[✔️] September 24, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Saltwater intrusion - no drinking, Kate Marvel, Our Food is killing us, Petromasculinity, Borges quote, 2007 Arnold at the UN.

Sun Sep 24 10:27:46 EDT 2023

/*September 24*//*, 2023*/

/[ Water everywhere, but never a drop to drink ]/
*Saltwater in the Mississippi Threatens Water Supply in New Orleans *
Extreme heat and low rainfall in the Midwest this summer caused the
river level to plummet, making it vulnerable to a saltwater “wedge” from
the Gulf of Mexico.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/23/us/saltwater-mississippi-new-orleans.html

/[  Must-hear in this now classic from earlier this month - //climate
scientist //Kate Marvel interviewed by David Wallace-Wells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g23amgS49MM ]/
*What Have We Learned From a Summer of Climate Reckoning?*
New York Times Podcasts
Sep 5, 2023  The Ezra Klein Show
This summer has been a parade of broken climate records. June was the
hottest June and July was not just the hottest July but the hottest
month ever on record. At the same time, it looks like we are at the
start of a green revolution: Decarbonization efforts have gone far
better than what many had hoped for just a few years ago, and renewable
energy is getting cheaper.

How should we make sense of these seemingly mixed signals? What does it
mean to hold the pessimism of climate disaster and the optimism of
climate action together?

There are few individuals better suited to navigate these questions than
Kate Marvel, a senior climate scientist at Project Drawdown. In a
conversation with guest host David Wallace-Wells, Marvel explores
whether climate change is “accelerating,” why reducing air pollution
will lead to more warming before it leads to less; how the human
response to a changing climate can be more unpredictable than the
climate itself; how witch burnings increased during the last major
change in climate; what the relationship is between hotter weather and
social unrest; how decarbonization sets us on track to avoiding the
worst-case climate models; why, despite all the challenges ahead, there
are still immeasurable benefits to fighting for a cleaner planet and
much more.

This episode was hosted by David Wallace-Wells, a writer at The New York
Times Magazine and the author of “The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After
Warming...
https://youtu.be/g23amgS49MM?si=j_UXDub_3umHjhvv

/[  Food is a capital enterprise first, and it promotes global warming ]/
*Our Food is Killing Us*
Our Changing Climate

Sep 22, 2023  #farming #agriculture #climatechange
Get 40% off Nebula using my link: https://go.nebula.tv/occ
Watch next month's video right now on Nebula: https://nebula.tv/occ/latest
Watch Second Thought's Nebula series on fascism here:
https://nebula.tv/thenewfword?ref=occ

In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I examine the
causes and destruction of our current industrialized food system.
Specifically, I dive into the capitalist commodification of food, and
how most of the industrialized farming that takes place in the imperial
core doesn't produce crops for our consumption. Instead, the majority of
the "food" we grow goes toward animal feed and biofuels. In addition,
the fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides that our current
industrialized farming system gobbles up are derived from fossil fuels.
Essentially, fossil fuel corporations are laundering their dirty fuels
through the very chemicals farmers use to grow their crops. Our food
system is broken. We're in desperate need of a new agro-ecological
revolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkbop26PMMs

/[ White men and climate change -- PetroMasculinity - thoughtful
commentary --  YouTube video]/
*Are Men Killing the Planet?*
Our Changing Climate
Aug 25, 2023  #patriarchy #feminism #climatechange
In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I explore how
patriarchy destroy the planet and drives climate change. Specifically, I
look at how threads of patriarchal masculinities, like petromasculinity
and ecomodern masculinity are wielded and pervade responses to the
climate crisis. These patriarchal responses to climate change not only
obstruct needed action, but they have devasting consequences for gender
liberation and environmental health.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddyOe7vm5R0

/[ must read more Borges ]/
*On Exactitude in Science*
Jorge Luis Borges, Collected Fictions, translated by Andrew Hurley.

     …In that Empire, the Art of Cartography attained such Perfection
that the map of a
     single Province occupied the entirety of a City, and the map of the
Empire, the entirety
     of a Province. In time, those Unconscionable Maps no longer
satisfied, and the
     Cartographers Guilds struck a Map of the Empire whose size was that
of the Empire, and
     which coincided point for point with it. The following Generations,
who were not so
     fond of the Study of Cartography as their Forebears had been, saw
that that vast Map
     was Useless, and not without some Pitilessness was it, that they
delivered it up to the
     Inclemencies of Sun and Winters. In the Deserts of the West, still
today, there are
     Tattered Ruins of that Map, inhabited by Animals and Beggars; in
all the Land there is
     no other Relic of the Disciplines of Geography.

—Suarez Miranda,Viajes devarones prudentes, Libro IV,Cap. XLV, Lerida, 1658
https://kwarc.info/teaching/TDM/Borges.pdf

/[The news archive - looking back a new politician Arnold at the United
Nations]/
/*September 24, 2007*/
September 24, 2007: California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger addresses
the United Nations on his state's efforts to reduce carbon pollution.

http://www.climate-debate.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-address-to-the-united-nations-on-global-climate-change-r6.php

http://youtu.be/LnPNvIHqaRo

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli