[✔️] November 30, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | COP28 info, Disinfo perception, Thoughtful economics, smash window innocence, 1999 Exxon+Mobil

Thu Nov 30 13:24:27 EST 2023

/*November *//*30, 2023*/

[ journalists .. see COP directly ]
*Connecting to COP28*
An online portal for citizen observers of the 28th Conference of the Parties
2023 United Nations Climate Change Conference
30 November - 12 December 2023 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UA
https://sites.google.com/pdx.edu/connecting-to-cop28/home?authuser=0

/[ media ownership -- trying to own the means of perception - video inte ]/
*Oligarchy, Media and Markets | Peter Jukes*
Planet: Critical
Oct 5, 2023  #climatecrisis #politicalcrisis #economiccrisis
Oligarchy has infiltrated media—but the elite invited them in.

Keeping up with the revolving door between media, politics, intelligence
and corporations would make anyone queasy. There is an elite class of
people with access to power, wealth and influence, and they trade that
power, wealth and influence between them to keep it in the family. The
press would like us to think they’re the independent watchdog above it
all. It’s the greatest story they’ve ever spun.

Peter Jukes is the cofounder and executive editor of Byline Times, the
British media outlet created to expose corruption in media and write the
stories the establishment won’t. In this episode, he explains how
oligarchy took over the markets after 2008, the reality of the press
ecosystem, how it’s unravelling, and how to create a forum for ideology.

🔴 Byline Times: https://bylinetimes.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRn9U89eL5c

/[ Thoughtful economics]/
*Our Global Economy Won't Survive | Sandy TrustPlanet: Critical*
Nov 29, 2023  #politicalcrisis #ecocrisis #financialcrisis
What maniac would suggest a hothouse earth would be economically positive?

The financial services—and their incorrect models is costing us time to
implement effective policies to mitigate climate change as much as
possible. This is the warning from a report published by the Institute
of Actuaries. The Emperor’s New Climate Scenario’s warns that the world
of finance is massively underestimating the destruction climate change
will cause on our economy after 1.5 degrees of warming.

Sandy Trust, actuary and lead author, joins me to explain how such
thinking got baked into the financial services by way of one man’s dodgy
calculations, how to better interpret climate modelling, and the
difference between risk assessment and scientific assessment. This is a
truly fascinating conversation with Sandy expertly guiding us through
technical terms to reveal a stark image: The people in charge are
totally unaware of what’s coming.

🔴 The Emperor's New Climate Scenarios:
https://actuaries.org.uk/media/qeydewmk/the-emperor-s-new-climate-scenarios.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRO218ivW0

/[ Activism report from  WE WILL BEAR WITNESS ]/
*Not Guilty
Jury Acquits Women Who Broke Windows of Fossil Giant HSBC*
NOV 29, 2023
As war spreads and fossil toxins kill everything from bacteria to
clouds…. Peace between nations and peaceful relations with the Earth -
are threatened now as big money runs everything.  We don’t need a hero.
We need something we always had, Democracy.

The common sense of people talking, arguing, dancing and coming to
agreements - the democratic ideal is diluted into advertising slogans.
Corporate power has pulled  individuals apart, our conversations reduced
to shrieking pixels and traffic jams.  We have to re-invent loving
families and neighborhoods, where we make decisions about how to proceed
as friends who don’t have to weaponize their talk.

Corporations march through society like towering monsters.  Maybe the
Pentagon is the world’s biggest institution, or the oil industry and
their fossil banks which make so much money in this time of war.  The
nation states and corporations blend into each other in shifting
coalitions.  Their whole thing is based on extraction and the burning of
fossil fuel.  This makes war much more likely, and the Earth, humans and
other living things - have become part of the extraction.

These mega-institutions act like they have won their battle against the
Earth and those among us who keep trying to make democracy real, those
pesky environmentalists.  Now we have fossil toxins and bullets flying
everywhere, spreading from country to country, from forests to teenage
dances, from coral reefs to hospitals to the ancient glaciers.  Nothing
is worse for people and the Earth than war.

Is this scenario of violent institutions running everything - inevitable?

Once in a while something happens where we see daylight, the power of
individuals and communities suddenly returns.  Such a thing happened in
London, when a couple years ago 9 women walked up to the headquarters of
one of the principle climate criminals, the HSBC bank, and being careful
not hurt anyone - they smashed the windows of the front of the company
skyscraper.

HSBC immediately claimed that the damage would cost a half million
pounds sterling.  The government threw the book at the women, limiting
their movement, etc.  But now, after a six week trial, the jury has
found these women Not Guilty!  Their straightforward case was a
“Necessity Defense”. The women demonstrated that a small amount of
property damage compares dramatically with the worldwide violence of
HSBC’s fossil fuel emissions.  The women argued that their simple
demonstration is a necessary moral lesson in a political world where
people cannot defend themselves against suffering and early death.

The jury acted as an island of actual democracy.  The jurors asked for
materials to help them understand the fine print in the Paris Climate
Agreement.  They studied the toxins being financed by the bank.  They
started things off with an open mind, and built the details into a big
picture.  They put what was before them to the “common sense test.”
After listening to the women passionately defend humanity and the planet
Earth, the jury took only 2 hours of deliberation to set them free...
- -
Eleanor Bujak, a 30 year-old community organizer based in Hull, said in
her closing arguments:

“There is evidence, plenty of evidence, that ‘consent’ exists within the
very systems and structures we are trying to change. Of course it does.
Because everyone, including the shareholders of banks, need a livable
planet. When these are the stakes, of course I believed they would
consent to a sum of damage that, when put into context, equates to less
than a penny of an average person’s salary.
I believe in people doing the right thing. In a world in which buildings
and corporations can’t feel pain, they can’t bleed or mourn. But people
can. A world where it shouldn’t just be up to a handful of rich and
powerful people to decide the future, it should be up to all of us.”
By caving in the front of the the office building of a fossil fuel
giant, these women have forced honest language into the foreground. The
kinds of thoughts that we have printed above - are startling in their
simplicity, their creative nonviolence.  We wonder, as we read, how we
could go so long ignoring our best selves.

Watching this trial unfold, we watched the women bypass the barristers
and formalities passed down from the powerful.  The women chose to
represent themselves and go directly to straight talk with their fellow
citizens.  They asked, “Do we want this violence of the money-makers to
rule us any longer? …or will we take care of one another?
https://open.substack.com/pub/wewillbearwitness/p/not-guilty

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*November 30, 1999 */
November 30, 1999: Exxon and Mobil complete their merger.
http://money.cnn.com/1999/11/30/deals/exxonmobil/

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli