[✔️] March 29, 2024 Global Warming News | Mortgage risk, Elizabeth Kolbert, Ice melt loses time, Negative leap second, Revolution needed, 2016 si, ,

R.Pauli Richard at CredoandScreed.com
Fri Mar 29 11:03:41 EDT 2024

/*March*//*29, 2024*/

/[ Know the risk before you show the money ]
/*Rising Temperatures, Rising Prices: How Climate Drives Inflation*
Climate One
Mar 29, 2024  The Climate One Podcast
Climate change means extreme weather, shifting landscapes, and generally
more instability. More and more, you can feel the impacts of climate
disruption in your wallets. Drought is pushing up the cost of candy and
leading to shipping delays in the Panama Canal.

Globally, researchers say climate could add one percent to inflation
every year until 2035. The costs of car insurance, health insurance and
property insurance are rising. And whether it’s tea in the morning or
wine in the evening, disrupted climate patterns and extreme weather are
making certain foods more expensive.

This week, we unpack how climate change drives inflation.

Guests:
Nicholas Stern, IG Patel Chair of Economics and Government, London
School of Economics
Jeremy Porter, Head of Climate Implications Research, First Street
Foundation
Avery Ellfeldt, Reporter, E&E News
Lea Borkenhagen, Senior Vice President, EDF+Business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDWfTjhU9y4/

/[ Kolbert - live discussion - "We are in an emergency" ]/
*Elizabeth Kolbert: H Is for Hope*
Climate One
March 28, 2024
Elizabeth Kolbert began reporting on the increasingly devastating
effects of climate change in the early 2000s – before Al Gore’s
breakthrough documentary “An Inconvenient Truth.” Kolbert’s reporting
became the foundation of her book “Field Notes from a Catastrophe,”
which sounded the alarm on the causes and effects of global warming. In
the two decades since then, the frequency and intensity of
climate-induced disasters has only intensified. And yet, Kolbert’s
latest book is titled “H Is for Hope: Climate Change from A to Z.” So
where does she see cause for hope? What is the world finally doing
right? And what work still needs to be done?

Join Climate One Co-Host Ariana Brocious for a live-streamed
conversation with Pulitzer Prize-winning author and journalist Elizabeth
Kolbert as we unpack the state of the world’s climate and on-going
efforts to mitigate future disaster.

Guest:
Elizabeth Kolbert, Journalist and Author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01smszR6Gnk

/[ explained - why melt waters slow down time - Beckwith reads  ]/
*Melting Polar Ice Caps Slows Down Earth’s Rotation Making Days Longer,
Messes with Global UTC Time*
Paul Beckwith
Mar 28, 2024
We know that ongoing acceleration of global warming is melting polar ice
caps more quickly.

When the polar ice (located close to the Earth’s axis of rotation)
melts, the meltwater distributes over the global oceans, raising sea
levels but also increasing the so-called Moment of Inertia (I) of the
Earth system (sorry to remind you of your high school physics).

Since Angular Momentum (L) is conserved, and we calculate L = I times
omega, as I increases then omega (angular frequency of Earth, which is
tangential velocity times distance to axis of rotation) must decrease.
Thus, melting polar ice caps slows down Earth’s rotation rate.

This slowing down makes days longer, and we must compensate our global
timekeeping of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) by periodic
discontinuous additions of “one leap second” every few years. Because of
accelerated ice melt, we will need to remove “one leap second” in 2029;
3 years later  than would be needed if polar ice melt was not accelerating.

Climate change really does have profound effects on our planet.

Why the figure skater? Well, we are like her when her arms and legs are
tight to her body axis of spin. Melting polar ice caps is putting mass
further from the spin axis, analogous to her putting her arms and a leg
outward, slowing down the spin rate, making a complete revolution take
longer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxp16jKtrDA

- -

/[ BBC report on the World's first "Negative Leap Second" ]/
*Climate change could affect timekeeping, study says*
Climate change is affecting the speed of the Earth's rotation and could
impact how we keep time, a study says.

Accelerating melt from Greenland and Antarctica is adding extra water to
the world's seas, redistributing mass.

That is very slightly slowing the Earth's rotation. But the planet is
still spinning faster than it used to.

The effect is that global timekeepers may need to subtract a second from
our clocks later than would otherwise have been the case.

"Global warming is already affecting global timekeeping," says the
study, published in the journal Nature.
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) - which is used by most of the world to
regulate clocks and time - is calculated by the Earth's rotation.

But the Earth's rotation rate is not constant and can therefore have an
effect on how long our days and nights are.

Changes to the planet's liquid core have meant the Earth has been
spinning slightly quicker.

Since the 1970s, to correct for this, about 27 leap seconds have been
added to the global clock, with timekeepers planning on subtracting a
second for the first time in 2026. This is known as a "negative leap
second."

However, the study finds that ice melt caused by climate change has
partly offset that acceleration.
Ice sheets are now losing mass five times faster than they were 30 years
ago, meaning that the negative leap second change will not be needed
until 2029, the study suggests.

"It's kind of impressive, even to me, we've done something that
measurably changes how fast the Earth rotates," Duncan Agnew, the author
of the study, told NBC News.

"Things are happening that are unprecedented."

The negative leap second has never been used before and, according to
the study, its use "will pose an unprecedented problem" for computer
systems across the world.

"This has never happened before, and poses a major challenge to making
sure that all parts of the global timing infrastructure show the same
time," Mr Agnew, who is a researcher at the University of California,
San Diego told AFP news agency.
"Many computer programs for leap seconds assume they are all positive,
so these would have to be rewritten," he added.

There has been some scepticism of the study, however.

Demetrios Matsakis, former chief scientist for time services at the US
Naval Observatory, told AFP that "Earth is too unpredictable to be sure"
if a negative leap second would be needed any time soon.

Human activities like burning fossil fuels are causing world
temperatures to rise.

That temperature rise is having a huge effect on the environment,
including the rapid melting of glaciers and ice sheets.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68684244

- -

/A negative leap second is a second that is subtracted from our clocks
to keep them in sync with the Earth's rotation. It is the opposite of a
positive leap second, which is a one-second addition to our clocks./

/[ Farming and revolution - discussion-  video ]/
*We Need A Revolution To Save Humanity*
Roger Hallam
Mar 28, 2024  MANCHESTER
I recently spoke to Ad and Andrew of @gndmedia9158 on how Extinction
Rebellion was built, its successes and shortcomings, why revolution is
the only answer now as we head past 1.5 degrees and why citzens
assemblies can be the mechanism for the revolution.
00:00 - Intro
02:06 - Roger's Background
07:21 - Changes in Farming
20:44 - Formation and Growth of Extinction Rebellion
40:00 - Building The Revolution
---
For Roger's latest updates and to support his work, sign up to his email
list at 👉https://rogerhallam.com/#/portal/signup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGDbcdOWKGg

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*March 29, 2016 */

March 29, 2016:
The New York Times reports:

"Deadly summer heat waves in the eastern United States may be
predictable nearly two months before they occur, giving emergency
planners and farmers more time to prepare, scientists reported on Monday."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/29/science/heat-wave-predictions-weather.html

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli