{news} annual meeting directions/speakers/details--this Sunday 11am New Haven

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 13 22:14:06 EDT 2005

**Please disseminate this e-mail widely within the CT Green Party.  Chapters, please put it on your chapter listserves.  Could someone put it on the Women's Caucus listserve?

Connecticut Green Party Annual Meeting (includes election of officers)
Greater New Haven Central Labor Council Office
267 Chapel St, New Haven
(Driving directions below.)

11am until approximately 4:30pm

11am-noon  Socialize and potluck lunch.
     Come meet your fellow Greens and socialize--no decisions need to
     be made and you don't need to read an agenda beforehand!!

      (Those who can help set up might be able to get into the hall somewhat earlier--a prior meeting in the hall was said to be ending by 10:30am)

Noon-1pm  Candidate forum.
     Candidates for the positions listed below have been invited to speak and answer questions from the audience.  Nominations will be accepted from the floor of the annual meeting for these positions.
  Co-chair:  Aaron Gustafson, Kelly McCarthy, Mike DeRosa
  Treasurer:  no candidate (Bob Eaton withdrew and is no longer a candidate)
  Secretary:  Barbara Barry DeRosa
  US Green Party reps:  Tim McKee, Tom Sevigny
  US Green Party rep alternate:  Karin Norton
1pm-1:15pm  Voting

1:15-approximately 4:30   Speakers:
Dr. John Battista--universal health care in Connecticut
Brent McMillan, political director of the national Green Party
Caleb Kleppner--instant runoff voting (unconfirmed, though hopes to speak to us)
     (Caleb Kleppner has been associated with the Center for Voting and Democracy, www.fairvote.org.
      He played a key role in the successful 2002 ballot measure in San Francisco in 2002 that
      implemented instant runoff voting for all local offices.)
People who are members of the CT Green Party are entitled to vote (ballots will be available at the annual meeting).  (You may also request a ballot to be e-mailed to you by sending a request to JeandeSmet at galaxyinternet.net.   The ballot you receive by e-mail can be sent back by US mail;  it must be postmarked by April 16.  Since this arrangement means that ballots mailed out may not have reached the internal elections committee by the day of the annual meeting, final results may not be able to be announced at the annual meeting.)  See below for the bylaws definition of who's a member of the CT Green Party.
Directions to Greater New Haven Central Labor Council Office
(Thanks to David Bedell for these.)
267 Chapel Street, New Haven, CT (parking lot entrance on Saltonstall Ave)

>From I-91 Southbound (from Hartford) or I-95 Southbound (from New London):
(If on I-95, after crossing the Q Bridge take Exit #48 to join I-91.)
Take Exit #2 - Hamilton Street.
Go straight one block on Ives Place.
Turn right onto East Street.
Go one block, turn left onto Chapel Street.
Go over the Mill River Bridge, take the first left onto Mill Street.
Go one block, turn right onto Saltonstall Ave.
Turn right into the rear parking lot.
Enter from the back door.

>From I-95 Northbound (from Bridgeport):
Take Exit #46 - Long Wharf.
Turn left onto Long Wharf Drive.
Go 0.9 mi. on Long Wharf Drive (which becomes East Street) past the Rusty
Scupper, the Maritime Center, & Texaco station to the next traffic light.
Turn right on Chapel Street.
Go over the Mill River Bridge, take the first left onto Mill Street.
Go one block, turn right onto Saltonstall Ave.
Turn right into the rear parking lot.
Enter from the back door.

MapQuest map:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=267+Chapel+St&city=new+haven&state=ct
Bylaws definition of a member of the Connecticut Green Party (and hence entitled to vote at the annual meeting):

Individual Membership (Modified by statewide vote in 2001):

Anyone registered to vote as a Green is a Green Party member.

In addition, anyone who can satisfy (and verify) at least 2 of

the following criteria will be considered a Green Party member:

   have attended 2 meetings of the Green Party (either state

   meetings or meetings of an officially recognized chapter)

   within the past 12 months;

   are on the state's official mailing list; and/or have

   submitted a written (or email) request for membership or

   informational materials from the Party;

   have performed at least 2 volunteer activities with the

   Green Party (or with a coalition partner) of the Green Party

   within the past 12 months.