[✔️] Jan 11, 2024 Global Warming News | No Coal in Calif, England beach erosion, Plastics. Economists gets degrowth, Meadway's podcast Macrodose, 2013 Rush brushed extreme cold

Thu Jan 11 09:09:53 EST 2024

/*January*//*11, 2024*/

/[ important progress milestone -]/
*California's Great Battery Revolution Allows Closure of Peaker Gas
Plants and move to 100% Wind, Solar, Water*
Ann Arbor (Informed Comment) - The renewables revolution around the
world has depended primarily on wind, hydro, and solar. A fourth factor
is now swiftly emerging as essential, that is, mega-battery storage.
Batteries store energy when the wind is blowing or the sun is shining,
to release it when those sources decline.
California has so much solar energy that it faces a difficulty in the
late afternoon when commuters get home from work and turn up the air
conditioning and start cooking supper.
- -
California now uses almost no coal. It clearly can cut fossil gas use
substantially in the coming decade. And electric vehicles are cutting
petroleum use. Fossil fuels are on their way out, and California, the
world’s fifth largest economy, is showing the way to 100% renewables.
https://www.juancole.com/2024/01/californias-battery-revolution.html

/[ short video documentary shows coastline washout in England -]/
*Why UK Towns are Being Erased From the Map*
Faultline
Dec 5, 2023  #geography #UK #coastline..
- -
The village of Hemsby on the east coast of England could be the latest
in a line of settlements that have been lost to the sea. Andy and Mack
travelled here to spend time with residents who are literally living on
the edge and believe that they and their homes have been abandoned by
the authorities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPy7JiZC9b0

/[ video interview - "technological lock in" ]/
*Jane Muncke: "Perils of Plastic Packaging” | The Great Simplification #104*
Nate Hagens
Jan 10, 2024  The Great Simplification - with Nate Hagens
On this episode, toxicology scientist Dr. Jane Muncke joins Nate to
discuss the current state of food production and the effects of ultra
processed foods and their packaging on our health. Over the last century
processed food has taken over our supermarkets and our diets, and at the
same time the containers they’re sold in have evolved as well - to be
more eye-catching and keep food ‘good’ for longer. But what have we
sacrificed in exchange for efficiency, ease, and convenience? How do the
chemicals used in packaging and processing transfer into the food we eat
and subsequently end up in our bodies? Will switching away from these
toxic food practices require more local food supply chains - and
correspondingly simpler diets and lifestyles?

About Jane Muncke:
Jane Muncke holds a doctorate degree in environmental toxicology and a
MSc in environmental science from the ETH Zurich. Since 2012 she has
been working as Managing Director and Chief Scientific Officer at the
charitable Food Packaging Forum Foundation (FPF) in Zurich, Switzerland.
FPF is a research and science communication organization focusing on
chemicals in all types of food contact materials. She is a full
scientific member of the Society of Toxicology (SOT), the Society for
Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology (SETAC), the American Chemical
Society (ACS) and the Endocrine Society. Since 2019, she has been an
elected expert member of the Swiss Organic Farming Association Bio
Suisse’s committee on trade and processing where she contributes to
further developing the standards for processing and packaging of organic
food. She is a director of the FAN initiative, a collective of experts
warning about resource overshoot, the polycrisis, and related societal
collapse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2-roqSWjFo

/[/Interview o/ne economist who understands the fundamentals (tnx SC) ]/
*‘We can’t pretend the ecological crisis is separate’: the economist
thinking differently about climate breakdown*
Maya Goodfellow
James Meadway, once a Labour adviser and now a podcast host, says the
separation between climate and economy has to end
--
“We cannot simply pretend that … the entire ecological crisis is a
separate and distinct thing from what’s happening in the economy,” says

Meadway gives numerous examples of the disconnect between economics and
the environment in popular discourse. For example, a large part of the
recent surge in inflation was the Russian invasion of Ukraine, he says,
but it was also “pretty insistently, certainly over the last summer,
things like various major water transport riverways in Europe drying up
because it was so hot”. He points to the Panama Canal, where a drought
means fewer ships can use it, so they either have to wait or go all the
way round South America. This drives up the cost of transporting goods
and this has a knock-on effect on prices in the shops. We can expect
more of this, he warns.
-
Meadway is not just telling listeners that industrial capitalism is
responsible for anthropogenic climate breakdown – he describes this as
accepted by “pretty much everyone” – but on focusing on the feedback
this produces. What happens after we’ve “merrily burned” huge amounts of
coal and oil and polluted every river and sea on the planet, he asks.

This doesn’t just puncture economic orthodoxy – Meadway’s critique is
also aimed at parts of the left that are committed to maintaining
current levels of consumption, just in a supposedly environmentally
sound way.

The idea that we can all have an electric car is, according to him, just
not possible: “There is not enough copper on the planet … We can’t get
the lithium to produce the batteries, these things can’t actually
happen.”...
- -
Radicals as well as the mainstream need to accept “the relationship of
humanity to nature isn’t a simple hierarchy”, he says. What we are
seeing is “the effects of environmental crisis” being “mediated through
the structures of capitalism”.
- -
Does he, then, think degrowth, which argues for reducing and changing
current forms of production and consumption in a way that lessens
environmental destruction and minimises inequality, is the way forward?
Almost before I’ve finished asking the question, he wryly replies that
it needs a rebrand – it’s a “terrible name”, he says – but he does think
the movement and the people around it are thinking in the “right way”.

“We actually have to deal with this now,” he says, adding that we have
to do that in a way that is just and protects most people from the worst
effects of what is happening. That is what we should all be focused on.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/10/we-cant-pretend-the-ecological-crisis-is-separate-the-economist-thinking-differently-about-climate-breakdown?utm_

- -

/[ 13 min Podcast from the economist James Meadway -- how interest rates
impact emissions and over-heating ]/
*How Interest Hikes Fuel Climate Change*
 From the Macrodose podcast
https://www.everand.com/listen/podcast/692118450

/[The news archive - Rush brush ]/
/*January 11, 2013 */
January 11, 2013:
 From Media Matters
*Conservatives Once Again Cite Extreme Cold To Deny Climate Change*
WRITTEN BY THOMAS BISHOP

    After ignoring reports that 2012 was the hottest year on record in
    the U.S., Rush Limbaugh and Fox Business host Stuart Varney tried to
    push back against well-established evidence of climate change by
    citing instances of cold weather.

    On the January 11 edition of his radio show, Limbaugh said,
    “Twenty-seven degrees outside San Diego right now, 27 degrees, and
    they're talking about global warming” :
    Similarly, Varney cited examples of “snow in Jerusalem” and “a deep
    freeze in China and in Europe,” then said that “the green is
    demanding a carbon tax to prevent global warming.” Varney  added,
    “Climate's always changing, isn't it?”
    In addition to the fact that scientists have found enormous evidence
    of climate change and the human causes behind it, the existence of
    cold weather does not disprove global warming. Despite the
    right-wing media regularly claiming that cold or snowy weather is
    evidence that global warming isn't happening, climate scientists --
    including at least one who has disputed aspects of the scientific
    consensus on global warming -- reject the notion that a short-term
    change in weather, let alone an individual storm, can prove or
    disprove the existence of manmade climate change.

    The National Climate Data Center reported this week that 2012 was
    the warmest and second most extreme year on record for the
    contiguous U.S. Fox News largely ignored the story, which runs
    contrary to its narrative of denying climate change. When
    liberal-leaning Fox co-host Bob Beckel made the channel's first
    reference to the record heat, fellow co-host Greg Gutfeld shouted
    him down.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/11/conservatives-once-again-cite-extreme-cold-to-d/192202

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli