[✔️] Feb 11 2024 Global Warming News | RealClimate AMOC Tipping Point, Fox denialism, 2013 not prepared

R.Pauli Richard at CredoandScreed.com
Sun Feb 11 03:05:37 EST 2024

/*February*//*11, 2024*//
/
/[ RealClimate.org is the renowned, long-lasting climate science site -
this entry is more straight-talking than usual ]/
*New study suggests the Atlantic overturning circulation AMOC “is on
tipping course”*
9 FEB 2024 BY STEFAN
A new paper was published in Science Advances today. Its title says what
it is about: “Physics-based early warning signal shows that AMOC is on
tipping course.” The study follows one by Danish colleagues which made
headlines last July, likewise looking for early warning signals for
approaching an AMOC tipping point (we discussed it here), but using
rather different data and methods.

The new study by van Westen et al. is a major advance in AMOC stability
science, coming from what I consider the world’s leading research hub
for AMOC stability studies, in Utrecht/Holland. (Some of their
contributions spanning the past 20 years are in the paper’s reference
list, with authors Henk Dijkstra, René van Westen, Nanne Weber, Sybren
Drijfhout and more.)

The paper results from a major computational effort, based on running a
state-of-the-art climate model (the CESM model with horizontal
resolution 1° for the ocean/sea ice and 2° for the atmosphere/land
component) for 4,400 model years. This took 6 months to run on 1,024
cores at the Dutch national supercomputing facility, the largest system
in the Netherlands in terms of high-performance computing.

It is the first systematic attempt to find the AMOC tipping point in a
coupled global ocean-atmosphere climate model of good spatial
resolution, using the quasi-equilibrium approach which I pioneered in
1995 with an ocean-only model of relatively low resolution, given the
limited computer power available 30 years ago.

If you’re not familiar with the issues surrounding the risk of abrupt
ocean circulation changes, I briefly summarized ten key facts on this
topic last year in this blog post.
https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2023/07/what-is-happening-in-the-atlantic-ocean-to-the-amoc/
   -- https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0006-5

But now, let’s get straight to the main findings of the new paper:

1. It confirms that the AMOC has a tipping point beyond which it breaks
down if the northern Atlantic Ocean is diluted with freshwater (by
increasing rainfall, river runoff and meltwater), thus reducing its
salinity and density. This has been suggested by simple conceptual
models since Stommel 1961, confirmed for a 3D ocean circulation model in
my 1995 Nature article, and later in a first model intercomparison
project in 2005, among other studies. Now this tipping point has been
demonstrated for the first time in a state-of-the-art global coupled
climate model, crushing the hope that with more model detail and
resolution some feedback might prevent an AMOC collapse. (This hope was
never very convincing, as paleoclimate records clearly show abrupt AMOC
shifts in Earth history, including full AMOC breakdowns triggered by
meltwater input (Heinrich events). The last AMOC breakdown occurred
about 12,000 years ago and triggered the Younger Dryas cold event around
the northern Atlantic.)

2. It confirms by using observational data that the Atlantic is “on
tipping course”, i.e. moving towards this tipping point. The
billion-dollar question is: how far away is this tipping point?

3. Three recent studies (for more on these see this blog post), using
different data and methods, have argued that we are approaching the
tipping point and that it might be too close for comfort, even posing a
risk of crossing it in the next decades. However, the reliability of the
methods used has been questioned (as discussed here at RealClimate).
Based on their epic computer simulation, the Dutch group proposed a new,
physics-based  and observable type of early warning signal. It uses a
diagnostic – the freshwater transport by the AMOC at the entrance of the
South Atlantic, across the latitude of the southern tip of Africa –
which I proposed in a 1996 study. They do not present a particular time
period estimate for reaching the tipping point, as more observations of
the ocean circulation at this latitude will be needed for that, but they
note about last year’s Ditlevsen study that “their estimate of the
tipping point (2025 to 2095, 95% confidence level) could be accurate.”

4. The new study confirms past concerns that climate models
systematically overestimate the stability of the AMOC. About the crucial
AMOC freshwater transport in models, they point out that most models
don’t get it right: “This is not in agreement with observations, which
is a well-known bias in CMIP phase 3 (38), phase 5 (21), and phase 6
(37) models.” Most models even have the wrong sign of this important
diagnostic, which determines whether the feedback on Atlantic salinity
is stabilising or destabilising, and this model bias is a key reason why
in my view the IPCC has so far underestimated the risk of an AMOC
collapse by relying on these biased climate models.

5. The study also provides more detailed and higher resolution
simulations of the impacts of an AMOC collapse on climate, albeit
considered in isolation and not combined with the effects of CO2-induced
global warming (Fig. 2). They show how particularly northern Europe from
Britain to Scandinavia would suffer devastating impacts, such as a
cooling of winter temperatures by between 10 °C and 30 °C occurring
within a century, leading to a completely different climate within a
decade or two, in line with paleoclimatic evidence about abrupt ocean
circulation changes. In addition they show major shifts in tropical
rainfall belts. These (and many more) impacts of an AMOC collapse have
been known for a long time but thus far have not been shown in a climate
model of such high quality.
- - https://www.realclimate.org/images/van-westen-2024-1536x509.png
Given the impacts, the risk of an AMOC collapse is something to be
avoided at all cost. As I’ve said before: the issue is not whether we’re
sure this is going to happen. The issue is that we need to rule this out
at 99.9 % probability. Once we have a definite warning signal it will be
too late to do anything about it, given the inertia in the system.

Overall the new study adds significantly to the rising concern about an
AMOC collapse in the not too distant future. It thus adds even more
weight to recent reports sounding strong warning sirens, such as the
OECD Climate Tipping Points report of December 2022 and the Global
Tipping Points report published December 2023. We will continue to
ignore this risk at our peril.

*Update 10. February:* In the reactions to the paper, I see some
misunderstand this as an unrealistic model scenario for the future. It
is not. This type of experiment is not a future projection at all, but
rather done to trace the equilibrium stability curve (that’s the
quasi-equlibrium approach mentioned above). In order to trace the
equlibrium response, the freshwater input must be ramped up extremely
slowly, which is why this experiment uses so much computer time. After
the model’s tipping point was found in this way, it was used to identify
precursors that could warn us before reaching the tipping point,
so-called “early warning signals”. Then, the scientists turned to
reanalysis data (observations-based products, shown in Fig. 6 of the
paper) to check for an early warning signal. The headline conclusion
that the AMOC is „on tipping course“ is based on these data.

In other words: it’s observational data from the South Atlantic which
suggest the AMOC is on tipping course. Not the model simulation, which
is just there to get a better understanding of which early warning
signals work, and why.

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2024/02/new-study-suggests-the-atlantic-overturning-circulation-amoc-is-on-tipping-course/

/[ (severe denialism) "In November 2023, Fox News was the most watched
cable news network in the United States and continues to do well in
terms of its primetime audience, with 1.72 million primetime viewers in
that period."
https://www.statista.com/statistics/373814/cable-news-network-viewership-usa/
]/
Wide Awake Media @wideawake_media
*Fox News guest PERFECTLY summarises the World Economic Forum's 'Great
Reset' agenda, in just one minute:*

    "The WEF is a fanatical political organisation that uses fear and
    manipulation, like Covid hysteria, like the hoax of global warming,
    to really facilitate people thinking that somehow they're the
    saviours, but really all you're doing is helping them accomplish
    their goal, which really is a global public-private fascist
    movement, and fusion of big government, big tech [and] big money, to
    create a technocratic ruling elite, which conveniently is them."

"They want to create feudalism 2.0, in which we are serfs, and they are
the lords ruling over us… That's what they're aiming for."

https://x.com/wideawake_media/status/1756285711282573723?s=20

https://twitter.com/wideawake_media/status/1756285711282573723

/[The news archive - not prepared ]/
/*February 11, 2013 */
February 11, 2013: UPI reports on a Harvard University study that
indicates "extreme weather and climate change present a potential threat
to U.S. national security for which 'we are not prepared.'"

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2013/02/11/Climate-change-risks-to-US-security-seen/UPI-54781360632325/#ixzz2m3sx4HrC

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli