[✔️] April 6, 2024 Global Warming News | Venus our twin, Speeding heating, Collapse coming?, Oreskes, 2000 Bush's role

Sat Apr 6 11:26:04 EDT 2024

/*April *//*6, 2024*/                            " Later is too late "

/[ Examine Venus]/
*Earth may seem like a one-of-a-kind planet, but it actually has a twin*
APRIL 5, 2024
HEARD ON MORNING EDITION
Regina G. Barber
- -
The twin is Venus — the hottest planet in our solar system. Our series
on The Science of Siblings, examines how these two planets started out
so similar but end up so different.

GILMORE: If you were an alien visiting our solar system 4 billion years
ago, you would see three rocky planets, each of which have oceans.

BARBER: Their locations and sizes affected all three planets. Let's talk
about size first. Size determines if that planet stays hot from its
initial creation. When Gilmore is talking to her class, this is how she
puts it.

GILMORE: It's like Thanksgiving. You have a hot potato, you know, a
baked potato, and you've got peas. And you want to eat that potato, but
it's too hot. But the peas - they're ready to go, because they have
radiated out their heat because they're small.

BARBER: Mars isn't exactly a pea, but it is smaller than Earth and
Venus. It cooled off pretty fast, but...

GILMORE: Venus and Earth are the same size potatoes.

BARBER: They both were about the same temperature to start. They both
were made of pretty much the same stuff. They both had active volcanoes,
and these were releasing greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide to create
an atmosphere. And they both had oceans that could store any excess
carbon dioxide.

GILMORE: By all of our understanding, Venus and Earth should have been
the same.
BARBER: ...But they're not. And that's because of one big difference.
Venus is a bit closer to the sun. Think of twins separated at birth,
growing up in very different environments. Venus got too hot being too
close to the sun. Its oceans dried up.

GILMORE: And once you get rid of an ocean, you turn off the major
mechanism to store carbon dioxide in rock. And therefore, it just stays
in the atmosphere, and the greenhouse effect takes over.

BARBER: You may have heard of the greenhouse effect. Scientists think
about it a lot because of its role in global warming on Earth. So
studying Venus can show us what happens when this effect gets out of
control. Gilmore has so many other questions when it comes to Venus. Can
Venus show us how our planet operated billions of years ago, before
plate tectonics altered volcanoes, mountains, seas and climate? Can it
tell us what to look for as we search for habitable planets across the
galaxy? She likens Venus to dozens of exoplanets like Earth that
scientists have found outside of our solar system.

GILMORE: I mean, those are, like, our long-lost cousins that you find
when you go on, like, AncestryDNA or whatever, you know, 23andMe. And
you're like, what? Who's that? (Laughter) That's those exoplanets.

BARBER: We won't be able to visit those distant planets in the near
future, but we can actually visit Venus. With three upcoming missions to
Venus from NASA and the European Space Agency, we might soon be able to
answer these questions.

Regina Barber, NPR News.
https://www.npr.org/2024/04/05/1242977763/earth-may-seem-like-a-one-of-a-kind-planet-but-it-actually-has-a-twin

/[ The speeding-up of the heating-up - Acceleration  ]/
*Is Global Warming Speeding Up?*
ClimateAdam
Apr 5, 2024  #ClimateChange #climatecrisis
Thanks to climate change, 2023 has shattered heat records, and 2024 is
continuing where last year left off. With this devastating heat driving
extreme weather - from heatwaves to downpours to wildfires - across the
globe, scientists are increasingly asking if global warming could be
accelerating. So what does the evidence show? Is the heating up of our
planet speeding up? If so, what does this climate change mean for our
future? And can we still hit the brakes and halt global warming?
Huge thanks to scientist Andrew Dessler for his feedback! Follow him here:
https://twitter.com/AndrewDessler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p0HdzZsdII

/[ Dr James Hansen ]/
*Global Warming Acceleration: Hope vs Hopium*
James Hansen, Makiko Sato, Pushker Kharecha
Accumulating evidence supports the interpretation in our Pipeline paper:
decreasing human-made aerosols increased Earth’s energy imbalance and
accelerated global warming in the past decade.
Climate sensitivity and aerosol forcing, physically independent
quantities, were tied together by United Nations IPCC climate
assessments that rely excessively on global climate models (GCMs)and
fail to measure climate forcing by aerosols. IPCC’s best estimates for
climate sensitivity and aerosol forcing both understate reality.
Preservation of global shorelines and global climate patterns – the
world humanity is adapted to – likely will require at least partly
reversing global warming. Required actions and time scale are undefined.
A bright future for today’s young people is still possible, but its
attainment is hampered by precatory (wishful thinking) policies that do
not realistically account for global energy needs and aspirations of
nations with emerging economies.
An alternative is needed to the GCM-dominated perspective on climate
science. We will bear a
heavy burden if we stand silent or meek as the world continues on its
present course.
Our paper, Global Warming in the Pipeline, was greeted by a few
scientists, among the most active in communication with the public, with
denial. Our friend Michael Mann, e.g., with a large public following,
refused to concede that global warming is accelerating. We mention Mike
because we know that he won’t take this notation personally.
Accelerated global warming is the first significant change of global
warming rate since 1970.
It is important because it confirms the futility of “net zero” hopium
that serves as present
energy policy and because we are running short of time to avoid passing
the point of no
return. We will focus on advancing our research now and completing
Sophie’s Planet in 2024, so we must limit our interactions this year. We
will send out updates every other month for the remainder of this year,
as described in a recent note.
  This is the March update.
https://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2024/Hopium.MarchEmail.2024.03.29.pdf

/[  A one-person video production - underestimating stupidity and
cupidity ]/
*Is Collapse Coming for Us?
*Our Changing Climate/
/Apr 5, 2024  #collapse #anticapitalism #climatechange
In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I dive into the
worst-case climate change scenarios that could possibly lead to societal
collapse. Specifically, I understand what the literature says will
happen above four degrees of global warming in turns of natural
disasters, as well as how that will unfold across our economic and
social webs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4N1wjoKAI

/[ A classic- Dr Oreskes teaches at Harvard ]/
*Naomi Oreskes: Why we should trust scientists*
TED
Jun 25, 2014
Many of the world's biggest problems require asking questions of
scientists — but why should we believe what they say? Historian of
science Naomi Oreskes thinks deeply about our relationship to belief and
draws out three problems with common attitudes toward scientific inquiry
— and gives her own reasoning for why we ought to trust science.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances
from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers
give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on
Technology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business, global
issues, the arts and much more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxyQNEVOElU

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*April 6, 2000 */
April 6, 2000: Predicting the controversies that would define the George
W. Bush administration, New York Times columnist Bob Herbert observes,
"Mr. Bush's relationship to the environment is roughly that of a doctor
to a patient -- when the doctor's name is Kevorkian."

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/06/opinion/in-america-bush-goes-green.html?pagewanted=print

Privacy and Security: *This mailing is text-only -- and carries no
images or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli

===