[✔️] Feb 6 2024 Global Warming News | LA is "Deluged", Bank of America causes drowning, Poem of deluge 4 months ago, Battery revolution, COP-Copout, Steffi Bednarek climate crisis discussion, 2005 Mooney reads Crichton[]

Tue Feb 6 08:08:58 EST 2024

/*February*//*6, 2024*/

[ "Deluged" LA - NYT data display ]
*See Where Heavy Rainfall Deluged California*
By Leanne Abraham, Zach Levitt and Elena Shao
Feb. 5, 2024
Source: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National
Centers for Environmental Prediction Notes: Data reflects near-real-time
analysis of liquid precipitation amounts. Values are in inches of water
or the equivalent amount of melted snow and ice. Times are Pacific.
A powerful atmospheric river inundated California late Sunday evening
and Monday morning, bringing howling gusts and torrential rain that
flooded roads, felled trees and snapped power lines. The storm lingered
over Southern California on Monday, with some areas receiving
record-breaking rainfall.
- -
The latest storm is the second atmospheric river to drench California in
a few days. Intense rain and strong winds also hit the Bay Area and
Central Coast beginning late last week, prompting road closures from
flooding and debris flow and leaving hundreds of thousands of people
without power.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/02/05/us/california-rainfall-map.html?unlocked_article_code=1.TU0.k3Fl.weHEup9Psryo&bgrp=g&smid=url-share
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/02/05/us/california-rainfall-map.html

/[ lunacy is self-delusionary - and cash makes it worse - McKibben clips ]/
*Bank of America to World: Just Drown Already*
Finance capitalism as a suicide machine
Bill McKibben
Feb 5, 2024
Bank of America has its roots in California. Founded in Los Angeles in
1923, it was acquired by a San Francisco bank, which took the name in
1930—and over time it has grown to become the world’s second-largest
bank by deposits, second only to New York-based Chase.

I tell you this for two reasons. One, California is, as of this writing,
being absolutely battered by an “atmospheric river” that has knocked out
power to hundreds of thousands, and caused mudslides on high ground
along the Pacific Coast. As Andrew Dessler pointed out yesterday, the
physics are pretty simple: “A warmer planet has more water vapor in the
atmosphere. And, everything else being the same, an atmospheric river
carrying more water vapor will cause more rainfall when it hits land and
starts rising.”

And second, Bank of America is a proximate cause of this kind of chaos,
because it refuses to stop lending for fossil fuel expansion. Indeed,
last week it engaged in perhaps the single most irresponsible about-face
of the climate era.
Three years ago—in the wake of the Greta-inspired mass uprising of young
people around the world—Bank of America apparently felt it had to make
some gesture, so it chose a pretty easy route to demonstrate its
newfound greenness. It said it would no longer lend for new coal mining
or coal-fired power plants or for new oil exploration in the Arctic.
These were seen to be beyond the pale because…well, they are. They
represent some of the most egregious possible insults to this planet.

But last week they said, never mind. If you want some money for a new
coal mine, our window is open again. If you’re an oil company that feels
like searching for oil in the Arctic now that you’ve melted it, we can
make a deal. As the Times reported last week

    Bank of America’s change follows intensifying backlash from
    Republican lawmakers against corporations that consider
    environmental and social factors in their operations. Wall Street in
    particular has come under fire for what some Republicans have called
    “woke capitalism,” a campaign that has pulled banks into the wider
    culture wars.

That is to say, they’re far more afraid of some oil-soaked GOP state
treasurer than they are of an atmospheric river bearing down on the
world’s fifth largest economy. It’s proof, of course, that their words
about climate change were just pious nonsense. They’d insisted that they
understood how crucial it was to change: “Climate change is no longer a
far off risk but rather a global concern with impacts that are already
beginning to unfold, including increased frequency and severity of
extreme weather conditions, melting glaciers, loss of sea ice,
accelerated sea level rise and longer, more intense heat waves and
droughts.”  ...

    Reporting transparently on their ratios of clean energy to fossil
    fuel finance is key to seeing whether or not they are living up to
    their net-zero commitments. Right now, they aren’t – and that must
    change. Our planet, our economy, and our investment portfolios are
    all at stake.”...

As you can tell, this about face by BofA stings. It takes so much work
to move these guys an inch, and then given half a chance they slide
right back to where they were before.

Small banks seem able to make money doing decent things—here’s a nice
story about a merger of local California banks where they pledged, among
other things, to "refrain from any new financing of fossil fuel
extraction activities, especially expansion projects that would develop
and lock in dependence on new fossil fuel infrastructure, either through
corporate or project-based finance, subject to compliance with banking
rules and regulations."

But the big boys? Damn them to hell, which is clearly where they’re
content to send all of us.
https://billmckibben.substack.com/p/bank-of-america-to-world-just-drown
https://open.substack.com/pub/billmckibben/p/bank-of-america-to-world-just-drown?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

/[ //4 months ago, //the poem and a deluge - thanks Sara C) ]/
*‘An alarm bell’: Libyan poet warned of flood risk in Derna before dying
in storms*
                        This article is more than 4 months old
Mustafa al-Trabelsi attended a meeting about state of the dams days
before Storm Daniel hit city
Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor
Thu 14 Sep 2023

On the night of the storm, at 7.44pm, Mustafa wrote on his Facebook
page: “The scenes are scary, and things may escalate to a disaster, and
we are under the rule of a corrupt tyrant who has nothing but data,
claiming to be prepared and, in fact, does not have any equipment, and
rescue teams are only few.

“May God protect the Scouts, the Red Crescent and volunteers who prove
that in every crisis our country goes through, they are true voluntary
organisations, and the absence of a failed state. May God help the
families all over our beloved country.”

     The rain
     Exposes the drenched streets,
     the cheating contractor,
     and the failed state.
     It washes everything,
     bird wings
     and cats’ fur.
     Reminds the poor
     of their fragile roofs
     and ragged clothes.
     It awakens the valleys,
     shakes off their yawning dust
     and dry crusts.
     The rain
     a sign of goodness,
     a promise of help,
     an alarm bell.

At 9.37pm, he wrote: “We have only one [an]other in this difficult
situation. Let’s stand together until we drown.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/14/libyan-poet-the-rain-floods-mustafa-al-trabelsi

/[  some complexity of batteries ]/
*Battery Energy Revolution. What now?
*Just Have a Think
Feb 4, 2024
Battery energy storage is already shaking up the automotive industry.
But developers are constantly looking for ways to increase energy
density, decrease battery pack weight, and add range to their vehicles.
It's not just car makers though. The aviation industry is watching
progress on battery technology very closely indeed. Now sulphur (or
sulfur in the US) has entered the fray to add a new dimension to that
progress.
- -
Video Transcripts available at our website
http://www.justhaveathink.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myZvKcyhV64

/[ Nick Breeze book discussion  ]/
*COPOUT*
Climate Emergency Forum

Feb 4, 2024
Climate Emergency Forum welcomes Nick Breeze, author, climate and wine
journalist, to discuss his forthcoming book, "COPOUT," where concerns
are expressed about the ineffectiveness of the UNFCCC COPs in achieving
their intended goals.

This video was recorded on January 18th, 2024, and published on February
4th, 2024.

In this dialogue, participants engage in a comprehensive discussion
about the critical issues surrounding climate change and the
inadequacies of international efforts, particularly through United
Nations climate change conferences (COPs). The threat of climate change
to industries like coffee and wine is highlighted, underscoring the
urgency of addressing environmental issues.

The conversation also centers around Nick Breeze's forthcoming book,
"COPOUT," that will provide the author’s perspective on the COPs
spanning from COP21 through to COP28. The importance of narratives and
communication in conveying the truth about climate change, even in its
dire nature, is emphasized, with a distinction made between hope and
courage as driving forces for change.

