[✔️] March 15, 2024 Global Warming News | Old Electric lines Texas fire, Hellacious hail, New sandy beach lasted 3 days, American resiliency, Oceans gone, 2012 Rachael meets Inofe

Fri Mar 15 15:39:59 EDT 2024

/*March*//*15, 2024*/

/[ danger of decrepitude  - NPR listen or read ]/
*Old power lines plus climate change mean a growing risk of utilities
starting fires*
MARCH 12, 20246:23 AM ET
By Julia Simon
A power pole "that appeared to be decayed at the base."

That's what Texas state investigators now say appears to have fallen and
caused the largest wildfire in the state's history. The electric utility
- Xcel Energy - said in a statement that "its facilities appear to have
been involved in an ignition of the Smokehouse Creek fire."

The U.S. is brimming with aging power infrastructure. Many of the
nation's power lines were built 60 to 70 years ago, says Rob Gramlich,
president of consulting firm Grid Strategies. "Old, literally rusted
assets," he says.

Many utilities don't have the technology to know when power lines are
overheating or sagging, potentially onto brush or trees, he says. These
things spark fires...
- -
And now those old power lines are coming into contact with the growing
impacts of human-caused global warming. Drier vegetation and hotter
weather caused by climate change can fuel larger, more intense wildfires.
Climate change has brought fire risk to unexpected places, like
Louisiana's wetlands and Maui, where high winds downing utility power
lines are under investigation for causing catastrophic fires. Utilities
are waking up to the threat of fire in new places and new times of the
year, says Scott Aaronson, senior vice president of security and
preparedness at the Edison Electric Institute, the leading trade group
for investor-owned utilities.

"This is not normal," Aaronson says. "There's not a single
investor-owned electric company that does not have fire risk on their
list of things that they are concerned about."

But not all these power companies are prepared, says Michael Wara,
director of the Climate and Energy Policy Program at the Woods Institute
for the Environment at Stanford University. He says his research in the
West finds too few utilities are adopting simple solutions that greatly
reduce the chance of igniting a wildfire.

"There are some utilities that are really leaders and are getting ahead
of the risk," Wara says. "And then there are others that we look at and
think are walking into a catastrophe."
- -
Whether utilities dedicate necessary resources to wildfire prevention
will not just affect Americans' safety, but also the affordability of
electric bills across the country, Wara says. He notes some utility
investors see growing financial risk because of increased wildfires.

"We cannot afford – literally, in terms of our pocketbooks – to have
utilities be perceived by their investors as high risk," Wara says.
"There is a set of practices that utilities can take that do not cost an
arm and a leg that can dramatically cut the risk of outcomes like we saw
in Texas."
https://www.npr.org/2024/03/12/1237063598/texas-fire-xcel-energy-climate-change-utility-power-lines

/[ Hellacious Hail Storm - brief video - baseball size ]/
*The worst hailstorm in history brings China to its knees! Natural disaster*
Painful Earth Shorts
  Mar 14, 2024  КИТАЙ
The worst hailstorm in history brings China to its knees! Natural disaster

In Guizhou, China, a storm of incredible intensity accompanied by
massive hailstones wreaked havoc.
The hail, reportedly as large as big apples, shattered 850 houses and
several thousand vehicles, causing chaos among the residents.
Emergency services rushed to the affected areas to assess the damage and
provide assistance to those affected by the calamity.
Residents are grappling with the aftermath, as the storm's ferocity left
streets littered with debris and shattered glass.
Authorities are urging residents to remain cautious as they work to
restore normalcy in the wake of this unprecedented storm event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czVdIL3MSSM

/[ Hubris humor or Lessons not learned will be repeated.  Even for
Massachusetts ]/
*Swept away: $500,000 sand dune built to protect US homes disappears in
days*
Property owners dumped 15,000 tons of sand in a Massachusetts town to
fend off dangerous tides, but it was swept away in 72 hours
Erum Salam
Wed 13 Mar 2024
A sand dune that cost homeowners on a Massachusetts beach more than half
a million dollars to construct has washed away after just three days.

An affluent group of beachfront property owners in Salisbury,
Massachusetts – a coastal town 35 miles north of Boston – are mourning
the loss of their investment after a safety measure they took to protect
their homes faile
The dune, made of 15,000 tons of sand, was meant to keep dangerous tides
from encroaching on to the shore and damaging beach houses. The dune had
just been completed in February but was gone within 72 hours.

Salisbury Beach Citizens for Change, the volunteer organization behind
the dune project, said on Facebook that even though the expensive
protection mechanism was destroyed within days, “the sacrificial dunes
did their job”, arguing that much more could have been destroyed were it
not for the presence of the dune.

As oceans around the world get warmer, sea levels rise due to thermal
expansion and weather patterns get more extreme, boosting coastal erosion.

Salisbury has suffered from rising sea levels, stronger winds and severe
storms in recent months, including two in January, that have battered
the area.

Digital meteorologist Jonathan Belles of the Weather Channel said: “From
nor’easters to hurricanes, Salisbury gets touched by several large
storms each year.”

“Their proximity to the Atlantic Ocean gives them a source of moisture
and their northern latitude also firmly places them under the powerful
jet stream during much of the year,” Belles said. “The town is also
affected by coastal flooding pushed ashore by storms out in the Atlantic.”

Now, the homeowners have asked the state to step in and provide assistance.
*Local news outlet Fox59 reported that the Republican state senator
Bruce Tarr was working to secure $1.5m in state funding to replenish the
sand.*

Tarr, noting that a more permanent seawall was not an option because
hard structures like these are not allowed on Massachusetts beaches,
said: “We’re managing a natural resource that protects a lot of interests.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/13/sand-dune-tide-beach-house-massachusetts

/[   Surprise, surprise!  Yikes! ]/
*Time To Get Weird: Bad Ocean News*
American Resiliency
Mar 14, 2024
Folks, it's time for an earth systems health check, and I don't like
what I see.  You know I don't like freaking people out, but it's
important to keep our eyes open, and I think there's stuff worth looking
at as you think about how you want to spend your time. Particularly as
we investigate a viewer question about the North Pacific Gyre.  Have you
heard of that?  I hadn't.  Let's take a look.

Observational Tools:
https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/
https://zacklabe.com/arctic-sea-ice-extentconcentration/

Paper for This Video:
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2021GL092911
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yIEyigxUVw

/[ Oh just accept it.  ]/
*The Oceans We Knew Are Already Gone*
As far as humanity is concerned, the transformation of our seas is
“effectively permanent.”
By Marina Koren
Even after nearly three months of winter, the oceans of the Northern
Hemisphere are disturbingly warm. Last summer’s unprecedented
temperatures—remember the “hot tub” waters off the coast of
Florida?—have simmered down to a sea-surface average around 68 degrees
Fahrenheit in the North Atlantic, but even that is unprecedented for
this time of year. The alarming trend stretches around the world: 41
percent of the global ocean experienced heat waves in January. The
temperatures are also part of a decades-long hot streak in the oceans.
“What we used to consider extreme is no longer an extreme today,” Dillon
Amaya, a research scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration’s Physical Sciences Laboratory, told me...
- --
The idea of that permanence is chilling. Humanity’s tenure on Earth may
be but a blink in our planet’s history, and yet we have made a certain
cosmic choice that will affect the course of the universe. As I’ve
written before, Earth has the only good oceans that we know of, despite
the fact that the cosmos is excellent at forging new planets around
faraway suns. Just this week, scientists released telescope observations
of dozens of stars surrounded by swirling disks of gas and dust, the
stuff that can eventually coalesce into whole worlds.

Perhaps there are many other Earths out there, and their inhabitants
have, like us, altered them. Usually, when scientists and writers
imagine such modifications, they envision planet-enveloping Dyson
spheres to harness solar energy, or some other megastructure meant to
support the hum of life—something that signals a more enlightened and
seamless existence. Humans are certainly creating impressive,
life-sustaining technologies. But it seems possible that our most
lasting cosmic mark will instead make things more difficult for our
oceans, the beings within, and ourselves.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2024/03/ocean-heat-wave-cosmic-choice/677672/

/[The news archive -  Inhofe interviewed by Rachel Maddow - see all
three about the Senate's top propagandist of that era ]/
/*March 15,  2012 */
March 15, 2012: MSNBC's Rachel Maddow interviews Senator James Inhofe
about his bizarre insistence that climate change is some sort of hoax.
http://youtu.be/Nrwem8waEx8  (Part 1)
http://youtu.be/TdaZ5zIWB-M  (Part 2)
http://youtu.be/9kbxIa4LGUs  (Part 3)

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli