[✔️] September 26, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Agency report, Executive summary, United Nations University, Survive trauma, Media damages, Predicting predicament, 2004 Fox knew

Tue Sep 26 07:09:38 EDT 2023

/*September 26*//*, 2023*/

/[ The Peak is well known, inevitable, may have passed ] /
*Peak Oil Is Near, Energy Agency Says, but Climate Change Is Far From
Solved*
Despite the rapid growth of electric vehicles and solar power, other
efforts to tackle warming are lagging, according to the International
Energy Agency.
By Brad Plumer
Sept. 26, 2023
Cleaner energy technologies like electric cars and solar panels are
spreading so rapidly that the global use of oil, coal and natural gas
could peak this decade, but countries will still need to pursue more
aggressive measures if they want to limit global warming to relatively
safe levels, the world’s leading energy agency said Tuesday.
In a new report, the International Energy Agency issued an updated road
map of what it would take to slash the world’s energy-related greenhouse
gas emissions to nearly zero by 2050. Doing so would probably prevent
global temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, or 2.7
degrees Fahrenheit, above preindustrial levels, a goal many world
leaders have endorsed in order to lessen the risk of catastrophic
climate disruptions...
- -
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/26/climate/iaea-road-map-renewable-energy.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/26/climate/iaea-road-map-renewable-energy.html?unlocked_article_code=OYD_I1rth19TAIpsSrRQmhgN6VfyAG_82-hmL7HCguLjjYIZJ5M13VNx8FoelqV-T1VT65MlJcT3XCBIzBY7cbRoN7ni2nQ1jtkW34uqpL-VHwGgT2tI3H2eHkVtkyUqyx-9kWSeoU1MK0atDKlrMbq-LCaD3DtG6CssRgUEhPtecFwJmQfLDTeDGnN3KH5rfSlRS3rLS6LVyZvps1CXcA_NYuBYJx5boL-2p5h3Z3OTKWQHvcR67TkBKb4mStx2aeb76YhjX-hwVcfWTgfoKPINHmwuPGnNQ8Q7xQOd7aBLyO307z4rZ4ZZjTvs0UZVamUJB1gLB4b1MdAatM3QIUlgt2AFoBGb&smid=url-share

- -

/[ IEA Executive summary using a techno-fides attitude ]/

    *The path to 1.5 °C has narrowed, but clean energy growth is keeping
    it open...*
    *We have the tools needed to go much faster...*
    *Renewables and efficiency are key to drive fossil fuel demand down...*
    *Accelerating electrification and cutting methane are also essential...*
    *Innovation is already delivering new tools and lowering their cost..*
    *But we still need to do much more, notably on infrastructure...*
    *Increasing clean energy investment in developing countries is vital...*
    *As clean energy expands and fossil fuel demand declines in the NZE
    Scenario, there is no need for investment in new coal, oil and
    natural gas*
    *The net zero emissions transition must be secure and affordable..*
    *There is no low international co-operation route to limit warming
    to 1.5 °C and no slow route either...*
    *Fierce urgency of now...*

https://www.iea.org/reports/net-zero-roadmap-a-global-pathway-to-keep-the-15-0c-goal-in-reach

https://www.iea.org/reports/net-zero-roadmap-a-global-pathway-to-keep-the-15-0c-goal-in-reach/executive-summary

( more at
https://www.iea.org/reports/net-zero-roadmap-a-global-pathway-to-keep-the-15-0c-goal-in-reach/progress-in-the-clean-energy-transition#abstract
)

/[ United Nations University - Interconnected - Disaster - Risks - a
YouTube channel ]/
@unitednationsuniversity-eh6999970 subscribers196 videos
*Welcome to the official Youtube channel of the United Nations
University's Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS).*
Description
Welcome to the official Youtube channel of the United Nations
University's Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS).

The United Nations University (UNU) is the academic arm of the United
Nations and acts as a global think tank.
We carry out cutting-edge research on environmental hazards, promoting
policies and programmes to reduce risks and strengthen adaptation.

On our channel you will find documentaries, interviews and explainers
about who we are, and the work we do.
https://www.youtube.com/@unitednationsuniversity-eh6999/about

/[  Full text transcript and audio podcast  ]/
*The Wisdom of Survivors: Overcoming Global Trauma*
JEFF SCHECHTMAN 09/22/23
Dr. Robert J. Lifton on our collective traumas: The psychic impacts of
COVID-19, climate change, gun violence, and divisive politics. A look at
resilience in our time.

Our era is defined by trauma — from COVID-19 to climate change, divisive
politics to economic pressures, gun violence and generational upheavals.
And the collective effect of all these traumas can make it pretty hard
to face the day.

Robert J. Lifton, this week’s guest on the WhoWhatWhy podcast, has
inspiring and realistic ideas for coping with it all, as suggested by
the title of his latest book, _Surviving Our Catastrophes: Resilience
and Renewal from Hiroshima to COVID-19. _

The 97-year-old Lifton, a renowned psychiatrist, is also the author of
the National Book Award–winning Death in Life: Survivors of Hiroshima
and Losing Reality: On Cults, Cultism, and the Mindset of Political and
Religious Zealotry.

  ( audio
http://whowhatwhy.libsyn.com/the-wisdom-of-survivors-overcoming-global-trauma
)
Lifton argues that acknowledging these catastrophes is the first step
toward resilience and renewal. He introduces the concept of “survivor
wisdom,” urging us all to transform from helpless victims to
life-enhancing survivors.

Lifton also discusses the threats to democracy and the role of
misinformation in shaping public opinion.

His work serves as a roadmap for navigating these collective traumas,
offering invaluable insights into how society can pull together when it
seems that everything is pulling it apart...

    *Jeff:***Today we’re joined by Robert J. Lifton, a legendary figure
    in psychiatry, and most of all, in analyzing what ails us as a
    nation. His latest work, Surviving Our Catastrophes, serves as a
    compass in navigating the collective traumas that increasingly
    define our era. We’re 23 years into the 21st Century, and the pace
    of change and trauma seems to be accelerated beyond our ability to cope.

    *Jeff*: It does seem that events, the tragedies, the trauma are
    coming at us at a faster pace today and in many ways faster even
    than our ability to recover from each one.

    *Robert:* Well, yes. And the first thing we must do is quite simple,
    recognize the catastrophes for what they are. Whether they’re
    nuclear, climate, COVID, or the threat to democracy. Each of these
    is a catastrophe or a potential catastrophe. And if we are to deal
    with our catastrophes, we must first acknowledge them, and then we
    can call upon what I call survivor power and survivor wisdom. But
    our first step is fully acknowledging these catastrophes. I would
    say further that there’s a whole historical or even evolutionary
    tendency for societies to go through catastrophe and then undergo a
    struggle to recover from that catastrophe. But catastrophes are
    always with us, and it’s our task to cope with them.

    *Jeff: *Is there a point that so many of them happen in such rapid
    succession and don’t give us enough time to recover, that there’s a
    tipping point from which it’s very difficult, if not almost
    impossible, to find equilibrium again?

    *Robert:* Yes, it can be. And actually, our mind doesn’t always
    separate out the individual catastrophes in a fully evident way. It
    sometimes tends to dwell on an atmosphere of catastrophe. It can
    even become apocalyptic. But there are also forces at play in our
    society that identify the individual catastrophes, and in doing so,
    can help us, despite what you are saying is a kind of barrage of
    catastrophes, which can indeed be confusing.

    The human mind is equipped to take in catastrophes because one of
    our evolutionary achievements is to imagine what can happen, and
    that imagination goes beyond the immediate. I speak of that at the
    end of my book as imagining the real, imagining the real, a
    statement of Martin Buber, which meant that we had to bring to our
    imagination the reality of the catastrophes we’re discussing.
      - -
    *Jeff: *How do you see climate change and fear of that fitting into
    this equation of trauma that we’re talking about?

    *Robert: *Now, I write that when the self is exposed to extreme
    trauma, it can either shut down or open up, and often it does a
    little of both. And in that way, the survivors of extreme trauma
    have– There is the task of people exposed to extreme trauma, the
    task of transforming from helpless victims, which they can be at
    first as they are injured physically and psychologically, or
    potentially. So they must transfer from the helpless victim to the
    change-promoting or life-enhancing survivor because the
    life-enhancing survivor can be a great force in enabling a society
    to recover from catastrophe or even avoid it. And the survivor
    becomes a key figure once that transformation can be made.

http://whowhatwhy.libsyn.com/the-wisdom-of-survivors-overcoming-global-trauma

https://whowhatwhy.org/podcast/the-wisdom-of-survivors-overcoming-global-trauma/?utm_source=WhoWhatWhy+Now&utm_campaign=0610054e91-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2_1_2021_16_41_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6b3f79a618-0610054e91-251516477

/[ attacks on activism - audio and transcript ]/
*The Media’s Role in Criminalizing Protest*
Before you can criminalize protest, you have to vilify protestors.
Next week, we're going to start our new season, The Real Free Speech
Threat, covering the growing criminalization of environmental protest
around the world. It's our first big cross border series, and it will
include dozens of stories, both in the podcast and online. One thing
we'll be looking at in the media's role in enabling this trend.

Before you can criminalize protest, you have to vilify the protesters.
And to do that effectively, you need the media's help. Evlondo Cooper at
Media Matters reviewed media coverage of climate protests in the U. S.
from May 30th, 2022 to July 31st, 2023 for a new study.

He documented a trend that we've been seeing too. Not only has the U. S.
media perpetuated the idea that climate protesters are uniquely
disruptive, and radical, but their general failure to cover anything
about climate protest other than the disruption that they cause, further
perpetuates this thinking.

Evlondo's research found that while multiple national outlets have run
stories about climate protesters being annoying and destructive, not a
single broadcaster has run even one story on the fact that nearly half
of the states in the U. S. have now passed laws criminalizing protest.
That fact is both shocking and worrisome.

    *[00:21:57] Evlondo Cooper:* I think the media, they think that if
    they mentioned climate change or connected to an extreme weather
    event, You know, that, that is an improvement, but this is what
    should have been happening 10, 20 years ago.

    What they don't understand is that they have to rapidly improve
    their coverage to catch up to where we are now. We're way past just
    mentioning climate change and being like, hooray, you, you mentioned
    climate. I mean, thank you for doing it. Again, keep doing it.

    [00:22:21] Amy: Yes.

    *[00:22:23] Evlondo Cooper*: You have to like rapidly scale up, um,
    the, the quality of your coverage.

    And I just don't, I, I think they're still caught up in what we were
    mentioning climate. We're saying extreme weather. But we're way past
    that and they need to really, and the more people, more groups can
    agitate for that kind of rapid improvement and shame, shame them, I
    think the better.

https://drilled.media/news/trfst-media

/[ Article in Salon draws on trusted scientific sources ]/
*Climate change will raise sea levels, cause apocalyptic floods and
displace almost a billion people*
Humanity needs to plan accordingly for the countless number of future
climate refugees fleeing rising oceans
By MATTHEW ROZSA - Staff Writer
PUBLISHED AUGUST 28, 2023

When climatologist Dr. Twila Moon described a future of climate
change-caused horrors as "baked in," she may not have intended to create
a darkly apt pun for global warming. Certainly the future she laid out
for sea level rise, a term for an increase in the level of the world's
oceans, is a very grim one. As humans burn fossil fuels and emit so many
greenhouse gases that they unnaturally overheat the planet, scientists
agree that complex processes result which culminate in rising sea levels.

"Sea level rise from our past of heat trapping emissions is really baked
in for the next few decades," Moon, who is the deputy lead scientist at
NASA's National Snow and Ice Data Center explained. "We are going to be
seeing sea levels rise for the next several decades."

Moon says this will occur regardless of the actions undertaken today,
and humanity will need to plan accordingly. There will be an increased
number of inland floods, permanently changed coastlines and
infrastructure damage, including everything from water sewage to
transportation. If the billions of people who live near the coasts
decide to move further away from the ocean, there will also be a massive
population shift fueled by climate refugees.

Salon wanted to learn more about the consequences of sea level rise —
how bad the inevitable will be, and how much worse it will turn out if
humanity fails to control the "super emitters" among us (that is, the
wealthy who are disproportionately responsible for climate change). At
the same time, there is also cause for hope, if for no other reason than
our species is armed with that most powerful of weapons: Our scientific
knowledge.

It was that very knowledge which led mankind to collectively sign the
Paris climate agreement in 2015, which primarily exists to commit the
species to restrict global warming to 1.5°C — and certainly no higher
than 2°C — above pre-industrial levels. To understand the base case
scenario for sea level rise due to climate change, one must start with a
hypothetical universe in which humanity meets its Paris climate
agreement targets.

"If we are able to keep below 2º C degrees warming above pre-industrial
levels, the likely range of global sea-level rise by 2100 is between 0.4
and 0.7 m (1.3 f to 2.3 f), with a median projection of 0.5 m (1.6 f),"
explained Dr. Ben Hamlington, research scientist at the NASA Jet
Propulsion Laboratory and Dr. William Sweet, oceanographer at the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), in an email.
They later added that when it comes to the United States and its
coastline, "this would be about 0.7 m of rise on average above 2000
levels (about 0.6 m [2 feet]) above 2020 levels) due to other factors
like regional changes in land elevation, ocean heating and circulation
and gravitation and rotational effects from land-based ice melt and
discharge."

Of course, this is only the absolute best case scenario. There are a
wide range of possible outcomes in terms of climate change predictions,
and with each one comes a different situation for regions on or near the
world's coasts. If you want to look at your own community and how it
will fare amidst various contingencies, NASA has a very helpful (albeit
imperfect) website for doing that: A sea level projection tool that
takes users to a map and a panel where they can select specific
scenarios in terms of climate change. (The SSP1-2.6 and SSP1-1.9
scenarios are those ones that meet the 2015 accord targets.) Yet if you
want to know the worst case scenario, Hamlington and Sweet offer a
succinct summary.

"The worst case is associated with the potential for rapid ice sheet
loss and subsequent sea level rise," they wrote. "'Rapid' still refers
to changes occurring over decades and not years, but if some of the
deeply uncertain physical processes in the Antarctic come into play, sea
level rise could approach 2 meters by 2100 [6.6 feet] and substantially
higher after 2100. This is among the most active areas of research and
our understanding of the possible upper end of sea level rise continues
to evolve."

They later narrowed their scope to analyzing merely the United States,
arguing that "a worst case scenario that we have developed for the U.S.
is defined by the high sea level scenario of 2 meters by 2100 globally.
At a regional level, this high sea level scenario would equate to a 1.8
meters [5.9 feet] rise along the US NW Pacific coastline to 2.6 meters
[8.5 feet] along the Western Gulf coast. In short, U.S. coastlines would
fundamentally change and put most coastal infrastructure/systems at risk
of serious damages or total failure based upon today's vulnerabilities."
To understand why the worst case scenario is so bad, one needs to start
with grasping how "sea level rise is insidious," in the words of Dr.
Kevin E. Trenberth, a distinguished scholar at the National Center for
Atmospheric Research. "It is mostly, about 60% due to melting of land
ice (glaciers, Greenland, Antarctica) that puts more water into the
oceans. Most of the rest is from thermal expansion of the ocean as it
warms up."

As such, the effects of sea level rise depend on a number of variables
including "the rise in ocean waters [versus] the land" as "in many
places land is subsiding because of ground water withdrawals etc. And
locally that can be a major factor, but it is far from universal,"
Trenberth said. It also depends on highly unpredictable factors like the
tide and whether there are strong storm surges.

"There is a fair bit of resilience in coastal regions because of tides
and storms; it is when all factors coincide that risk of inundation and
erosion etc is greatest," Trenberth wrote. "Modeling of ice sheets is
primitive and uncertain. The West Antarctic ice is grounded below sea
level and is vulnerable and could collapse at some point. But sea level
rise is relentless. Because of uncertainties it is generally best not to
say what [sea level rise] is at a particular date but rather that the
amount in question occurs between these dates...  It is not a matter of
if but when."

Moon also alluded to the importance of recognizing that the experts are
uncertain about the finer details of how climate change will manifest
itself. Indeed, even their gloomier projections do not necessarily spell
doom for people who live in coastal regions. Humans can be surprisingly
resilient, after all

"People have created all sorts of ways to live in more challenging
places that flood," Moon said when asked about the likelihood of mass
climate refugee crises. "Someone who maybe lived in a more standard
construction might decide to build themself something on stilts, and
they can live in the same place with a very different amount of
flooding. And they might have to get around in different ways. There
might be different services available to them. You can't think of it in
as it entirely black and white as far as who's going to stay put and
who's going to move."

At the end of the day, "a lot depends on us," Dr. Michael E. Mann, a
professor of Earth and Environmental Science at the University of
Pennsylvania, said. "If we act to reduce carbon emissions dramatically
in the decades ahead, we can probably keep sea level rise to roughly a
meter by 2100. That would be hugely disruptive but not civilization
ending. It would mean the displacement of hundreds of millions of
people, but it would take place over decades, and managed, orderly
retreat would be possible."

By contrast, Mann said, "if we continue with business-as-usual fossil
fuel burning, we could be looking at 6 feet of sea level rise by the end
of the century, the displacement of nearly a billion people, and we
can't rule out the possibility that it would happen on an accelerated
timeframe. So we still have much to say about this."
https://www.salon.com/2023/08/28/climate-change-will-raise-sea-levels-cause-apocalyptic-floods-and-displace-almost-a-billion-people/

/[ The news archive - looking back at media insight ]/
/*September 26, 2004 */
September 26, 2004: In an apparent attack on his own bosses at the Fox
News Channel, Bill O'Reilly tells CBS News's Mike Wallace:

    "[The] government's gotta be proactive on [the] environment. Global
    warming is here. All these idiots that run around and say it isn't
    here? That's ridiculous!"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-oreilly-no-spin/

http://youtu.be/ZD39QY8ew3c

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli