{news} RE: Did the CT Green Party lose it's Presidential ballot line?

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 23:30:08 EST 2004

I believe Chris is right--this was not surprising.  Here are the full
results that Chris refers to:

http://network.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2004/general/by_state/pres_sen_gov/CT.html?SITE=CTHARELN&SECTION=POLITICS
Connecticut
President - 759 of 759 Precincts Reporting
Name			Party		Votes			Pct
Bush, George (i)	Rep		686,923		43.99
Kerry, John		Dem		847,666		54.29
Nader, Ralph		PEC		12,708		.81
Badnarik, Michael	Lib		3,252		.21
Cobb, David		Grn		9,449		.61
Peroutka, Michael	CC		1,505		.10

I suppose Cobb supporters and Nader supporters can justifiably accuse each
other of "spoiling" the ballot access, and I did worry about this myself
when Nader was petitioning.  (Question:  why didn't Nader petition for a
Reform Party ballot line?  Would it have been a good thing or a bad thing if
the Reform Party had regained ballot access in CT?)

All in all, however, I think it was worth losing ballot access just to have
2 progressive candidates running in the state.  Cobb, Nader, and VP
candidates LaMarche and Camejo all toured CT during the campaign, inspiring
voters.  Nader gave a great speech last night on CSPAN.

David Bedell

IRV - Instant Runoff Voting - IRV - Instant Runoff Voting - IRV - Instant
Runoff Voting - IRV - Instant Runoff Voting - IRV - Instant Runoff Voting -