[412-code-talk] Do you have any classic Google websites?

Mark Rauterkus mark.rauterkus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 17:48:32 EDT 2021

Reminder from Google.

In August 2020, we sent you a message that you own one or more classic
Google Sites. To ensure others can continue to see your websites, you must
convert them to the new Google Sites experience before* September 2021*.
What do I need to know?

In 2016, we launched
<https://notifications.google.com/g/p/AD-FnEwHZHchG1T8RJMp-Zja6A2lKW9rcb3Ax6mL_gS1ePhbLo62-pwMgC6afw18jypLycd4ntz0db_IrPqYEsgGPd3YbUcqd0mwzMagNtQVoOnJ8jNijOHdceA5gRta0JLinQD0ljOjkqNBLY33bk34tx8oEBEJULQ>
an
updated Google Sites designed to help you create websites without
programming skills, optimize across mobile and desktop, and co-build with
real-time collaboration. In 2017, we announced
<https://notifications.google.com/g/p/AD-FnEwJTpegL9DhVVupwIvMm3MHT6Cu4R3XCvNuBUWALP9pH0JdCnhM4VmbHWzT9Ju0zcSbViSFJE2IHiDdyvaWeYOg1jrUW6Xk1jmO-D2OhxRvEgVSSynVZ5jbpI4qw3YBLlCYiCtGhJ11DFdqGKzzRAMNt7gVSAU>
that
we are replacing the previous Sites experience, referred to as classic
Sites, with our new Google Sites product. In August 2020, we shared more
details about the transition timeline
<https://notifications.google.com/g/p/AD-FnEyKqV_4Fj0dJY3SIzY4sF2-Rb9QwDICutdhOBlHOR5kIK3oLqnzRNlWvAqQvzjp9Nyw5yZJZYbBFveCtZjQpTMaiuztpgytGMNK00_axAJpad4>
.
What do I need to do?

*Start your migration today.* If you want your websites to continue to be
viewable by others, you must convert and publish
<https://notifications.google.com/g/p/AD-FnExS_kuC_KmBn2yA-ciPof71DvfEkgii87_tN7A3Oy8wBEwW7Ys7xcHZlTu6GNSydorOMhMXwy-mWhqk1t7zhO35qBtqVq27_axZ8ODP4ShILf7x1fA>
them
to the new Google Sites experience before* September 1, 2021*.

You can use the Classic Sites Manager
<https://notifications.google.com/g/p/AD-FnEyQBSkwsaoGK5y8sFSWfsYqU4SY93KvL0duoDo3VicbIdQq5BMGVozDjKQrebZ4r7Vrsduu3Gn9-9IWw2O6CUPxRQ_eirsGhm-7rBvlv9A>
help you transition your websites as follows:

   -  *Convert your websites to the new experience* if you want them to
   continue to be available to visitors.
   -  *Download your websites* if you want to store archived versions of
   your websites.
   -  *Delete websites* that you no longer need.

*If you take no action*, *starting September 1*, your websites will
automatically be converted as follows:

   - Downloaded as an archive and saved to your Google Drive.
   - Replaced with a draft in the new Google Sites experience for you to
   review and publish.

For more details about this process, refer to the Sites Help Center
<https://notifications.google.com/g/p/AD-FnEza-yyyAfztaKRbLug-7eSBSStkEDQ80l6lJWaJNHMcYncaInKnOiQOMXSIjtvmoI3TX_SU02MlI6DpykVLZ5PwCrtyg53U5buxkfOhnUasKYhyueHcI_2LL-rl>
.
Learn more about Google Sites

We’ve listened to your feedback, and your top requests are now included in
the Google Sites experience.

   - *Section layouts* and *pre-built templates* let you create websites
   with fewer clicks and less site creation knowledge.
   - *Version history* allows you to see your edit history, revert and
   restore previous versions, and review the history of who made changes.
   - *Customized text styles *and new *tile types* let you be more
   expressive with website content, including a table of contents, image
   carousels, collapsible text, and more.
   - *Custom URLs* and *publishing to an audience* let you share your
   website content.

See what else is new
<https://notifications.google.com/g/p/AD-FnEx8dkLjbAPhacm2tTyby5mU6HEOXrXSzkJn9jxFwow-nnnPl8fRBnhveW01-cbPM42N1ESdTphiNevr8uB1CJ6mUQ545Bu8XmhZ8-lXlhAFVxk>
in
Google Sites.
How can I get help?

For additional resources on what you need to know and how to manage your
transition, visit the Sites Help Center
<https://notifications.google.com/g/p/AD-FnEyDF_N3g5JjAveLe8NUq893AaTeph5D0E50R-ygcY60ZCO-7kOgnyMSnPS9zOP97rwoR5W9mhJAd98rUhOPajp3HEeamq5V31RvO7Or0JOcgA>
.

Thanks for choosing Google Sites.