[✔️] Feb 17 2024 Global Warming News | AMOC, More AMOC, What words for children?. More AMOC, 1993 Clinton

Sat Feb 17 13:57:51 EST 2024

/*February*//*17, 2024*/

/[ Plain talking - simple observations   video ]/
*Which Apocalypse Today? AMOC Collapse VS 2C Now*
American Resiliency
Feb 12, 2024
Some crazy weeks while I've been out for medical.  In this video I
explore the new AMOC paper everyone's wild about, share some signals you
can watch to get a bead on if AMOC is down, and tell you why I think we
need to keep an eye on the 2C projections for the immediate future.

Here's a link to the paper:
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adk1189

Here are two visualization  tools you might want to bookmark:
https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

https://zacklabe.com/arctic-sea-ice-extentconcentration/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYEaXcavhRM

- -

[ AMOC tipping point  ]
*Physics-based early warning signal shows that AMOC is on tipping course*
RENÉ M. VAN WESTEN HTTPS://ORCID.ORG/0000-0002-8807-7269 , MICHAEL
KLIPHUIS, AND HENK A. DIJKSTRA

    Abstract
    One of the most prominent climate tipping elements is the Atlantic
    meridional overturning circulation (AMOC), which can potentially
    collapse because of the input of fresh water in the North Atlantic.
    Although AMOC collapses have been induced in complex global climate
    models by strong freshwater forcing, the processes of an AMOC
    tipping event have so far not been investigated. Here, we show
    results of the first tipping event in the Community Earth System
    Model, including the large climate impacts of the collapse. Using
    these results, we develop a physics-based and observable early
    warning signal of AMOC tipping: the minimum of the AMOC-induced
    freshwater transport at the southern boundary of the Atlantic.
    Reanalysis products indicate that the present-day AMOC is on route
    to tipping. The early warning signal is a useful alternative to
    classical statistical ones, which, when applied to our simulated
    tipping event, turn out to be sensitive to the analyzed time
    interval before tipping.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.adk1189

/[ What do we say to children?   An educated answer - text 9 min ]/
*A Teachers’ Guide for Managing Climate Anxiety in the Classroom*
By Madeline Will — February 15, 2024
Signs of a changing climate, such as record-breaking heat and more
severe weather, have become difficult to ignore—and they’re causing many
students to feel anxious, afraid, and a range of other negative emotions.

Yet teachers get little support on how to help students process these
complicated feelings about climate change. Often, they barely have had
professional development on how to teach about climate change in
general, which research shows can make them reluctant to broach the subject.

Experts say climate change should be taught in an age-appropriate way at
all grade levels and in all subjects, and that teachers must create
space for students’ feelings about the issue, too. To help, a team of
teachers, researchers, and mental health clinicians who are part of the
Climate Psychology Alliance of North America wrote the “Educators’ Guide
to Climate Emotions,” released Thursday.
The guide includes teaching resources and shares tips for how teachers
can recognize and respond to common climate emotions, including anger,
frustration, guilt, and powerlessness. Teachers, the guide says, should
teach how humans are already responding to climate change, and what
students can do themselves, to instill a sense of possibility—and they
should bring in other members of the school community for support during
these tough conversations.

The co-authors of the guide—Carolyn McGrath, a visual arts teacher at
Hopewell Valley Central High School in Pennington, N.J., and Kate
Schapira, a senior lecturer in nonfiction writing at Brown
University—spoke with Education Week about how teachers can tackle
climate emotions in the classroom. The interview has been edited for
length and clarity.

*How are climate emotions dealt with in schools today?*
McGrath: It feels like we’re in the early stages of climate education
rolling out in multiple states nationwide, in a way that’s different
than it’s happened in the past. I think the seriousness of the issue and
the urgency is much more omnipresent.
We all agreed in our group that as climate education was being embraced
more widely, it was really important that the emotional and
psychological components did not get lost. It’s not just teaching, A+B =
C; we’re teaching about existential issues, and you can’t separate that
from the emotional impact.

What climate anxiety or other climate emotions means is going to vary
really widely depending on who it is that’s having them—not just how old
is that person, or how marginalized is that person, but also, what has
happened in that person’s life? This could be a situation where a
science teacher is teaching climate science, and a kid has, for the
first time, a recognition that the world is changing in this very
dramatic and, to some extent, unprecedented way.

It could also be a situation where a classroom holds students who had to
leave their home because of a wildfire or a drought or a flood. One of
the things that we wanted the guide to do was to offer teachers some
tools and some illumination of those conditions.

*The guide talks about how teachers have to walk the line between not
dismissing students’ concerns while also maintaining a sense of
optimism. What does that balance look like?*
*McGrath:* Climate optimism and doom-ism ... are positioned as
dualities, as opposites. Some of what we’re trying to do is encourage a
holding of both—that things are bad, things are getting worse in some
ways, and we have the potential to make difference.

[For] teenagers, it’s all or nothing—either everything’s going to be
fine, or everything is terrible. I think teachers can really model for
students how to hold that duality at the same time. It’s very difficult.
You don’t want to overwhelm students with too much ... because then they
can shut down. And if you’re Pollyannaish, they can call you out and
know that you’re not being truthful because they’re experiencing it, and
they can see it with their own eyes what’s happening. It’s a real
balancing act.
Schapira: One of the people who advised us on the guide, Britt Wray,
wrote a book called Generation Dread. In the chapter on parenting, one
of the things she says is that kids want to hear from the grownups in
their lives that this is going to be hard, and we’ll get through it
together.

And while that’s not the exact message that’s appropriate for a
classroom, ... it is something that I think a teacher can truthfully say
about people, about a community that they’re a part of, about being a
member of various human communities. You don’t want to write checks you
can’t deliver; you don’t want to make promises that you can’t keep. But
there are truthful things that you can say to students about what’s
going on and how they can be part of engaging with [climate action in
ways] that are age-appropriate.
Offer them a reminder of their own agency. Especially as they grow,
small kids don’t have very much agency. But you can build that sense
through things that you do in the classroom. [Remind them]: “You are a
person who can handle things. You are a person who can compromise with
other people. You are a person who can make decisions. And you are a
person who can still find enjoyment and excitement in learning about the
world.”

What is your advice to teachers who want to tackle climate change but
are nervous to dive in?
Schapira: We have so many resources on this guide about exactly that.
[The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration] has amazing
resources. NASA has amazing resources for different aspects of the
topic—very clear, made for educational purposes. Because they’re made
for teachers to use with students, including younger students, they’re
also at a very absorbable and legible level for teachers. You don’t have
to be a climate scientist at all to understand this stuff.

I think exploring those materials, with the intention of using them in
your own classroom will also give you an introduction to those topics,
even if you didn’t feel comfortable with them to begin with.

McGrath: I’m an art teacher. I think the science aspect of climate
change is a hurdle for a lot of non-science teachers, and for some
science teachers, too. It’s like, is that too complicated for me to
teach? Do I need to know a lot before I can work with the students? And
that’s not the case.

We started out the guide saying, every teacher really should have some
very basic understanding of climate science. It doesn’t need to be
intimidating. There are so many endpoints, and there’s so many
resources. SubjectToClimate, [a nonprofit that provides free teaching
materials on climate change], is incredible. They have resources for
different subject areas, different disciplines, different age levels.
It is unfortunate that climate education is ahead of where teachers are.
Teachers have not been given the skills yet. So what I’m seeing on the
ground is a lot of teachers diving in on their own or seeking out
professional development opportunities.

*I imagine that talking about climate emotions with students can stir up
some hard feelings among teachers. How can teachers take care of
themselves?*
*Schapira: *Talk to a [mental health] professional if you are able to,
talk to the people who love you and support you. If you are not able to
talk to a professional or even if you are, be open and real with people
about how this is affecting you. Consider contemplative practices or
creative practices that can help people process emotion. And see if
there’s room in your life for a little advocacy and action.

Many teachers don’t [have the capacity for climate action]—many teachers
are so unbelievably overclocked and overworked that this just doesn’t
feel like a possibility for them. And we do understand that, but there
is a fair amount of research out there that says that if you engage in
positive climate action with other people in your community, you feel
less bad. It feels less heavy, it feels less intolerable. You know that
you’re pushing on it in some direction, so you feel less helpless. And
you’re doing that with other people, so you feel more connected.

McGrath: I think that it is asking a lot of teachers to [be] a wellness
teacher now, to teach your students about how climate change is
impacting human health and mental well-being. Teachers are asked to do
so many different things.

A real concern for us with the guide was that not only is climate change
education a lot for non-science teachers, incorporating these
social-emotional elements is, also. We’re not expecting teachers to be
therapists. It’s not group therapy. It’s an extension of the kind of
social-emotional learning that teachers are already incorporating, and
have for years incorporated into their classes. It’s just a different
way of looking at it.
*
Carolyn, can you share an example of addressing and supporting students’
climate emotions from your own classroom?*
McGrath: [High school] students are not very forthcoming with any type
of emotion. We talked about this in the guide—there are so many reasons
why a student is not going to raise their hand and say, “The sky is
orange,” like it was last June [because of wildfires], “and it’s
freaking me out.”

I think it’s important that we integrate ways that students can express
how they’re feeling without necessarily making them feel more vulnerable
than they’re comfortable with, and ideally, getting to a point of
conversation. Starting steps are always things like, can you put it into
art? Can you write about it? Is it something that you could talk [about]
one on one ... as opposed to broadcasting to the whole class?
When the skies were quite dark and orange, last June, I asked students,
“How do you feel about this?” A few students were able to talk about it,
but then I passed out little slips of paper, and I said, "[Write in]
just a few words what’s going on for you. Outdoor activities were
canceled—I’ve never seen anything like this in my lifetime. I assume
you’ve never experienced this before.”

It wasn’t part of our lesson. We didn’t spend the whole day talking
about it. But I felt that it was important to acknowledge that it was
scary and different and strange. A teacher can model that ... it’s
totally normal that when things are this abnormal to have strong
feelings. I still have [students’ responses] in my desk, and it was a
full range—from “I don’t care” or “I’m angry because I want to be doing
my sport” to “I’m very terrified and don’t know what’s going on.”

Because of the way the climate is changing, teachers are being asked to
expand the way that they care for young people even more. We recognize
that that’s a challenge, and we hope that the guide can act as a bolster
of support to teachers—because whether you actively engage in this work
or whether you don’t, it’s still happening. And it’s still impacting
your students. Whether you want to or not, it’s impacting everybody’s
teaching.

Madeline Will  Senior Staff Writer,  Education Week
Madeline Will is a reporter for Education Week who covers the teaching
profession.
(contact info linked below)
https://www.edweek.org/leadership/a-teachers-guide-for-managing-climate-anxiety-in-the-classroom/2024/02

/[ from Journalist Nick Breeze ]/
*The AMOC Tipping Point (And what we need to know!) with Dr René van Westen*
Nick Breeze ClimateGen
Premiered Feb 16, 2024  ClimateGenn #podcast  produced by Nick Breeze
In this ClimateGenn Episode I speak with Dr René van Westen about the
recent research he published with colleagues looking at what it would
take to cause the Atlantic Meridonial Overturning Circulation (AMOC) to
pass through it’s tipping point.

Interpretations of this research have been published in media around the
world and debated across social media. Here René gets a chance to
clarify the potential for catastrophic impacts that would
indiscriminately devastate Europe as well as many other regions in
proximity to the Atlantic and beyond.

If you want to read about how governments have consistently lied to get
us into this mess then make sure you order my book COPOUT from this
link: https://amzn.to/3uzuH7y

In the next episode will be Dana R Fisher discussing her new book,
Saving Ourselves, and what it will take to create the ‘Antroshift’ or
social tipping point to change course for the better. If the collapsing
AMOC is the answer - I will pass on that!!

Thank you to all subscribers - your support is always welcome. Extra
episodes and episode previews will continue to be forthcoming.

There is a huge influx of requests for interviews and climate/ecological
stories out there to cover and I am totally overwhelmed. Thanks again
for interest, feedback and support.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o348tvoh0k

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*February 17, 1993 */

February 17, 1993: In an address to a joint session of Congress,
President Clinton, noting the "challenges to the health of our global
environment," declares, "Our plan does include a broad-based tax on
energy, and I want to tell you why I selected this and why I think it's
a good idea. I recommend that we adopt a BTU tax on the heat content of
energy as the best way to provide us with revenue to lower the deficit
because it also combats pollution, promotes energy efficiency, promotes
the independence, economically, of this country as well as helping to
reduce the debt, and because it does not discriminate against any area.
Unlike a carbon tax, that's not too hard on the coal States; unlike a
gas tax, that's not too tough on people who drive a long way to work;
unlike an ad valorem tax, it doesn't increase just when the price of an
energy source goes up. And it is environmentally responsible. It will
help us in the future as well as in the present with the deficit."

(The effort to implement the BTU tax would ultimately fail, thanks to
aggressive attacks on the concept by fossil-fuel-industry front groups
such as the Koch Industries-funded Citizens for a Sound Ecnomy, the
forerunner to Americans for Prosperity.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840MahAgJh0

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli