[YARDStick] Firmware update via Windows 7

Dave Wakelee dwakelee at rochester.rr.com
Fri Nov 18 12:27:35 EST 2016

Just purchased a Yardstick one combo (case + antenna), and I have the
dreaded "Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Descriptor)" in Windows
10.  The Yardstick works fine on a Windows 7 machine, so this is clearly the
firmware issue described regarding the USB descriptor.

I would like to reflash the Yardstick using my working Windows 7 PC so I can
use the device in Windows 10 (I am not a Linux guy).  Some questions...

1) What are the steps to update the firmware using Windows 7?  I've seen
references to these commands on Linux...

rfcat --bootloader --force
rfcat_bootloader /dev/RFCAT_BL_YS1 erase_all
rfcat_bootloader /dev/RFCAT_BL_YS1 download RfCatYS1CCBootloader.hex
rfcat_bootloader /dev/RFCAT_BL_YS1 verify RfCatYS1CCBootloader.hex
rfcat_bootloader /dev/RFCAT_BL_YS1 run

I'm assuming that all of the above will run by preceding the commands with
'python', but I'm skeptical that the '/dev/RFCAT_BL_YS1' is a valid device
path for Windows.  What are the proper commands to flash the new firmware
using Windows 7?

2) When reflashing the bootloader .hex file, is the application firmware
also included within that file?  I'm a bit concerned with running the
'erase_all' command, and then only flashing a bootloader and loosing the
application firmware.

Thanks very much for any help.

Current environment (from Windows 7) below..

>>> print d.reprRadioConfig()
== Hardware ==
Dongle:              YARDSTICKONE
Firmware rev:        0348
Compiler:            Not found! Update needed!
Bootloader:          CC-Bootloader

== Software ==
rflib rev:           397