[✔️] September 17, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Naomi Klein disinformation 2023, Climate Lobbyists, F Minus investigations, Solar energy for the home, UN - Our True Paradise, 2011 Occupy Wall Street stops Keystone XL

Sun Sep 17 10:26:23 EDT 2023

/*September 17*//*, 2023*/

/[  See the video after September 17 at 8:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-35G2ZxhYU  ] /
*Naomi Klein: Tackling the “Doppelganger”, Disinformation & the Hidden
Threat of Individualism
*The Laura Flanders Show
Premieres Sep 17, 2023
Stay informed and engaged! Don't miss out on our captivating weekly
episodes that dive deep into the heart of our economy, culture, and
politics. SUBSCRIBE HERE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFLRxVeYcB1H7DbuYZQG-lg

Politics abhors a vacuum. Without credible explanations for the things
that bewilder and exasperate us, people become susceptible to extremist
conspiracy theories, hate and lies. So how does truth survive? In her
brand new book, "Doppelganger: A Trip into the Mirror World”,
award-winning journalist Naomi Klein, (author of No Logo, The Shock
Doctrine, et al), describes being confused with Naomi Wolf, author of
The Beauty Myth, as Wolf morphed into a conspiracy-minded anti-vaxxer
during the Covid pandemic. In an era of all important "personal brands",
Klein became absorbed in the deep fake, double worlds surrounding and
sometimes coming to represent her online. Right-wing conspiracies feed
off Left-wing silences, she concludes. In this far-ranging interview
from her home in British Columbia, Canada, Klein describes listening to
hours and hours of conspiracist Steve Bannon's podcasts, and researching
doppelgangers in history and literature, in order to uncover why we have
shadow selves, and how disinformation and conspiracy theories gain
power. Join Laura Flanders for this charming conversation as Naomi Klein
challenges us to overcome divide-and-conquer individualism if we are
ever to tackle our real-life, systemic crises. And Laura shares a few
thoughts on learning from our elders about the pre-digital age.

🔹 Topics Covered:

    1️⃣ Disinformation & 'Mirror World Platforms': Why are alternative
    platforms becoming hotbeds for conspiracy theories? How can we
    address the spread of disinformation? What happens when
    conspiracy-minded figures are deplatformed from mainstream social media?
    2️⃣ Draining Conspiracy Culture: Why does conspiracy culture hold
    such allure, and how do we drain conspiracy culture of its power?
    3️⃣ The Pressure Cooker of Capitalism: Naomi Klein dives into
    capitalism and how it encourages us to "optimize" ourselves.
    4️⃣ Collective Movement Building: Why collective action, rather than
    individualistic solutions, is the way forward to solve systemic
    problems.
    5️⃣ Digital Identity Vs Real World: How is our perception of others
    distorted in the digital realm, and what can we do about it?
    6️⃣ The Power of Activism: Discussing real human experiences,
    activism and community building to transcend the digital divide.
    7️⃣ Learning from Our Elders: The importance of engaging with older
    generations to understand that different lifestyles and systems are
    not just possible, but have existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-35G2ZxhYU

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFLRxVeYcB1H7DbuYZQG-lg

/[ shocking revelation --  California graft ]/
*Climate Lobbyists Hijack Progressive Climate Bills - Rebecca Burns*
theAnalysis-news
Sep 15, 2023  #climatechange #uspolitics #fossilfuels
Rebecca Burns, journalist at the investigative news outlet The Lever,
discusses her reporting on extensive lobbying efforts to hold up
legislation which would require companies to disclose all of their
greenhouse gas emissions. In a recent report, she details how the same
lobbyists who seek to derail progressive climate legislation in
California are also getting paid by counties and cities along the
California coast to deal with the impact of coastal erosion and fires.

Click here to read and support The Lever: https://www.levernews.com/
Please donate at https://theanalysis.news/donate/ - we can't do this
without you.
- -
Come visit us at https://theanalysis.news

Sign up for our newsletter: https://theanalysis.news/newsletter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC_Wki0QnUI

/- -
/

/[ reference to new website  F minus   ]/
*F Minus opens a new front in the climate fight: *a call for divestment
from fossil fuel lobbyists.
Launched in July 2023, F Minus is using its revolutionary database of
state-level lobbyists for upstream and midstream oil, gas, and coal
interests to demonstrate the extent to which these lobbyists are also
representing people, schools, communities, and businesses being harmed
by the climate crisis.

The fossil fuel industry is rapidly losing the social license needed to
build new projects as the severity of the climate crisis becomes
increasingly clear and the public embraces the energy transition.
Nevertheless, the fossil fuel industry remains firmly embedded in state
capitols because of positive or merely neutral public opinion about its
lobbyists, more than 1,500 of whom also represent non-fossil fuel
companies, schools, nonprofits, and other organizations whose activities
are perceived as beneficial. F Minus is disrupting this dynamic and
calling on people to fire their fossil fuel lobbyists.

*Research*
Multi-client lobbyists are often described as “gatekeepers” to state
officials because of their personal relationships and broad range of
expertise. State lobbying laws prohibit these multi-client lobbyists
from lobbying on both sides of a particular piece of legislation or
other governmental action, but nothing prohibits a fossil fuel lobbyist
from also working for a company or an organization that is being
negatively impacted by the climate crisis.

Research by F Minus reveals a political landscape in which victims of
the crisis and advocates for Net Zero and other climate goals routinely
hire lobbyists who are promoting further dependence on fossil fuels on
behalf of their other clients.
https://fminus.org/research/

/[ Solar energy if the sun shines on your roof,  Dave Roberts interview ]/
*How to accelerate rooftop solar & household batteries in the US*
A conversation with Sunrun CEO Mary Powell.
SEP 15, 2023
In Australia, one out of three households has solar panels on the roof.
In the US, it’s one out of 25. That probably has something to do with
the fact that in the US, rooftop solar is twice as expensive, twice the
hassle, and takes twice as long to get installed.

Why is the process so broken? And what could be done to make it smoother
and faster?

To discuss these and related matters, I went to the source: Mary Powell,
the CEO of Sunrun, the nation’s largest residential rooftop solar
company — or more accurately, the nation’s largest residential
electrification company.

Before taking the top spot at Sunrun, Powell spent more than 20 years in
leadership at Green Mountain Power, Vermont’s largest power utility and
a nationally recognized pioneer in clean energy. Sunrun brought her on
to help the company move into products — batteries, EV chargers, virtual
power plants — that were once thought the province of utilities.
I talked with her about how to speed up the rooftop solar
interconnection process, the role of net metering, Sunrun’s move into
vehicle charging and VPPs, and the future of distributed energy...

https://www.volts.wtf/p/how-to-accelerate-rooftop-solar-and?r=10305&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

/[  UN series  ]/
*A True Paradise: WHERE WE ARE HEADING - Kevin Anderson*
United Nations University - E
Jun 8, 2023
Climate scientist Kevin Anderson warns that continuing on our current
path could result in a 3-4°C temperature rise by the end of the century,
a catastrophic outcome to be avoided at all costs. He cautions against
believing the political rhetoric about progress in the fight against
climate change and calls on us to push for bold policy changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_FtS_HNbkc
- -
*A True Paradise: OVERCOMING PARALYSIS - Christiana Figueres*
United Nations University - E
Jun 2, 2023
Christiana Figueres, former Executive Secretary of the UNFCCC and a key
negotiator of the 2015 Paris Agreement, recognizes the despair that can
arise from ‚climate paralysis‘ and the realization that climate
predictions have come true. Nevertheless, she urges us to regain our
sense of agency and tap into the ‚stubborn optimism‘ within ourselves
that is essential for driving the necessary change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQDE7Wu-xrM
- -
*True Paradise: AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT - Johan Rockström*
United Nations University
Jun 2, 2023
Climate scientist Johan Rockström explains the urgency of operating
within "planetary boundaries“ - the planetary life-support systems
essential for maintaining human life on Earth. By following the
recommendations of science, Rockström believes we can avert an
ecological and climate collapse and create a healthier, more prosperous
future. But we have to act decisively now - or we will completely fail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STzhJPapFW4

/[The news archive - looking back at the power of popular demonstration ]/
/*September 17, 2011*/
September 17, 2011:

The Occupy Wall Street movement begins in New York City. Writer Naomi
Klein would later credit OWS for prompting a delay of the Obama
administration's final decision on the Keystone XL pipeline.
Naomi Klein: Obama's Delay of Keystone XL Oil Pipeline Decision is Win
for Environmentalists

www.democracynow.org - Environmental activists are claiming victory
after the Obama administration announced Thursday it will postpone any
decision on the proposed 1,700-mile Keystone XL tar sands oil pipeline
until 2013. The announcement was made just days after more than 10,000
people encircled the White House calling on President Obama to reject
the project, the second major action against the project organized by
Bill McKibben's 350.org and Tar Sands Action. In late August and early
September, some 1,200 people were arrested in Washington, D.C., in a
two-week campaign of civil disobedience. "We believe that this delay
will kill the pipeline," says the Canadian author and activist Naomi
Klein at a Nov. 10 event sponsored by The Nation magazine in New York
City. "If it doesn't, if this pipeline re-emerges after the election,
people have signed pledges saying they will put their bodies on the line
to stop it."

For the complete interview, read the transcript, download the podcast,
and for additional Democracy Now! reports about the Keystone XL
pipeline, visit http://www.democracynow.org

http://youtu.be/MJ8CoxnjjZg

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli