
Local volunteers and civil defense teams are working around the clock to
rescue those trapped in their homes or vehicles due to the flooding.
The international community is closely monitoring the situation and
offering assistance as needed.
Mecca's residents are showing remarkable resilience and solidarity in
the face of this natural disaster.
The challenges are immense, but the spirit of Mecca remains unbroken, as
the city strives to recover from this unprecedented onslaught of storms
and flooding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExmN1HT01rk

/[ economics, politics, but the final decision goes to physical reality ]/
*Who supports climate justice in the U.S.?*
By Jennifer Carman, Matthew Ballew, Marija Verner, Danning (Leilani) Lu,
Joshua Low, Seth Rosenthal, Edward Maibach, John Kotcher, Jennifer
Marlon and Anthony Leiserowitz
CLIMATE NOTE · Nov 7, 2023
Climate change is harming people in the United States and around the
world. While climate change harms people from all walks of life, those
who have done the least to cause climate change often suffer the most,
while those who have emitted the most carbon pollution often suffer the
least. Climate change also exacerbates existing vulnerabilities,
including those based on personal factors (such as age or existing
health issues) and social factors (such as systemic racism and poverty).
Moreover, investments in climate change solutions, such as flood
protection or renewable energy, often tend to benefit people and
communities who are already advantaged.

Climate justice focuses on considering the needs of everyone and
addressing these inequities head-on. The goals of climate justice
include reducing the unequal harms of climate change, providing
equitable benefits from climate solutions, and involving affected
communities in decision-making. Organizers in the broader environmental
justice field have advanced climate justice for decades, including
during the first Climate Justice Summit in 2000 at the 6th United
Nations Conference of Parties climate negotiations (COP6). As a result,
climate justice has become a core part of the climate movement,
including both federal and local government action to address climate
change in the United States.

While climate justice is an important issue, many Americans are not yet
familiar with it. According to our recent report, only about one in
three Americans (34%) say they have heard or read at least “a little”
about climate justice, while most (65%) say they have not heard of it.
However, after reading a brief description of climate justice, about
half of Americans (53%) say they support it, while large majorities of
registered voters support climate justice-related policies.

Here, we use data from our latest Climate Change in the American Mind
survey (April, 2023; n = 1,011) to identify the demographic groups who
are least familiar with climate justice but most supportive of, and
willing to vote for, climate justice after learning about it. Results by
political party and ideology are included in the original report. (Note:
Due to sample size limitations among racial/ethnic groups, we can only
compare the three largest racial/ethnic groups in the U.S.: White
(non-Hispanic/Latino), Black (non-Hispanic/Latino), and Hispanic/Latino
adults.)

*Results*
Climate Justice Awareness and Support

In the survey, respondents were first asked how much they have heard or
read about climate justice. After responding to that initial question,
respondents were given a brief description of the goals of climate
justice then asked how much they support or oppose them. The description
read, “Climate justice refers to the idea that global warming affects
everyone, but certain communities are harmed more than others,
especially low-income communities and communities of color. The goals of
climate justice are to reduce these unequal harms, include these
communities in decision-making, and ensure they receive a fair share of
the benefits of climate action (such as good jobs, cleaner air and
water, better health, etc.).”

The groups who are least likely to know about climate justice include
adults in the United States who have a high school education or less
(only 10% know “some” or “a lot”), have some college education (13%),
earn less than $50,000 per year (12%), are Black (12%), or live in rural
areas (13%). Black adults, however, were the group with the highest
level of support for climate justice (70%) after reading a description
of it. Other demographic groups with high levels of support for climate
justice after reading about it included adults in the U.S. who: are
Hispanic/Latino(66%), have a Bachelor’s degree or higher (61%), or live
in urban areas (61%). Overall, the groups with the largest gaps between
having heard about climate justice (prior to reading a description) and
supporting climate justice (after reading a description) were Black
adults (12% said they know “a lot” or “some” about climate justice while
70% said they support its goals – a difference of 58 percentage points),
followed by Hispanic/Latino adults, women, and those earning less than
$50,000 per year (each with a difference of 45 percentage points).
- -
Voting for Candidates Who Support Climate Justice

About four in ten U.S. adults (43%) said they would be more likely to
vote for a candidate who supports climate justice (while 21% said they
would be less likely and 34% said it makes no difference either way).
The groups who were most likely to say they would vote for a candidate
who supports climate justice include adults in the U.S. who are Black
(62%), live in urban areas (53%), or are Hispanic/Latino (51%). While
only about one-third of adults who live in rural areas (31%) or are
White (34%) say they would be more likely to vote for a candidate who
supports climate justice, many in both groups say that a candidate’s
climate justice stance “makes no difference either way” (38% of people
in rural areas and 35% of White adults).

The results indicate important opportunities for climate and
environmental justice organizations in the United States. Many adults in
the U.S. who are Black, Hispanic/Latino, women, or who have lower
incomes, know little to nothing about climate justice – but most people
in these groups support it when they learn about it. Notably, these
groups also face greater harm from climate change impacts. Climate and
environmental justice organizations have already made significant
efforts to raise public awareness of, and promote political action on,
these issues in many local communities. Nonetheless, our data
underscores the need for greater investment in education, communication,
and organizing, particularly among Black and Hispanic/Latino audiences,
to expand the base of support nationally.