The dialogue touches upon the role of youth in climate activism,
acknowledging figures like Greta Thunberg and highlighting the need to
involve and educate the younger generation. The participants discuss the
tradition of alternative people's conferences and express concerns that
the corporate-style management of COPs may be overshadowing the voices
of grassroots movements.

The conversation concludes on a positive note with a reminiscence of the
success of the Cochabamba conference, presenting a hopeful example of
effective, democratic collaboration that addressed climate issues.
Overall, the dialogue provides a nuanced exploration of climate
challenges, solutions, and the importance of global cooperation.

Links:
- COPOUT: How governments have failed the people on climate
https://genn.cc/copout-nick-breeze/

- Greta Thunberg and Svante Thunberg - Straight Talk (YouTube Video)
https://youtu.be/GiD04TRwebQ

- Earth Song: What COP 28 taught us about winemaking in a warming climate
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/202...

- Gonzo Journalism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzo_j...

- Reaching Youth Through Climate Fiction (CEF Video)
https://youtu.be/SN6wmUmX8ms

- World People's Conference on Climate Change (wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_P...

- People's Agreement of Cochabamba
https://links.org.au/bolivia-full-tex...

Special Guest:
Nick Breeze - is recognized as an influential figure in the field of
climate change communication. As an accomplished journalist and climate
ambassador, he is known for his effective interview style and personable
approach, making complex environmental issues accessible to diverse
audiences. Breeze has played a significant role in raising awareness
about climate change through his interviews, writings, and upcoming book
titled "COPOUT." His work emphasizes the urgency of addressing climate
issues, critiques the shortcomings of international climate conferences,
and advocates for a more empathetic and courageous approach to tackling
environmental challenges.

Regular Panelists:
Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the
Climate Emergency Institute

Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the University
of Ottawa's Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as at Carleton University
- -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKkeN8lwr0

/[ Steffi Bednarek video interview ]/
Resonant World #65
*What can usefully be said about the climate crisis, at this point?*
It’s everywhere and nowhere. In me and around me. Some days I see the
graphs and the maps and the projections and I feel a jolt of primal
fear. Mostly I’m numb.

And yet, when I consider the inner dimensions of the crisis — how
climate change may reflect the condition of our collective psyche — a
deep curiosity stirs.

I feel an aliveness around this inquiry that’s missing when I focus
purely on what’s “out there” — the disasters; the creeping loss of so
much I love; the unfolding drama of the battles over giant,
abstract-sounding systems, from energy to food, politics and water.

Horrifying and captivating as these processes are, so much of the
discussion around them feels somehow partial. The dark hinterland of our
shared unconscious — which lies behind, and shapes, all the events
playing out in the external world — feels at once more fertile, and more
forbidding, to explore. There are no maps to this invisible landscape;
no annual reports. But the truths hidden in these territories may prove
more consequential to Earth’s future than anything we can depict on a graph.

That’s maybe why I loved my conversation with Steffi Bednarek so much. A
psychologist who grew up in what was then East Germany, and who’s lived
for years in the UK, Steffi began to transition from trauma therapy to
climate psychology a decade ago, when motherhood crystalised her fears
over the climate and extinction crises. Deploying a combination of
therapeutic skill and systems thinking, Steffi now works with
multi-national companies, global financial institutions and governments
to facilitate the kind of internal reflection that just might dissolve
some of the seemingly insurmountable inertia holding back meaningful change.

- -

*Inevitable Tensions*

Steffi and I had been in sporadic contact since being introduced in
January last year, by a friend I met while studying individual,
inter-generational and collective trauma in Thomas Hübl’s two-year
Timeless Wisdom Training. But our conversation really began to develop
after I published “Should I Stay or Should I Go?” in July (Resonant
World #35), a video exploring the dilemmas posed by working for large
corporations complicit in the climate crisis. Recording the video was
part of my process of integrating my experiences as a climate
correspondent at Reuters, a news organisation which sees no conflict
between its professed commitment to impartiality, and hosting industry
events in Houston aimed at removing the “pain points” holding back
faster production of oil and gas. (Resonant World#58).

The conflict I described in the video aligned closely with Steffi’s work
with teams and individuals she supports to explore the inevitable
tensions that arise from participating in an economic system that is
driving the accelerating breakdown of Earth’s life support systems.

Steffi Bednarek presents at the Co-evolution Lab on November 9, 2023 in
Munich, Germany, which was organised by the consultancy OSB-I. The event
convened industry leaders to explore what it means for profit-making
organisations to assume responsibility for collective social and
ecological well-being. Credit: OSB-I.

- -*/
/*

*Internal Family Systems*

We recorded the above conversation on November 24, a few days before the
start of the COP28 UN climate talks in Dubai. Every part of our exchange
felt vibrant and emergent to me, but if I was to highlight a particular
segment it would be Steffi’s explanation of how she applies the Internal
Family Systems (IFS) model of therapy, developed by Richard Schwartz, to
better understand our collective failure to confront the climate crisis,
and chart new paths forward.

In brief, IFS is based on the recognition that each of us is comprised
of a kind of committee of sub-personalities — or “parts” — that function
in many respects like an unruly family that resides within us (hence the
name Internal Family Systems). These “parts” may have very different
ideas about what’s good for us, and we experience their conflicts as
recurrent tensions and dilemmas.

At the risk of gross oversimplification, Our “Manager” parts are focused
on keeping us safe and functioning in day-to-day life. Our “Exiles” are
the parts of ourselves that may carry grief, fear, anger or shame that
we do our best to suppress. And our “Firefighters” intervene when
internal conflicts become too painful — to numb us with addictions, or
temporarily relieve the tension via emotional outbursts.

Steffi argues that many of us hold back from speaking up at work about
climate change because our Manager parts are intent on keeping us safe
by conforming. That means we push our strong emotions about the climate
away as Exiles. And when the conflict between our Manager and Exile
parts gets too much to contain, the Firefighters rush to the scene.

IFS offers an alternative course.

All of us can start to lead from a part known as the “Self” — the
pristine level of awareness that stands outside the realm of trauma or
cultural conditioning. This is the part that can listen to the competing
perspectives of the Managers, Exiles and Firefighters and develop a more
mature, integrated response.

Steffi asks what would happen if we started to apply this model of “Self
Leadership” at a societal level — to gain deeper insights into the
interplay of activists, politicians, fossil fuel executives and the
countless other forces shaping the climate crisis? What would it look
like to channel “Self” energy on a collective scale? (I feel I’ve
learned a bit about that in the collective trauma healing work of the
past three years).

Our conversation felt like we were barely getting started in this
inquiry. But if you’re interested in a new lens for viewing what can
seem like a terminally intractable crisis, then I warmly invite you to
listen to our discussion in the video, above, or read the partial
transcript of our conversation below (after Steffi’s bio), which we
revised and developed in subsequent correspondence for clarity.

    *Steffi Bednarek Bio*
    Working at the intersection between climate, systems theory and the
    psyche, Steffi’s move from trauma therapy into climate psychology
    over the past decade was a deeply personal response to the sense of
    grief she felt as a mother in a time of global danger and
    biodiversity loss.

    She is an Associate of the Climate Psychology Alliance, Firekeeper
    at the World Ethics Forum, and Associate of the American
    Psychological Association’s Climate Change Group. She co-founded the
    journal Explorations into Climate Psychology.

    Steffi’s book Climate, Psychology and Change will be published this
    year, and has been endorsed by Fritjof Capra, Bill McKibben, Satish
    Kumar, Nora Bateson and others.

- -
*Internal Family Systems and the Climate Crisis*

*Matthew Green and Steffi Bednarek*

*Matthew: We’ve obviously known about climate change for decades. We’re
feeling the impacts, we’re seeing the disasters unfolding, and yet we
haven’t prepared ourselves internally for what has already happened. Why
is that?*

Steffi: Psychologically speaking we have a term called “disavowal” —
which describes a mental state where I can be in two places at the same
time. I can know about climate change, and at the same time “not know” —
without these two conflicting states cancelling each other out.

So that means that it’s perfectly possible to be deeply concerned about
climate change, and our children’s future — and then somewhere on the
way from home to work, leave those worries behind.

And I think this fragmentation that we experience as individuals — and
which is also encouraged by society — is starting to break down. So we
have people who feel really troubled by working in certain industries,
because they know that what they’re doing in their day job does not
correspond to their deeply held values.

*Matthew: Not everybody has the option to step off their career track.
How do people cope with the tension of working for a heavily polluting
industry, or its enablers, for example, while also caring about the
climate?*

Steffi: It depends on the industry, but in some sectors it's still
perfectly possible to just park your concerns about climate change
outside the building and say: “There’s nothing our company can do.” Or
there can be an attitude of: “Yes, we’ve made some adjustments.” But the
adjustments are just a box-ticking exercise to enable the system to
continue.

There are sectors that are closely connected to the fossil fuel
industry, where I definitely see that staff are starting to feel
increasingly uncomfortable about their roles, and what they’re
contributing to. And at the same time, there are people who may have
waited their whole life for a career opportunity: Not everybody has the
choice to step off that ladder. So it’s about how we hold this conflict
— and stay with it — wherever that tension will lead.

If we avoid the tension, then we have to become blind to something: the
way in which we are participating in the system. It's not possible to be
part of a dysfunctional system without also in some way adapting to it —
even though that causes us to suffer. So my work is about shining a
light on that tension, and bringing greater awareness to the
incongruence that to a greater or lesser extent we’re all living.

*Matthew: When we know we’re participating in a destructive system, we
have to shut part of ourselves down. But if we want to be healthy, we
have to retrieve that part that we’ve had to let go of. But as you say,
if we feel like the only way we can do that is by leaving — and leaving
is not an option, or we don’t feel like it’s an option — then where do
we go?
*
Steffi: We can go from a huge mess to a lesser mess, but we're all in
quite a messy situation now.

I have worked with individuals who've had enough support to really make
a big change within an organisation — where it had looked like the odds
were against them. This is not the heroic story of the individual
saviour. But we can sometimes see certain cracks and openings where
change is possible. And sometimes it’s quite surprising what happens
when we put our foot in one of those cracks and stay with it.

And of course, we can’t do this on our own, we need the right kind of
support in order to bear the awkwardness — and at times downright
hostility — that people face, when they call something out that doesn't
make sense.

I think we need to start having these kinds of conversations, and think
about what it means to be human at this time, and not just what it means
to serve in a corporate role.

*Matthew: I’m thinking now about a conversation I had a few months ago
with Sophie Cowen, who was one of the Extinction Rebellion activists who
broke the windows at Barclays Bank. For most people in companies that
I’ve worked for, contemplating something like that would make them feel
extremely uncomfortable. Is there a middle way?*

Steffi: For me it’s not an “either-or”. There’s a diversity of
approaches: The whole ecology needs to change. Every day we participate
in a death-bringing ecology. We each have a lot of choices about our
level of daily participation in this. That doesn’t mean that we all have
to smash the windows of a bank, but we all have choices in every little
situation that we’re in.

I’m thinking about sitting in meetings at work: What’s our comfort zone
in stepping into an awkward conversation? Or speaking up when decisions
are taken where everybody knows the impact on communities, on people, or
other-than-human beings, or on the climate? It takes enormous courage to
raise one’s voice and to say: “Hang on a moment, what are the
consequences of this decision?” Or to say “no” to something, not because
it’s not economically profitable, but because it feels morally wrong.
This really scares a lot of people, and we each have to find the
boundary of our comfort zone.

And some people actually really need to find a way out, when the moral
injury caused by staying within the system, and not speaking up, feels
so unbearable that they actually need to put themselves — you could
maybe argue — on the right side of history. Because we all have to
justify what we did in this decade to the next generation, the decade
when we can actually still change something.
Steffi Bednarek. Credit: OSB-I.
*
Matthew: And when it comes to challenging authority at work, and risking
isolation or rejection by colleagues, we may be touching into layers of
inter-generational trauma. We may have inherited trauma from ancestors
who were forced into exile — which could be reactivated by feelings of
being forced to leave our job. And our cells may still hold memories of
a time when being accepted by our tribe was a matter of life and death.*

Steffi: Our nervous system is completely wired for community, and
there’s this natural sense of shame that comes up when we betray the
rules of the community. We’re wired with a deep urge to belong.

But what happens if we belong to a system that’s become dysfunctional —
not due to any one particular person’s or group's doing — but because
the whole system has acquired a self-replicating quality that has become
toxic?

The part that knows that something is wrong gets split off and pushed
down into the unconscious. But really that part that we send into exile
in this way is the healthy part. The same process has happened on a
collective scale — millions of people suppressing their fear, anger and
confusion over the climate crisis because society demands it. So we need
to turn our attention to the parts of ourselves that we've had to send
into exile to belong to this toxic normality. Until we do this, we will
continue to live in a state of disavowal or denial.
*
Matthew: We’ve moved into the language of the Internal Family Systems
(IFS) approach to psychotherapy [developed by American therapist Richard
Schwartz]. Maybe you could explain why you think IFS can help us respond
to the climate crisis?*

Steffi: Internal Family Systems is based on the fact that we don’t have
a uniform, single perspective on anything. What we think of as “me” is
in fact comprised of many parts. For example, if I have a craving for
chocolate, there’s the part of me that really wants to eat the
chocolate. And there’s another part of me that says: “Hang on a moment,
what are the consequences of doing that? Should you be eating chocolate
now?”

And there may be other parts that have more opinions, and so there’s a
whole series of dialogues going on inside. And depending on the
situation, one part will win — and then maybe the other parts will start
to complain.It’s like there’s a whole family of parts struggling for
control inside each one of us — which is why the model is called
Internal Family Systems.

*Matthew: Having this model is a relief: If I have all these warring
parts, no wonder I’m so dysfunctional a lot of the time!*

Steffi: Within this system, IFS has identified that there’s some core
parts that we all share.

There are the Protective parts, often called “Managers” — their priority
is to make sure we keep functioning securely in our day-to-day lives.
These are the parts that adapt to the family system we grow up in, and
the wider cultural context. Manager parts often sound like the voice of
authority. They say things like: “What do you mean, leave your job?! How
could you even contemplate doing that?!”

Manager parts know how to read the room and play it safe.

In IFS, we call the parts of ourselves that we’ve had to suppress to fit
in “Exiles.” We have literally sent these parts of ourselves into exile.

In what we call modern society, this process has happened on a
collective scale: We’ve had to suppress many of the natural impulses
that are essential for maintaining a healthy nervous system — such as
connecting with each other deeply; speaking authentically; and getting
enough rest and downtime. We’ve had to turn these healthy parts of
ourselves into Exiles, in order to fit into society’s norms.

But these Exiles don’t just disappear: You can’t get rid of them;
they’ve just been pushed to the margins. We experience this when
somebody says something that triggers us: The anger, or fear or sadness
that we’ve sent into exile comes flooding back, and we may feel
completely overwhelmed. And then the Manager parts come in and say:
“You’re not supposed to get upset in a team meeting! These feeling have
no place here!”

People experiencing this conflict often come to therapy and say: “I get
too emotional.” What they are really saying is that they want the
therapist to help them get rid of the Exiles, to push them back to the
margin. But maybe at this time that we’re in, those Exiled parts are the
last frayed lifeline we’ve got to a healthy nervous system.

And then “Firefighters” say things like: “This conflict is making me
feel uncomfortable — let’s have a drink instead.” They can use all kinds
of addictions — including things like TV, overwork, shopping or other
forms of avoidance — to provide temporary relief. But that comes at a
cost, because it just keeps the whole conflict going for longer.

And so when it comes to climate change, the Managers ask us to play it
safe, to just wait a little, to keep quiet and not make things awkward,
just keep it nice and safe.

Internally, our Exiles may be screaming out in fear or anger over some
incongruence, but our Firefighters come in and say: “Just go to the
kitchen and have another glass of wine.” That happens at the individual
level, in organisations, and at the national level. Big pockets of
society act this process out.

*Matthew: So what can we do to resolve these conflicts?*

Steffi: The important thing to remember is that we also all have a more
fundamental part, which in Internal Family Systems we call the “Self”.
This is the part that can stand back and observe our thoughts and
feelings — and which is recognised as a core part of our being in every
major religion and wisdom tradition. The Self is able to listen to all
the other parts and take their views into account, a bit like the chair
of a board meeting canvassing opinion to find the best solution.

We all have access to the Self — it’s universally human. Even people who
have experienced extreme trauma still have this part, it doesn’t go away
for as long as we live. It’s a bit like a cloudy day: We know the sun is
still there, even though we sometimes wonder where it’s gone.

The beauty of IFS is that it reminds us how to act from a position of
Self leadership, which can bring awareness to the inner conflict between
our Managers, Exiles and Firefighters. So instead of acting these
conflicts out, we can use the Self to bring our parts into harmony.

The Self can support us to respond to the climate crisis in healthier
ways. It can help us to find the courage to challenge situations that
are not aligned with our values. And it can guide us to communities that
can support us to consciously step out of toxic environments.

*Matthew: How do we help more people to overcome these inner conflicts?
Do we need new institutions? Or perhaps new practices within
organisations? What does our "psychic sanitation" system look like in
the decades to come?*

Steffi: It’s clear that organisations can no longer be solely focused on
the economic success of their business. However, the imperative to serve
business interests and collective and ecological well-being is not free
of tensions, paradoxes and conflicts of interest. The economic system
makes no provision for future generations, and other-than-human life.

Many problems are still externalised — meaning management thinks
somebody else should take responsibility for impacts their company is
causing. Many challenges are only selectively addressed, or when
solutions are put forward, they can be instrumentalised to serve other
agendas. Often there is no bad intention at work: It’s just that
familiar ways of defining what a problem is shape responses in the old,
fragmented ways.

For me the most important work happens in the spaces where we come
together, broaden our mindsets, and explore new narratives about what's
possible.

When I work with an organisation, I don’t parachute in a solution that
isn’t already there. I pay attention to what people may already be doing
on the margins. I create a container that makes it safe for people to
say: “I’m also a musician, and in music we riff in a very different way
to how we hold our team meetings here, can I tell you about that?” We
just need life to come back into the imaginative places that we
habitually deaden.

We really need to create spaces where there is no right and wrong, where
we relate and listen with much greater depth and awareness. And when we
do that, something shifts. And we can’t predict what it is, but
something shifts and Life comes through. As far as I am concerned, that
is the level of depth we need to go to in order to shift to a healthier
ecosystem.
https://matthewgreenglobal.substack.com/p/a-new-lens-on-the-climate-crisis

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*February 6, 2005 */
February 6, 2005: Chris Mooney points out the numerous falsehoods in the
recently released Michael Crichton novel "State of Fear."
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/02/06/checking_crichtons_footnotes

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli