[YARDStick] Errors after changing firmware (probable PEBKAC)

Neil Rame mrneilrame at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:16:28 EDT 2016

Hey all,

I recently started playing with a YS1 and wanted it to play nice on a linux
VM on a Windows 10 box, I got the same problems as described in this email:
https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/yardstick/2016-May/000030.html
(cheers Dominic for the info in that email archive and creating the
modified firmware).

I followed the instructions in there and it looked like I had managed to
update the firmware properly, however when I tried to talk to the YS1 with
rfcat I was getting errors(everything done so far was in linux live cd):

#rfcat -r
Error in resetup():Exception('No Dongle Found. Please insert a RFCAT
dongle.',)

# rfcat --bootloader --force

Entering RfCat Bootloader mode, ready for new image...

SETUP Failed. Timeout waiting for USB response.

Error in resetup():TypeError('ord() expected string of length 1, but
NoneType found',)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/rfcat", line 49, in <module>

RfCat(ifo.index).bootloader()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/rflib/chipcon_nic.py", line 298, in
__init__

self.mhz = CHIPmhz.get(self.chipnum)

AttributeError: RfCat instance has no attribute 'chipnum'

I found a thread online with pretty much the same problem with the Toorcon
14 badge:
https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/36863-toorcon-14-badge-error/ They
fixed it by reflashing the firmware. However I do not yet have a goodFET,
so that route isn't an option at the moment.

Am I doing something stupid/Can this be fixed with software? If the answer
is no, do I need to get my hands on a goodFET to reflash the YS1 or is
there another way I can do it? I have access to a couple of JTAG
communication devices but I'm a n00b when it comes to hardware hacking so
don't know if I can do anything useful in this scenario.

It's worth saying that I was working on a few things at the time and I may
have done something silly when reflashing it, I think that is a much more
likely explanation of how I got here than the instructions in the email
archive causing this error!

I would really appreciate any help offered.

Cheers :)