{news} Ralph Ferrucci in the Bristol Press

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 31 14:13:10 EST 2004

http://www.bristolpress.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13260000

10/31/2004

DeLauro faces two foes for her U.S. rep. seat

By JEFF MILL , The Herald Press

Two rivals, including one who ran in 2002, are trying to unseat the veteran
incumbent congresswoman in the Third Congressional District.

For the past 14 years, the seat has been held by Democrat Rosa DeLauro. This
year, she again faces opposition from Richter "Rick" Elser, a New Haven
resident and businessman who chal-lenged her in 2002, and from Green Party
candidate Ralph Ferrucci, an artist who is also a bread and cookie
deliveryman.

A self-described moderate Republican, Elser calls his ’02 contest with
DeLauro "a learning experience," that provided him with name recognition and
something else: an awareness that "I like campaigning."

Born on Philadelphia’s Main Line, Elser, 45, came to New Haven to attend
Yale University. He earned a history degree and graduated in 1981, and then
stayed on in the Elm City. At one point, he ran Richter’s, a popular in-town
bar; he later ran the Tibwin restaurant on College Street.

He has described himself as "the only guy in the race who has actually held
a real job, met a payroll, dealt with taxes, and knows how government
legislation impacts small business owners."

He has come back to that fact again and again during the campaign, urging a
policy that, if not pro-business in the strictest sense, at the very least
encourages more awareness of the pressures on small businesses, which he has
describes as the lifeblood of the economy.

On the other side of the political spectrum from Elser stands Ferrucci, 32,
who like the Republi-can, is also a New Haven resident.

Ferrucci is also fairly bursting with ideas, on everything from the war in
Iraq to the centerpiece of his campaign, universal health care for all
Americans.

It is an issue that is very personal to him.

"Right now, there are nearly 45 million people who live without health care.
In fact, I am one of those people," he explained. "The rising cost of health
are has made it hard for lower and middle income (people) to be able to
afford it."

Ferrucci proposes a single-payer universal health care that calls for
expanding Medicare. He says not only will it meet the goal of providing
health care to all citizens, but it will save money.

"The system john Kerry is proposing will cost too much money," he said.

But Ferrucci said his proposal will save as much as $286 billion a year from
a health care bu-reaucracy that is fast approaching $400 billion annually.

"This system has worked well in other countries, none of which spend as much
as we do per capita for health care," he said, adding that the U.S. "is the
only industrialized nation that does not have a universal health are
system." Cuba has a better system than the U.S., Ferrucci said.

On Iraq, Ferrucci is equally emphatic: he is calling for a pullout of U.S.
troops within six months.

"It is time to pull out our soldiers, foreign contractors, and the foreign
investors who are in Iraq," he said, adding that it can be done is such a
way that "we will not leave Iraq to become an anarchist state."

"First, we need to give the oil back to the people of Iraq." Ferrucci would
do that by setting up what is in essence a stock option program, in which
every Iraqi over the age of 18 would get "one share in Iraqi oil -- and no
one can own more than one share."

"This will give the people of Iraq a reason to live and something to be
proud of," he insisted. Next, he calls for setting up a peace force which
will take the place of U.S. troops and ensure na-tional elections can be
held. Finally, he said the U.S. must contribute humanitarian aid "to build
back the infrastructure we helped to destroy. We cannot leave the country in
the shape it is in."

Finally, in an effort to create jobs, Ferrucci calls for tuition-free higher
education for students who go to state universities.

Sending people back to school for re-training can create jobs in biotech,
education, and nursing, all areas he said that are now facing a shortage of
trained workers.

To contact Jeff Mill, call (860)347-3331 ext. 221 or email
jmill at middletownpress.com.

©The Bristol Press 2004