Solid majorities of respondents across racial and ethnic groups support
climate justice policies in the United States, so talking about the
specific benefits of actions to promote climate justice in communities
may build more support than only talking about climate justice as a
general concept.

Methods

This report is based on findings from a nationally representative survey
– Climate Change in the American Mind – conducted jointly by the Yale
Program on Climate Change Communication and the George Mason University
Center for Climate Change Communication. Interview dates: April 18 – May
1, 2023. Interviews: 1,011 adults (18+). Average margin of error for
both all adults and registered voters: +/- 3 percentage points at the
95% confidence level. The research was funded by the 11th Hour Project,
the Energy Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation, the Heising-Simons
Foundation, and the Grantham Foundation.

The survey questions included in this report were developed in
partnership with climate justice organizations and practitioners in the
United States and Canada. Organizations and individuals who contributed
to question development are listed in alphabetical order by organization:

Digital Climate Coalition (Andrea Aguilar, Sha Merirei Ongelungel,
Karina Sahlin, and Cristian Sanchez)
Green Latinos (Irene Burga and Mark Magaña)
Justice Environment (Saad Amer)
Mississippi Communities United for Prosperity (Romona Taylor Williams)
Neighbours United (Montana Burgess)
Sierra Club (Grace McRae and Makeda Fekede)
WE ACT for Environmental Justice (Manuel Salgado and Annika Larson)
Yale Center for Environmental Justice (Kristin Barendregt-Ludwig, Michel
Gelobter, and Gerald Torres)
The average margins of error at the 95% confidence interval for each
demographic group:

Race/ethnicity:
Black (+/- 11 percentage points)
Hispanic/Latino (+/- 8 percentage points) respondents
White (+/- 4 percentage points)
Education:
High school or less (+/- 5 percentage points)
Some college (+/- 6 percentage points)
Bachelor’s degree or higher (+/- 5 percentage points)
Annual income:
Less than $50,000 (+/- 6 percentage points)
$50,000-$99,999 (+/- 5 percentage points)
$100,000 or more (+/- 5 percentage points)
Gender:
Female (+/- 4 percentage points)
Male (+/- 4 percentage points)
Generational cohort:
Gen Z/Millennial (1981-2005) (+/- 6 percentage points)
Generation X  (1965-1980) (+/- 6 percentage points)
Baby Boomer/Silent Generation/Greatest Generation (1928-1964) (+/- 5
percentage points)
Urban/rural:
Urban (+/- 7 percentage points)
Suburban (+/- 4 percentage points)
Rural (+/- 6 percentage points)
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/who-supports-climate-justice-in-the-u-s/

/[ Food system and climate change --  from a long established video
interviewer - Metta Spencer ]/
*Food Security and Climate*
ToSaveTheWorld
Nov. 8, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtI9DvfWkxw

/[Daybreak is a fantasy board game of co-operative survival ]/
*Daybreak is a cooperative game about stopping climate change*
About Daybreak
Daybreak is a cooperative boardgame about stopping climate change. It
presents a hopeful vision of the near future, where you get to build the
mind-blowing technologies and resilient societies we need to save the
planet.

Daybreak is designed by Matt Leacock, creator of the hit game Pandemic,
and Matteo Menapace. The box is absolutely stuffed with sustainable
components, featuring hundreds of original illustrations by a diverse
team of (human) artists from around the world.

Daybreak is for 1-4 players, ages 10+, and takes 60-90 minutes to play.
“Fast, fluent, and fun, while illustrating both the challenge of climate
change and—if humanity has the will to cooperate—possible solutions.”
Tom Lehmann, Race for the Galaxy

    *Daybreak - How To Play*
    CMYK
    Jun 26, 2023
    Daybreak is a cooperative boardgame about stopping climate change,
    from the creator of Pandemic.
    In it, you get to build the mind-blowing technologies and resilient
    societies we need for a warming planet. You’ll play stacks of cards,
    create powerful combos, and strategize with your fellow players
    about how to decarbonize society.
    And since Daybreak is 100% cooperative, you win or lose together!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8GH1j7-sg8

https://daybreakgame.org/

- -

/[ Review of the game ]/
*Daybreak Overview*
Matt Leacock
Sep 20, 2022
An overview of Daybreak – a cooperative game about stopping climate
change. By Matt Leacock and Matteo Menapace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChFWH9bkd4

/[The news archive -  Margaret Thatcher shows how to act like a right
winger ]/
/*November 8, 1989 */
November 8, 1989: Margaret Thatcher delivers an address to the UN
General Assembly on global warming, noting that societies should have
economic growth "which does not plunder the planet today and leave our
children to deal with the consequences tomorrow."
http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107817

- -

/[ her fairly interesting speech ]/
*Margaret Thatcher - UN General Assembly Climate Change Speech (1989*)
Apr 9, 2013
On November 8th 1989, British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher gave an
inspiring speech to the UN General Assembly about the environment and
climate change. Over the course of her half hour speech, she set out the
problems we face and how we could resolve them. It was one of a number
of inspiring climate change speeches by the then Prime Minister.
The full transcript of this speech is available from the Margaret
Thatcher Foundation website http://www.MargaretThatcher.org/docum...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnAzoDtwCBg&sns=em

- -

/ [ clip of text of her fairly interesting speech ]/
1989 Nov 8
Margaret Thatcher
*Speech to United Nations General Assembly (Global Environment)*

    *VAST INCREASE IN CARBON DIOXIDE*
    We are seeing a vast increase in the amount of carbon dioxide
    reaching the atmosphere. The annual increase is three billion
    tonnes: and half the carbon emitted since the Industrial Revolution
    still remains in the atmosphere.

    At the same time as this is happening, we are seeing the destruction
    on a vast scale of tropical forests which are uniquely able to
    remove carbon dioxide from the air.

    Every year an area of forest equal to the whole surface of the
    United Kingdom is destroyed. At present rates of clearance we shall,
    by the year 2000, have removed 65 per cent of forests in the humid
    tropical zones. [end p3]

    The consequences of this become clearer when one remembers that
    tropical forests fix more than ten times as much carbon as do
    forests in the temperate zones.

    We now know, too, that great damage is being done to the Ozone Layer
    by the production of halons and chlorofluorocarbons. But at least we
    have recognised that reducing and eventually stopping the emission
    of CFCs is one positive thing we can do about the menacing
    accumulation of greenhouse gases.

    It is of course true that none of us would be here but for the
    greenhouse effect. It gives us the moist atmosphere which sustains
    life on earth. We need the greenhouse effect—but only in the right
    proportions.

    More than anything, our environment is threatened by the sheer
    numbers of people and the plants and animals which go with them.
    When I was born the world's population was some 2 billion people. My
    Michael Thatchergrandson will grow up in a world of more than 6
    billion people.

    Put in its bluntest form: the main threat to our environment is more
    and more people, and their activities: • The land they cultivate
    ever more intensively; • The forests they cut down and burn; • The
    mountain sides they lay bare; • The fossil fuels they burn; • The
    rivers and the seas they pollute.

    The result is that change in future is likely to be more fundamental
    and more widespread than anything we have known hitherto. Change to
    the sea around us, change to the atmosphere above, leading in turn
    to change in the world's climate, which could alter the way we live
    in the most fundamental way of all.

    That prospect is a new factor in human affairs. It is comparable in
    its implications to the discovery of how to split the atom. Indeed,
    its results could be even more far-reaching.

    THE LATEST SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE
    We are constantly learning more about these changes affecting our
    environment, and scientists from the Polar Institute in Cambridge
    and The British Antarctic Survey have been at the leading edge of
    research in both the Arctic and the Antarctic, warning us of the
    greater dangers that lie ahead. [end p4]

    Let me quote from a letter I received only two weeks ago, from a
    British scientist on board a ship in the Antarctic Ocean: he wrote,
    “In the Polar Regions today, we are seeing what may be early signs
    of man-induced climatic change. Data coming in from Halley Bay and
    from instruments aboard the ship on which I am sailing show that we
    are entering a Spring Ozone depletion which is as deep as, if not
    deeper, than the depletion in the worst year to date. It completely
    reverses the recovery observed in 1988. The lowest recording aboard
    this ship is only 150 Dobson units for Ozone total content during
    September, compared with 300 for the same season in a normal year.”
    That of course is a very severe depletion.

    He also reports on a significant thinning of the sea ice, and he
    writes that, in the Antarctic, “Our data confirm that the first-year
    ice, which forms the bulk of sea ice cover, is remarkably thin and
    so is probably unable to sustain significant atmospheric warming
    without melting. Sea ice, separates the ocean from the atmosphere
    over an area of more than 30 million square kilometres. It reflects
    most of the solar radiation falling on it, helping to cool the
    earth's surface. If this area were reduced, the warming of earth
    would be accelerated due to the extra absorption of radiation by the
    ocean.”

    “The lesson of these Polar processes,” he goes on, “is that an
    environmental or climatic change produced by man may take on a
    self-sustaining or ‘runaway’ quality … and may be irreversible.”
    That is from the scientists who are doing work on the ship that is
    presently considering these matters.

    These are sobering indications of what may happen and they led my
    correspondent to put forward the interesting idea of a World Polar
    Watch, amongst other initiatives, which will observe the world's
    climate system and allow us to understand how it works.

    We also have new scientific evidence from an entirely different
    area, the Tropical Forests. Through their capacity to evaporate vast
    volumes of water vapour, and of gases and particles which assist the
    formation of clouds, the forests serve to keep their regions cool
    and moist by weaving a sunshade of white reflecting clouds and by
    bringing the rain that sustains them.

    A recent study by our British Meteorological Office on the Amazon
    rainforest shows that large-scale deforestation may reduce rainfall
    and thus affect the climate directly. Past experience shows us that
    without trees there is no rain, and without rain there are no trees.
    [end p5]...

- -
https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107817

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli