{news} GP Announces Accreditation of Nat'l Women's Caucus

Judith Herkimer jherkimer at snet.net
Tue Nov 23 15:19:35 EST 2004

GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
http://www.gp.org

For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Contacts:
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-518-5624,
cell 202-487-0693, mclarty at greens.org
Nancy Allen, Media Coordinator, 207-326-4576,
nallen at acadia.net
Nan Garrett, National Women's Caucus
Spokesperson, 770-216-8632, 404-229-0626,
ngarrett at greens.org

GREEN PARTY ANNOUNCES ACCREDITATION OF NATIONAL
WOMEN'S CAUCUS

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Green Party of the United
States announced the accreditation of the
National Women's Caucus today, after the party's
national Coordinating Committee granted the
caucus a voting seat.

"The National Women's Caucus is the first
national organized effort for women in the
history of the Green Party," said Maya O'Connor,
Green Party Co-chair.  "We are proud to announce
and celebrate the overwhelming vote to seat the
caucus and a great victory for women in the
Party."

The accreditation vote caps over two years of
organizing to qualify for affiliation with the
Green Party.  Along with a vote on the National
Committee, the National Women's Caucus will be
able to send delegates to Green Party committees
and enjoy access to many party resources.

"Now that we're accredited, we have the fastest
growing political party in the United States
solidly behind us, as well as a platform that is
bold for women," said Morgen D'Arc, co-founder
and Co-chair of the caucus.  The Green Party
platform section on women's rights can be read at
<http://www.gp.org/platform/2004/socjustice.html#998980>.

"We will reach into the party to represent the
needs and interests of women and reach outside to
attract greater participation and collaboration,"
added Ms. D'Arc.

"The Green Party recognizes the need to give
voice, a vote, and the ability to affect policy
to communities that have been historically
oppressed, underrepresented, and
disenfranchised," said Holly Hart, National
Women's Caucus delegate to the Coordinating
Committee and Co-chair of the party's Platform
Committee.  "Conditions for women are declining.
We will bring issues to the table that aren't
getting enough attention, such as the staggering
poverty of single mothers, violence against
women, equal pay, a living wage, and the
continuing reality that women live without the
security of constitutional equal rights."

Caucus members have also spoken out for the
rights and welfare of women in Iraq, Afghanistan,
and other nations where women have been under
threat of violence and repression.  The Green
Party of the United States includes feminism
among its Ten Key Values
<http://www.gp.org/tenkey.html>.

"Many Americans identify the Green Party with
environmental issues," said Ms. D'Arc.  "However,
the National Women's Caucus, in emphasizing
social justice and women's rights with an
electoral imperative, will help to define the
Green Party for people as well and as the only
party that prioritizes and cares about women."

The Black Caucus and Lavender Green Caucus
(representing gay, lesbian, bisexual,
transgender, intersex, and queer Greens) have
already been accredited by the Green Party.

MORE INFORMATION

The Green Party of the United States
http://www.gp.org
1700 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 404
Washington, DC 20009.
202-319-7191, 866-41GREEN
Fax 202-319-7193

National Women's Caucus
http://www.gp.org/committees/women/index.html
natlwomens-caucus at gp-us.org

2004 Green candidates and election results
http://www.greens.org/elections
http://gp.org/2004election/president2004.html

~ END ~