[YARDStick] TX / RX amplifiers on Yardstick

Dave Wakelee dwakelee at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 24 15:32:39 EDT 2017

Does anyone know the details of the TX and RX amplifiers used in the YARD
Stick One?  The schematic just has general placeholders (TX_AMP / RX_AMP)
without part numbers, and there is no BOM / parts list on github (unlike the
other greatscottgadgets projects).

I'm asking as I'm having some trouble receiving certain low power 915MHz OOK
messages with the Yard Stick, whereas the RTL-SDR dongle gets these messages
without trouble.  OOK settings are per the TI app note, and I can receive
other OOK messages (433MHz, long preamble) without issue.

Although I have no problems transmitting, I'd like to also understand what
constraints and capabilities exist when the transmit amp is enabled (what is
the dB gain, what is the max output that the TI chip can be set to when
using the amp, etc).  I've not seen either the TX/RX dBm levels documented
anywhere for the YARD Stick One, either with or without the amplifiers
engaged.

I'm fairly certain that my receive problem has to do with analog and digital
gain (and AGC), so any info regarding the TX and RX amplifier details would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave