[✔️] September 28, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Daniel Schmachtenberger. Norrsken Fouindation, Dave Roberts on politics, City Climate Corner, RealClimate Old Habits, Butterflys, 2007 Lunt\z and GWBush

Thu Sep 28 00:31:08 EDT 2023

/*September 28*//*, 2023*/

/[ Brilliant lecture  50 min video ]
/ *Daniel Schmachtenberger l An introduction to the Metacrisis l
Stockholm Impact/Week 2023*
Norrsken Foundation
Sep 20, 2023
An introduction to the Metacrisis by Daniel Schmachtenberger, founding
member of The Consilience Project. Moderated by Niklas Adalberth,
founder of Norrsken Foundation. Recorded live during Stockholm
Impact/Week 2023.

Stockholm Impact Week is an annual Summit hosted by Norrsken and the
City of Stockholm, dedicated to defining the critical issues of our time
and enabling solutions to them.

Read more about Norrsken Foundation: norrsken.org
Read more about Stockholm Impact/Week 2023: impactweek.se
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBoLVvoqVY

- -

/[ visit the YouTube channel  ]/
*Norrsken Foundation*
https://www.norrsken.org/
https://www.youtube.com/@norrskenfoundation1979/featured

/[ Audio -- about serious political change --  Dave Roberts interview
--SEP 27 • 52M ]/
*Minnesota forces transportation planners to take climate change seriously*
A conversation with state Representative Larry Kraft.
In 2022, Democrats narrowly won a trifecta in Minnesota — House, Senate,
and governor — whereupon they launched into an absolute frenzy of
activity, passing bills on everything from abortion to paid leave to gun
control to free school lunch to clean energy. Vanity Fair called it a
“tour de force for progressive legislation.”

I covered the state’s new clean-energy law on a previous pod, but I also
wanted to take a closer look at the big transportation bill that was
signed in May. It passed somewhat under the radar, but it’s got some
very cool stuff in it.

One key feature is that it requires both state and municipal
transportation-planning agencies to take the state’s climate goals into
account when assessing new projects — to hold themselves accountable to
those goals. As obvious as that may seem, it’s not something any other
state has done.

To discuss the significance of this and some other provisions of the
bill, I contacted one of its primary authors, first-term state
Representative Larry Kraft (D). We talked about what these changes mean
for transportation planners, the kinds of transportation projects that
can reduce emissions, the new money the state will raise for public
transit, and the state’s new e-bike incentive (!).

By the way, if you enjoy this conversation, you should know that Kraft
co-hosts a podcast of his own, on climate policy in small and mid-sized
cities. It’s called City Climate Corner, with co-host Abby Finis. Check
it out.

https://www.volts.wtf/p/minnesota-forces-transportation-planners

https://www.volts.wtf/p/minnesota-forces-transportation-planners?utm_source=podcast-email%2Csubstack&publication_id=193024&post_id=137058667&utm_campaign=email-play-on-substack&utm_medium=email&r=e3p5r#details

- -

/[ from comments ]/
J.Petri
*I recommend the "City Climate Corner" *podcast. I listen to it
regularly. This podcast "Explores how small and mid-sized cities are
tackling climate change and moving toward an equitable and sustainable
future." The podcasts are always interesting, and cover a range of
topics: Boise's geothermal energy district; Santa Monica's 3D printed
bike lanes.... Check it out: https://www.cityclimatecorner.com/
https://open.substack.com/pub/davidroberts/p/minnesota-forces-transportation-planners?r=10305&utm_campaign=comment-list-share-cta&utm_medium=web&comments=true&commentId=40774914

--

/[ Excellent site ]/
*City Climate Corner*

/[  Discover emerging climate news from climate scientists at
RealClimate.org    ] /
*Old habits*
26 SEP 2023 BY RASMUS
Media awareness about global warming and climate change has grown fairly
steadily since 2004. My impression is that journalists today tend to
possess a higher climate literacy than before. This increasing awareness
and improved knowledge is encouraging, but there are also some common
interpretations which could be more nuanced. Here are two examples,
polar amplification and extreme rainfall.

*Polar amplification*
A recent report on the ice on Greenland in the Washington Post discussed
the melting of land-based ice on Greenland. The melting of ice in the
polar regions is a great concern and is exacerbated by the so-called
Polar Amplification which is responsible for a rapid warming in the
polar region, especially in the Arctic.

In the said report, the fast pace of melting was explained as a
consequence of a spiraling effect, where retreating ice uncovers a
darker surface that soaks up more heat from the sunlight (the so-called
albedo-feedback):

Vanishing land ice — such as ice sheets and glaciers — can also create a
feedback loop. But because land isn’t quite as dark as the surface of
the ocean, it doesn’t cause as much additional heating. This is partly
why the South Pole (which is covered by the Antarctic continent) isn’t
warming as fast as the North Pole (which is surrounded by ocean).

The situation is more complicated, however, as the strongest Arctic
warming takes place in winter during polar nights, when the days are
subject to 24-hr darkness. In other words, there is no albedo effect
that can explain this exceptional warming because of the lack of sunlight.

Yet, sea-ice acts as an insulator between air and sea. When it retreats,
it opens up for more heat and moisture exchange between the ocean and
the atmosphere, and the strongest warming can be found where the sea-ice
has retreated (Isaksen, et al., 2022).

There are also additional mechanisms that can explain the rapid warming
near the poles. One of them is that the already colder conditions are
responsible for lower heat losses, but this is the case for Antarctica
as well.

Changes in cloud cover and air moisture (vapour pressure) also play a
role. If there is a permanent cloud cover, then we expect a reduced
albedo-feedback connected with ice and snow. Clouds also affect the
albedo, and both clouds and air moisture affect the surface heat loss to
space.

Other mechanisms include changes in the lapse rate (Boeke et al., 2020)
and boundary layers (Bintanja et al., 2012), as well as heat transport
from lower latitudes.

Storms may also influence the temperature indirectly through their
effect on sea-ice. A take-home message from a talk by Gabriele Messori,
Ehlke Hepworth, and Marcello Vichi at the European Meteorological
Society’s 2023 annual meeting in Bratislava was that high-latitude
cyclones in the Southern Ocean can reach and shape the Antarctic sea-ice.

Storms also play a role in the Arctic, and Aue and Rinke (2023) reported
that seasonal variations in storms leave an imprint on the sea ice
concentration in the Barents and Kara Seas. They also found that storms
have an impact on the Arctic sea ice and that it has changed during the
last 40 years.

Finally, in the BAMS State of the Climate (2023) the Arctic
amplification was also associated with various localised
land–ocean–sea-ice interactions as well as large-scale atmospheric and
oceanic energy transport processes.

*Extreme rainfall*
Another common topic is extreme rainfall, and the link to global warming
is often explained in terms of increased evaporation with higher
temperatures. This is not wrong, but also not the whole story.

We can call it the thermodynamical explanation, and we indeed expect
more extreme rainfall with higher temperatures which enhance the air’s
moisture holding capacity and increase the rate of evaporation.

There are also dynamical aspects, which involve changes in winds and
cloud structure, but they are rarely mentioned in news reports.

The water that evaporates comes down again, but in patches. It doesn’t
rain all the time nor everywhere. Over time, the daily rain has fallen
over a shrinking fraction of Earth’s surface (Benestad et al., 2022),
thus becoming more concentrated into smaller and more intense wet patches.

A recent and tentative (not yet peer-reviewed) analysis suggests that
about half of the increased extreme precipitation may be due to
thermodynamics and about half may be due to dynamics (Benestad et al., 2023)

The dynamical nature of this trend may involve more convective clouds,
higher cloud tops or an expansion of the sub-tropics connected to a
widening of the Hadley cell. Another factor may be a slowdown of moving
rain-generating systems (Kahraman et al, 2023).

There are reports of increased rainfall amounts connected with tropical
cyclones, which combines both thermodynamics (evaporation) and dynamics
(wind and cloud structures). Recently storm Daniel brought extreme
rainfall amounts that caused devastating calamities both in
Greece/Bulgaria/Turkey as well as Libya. The extreme rainfall was a
result of both excessive evaporation (the Mediterranean Sea has been
unusually warm) and circulation.

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2023/09/old-habits/

/[  Butterflies declining 2% per year.   All insects 2% annual decline.
Decline 75% by biomass "People should not be the source"  Birds
delinging 2% per year.  Humans are running a giant experiment ]/
*Nick Haddad: "Insects - A Silent Extinction" | The Great Simplification
#90*
Nate Hagens
Sep 27, 2023  The Great Simplification - with Nate Hagens
On this episode, Nate is joined by Professor Nick Haddad, a conservation
scientist with a focus on butterflies and other insects. Nick unpacks
what decades of research have indicated about the declining state of
insect populations, which act as the foundation of critical ecosystem
functions. The overlooked degradation of butterflies, beetles, bees,
ants, ladybugs, and countless other species have huge ripple effects
across our local and global ecological functions - from a loss of bird
populations to a reduced ability to grow food. Why are we not more
concerned about the health and vitality of these critical organisms? Can
humans - or life as we know it - survive without these little creatures?
What can we do as individuals, businesses, and governments to help
insects rebound as quickly as possible, and in turn strengthen the
health of everything else.

About Nick Haddad
Professor Nick Haddad is co-lead of the Long Term Ecological Research
site at Kellogg Biological Station at Michigan State University. He
leads decades-long, landscape-scale experiments that bring scientific
principles to conservation actions. He studies how landscape diversity,
including prairie strips through croplands, affect biodiversity,
especially of plants and insects, and of ecosystem services including
pollination, biocontrol, and decomposition. For three decades he has led
the world’s largest experiment testing the role of landscape corridors
in increasing dispersal of most plant and animal species, and increasing
plant diversity. He has conducted long-term restoration experiments to
guide conservation of rare butterflies in the face of climate and land
use change. Nick brings together ideas in science and management through
ConservationCorridor.org.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qzS5Nig4_w

/[ The news archive - looking back at how Luntz and GWBush harms ]/
/*September 28, 2007*/
September 28, 2007: President George W. Bush speaks at a "conference" on
climate change in Washington. The speech and the "conference" are widely
viewed as political efforts to obscure the Bush administration's overall
lack of interest in taking serious steps to reduce carbon pollution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/28/world/americas/28iht-28climatesub.7674315.html

- -

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2007/09/28/201917/bush-climate-speech-follows-luntz-playbook-technology-technology-technology-blah-blah-blah/

    *Bush climate speech follows Luntz playbook: “Technology,
    technology, blah, blah, blah.”*
    JOE ROMM
    SEP 28, 2007, 5:49 PM

    Bush has given us a new drinking game: Down a shot whenever the
    President uses the word “technology” in a climate speech. You’d get
    19 shots for today’s 21 minute speech!

    As predicted Bush closely follows the Frank Luntz playbook on how to
    seem like you care about the climate when you don’t. Bush stated the
    basic do-nothing message well:

    Our investments in research and technology are bringing the world
    closer to a remarkable breakthrough — an age of clean energy where
    we can power our growing economies and improve the lives of our
    people and be responsible stewards of the earth the Almighty trusted
    to our care.

    Translation: “If we had those technologies today, then maybe we
    could take genuine action now. But, darn it, people, we don’t. We
    can’t grow the economy and be responsible stewards of the earth
    quite yet. We are close, though, so be patient already and stop with
    all those calls for mandatory regulation. Sheesh!”

    Since this is the main message of the shrewd Luntz-led delayers, who
    realized years ago it could be politically dangerous to be seen as
    opposing all action on global warming, let me repeat Luntz’s advice
    from his 2002 and 2005 memos to conservatives [both must-reads for
    progressives]. In his 2002 “Straight Talk” memo on climate change