[✔️] Jan 24, 2024 Global Warming News | deGrasse Tyson, AI Climate on Mother Jones, ClimateGPT not ready, UN shames UK, 5 UK crackdowns, 2007 CBS IPCC

Wed Jan 24 10:02:28 EST 2024

/*January*//*24, 2024*/

/[ Climate Update - Neil deGrasse Tyson - informal overview - 16 min
video in the happy talk tone ]/
*How 2023 Broke Our Climate Models with Neil deGrasse Tyson & Gavin Schmidt*
StarTalk
Jan 23, 2024  Neil deGrasse Tyson Explains...
Why were climate models so wrong about 2023? Neil deGrasse Tyson learns
about why 2023 was hotter than we expected it to be and what effects
need to be factored into future climate modeling with climatologist at
NASA Goddard Institute, Gavin Schmidt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHJKKsOHtAk

/[  reading from Mother Jones article,  ]/
*AI and Climate Mayhem: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly*
Paul Beckwith
Jan 22, 2024
Artificial Intelligence (AI) impacts on climate change mayhem is a
double-edged sword.
Can we use AI to fight climate change, or is its ability on the dark
side to generate misinformation and disinformation too powerfully
overwhelming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cogaznUEa9M

/[ a premature announcement - not ready for prime time - a nice idea tho ]/
*Announcing ClimateGPT: The First Open Source Foundational AI Platform
Dedicated to Addressing the Impact of Climate Change*
AppTek
NEWS PROVIDED BY
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/announcing-climategpt-the-first-open-source-foundational-ai-platform-dedicated-to-addressing-the-impact-of-climate-change-302038979.html

- -

/[ Artificial Intelligence on climate ask ClimateGPT ]/
*ClimateGPT*
Alien from a planet that has stopped global warming, here to share
unique insights in climate change and climate tech.
By LEE CHERN WEI
Sign up for ChatGPT Plus to chat with ClimateGPT
https://chat.openai.com/g/g-mALBt24dr-climategpt

    *User inquiry:* Humans should be well informed about global warming
    and climate destabilization - in a one line summary, what are the
    most important recent news items on the subject for today.
    ChatGPT

    I apologize for the inconvenience, but it seems there was an issue
    with retrieving the recent news items on global warming and climate
    destabilization. I recommend checking reputable news sources such as
    BBC, CNN, or The Guardian for the latest updates on this topic.

    2 / 2
    *
    User*
    On climate change, what are the more important scientific insights
    that humans seem to be missing
    ChatGPT
    While I can't provide real-time updates, as of my last knowledge
    update in January 2022, there were several important scientific
    insights related to climate change that people might not be fully
    aware of. These include:

    Tipping Points: Scientists have raised concerns about potential
    tipping points in the climate system, where small changes could lead
    to abrupt and irreversible consequences, such as the collapse of
    major ice sheets or shifts in ocean circulation patterns.

    Ocean Acidification: Climate change isn't just about rising
    temperatures; it also leads to increased levels of carbon dioxide
    (CO2) being absorbed by the oceans, causing ocean acidification.
    This can harm marine ecosystems and species.

    Permafrost Thaw: The thawing of permafrost in the Arctic releases
    large amounts of methane, a potent greenhouse gas, into the
    atmosphere, which can accelerate global warming.

    Feedback Loops: There are various feedback loops in the climate
    system that can amplify warming. For example, as Arctic ice melts,
    it reduces the Earth's reflectivity, leading to more heat absorption
    and further ice melt.

    Impact on Biodiversity: Climate change poses a severe threat to
    biodiversity. Shifts in temperature and habitats can lead to species
    extinction and disruptions in ecosystems.

    Social and Economic Impacts: Beyond environmental effects, climate
    change has significant social and economic consequences, including
    displacement of communities due to sea-level rise and increased
    frequency of extreme weather events.

    Long-Term Effects: Climate change isn't just a problem for future
    generations; its effects are already being felt today, and its
    long-term consequences could be severe if mitigation efforts are not
    taken seriously.

    Please note that the understanding of climate change is continually
    evolving as new research is conducted, so it's essential to stay
    informed through reputable scientific sources for the latest
    insights and developments.
    *
    User*
    Jan 2022 is not a current enough to command respect for climate
    knowledge.
    ChatGPT
    I understand your concern, and I apologize for not being able to
    provide more up-to-date information on climate change. Since my
    knowledge is based on information available up to January 2022, I
    recommend checking reputable scientific journals, government
    agencies, and climate research organizations for the most current
    and respected insights into climate change...

/[ UN shames UK]/
*UN expert condemns UK crackdown on environmental protest*
UN special rapporteur on environmental defenders says he is seriously
concerned about ‘regressive new laws’
Five examples of the UK’s crackdown on climate protesters
Sandra Laville Environment correspondent
Tue 23 Jan 2024 06.34 EST
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/23/un-expert-condemns-uk-crackdown-on-environmental-protest

- -

/[ Five examples of the UK’s crackdown on climate protesters ]/
*Five examples of the UK’s crackdown on climate protesters*
As UN expert says UK’s actions are chilling and regressive, we look at
some of the cases
Sandra Laville
Tue 23 Jan 2024
As UN expert says UK’s actions are chilling and regressive, we look at
some of the cases
UN expert condemns UK crackdown on environmental protest/
/
The UN special rapporteur on environmental defenders Michel Forst has
said the UK’s crackdown on climate protesters is chilling, regressive
and a restriction on fundamental freedoms./
/
We look at some of the cases:

    Defendants on trial for peaceful protest were forbidden from
    mentioning the words climate change, fuel poverty or the civil
    rights movement when they were on trial for public nuisance. Several
    people, including a social worker, David Nixon, and the Dorset
    councillor Giovanna Lewis, were jailed for contempt of court when
    they defied the restrictions to explain their motivations for taking
    action to the jury.

    A retired social worker, Trudi Warner, is being prosecuted for
    contempt of court for holding up a sign outside a court defending
    the right of juries to decide a case on their conscience. The
    decision to prosecute was made by the then solicitor general Michael
    Tomlinson KC, a minister and the Conservative MP for Mid Dorset and
    North Poole.

    Stephen Gingell, 57, was jailed for six months after pleading guilty
    to taking part in a peaceful slow march protest on a London road.
    The sentence is thought to be the first jailing under the Public
    Order Act 2023, which includes an offence of “interference with key
    national infrastructure”. Gingell is appealing.

    Civil injunctions have been issued to hundreds of individuals.
    National Highways has injunctions covering 4,300 miles of motorways
    and major A roads. Anyone who breaches this injunction faces
    imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine. Any corporation can apply for
    a civil injunction, and individuals can be punished without a trial.

    Marcus Decker and Morgan Trowland made history as the peaceful
    protesters who have received the longest jail sentences in modern
    history in the UK when they were sentenced to two years and seven
    months, and three years respectively for public nuisance. They
    climbed the Queen Elizabeth II bridge over the Dartford Crossing and
    unveiled a banner for Just Stop Oil in 2022. The longest jail term
    issued to the suffragettes was three months./
    /

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/23/five-examples-of-the-uks-crackdown-on-climate-protesters/
/

/[The news archive - early IPCC  ]/
/*January 24, 2007 */
January 24, 2007: "CBS Evening News" provides a sneak preview of the 4th
IPCC report.
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/climate-change-cause-effect/

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli